Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Yeah, this seems like the right strategy. I also think they need to push many of the mediocrities into really uncomfortable spots, whether that is forcing Epps to bang around with a hand down or give DE a go, or making the rest of the dregs give it a go at need spots in the secondary or bust their ass for PT on special teams. 

That way you either get lucky or you get rid of detritus. 

Is trap dooring guys not an option?  How Saban/SEC are we going here?  Because these guys aren't going to be any better at a different position.

Texas currently has 12 scholarship WRs, but 15 once you include Schooler (Covid year doesn't count against 85), committed but not yet signed Lee and walk-on Kai Money.

Attrition candidates likely include Estell, Woodard, Washington, Lewis, and Harrison.

I see the majority of the PT going to Moore, Smith, Whittington, Omeire, Dixon, and Schooler.

I think Sarkisian said Bama had around 8 scholarship WRs, which he thought was too few, so I could see the number being around 10.

Edited by HtownHorn

4 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Texas currently has 12 scholarship WRs, but 15 once you include Schooler (Covid year doesn't count against 85), committed but not yet signed Lee and walk-on Kai Money.

Attrition candidates likely include Estell, Woodard, Washington, Lewis, and Harrison.

I see the majority of the PT going to Moore, Smith, Whittington, Omeire, Dixon, and Schooler.

I think Sarkisian said Bama had around 8 scholarship WRs, which he thought was too few, so I could see the number being around 10.

Washington Sr spoke highly of Sark on Twitter so hopefully Marcus will stick around. I'm surprised Woodard hasn't transferred though.

I really really hope Sark is able to get the most out of Smith. The 2019 class as a whole has been a letdown but I still think Smith has some juice in him.

48 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Check out the responses to this dumbfuck. Some of our fanbase might as well be aggy.

Lmao was about to post this too. What fucking world is this guy living in? How do you cover college football for years and actually believe something like that? 

23 minutes ago, Dijon Robinson said:

Washington Sr spoke highly of Sark on Twitter so hopefully Marcus will stick around. I'm surprised Woodard hasn't transferred though.

I really really hope Sark is able to get the most out of Smith. The 2019 class as a whole has been a letdown but I still think Smith has some juice in him.

It's like the old S&C coach wanted everyone to bulk up and lose all their speed and quickness. Hopefully he gets some of it back, and hands, also hands. 

4 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Move Estell to safety. I think that’s where he started. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Kai was actually given a scholarship this year, so no longer a walk-on.

3 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I think those kind of scholarships are 1 years 

Technically, every scholarship is year by year, obviously declining those on those offered from the onset isn't the best for optics though

https://247sports.com/player/shone-washington-46082383/

Texas/Bama both offered, obviously new staff and all but may be one to keep an eye on

41 minutes ago, Teryor said:

Technically, every scholarship is year by year, obviously declining those on those offered from the onset isn't the best for optics though

https://247sports.com/player/shone-washington-46082383/

Texas/Bama both offered, obviously new staff and all but may be one to keep an eye on

Did LSU tell him to look around? 

3 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Jesus. That's closer to a snuff film than a highlight reel. I just wonder how much more he's going to develop physically. But he definitely fits the big, mean profile and with pretty good feet for that size. 

One thing that stands out is at 320, he gets his block and then runs downfield. It's tough to get big boys to sprint once the play is by them. Shows effort and drive.

• Like 1

On 1/15/2021 at 6:36 AM, Fud said:

I'm pretty far behind on 22 kids, but supposedly both Marshall and Hudson should be in the conversation for best WR prospects in the state, depending on what you're looking for 

Also, Gerry seems to think the Mater Dei kid is very overrated

Got around to watching this kid. Sheesh. Do want.

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/15164292/5fb06f55d468b7099c4ddd86

Stampede

Spoiler

It's time for Steve Sarkisian and his staff to get started on the recruiting trail.

Sure, the new Texas head coach spent the week leading up to the national championship calling recruits and he spent last week fulfilling ceremonial duties and calling recruits. With his staff almost completely in place, Texas will need to get to work. With just two and a half weeks left until National Signing Day, Sarkisian and the Texas staff will have to put in overtime to finish off the 2021 class and make a move to get ahead in the 2022 class.

Over the weekend, we spent time gathering information about where Texas stands with primary 2021 targets in the class and where a few key players in the 2022 class stand. Can Texas get the momentum going finishing out 2021 and moving into 2022?

In this week's edition of The Stampede, Horns247's weekly gathering of recruiting intel, we provide a bevy of notes on how the Longhorns could finish the 2021 cycle and get things rolling in the 2022 class.

—Direction in the 2021 class is still a bit up in the air. As Steve Sarkisian tries to put his staff together, recruits are starting to hear from some of the assistants. With the announcement this weekend that Texas is hiring Director of Player Personnel Drew Hughes, it seems that we will have some more direction on the 2021 class going forward. It’s unclear how many spots Texas will choose to fill in the 2021, but there are already some things in the works.

LJ Johnson (Photo: Brian Perroni, 247Sports)
— As we reported over the weekend, Texas A&M seemed to be gaining momentum for four-star Cy-Fair running back LJ Johnson. Johnson was rumored to take a visit to Texas A&M over the weekend to take an academic tour as a student. Sources in Austin aren’t giving up. I’m told that Stan Drayton and Brandon Harris remain in contact with LJ and his parents and the feedback is still good at this time. A source told me that Johnson was expected to take the same visit to Texas later this week, but those we talk to around Johnson expect him to end up an Aggie. In fact, Nick Harris spoke to several sources over the weekend who were all leaning toward Texas A&M as the pick. We will see how it all works out as a decision is nearing at the end of the month.

— Since Alabama will have to replace most of its offensive staff, I checked in with Crimson Tide commit Camar Wheaton.  I’m told Texas is trying to re-engage there but approaching things cautiously at the moment.  As I mentioned in the past two weeks, there are some voices near Wheaton that are pro-Texas.  Not much has changed at this point.  Sources I speak with indicate that Wheaton isn’t that anxious to jump back into the recruiting scene, and if he did open it up, Oklahoma finished second for his services in December.  Regardless of where things stand, I’m told that the staff is very happy with the signature of Jonathon Brooks and feels they got the guy they wanted there. 

Keon Coleman
(Photo: @keoncoleman6)

— The receiver board is a bit in flux as well. Opelousas (LA.) Catholic wide receiver Keon Coleman is somewhat on the board, but his status going forward with Texas is still murky. The new staff will sit down to come up with a unified plan moving forward with recruiting. The Longhorns might choose to save the scholarship at this point looking toward a big 2022 cycle with a ton of talent in state. We’ll track this closely over the next few weeks to see if Coleman is a take. If he is, we expect Texas to be very competitive in that race.

—The new Texas staff has been in contact with Dallas (Texas) Parish Episcopal offensive lineman Austin Uke. The four-star prospect spoke to the staff over the weekend and was able to get to know them. This is one of the prospects Texas will likely push hardest for right now as Penn State, Stanford and a recent offer from Oklahoma will provide the biggest competition for the Longhorns. The Longhorns can pitch academics against Penn State and Oklahoma with proximity to home and opportunity over Stanford. Kyle Flood will have a short amount of time to do a big job in this one, but Texas isn’t out of it by any means.

CB Ishmael Ibraheem (Photo: Mike Roach, 247Sports)

— Texas commit Ishmael Ibraheem was set to have a court date late last week to resolve a legal issue from December. The date was moved to later in the month by the judge prior to anyone showing up. From what we know, Ibraheem should be able to sign in February if he can get everything resolved and put behind him. We’ll continue to keep you guys in the loop on where things stand with Ibraheem leading up to signing day.

— I’d expect Texas to continue to monitor the situation with David Abiara to see if they feel he’s a fit as a defensive lineman moving forward. The Mansfield Legacy defensive lineman was a hot commodity in the spring and summer, but he didn’t have the best senior year. The Longhorns were in position to make a big run in this recruitment after he backed out of his commitment to Notre Dame and Oklahoma moved on. If Texas chooses to push in this race, they will likely be able to win out and get the intriguing defensive end.

— Texas A&M scored a big in-state win yesterday landing Katy’s Malick Sylla. The Aggies might not be totally out of momentum as Donovan Green and Bobby Taylor are rumored to be next. Elite linebacker prospect Harold Perkins is also said to be trending that way as of right now. Texas should get a first-year bump for Sarkisian, but the regional battles have never been tougher than with an Oklahoma program recruiting at a high level and Texas A&M coming off of a Top 5 finish.

Cade Klubnik (Photo: Mike Roach, 247Sports)

— The Texas staff has also been trying to get a head start with some of the prospects in the 2022 class. I was told that Sarkisian spoke with Austin Westlake quarterback Cade Klubnik before the weekend. Klubnik went on to a star performance in the 6A-DI state title game on Saturday night outdueling five-star quarterback Quinn Ewers as the Chaps secured another state championship. Klubnik has been high on Texas since the beginning, and the Austin native has been interested in Texas since the initial offer came. It still remains to be seen what direction Steve Sarkisian wants to take at quarterback in 2022, but the early indications say he likes Klubnik who is also drawing considerable attention from Clemson.

— Speaking of 2022 quarterbacks, I think anyone who is overly bullish on the chances to flip Quinn Ewers right now is getting ahead of themselves. I checked with sources near the nation’s top player, and as of now there is almost no noise surrounding him. From what we’re told, he’s still firmly committed to Ohio State. That doesn’t mean that Texas won’t take its best shot and Ewers won’t listen, but it will take a lot to get it done. In fact, I’m actually hearing more growing buzz around Gardena (Calif.) Junipero Serra five-star quarterback Maalik Murphy. While it’s not overwhelming buzz, I’m told that Murphy has growing interest and new Texas commit Armani Winfield has been talking with him since joining the class last week.

(Photo: Andrew Hattersley, 247Sports)
COMMENTS
— Texas sent out an offer to 2022 Rockwall-Heath running back Zach Evans on Friday. No, not that Zach Evans. Evans was sidelined with an injury that cost him the season early in the playoffs and prevented him from being part of Heath’s long run. The Texas offer was really big for him, and while the pecking order at running back is still being figured out in 2022 with Jaydon Blue as the clear guy at the top of the board and a number of options behind him. I know that the Texas staff wants to find the right piece to pair with Blue if they do land him and to make sure they are maximizing the talent in the backfield. Evans is an all-around back who can also line up in the slot and be a threat as a receiver as well. Speaking of Rockwall-Heath wide receivers, 2022 wide receiver Jay Fair has been exploding in recruiting the last few weeks. Texas has been in touch and an offer could be on the way soon.

— Five-star Arlington (Texas) Bowie offensive lineman Devon Campbell just released his junior film. I caught up with him quickly over the weekend, and he told me he’s been able to speak with Kyle Flood in the last few days. He said everything with Texas is still good and the Longhorns will remain in a strong standing. He’s one of the prospects Texas must land in this 2022 class.

• Hook 'Em 6

55 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Stampede

Hide contents

It's time for Steve Sarkisian and his staff to get started on the recruiting trail.

Sure, the new Texas head coach spent the week leading up to the national championship calling recruits and he spent last week fulfilling ceremonial duties and calling recruits. With his staff almost completely in place, Texas will need to get to work. With just two and a half weeks left until National Signing Day, Sarkisian and the Texas staff will have to put in overtime to finish off the 2021 class and make a move to get ahead in the 2022 class.

Over the weekend, we spent time gathering information about where Texas stands with primary 2021 targets in the class and where a few key players in the 2022 class stand. Can Texas get the momentum going finishing out 2021 and moving into 2022?

In this week's edition of The Stampede, Horns247's weekly gathering of recruiting intel, we provide a bevy of notes on how the Longhorns could finish the 2021 cycle and get things rolling in the 2022 class.

—Direction in the 2021 class is still a bit up in the air. As Steve Sarkisian tries to put his staff together, recruits are starting to hear from some of the assistants. With the announcement this weekend that Texas is hiring Director of Player Personnel Drew Hughes, it seems that we will have some more direction on the 2021 class going forward. It’s unclear how many spots Texas will choose to fill in the 2021, but there are already some things in the works.

LJ Johnson (Photo: Brian Perroni, 247Sports)
— As we reported over the weekend, Texas A&M seemed to be gaining momentum for four-star Cy-Fair running back LJ Johnson. Johnson was rumored to take a visit to Texas A&M over the weekend to take an academic tour as a student. Sources in Austin aren’t giving up. I’m told that Stan Drayton and Brandon Harris remain in contact with LJ and his parents and the feedback is still good at this time. A source told me that Johnson was expected to take the same visit to Texas later this week, but those we talk to around Johnson expect him to end up an Aggie. In fact, Nick Harris spoke to several sources over the weekend who were all leaning toward Texas A&M as the pick. We will see how it all works out as a decision is nearing at the end of the month.

— Since Alabama will have to replace most of its offensive staff, I checked in with Crimson Tide commit Camar Wheaton.  I’m told Texas is trying to re-engage there but approaching things cautiously at the moment.  As I mentioned in the past two weeks, there are some voices near Wheaton that are pro-Texas.  Not much has changed at this point.  Sources I speak with indicate that Wheaton isn’t that anxious to jump back into the recruiting scene, and if he did open it up, Oklahoma finished second for his services in December.  Regardless of where things stand, I’m told that the staff is very happy with the signature of Jonathon Brooks and feels they got the guy they wanted there. 

Keon Coleman
(Photo: @keoncoleman6)

— The receiver board is a bit in flux as well. Opelousas (LA.) Catholic wide receiver Keon Coleman is somewhat on the board, but his status going forward with Texas is still murky. The new staff will sit down to come up with a unified plan moving forward with recruiting. The Longhorns might choose to save the scholarship at this point looking toward a big 2022 cycle with a ton of talent in state. We’ll track this closely over the next few weeks to see if Coleman is a take. If he is, we expect Texas to be very competitive in that race.

—The new Texas staff has been in contact with Dallas (Texas) Parish Episcopal offensive lineman Austin Uke. The four-star prospect spoke to the staff over the weekend and was able to get to know them. This is one of the prospects Texas will likely push hardest for right now as Penn State, Stanford and a recent offer from Oklahoma will provide the biggest competition for the Longhorns. The Longhorns can pitch academics against Penn State and Oklahoma with proximity to home and opportunity over Stanford. Kyle Flood will have a short amount of time to do a big job in this one, but Texas isn’t out of it by any means.

CB Ishmael Ibraheem (Photo: Mike Roach, 247Sports)

— Texas commit Ishmael Ibraheem was set to have a court date late last week to resolve a legal issue from December. The date was moved to later in the month by the judge prior to anyone showing up. From what we know, Ibraheem should be able to sign in February if he can get everything resolved and put behind him. We’ll continue to keep you guys in the loop on where things stand with Ibraheem leading up to signing day.

— I’d expect Texas to continue to monitor the situation with David Abiara to see if they feel he’s a fit as a defensive lineman moving forward. The Mansfield Legacy defensive lineman was a hot commodity in the spring and summer, but he didn’t have the best senior year. The Longhorns were in position to make a big run in this recruitment after he backed out of his commitment to Notre Dame and Oklahoma moved on. If Texas chooses to push in this race, they will likely be able to win out and get the intriguing defensive end.

— Texas A&M scored a big in-state win yesterday landing Katy’s Malick Sylla. The Aggies might not be totally out of momentum as Donovan Green and Bobby Taylor are rumored to be next. Elite linebacker prospect Harold Perkins is also said to be trending that way as of right now. Texas should get a first-year bump for Sarkisian, but the regional battles have never been tougher than with an Oklahoma program recruiting at a high level and Texas A&M coming off of a Top 5 finish.

Cade Klubnik (Photo: Mike Roach, 247Sports)

— The Texas staff has also been trying to get a head start with some of the prospects in the 2022 class. I was told that Sarkisian spoke with Austin Westlake quarterback Cade Klubnik before the weekend. Klubnik went on to a star performance in the 6A-DI state title game on Saturday night outdueling five-star quarterback Quinn Ewers as the Chaps secured another state championship. Klubnik has been high on Texas since the beginning, and the Austin native has been interested in Texas since the initial offer came. It still remains to be seen what direction Steve Sarkisian wants to take at quarterback in 2022, but the early indications say he likes Klubnik who is also drawing considerable attention from Clemson.

— Speaking of 2022 quarterbacks, I think anyone who is overly bullish on the chances to flip Quinn Ewers right now is getting ahead of themselves. I checked with sources near the nation’s top player, and as of now there is almost no noise surrounding him. From what we’re told, he’s still firmly committed to Ohio State. That doesn’t mean that Texas won’t take its best shot and Ewers won’t listen, but it will take a lot to get it done. In fact, I’m actually hearing more growing buzz around Gardena (Calif.) Junipero Serra five-star quarterback Maalik Murphy. While it’s not overwhelming buzz, I’m told that Murphy has growing interest and new Texas commit Armani Winfield has been talking with him since joining the class last week.

(Photo: Andrew Hattersley, 247Sports)
COMMENTS
— Texas sent out an offer to 2022 Rockwall-Heath running back Zach Evans on Friday. No, not that Zach Evans. Evans was sidelined with an injury that cost him the season early in the playoffs and prevented him from being part of Heath’s long run. The Texas offer was really big for him, and while the pecking order at running back is still being figured out in 2022 with Jaydon Blue as the clear guy at the top of the board and a number of options behind him. I know that the Texas staff wants to find the right piece to pair with Blue if they do land him and to make sure they are maximizing the talent in the backfield. Evans is an all-around back who can also line up in the slot and be a threat as a receiver as well. Speaking of Rockwall-Heath wide receivers, 2022 wide receiver Jay Fair has been exploding in recruiting the last few weeks. Texas has been in touch and an offer could be on the way soon.

— Five-star Arlington (Texas) Bowie offensive lineman Devon Campbell just released his junior film. I caught up with him quickly over the weekend, and he told me he’s been able to speak with Kyle Flood in the last few days. He said everything with Texas is still good and the Longhorns will remain in a strong standing. He’s one of the prospects Texas must land in this 2022 class.

the favourite water GIF by Fox Searchlight

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5

29 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

If Sanders is going to start out at TE plus Helm and Juan D., do we even need a TE this class?

Speaking of Juan D, and the lack of 2020 camp circuits... How much do we really know about this guy?  The 2 year old highlights on his hudl make him look like an LJH comp, and a major project at TE

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

If Sanders is going to start out at TE plus Helm and Juan D., do we even need a TE this class?

I sweatergawd. No more of this stupid shit. Take a TE every damn year. 

plus with how thin we were at DE, it’s almost guaranteed one of those guys gets moved. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, squeegeedegg said:

Speaking of Juan D, and the lack of 2020 camp circuits... How much do we really know about this guy?  The 2 year old highlights on his hudl make him look like an LJH comp, and a major project at TE

Juan is a stud and can play anything.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting