Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

You realize Mike Roach has been at 247 for like 5 years now, right?

I didn't realize it had been that long. I just checked out HornsSports for the 1st time since, I guess 5 years ago. Reminded me of the Hamm startup. Whatever happened to Hamm's Handler?

1 minute ago, HtownHorn said:

I didn't realize it had been that long. I just checked out HornsSports for the 1st time since, I guess 5 years ago. Reminded me of the Hamm startup. Whatever happened to Hamm's Handler?

Ah, the Other98. I dunno, I assume he’s bankrupt and working as a low level insurance analyst. @closetojumping might know, they vetted his firm for some contract work, but I don’t think they got the bid. If memory served Hamm showed up to the meeting and handed out homemade business cards that said “Recruiting Jesus” with Jimbo Fisher’s picture on it and then stole a bunch of Keurig coffee cups from the break room. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Ah, the Other98. I dunno, I assume he’s bankrupt and working as a low level insurance analyst. @closetojumping might know, they vetted his firm for some contract work, but I don’t think they got the bid. If memory served Hamm showed up to the meeting and handed out homemade business cards that said “Recruiting Jesus” with Jimbo Fisher’s picture on it and then stole a bunch of Keurig coffee cups from the break room. 

Dude never seems to stick more than a year in a job: https://www.linkedin.com/in/taylor-hamm-132379a9/

11 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I sat for a second trying to determine if this was a real story or not. I came to the conclusion that I don't care. I would rather live in a world where I believe it's true.

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Noozak said:

I sat for a second trying to determine if this was a real story or not. I came to the conclusion that I don't care. I would rather live in a world where I believe it's true.

17 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Don't worry, he'll be  along at some point to clarify. 

In a bizarre way, Sydney is actually underselling the way that whole shitshow was handled. It's another case of Hamm just immediately pulling the bookshelf on top of himself when given an opportunity to turn his career arc around.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Lou_Sassle said:

Seems like a weird take for LSWho at this point. Dude only has 3 offers and the other 2 are from UH and UNLV. I guess they see something they like...

LSU was his first offer on 1/2 - he RT'd this article:

here is his jr year hudl:

40 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Dude never seems to stick more than a year in a job: https://www.linkedin.com/in/taylor-hamm-132379a9/

If this resume came across my desk it would be immediately tossed. Word to the wise, if you’re a terrible employee that can’t last more than ten months at any job, don’t put the months you were at the job, only use the years. Putting 2018-2019 looks a lot better than you were there from November to February 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

Gerry: IT visits Bremond (2022 DL Jaray Bledsoe), Kyle Flood and Bo Davis reaching out to 2022s

Spoiler

IT made a visit to Bremond High on Wednesday to check out 2022 fast rising defensive end/tackle prospect Jaray Bledsoe. First, Bledsoe absolutely has the body type, frame and athlete that every college in the country covets. He's a legit 6-4, hovering around 270-pounds, has 10.5-inch hands, a likely 79-80-inch wingspan when eventually measured and has yet to scratch the surface in terms of how strong he can get. Watching him briefly in hoops practice, Bledsoe can dunk the basketball and shows agility/dexterity on the basketball court. One of the more impressive things was when Bledsoe was stretching, he casually put both palms flat on the ground with zero flex in the knees. Bledsoe is a blank slate so to speak from an athletic standpoint, partly due to covid and the Bremond staff not having a real opportunity to work with him in an off-season.

Bledsoe, who is originally from nearby Marlin and spent his sophomore season there, has seen his recruitment blow up since the son of Bremond head coach Jeff Kasowski made a 2020 highlight for him. Bledsoe posted it on his Twitter December 16. Baylor became his first offer December 19, and was followed by Oklahoma State December 24th. This week took Bledsoe's recruitment to another level with an offer from Oklahoma Monday, followed by Arkansas, Texas A&M, Texas and Oregon on Tuesday.

Bremond head coach Jeff Kasowski was on the phone essentially the entire day on Tuesday with the four programs that offered wanting to learn as much as they could about a prospect that was an unknown in the recruiting world until December 16th.

It's too early to know who will emerge as the top programs for Bledsoe, a prospect that didn't grow up watching a lot of college football. The Oklahoma offer definitely caught his attention. Texas A&M and Texas did too. Texas A&M is already putting on the full court press.

Kyle Flood reaches out to 2022 OL's:
*Flood has reached out to Allen 2022 OT/G Neto Umeozulu. It was more of an introductory reach out, just to let Umeozulu know he is a priority target of the Sarkisian's staff.

*Flood has been in contact with Summer Creek OT Kelvin Banks "several times" since being hired at Texas. Flood has told Banks "that I would be one of his guys to start the legacy at Texas." Texas A&M has been/is trending with the 6-foot-5, 300-pound tackle that excels in pass pro. The Aggies have made efforts to lock up the Houston area early in the 2022 cycle. Throughout the season, Texas A&M, LSU and Texas were considered the top three.

Bo Davis all over Bledsoe, reaches out to 2022 DE:
*As mentioned, Bo Davis has quickly made Jaray Bledsoe a priority. Denton Ryan DT Bear Alexander is also a priority for Davis and the new staff. North Shore DT Kristopher Ross is also a 2022 DT that Davis has reached out about.

*Davis has reached out to Arlington Martin DE Ernest Cooper since arriving in Austin. Davis' message to Cooper? "He said he liked my film, and wanted to build a genuine relationship with me as a person," Cooper said. The 6-foot-4, 235-pound Cooper is considered a heavy lean to Stanford.

*The new Texas staff will also prioritize Duncanville's Omari Abor.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

A few things here. 

1.) While I generally agree with you, I think the recruiting business can be known for high turnover and lots of movement between spots. Now, is some of that the nature of the business, and some of that the nature of the kind of people who work in that business? Dunno. I'm some folks could chime in, and I know CTJ has some brilliant stories. 

2.) I was really, really close to negging you for the first sentence in your post. If that motherfuckers resume came across your desk and you failed to do anything other than bring him in for an interview, film it, and troll that motherfucker for like 90-120 minutes with just absurd questions then you sir would have let this board down irredeemably. Get your fucking mind right.

I worked in recruiting for a bit out of college and it was fucking awful, you are right about high turnover and really it’s a dying industry. Why pay 20% of someone’s base salary just to put a resume like Hamms in front of you. And yes, If I knew it was Mr. Six Figs himself you know I would bring him in for an interview and record it. 

“Hey Taylor, let’s do the interview in the bathroom instead of my office. I figure you would be more comfortable talking to people in there.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, RGBIII said:

I worked in recruiting for a bit out of college and it was fucking awful, you are right about high turnover and really it’s a dying industry. Why pay 20% of someone’s base salary just to put a resume like Hamms in front of you. And yes, If I knew it was Mr. Six Figs himself you know I would bring him in for an interview and record it

“Hey Taylor, let’s do the interview in the bathroom instead of my office. I figure you would be more comfortable talking to people in there.”

No no no sir, you don't get to back out of this folly that easily. Of course you would have known it was him, YOU'D HAVE SEEN HIS WORK EXPERIENCE ON HIS RESUME. And you said you'd trash it. 

You're going to have to come up with some way more convoluted, detailed, and sadistic details to redeem yourself here, sir. For example:

"Hamm you say. Funny, I just had a realtor sell my house in Kingwood, her last name was Hamm. Smoking fucking hot. We're actually going out on Friday, and she fucking blew me after closing! She always whined about her tiny dick ex husband who loved sniffing HS football player's nuts. Is she your sister?"

Also, fun fact, in researching this post, it looks like ole Taylor has got himself a new squeeze. She looks to be like 23 years old and seems like a but if a downgrade. Emphasis on Down(s). 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Quick stab at 2022 class positional allocation, assuming we use up all of our spots in 2021. Saving a spot or two from 2021 for future game-changing transfers might be a good idea.

QB- 1
RB- 2
WR- 4
TE- 1
OL- 4
DB- 5
ILB- 2
DL+OLB- 5
Grad transfer- 1

4 minutes ago, Fud said:

Quick stab at 2022 class positional allocation, assuming we use up all of our spots in 2021. Saving a spot or two from 2021 for future game-changing transfers might be a good idea.

QB- 1
RB- 2
WR- 4
TE- 1
OL- 4
DB- 5
ILB- 2
DL+OLB- 5
Grad transfer- 1

I have my doubts about them taking a TE with so many young ones on the roster. Think we only get one if it's one of the best TEs on their board. I'm guessing they'll allocate it to a 5th OL. Other numbers look about right. 2nd back will probably be an APB.

Edited by Bevo14

3 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

I have my doubts about them taking a TE with so many young ones on the roster. Think we only get one if it's one of the best TEs on their board. I'm guessing they'll allocate it to a 5th OL. Other numbers look about right.

Similar to RB and QB, I think you aim take at least one every year. It's a position that can take awhile to develop unless the prospect is elite, so you might as well get the developmental timeline started. If Texas can't land an elite guy, then I'd hope that they take a high upside two-way guy who can be ready within three years or so

7 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

No no no sir, you don't get to back out of this folly that easily. Of course you would have known it was him, YOU'D HAVE SEEN HIS WORK EXPERIENCE ON HIS RESUME. And you said you'd trash it. 

You're going to have to come up with some way more convoluted, detailed, and sadistic details to redeem yourself here, sir. For example:

"Hamm you say. Funny, I just had a realtor sell my house in Kingwood, her last name was Hamm. Smoking fucking hot. We're actually going out on Friday, and she fucking blew me after closing! She always whined about her tiny dick ex husband who loved sniffing HS football player's nuts. Is she your sister?"

Also, fun fact, in researching this post, it looks like ole Taylor has got himself a new squeeze. She looks to be like 23 years old and seems like a but if a downgrade. Emphasis on Down(s). 

“Know any good water parks around here?”

”know how to get mold off the side of a pool?”

Just sent him a LinkedIn connection and when he accepts I’ll shoot over my job posting for a sales rep...I’m going to make this happen

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Fud said:

QB- 1
RB- 2
WR- 4
TE- 1
OL- 4
DB- 5
ILB- 2
DL+OLB- 5
Grad transfer- 1

Good list. I have a few thoughts:

1) If they really start digging in and finding major traction for a great class in 2022, I assume they'll oversign and pay it forward into 2023. Of course, if ATM has locked up many of the standouts in Houston and Ewers sticks with OSU, the premise of 2022 being an amazing class might be dead wrong.

2) I don't see how Flood doesn't get to sign 5 of his guys in his first full cycle. 

4 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I think we only take 2-3 WR's and load up on OL, DL, and LB.

True, 3 might be the magic number with a 4th take being an athlete with position flexibility. I don't think it will be 2 because we're drawing interest from too many high profile prospects. Sark is lamenting the amount of WRs we have on the roster though.

Edited by Bevo14

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Good list. I have a few thoughts:

1) If they really start digging in and finding major traction for a great class in 2022, I assume they'll oversign and pay it forward into 2023. Of course, if ATM has locked up many of the standouts in Houston and Ewers sticks with OSU, the premise of 2022 being an amazing class might be dead wrong.

2) I don't see how Flood doesn't get to sign 5 of his guys in his first full cycle. 

Also, with the defection of JQJ and Milroe I think it would be a good idea to take 2 QBs this cycle. I could see them only taking 3 WRs this year due to numbers and going 5 OL, 2 QB

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

This. Especially so if they don't sign Uke or someone else before NSD2. It's inexcusable in any year to only take two offensive linemen, but especially this year when the talent pool was so deep. Just a complete and abject failure this year by Hand/Herman. Let Flood go get as many as he can.

I'd guess

QB - 1 or 2, depends on a lot of things. 

RB - 1

WR: 2 more to add with Winfield

TE: 0 or 1

OL: 5-6

DL/OLB: 5-6

ILB: 3

DB: 3-4 more to add with Guilbeau

2-3 Grad Transfers

Just judging by what Sarkisian said about the TE room as well as WR. It all depends on what happens over the course of spring/summer with transfers and etc.

Edited by BurntOrange&White

If Texas lands LJ, then the RB spot can probably drop to one, even though we're looking good for several guys and it would be painful to turn some away (Blue + Miller would be a nice class)

Texas can probably pass on TE, but it's such an important position in this offense that I'd like to take a high upside athlete there

Might be able to rob some spots from the DL+OLB considering how many Texas is potentially taking in the 2021 class. If they take Lawrence of Abiara, they're looking at six DL/OLB with two more who could potential play there Sanders and Davis. Perhaps this is where you can poach a spot from for the OL? 

Many want a second QB, but I think that depends on whether or not you think Wright will hang around for the long term; if Ewers signs with Texas and wins the job, and the QB room clears out, then a QB2 in that class would have been a great move. If Wright still hangs around in that scenario, then it's probably unnecessary 

1 minute ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

This. Especially so if they don't sign Uke or someone else before NSD2. It's inexcusable in any year to only take two offensive linemen, but especially this year when the talent pool was so deep. Just a complete and abject failure this year by Hand/Herman. Let Flood go get as many as he can.

I am of the opinion you should be taking 4-6 OL and DL types a year.

If we sign Ewers, signing a 2nd QB as well as chasing Arch Manning next year will be difficult. I'm fine playing lean there for a bit if the talents are transcendent. 

I'd absolutely be closing up shop on jags this year, like Abiarra or whatever the fuck his name is...roll all of that into 2022. The only place where it's difficult for me to have that attitude is the OL. It's so bad, and this recruiting class is basically nonexistent microwaved to room temperature dogshit...have to throw bodies at it. Even if mediocre ones. 

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I think we only take 2-3 WR's and load up on OL, DL, and LB.

Sark has said that there are too many WRs on the roster, but in a counterintuitive way, I think taking four studs is necessary to get the room to the necessary level of talent since a lot of those guys are bread. Land Winfield, Stewart, Thompson, and a 5* type from somewhere, and the WR room is finally on track to look similar to the Bama, Ohio State, LSU, Clemson, and OU types. Also Moore, Whittington, and Smith are eligible to leave for the draft after next year, and then we're potentially looking at Omeire, maybe Dixon, and a lot of question marks. 

Edited by Fud
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Fud said:

If Texas lands LJ, then the RB spot can probably drop to one, even though we're looking good for several guys and it would be painful to turn some away (Blue + Miller would be a nice class)

Texas can probably pass on TE, but it's such an important position in this offense that I'd like to take a high upside athlete there

Might be able to rob some spots from the DL+OLB considering how many Texas is potentially taking in the 2021 class. If they take Lawrence of Abiara, they're looking at six DL/OLB with two more who could potential play there Sanders and Davis. Perhaps this is where you can poach a spot from for the OL? 

Many want a second QB, but I think that depends on whether or not you think Wright will hang around for the long term; if Ewers signs with Texas and wins the job, and the QB room clears out, then a QB2 in that class would have been a great move. If Wright still hangs around in that scenario, then it's probably unnecessary 

Sanders is likely a 3 year player, Helm and Davis should get a RS. That's 2 TE's you could technically count in the 2022 class.

I think you will primarily see Wiley, Sanders, and Liebrock in the rotation next year. Brewer is more of a FB/HB in short yardage situations.

Outside of Wiley completing blowing up, you return the 3 rotational players and add Davis and Helm to group. That's the 5 that Sarkisian likes for the room.

I agree that if you can find another Sanders like talent at the position you take him, but you definitely punt to the 2023 class if they are in the Helm/Davis developmental spectrum.

17 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

There will be spring defections from the WR room when they see how limited the 2nd and 3rd team rotations get play. 4 is the right number there. 

Not really, especially if you want to be around 10 or so scholarship receivers like mentioned.

Right now:

2021 Commits: Keithron Lee, Casey Cain, Jaden Alexis

3 Total Incoming

On Roster: Brendon Schooler, Troy Omeire, Kelvontay Dixon, Josh Moore, Kennedy Lewis, Marcus Washington, Al'vonte Woodard, Jordan Whittington, Jake Smith, Dajon Harrison.

10 Total Current Roster

So that is 13 total WR's on the roster for 2021. If 2-3 transfer you're looking at the ideal number for sark and add the 2 or 3 for 2022 class will set you up to replace others who may transfer but still keep you around the mark. I'd rather over recruit the offensive and defensive fronts than WR's. Worst case scenario is you get down to 8-9 guys in the WR room but is that actually that bad for an  offense like we're going to be running. Bama had similar number. I think we'll hover around 10 scholarship WR's any given year.

Edited by BurntOrange&White

4 minutes ago, Fud said:

Sark has said that there are too many WRs on the roster, but in a counterintuitive way, I think taking four studs is necessary to get the room to the necessary level of talent since a lot of those guys are bread. Land Winfield, Lewis, Thompson, and a 5* type from somewhere, and the WR room is finally on track to look similar to the Bama, Ohio State, LSU, Clemson, and OU types. Also Moore, Whittington, and Smith are eligible to leave for the draft after next year, and then we're potentially looking at Omeire, maybe Dixon, and a lot of question marks. 

Who's that?

9 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

If we sign Ewers, signing a 2nd QB as well as chasing Arch Manning next year will be difficult. I'm fine playing lean there for a bit if the talents are transcendent. 

I'd absolutely be closing up shop on jags this year, like Abiarra or whatever the fuck his name is...roll all of that into 2022. The only place where it's difficult for me to have that attitude is the OL. It's so bad, and this recruiting class is basically nonexistent microwaved to room temperature dogshit...have to throw bodies at it. Even if mediocre ones. 

Really got to hope Flood can just point at the depth chart to Uke and at least put one finger in the dike there.

5 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I'd be fine with Brooks and grad transfer RB in 2021, and Blue and Miller in 2022. 

I'd also be with fine with Brooks and LJ/Wheaton in 2021 and Blue in 2022.

The perks having a franchise back in the program for two more years.  

A grad transfer in 2021 mostly serves as depth, so I'm hoping we land LJ instead, who as an early enrollee would serve as depth and a long term contributor. Taking another Watson this year would suck. 

1 hour ago, Mason Ramsey said:

giphy.gif 

28 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I'd guess

QB - 1 or 2, depends on a lot of things. 

RB - 1

WR: 2 more to add with Winfield

TE: 0 or 1

OL: 5-6

DL/OLB: 5-6

ILB: 3

DB: 3-4 more to add with Guilbeau

2-3 Grad Transfers

Just judging by what Sarkisian said about the TE room as well as WR. It all depends on what happens over the course of spring/summer with transfers and etc.

I think you’re overreacting to Sark’s comments. Reading between the lines, he was really saying he couldn’t believe Herman threw so many numbers at the position and it still sucks. He’s much more likely to sign 3-4 guys in a loaded WR class and push out the shitty upperclassmen in order to get to the numbers he wants there than sign a light WR class in 22. It’s very possible Sark could sign 3 or 4 guys at WR in the top 150 in the nation. I don’t think he’ll turn a prospect like that away. 

27 minutes ago, Fud said:

I can’t see us taking 2 QBs, unless you have a situation where 2 guys like Malik Murphy and Klubnik both want in. Otherwise, the whole point of Wright is that he provides depth for the next 4ish years. I know Bama signed Tua and Mac in the same class, but they also had basically only Hurts in the QB room at that time. 

11 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Really got to hope Flood can just point at the depth chart to Uke and at least put one finger in the dike there.

we need him bad. Time for Flood to get in good with Hawkins right away and go full court press on Uke. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

8 minutes ago, Fud said:

A grad transfer in 2021 mostly serves as depth, so I'm hoping we land LJ instead, who as an early enrollee would serve as depth and a long term contributor. Taking another Watson this year would suck. 

It depends on the back. I think Eric Gray, the Tennessee portaler, would be an upgrade from Roschon. 

I say this as a big Roschon fan. 

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Not really, especially if you want to be around 10 or so scholarship receivers like mentioned.

Right now:

2021 Commits: Keithron Lee, Casey Cain, Jaden Alexis

3 Total Incoming

On Roster: Brendon Schooler, Troy Omeire, Kelvontay Dixon, Josh Moore, Kennedy Lewis, Marcus Washington, Al'vonte Woodard, Jordan Whittington, Jake Smith, Dajon Harrison.

10 Total Current Roster

So that is 13 total WR's on the roster for 2021. If 2-3 transfer you're looking at the ideal number for sark and add the 2 or 3 for 2022 class will set you up to replace others who may transfer but still keep you around the mark.

I know you're really interested in dunking on me for referencing your sandy furburger, but this is just wrong. Sark has stated 10 is the ultimate goal, that is correct, but you're ignoring context.

The issue is that we are lacking elite receivers in the first rotation. Tell me, of Lee, Cain, and Alexis, which one is going to play first team in their career? Sure, they each have potential to, but if they don't reach their developmental ceiling, they'll all be recruited over in this system. Schooler is a special teams jag with one year left and doesn't really apply here. Smith can be elite, Omeire and probably Dixon can be very good to elite. 

Let's say Kennedy Lewis, Washington, and Woodard all hit the portal and Schooler graduates. If the offense recruits WRs the way we think it will, the 4th receiver in this class may very well be as good as our 4th WR on the depth chart. And that's not a stretch. 

As Fud said, numbers is not the issue, elite talent is the issue and if the 4th WR fits that description, you take him because there's not much elite in that room now. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting