Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

Malik Murphy, California 5 star seems to love Sark.  Where is he in the pecking order?  Ewers, Murphy, Klubnik and Weigman?  

In terms of national interest, yeah. Biggins comps Murphy to Winston, and actually that’s a pretty good comp with a built in ceiling and floor. He does appear to have more speed, though.

1 hour ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

In terms of national interest, yeah. Biggins comps Murphy to Winston, and actually that’s a pretty good comp with a built in ceiling and floor. He does appear to have more speed, though.

Yeah if Murphy really is an option, you give Quinn a month or two to digest the changes and then see if he wants to come onboard. 

If Ewers is a no, you move quickly to close on a top QB like Murphy before the summer. You want a leader like that in the class well before the new season starts.  

15 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

How about a WR haul of Winfield, Stewart, Thompson, and Kevin Coleman?  That'd be some insane speed coming into the WR room.

I'm pretty far behind on 22 kids, but supposedly both Marshall and Hudson should be in the conversation for best WR prospects in the state, depending on what you're looking for 

Also, Gerry seems to think the Mater Dei kid is very overrated

34 minutes ago, Fud said:

I'm pretty far behind on 22 kids, but supposedly both Marshall and Hudson should be in the conversation for best WR prospects in the state, depending on what you're looking for 

Also, Gerry seems to think the Mater Dei kid is very overrated

That's very classic Gerry. The Mater Dei kid is a really good route runner but doesn't have a bunch of tape with deep routes/Mossing people like Texas kids generally put on their tape. I'm all for getting good route runners. Lord knows our receiver room is dog shit at getting separation.

1 minute ago, Octavian said:

That's very classic Gerry. The Mater Dei kid is a really good route runner but doesn't have a bunch of tape with deep routes/Mossing people like Texas kids generally put on their tape. I'm all for getting good route runners. Lord knows our receiver room is dog shit at getting separation.

Yeah he thinks he's slow/doesn't separate 

We're already getting Casey Cain in the class before, so I'm fine passing on a target WR in this class 

30 minutes ago, Machinator said:

According to Burton, Sark is remaking the personnel department to be more like Bama.

What, exactly, does this mean?

Also, if we're looking to fill out the personnel department, we really ought to think about picking off some of the guys that Baylor has been making hay with the past few years.

8 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

What, exactly, does this mean?

Also, if we're looking to fill out the personnel department, we really ought to think about picking off some of the guys that Baylor has been making hay with the past few years.

I'll pass on rape happy evaluators, thank you very much.

7 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Wells is saying that Bob Shipley is retiring. I think Mike Roach wrote similar things earlier this week.

He said he could be retiring.

Sark told the lettermen in the zoom that he'd like to keep Shipley in his role, but heard that he might be retiring, and said that he'd be meeting with him soon 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Fud said:

He said he could be retiring.

Sark told the lettermen in the zoom that he'd like to keep Shipley in his role, but heard that he might be retiring, and said that he'd be meeting with him soon 

I'm sure we can find a similar older coach ready to take a victory lap to pair with Gideon's connection with the younger generation.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Sark is letting Derek Chang go.

Combined with hiring of Terry Joseph, an absolutely terrible evaluator, this is shittastic news. Joseph's hire was fucking terrible on several levels but I was heartened a little by the fact that Chang and his staff would be in place to help ensure that Joseph couldn't fill the DB room with spares. 

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

According to Burton, Sark is remaking the personnel department to be more like Bama.

Every single coach from the Saban tree has said this exact thing. The only one that has done well (Kirby) has done it - not by replicating the entire Bama model - but instead by dropping bags in egregious fashion. Also important, you can remake the personnel department to be more like Bama while also retaining guys that are very good at their jobs and folding them into the department. Maybe Sark will be the first to accomplish the replication but I'm not going to hold my breath. 

40 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Rhule has an athletic profile for each spot and he tries to stick within the boundary of that profile and then develop them with teachers on staff. It's built on the backbone of the way that Bowden and Jimmy Johnson often ignored rankings and known players for guys that fit a specific athletic profile. It's how you avoid signing Brian Williams or RJ Henderson, etc ... There's no special sauce other than identifying athletes, the Rhule special sauce is in developing them. Chang and his team have done a good job finding those type of athletic traits - their development has been a mixed bag. 

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, golfclap said:

Combined with hiring of Terry Joseph, an absolutely terrible evaluator, this is shittastic news. Joseph's hire was fucking terrible on several levels but I was heartened a little by the fact that Chang and his staff would be in place to help ensure that Joseph couldn't fill the DB room with spares.

Was he the A&M coach who decided to prioritize Larry Pryor and Justin Dunning over DeShon Elliott? Because holy cow did that turn out poorly for A&M (and well for us).

39 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

If true, looks like we are going go the Alabama route of carpet bombing offers out that aren't real offers.

Given the butt hurt exhibited by late bloomers who get offered late, I can't say I blame them for adopting this strategy. It's better to have the chance to say "no thanks" than to never be in the game.

On the Zoom call yesterday, Sarkisian mentioned that the Texas roster is a bit heavy on WRs and has major gaps at DE. Sounds like there will be some correction put on both of those. 

We have 15 WRs as of now for the 2021 season? I guess I haven’t looked. That seems like a lot. Is that including clowns like Epps and Kai Money?

• Like 2

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting