Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

Mike Roach: Can Andre Coleman make good on second chance in 2022 recruiting?

— As Horns247 reported over the weekend and again this morning in The Stampede, we were hearing more buzz that Andre Coleman would be retained on the Texas staff. That seems all but official following Brian Davis’s report in the Austin American-Statesman today. News started to leak out over the weekend and multiple prospects I spoke with at Pylon 7v7 mentioned they were told Coleman would remain as the wide receivers coach.

— While Casey Cain, Keithron Lee and Jaden Alexis are three interesting prospects with the tools to develop long-term contributors, the Longhorns simply must do better in 2022. That task might be easier under Steve Sarkisian. As I reported last week, Tom Herman took total control over wide receiver recruiting during his time in Austin and was overbearing on who Texas pursued. We heard this was the case with Drew Mehringer and Corby Meekins and it also seems it was the case with Coleman. A source I spoke with said that Coleman had a difficult time getting receivers approved for offers and the delay from Texas caused the Longhorns to lose out on some targets. It was so bad that I was told Coleman felt defeated before even bringing a guy to the table late in the year. I was told by someone who spoke with Coleman that there is a renewed sense of energy there as he regroups and tries to get Texas on track for 2022.

— Before the buzz picked up on Coleman I spent time talking to receivers about their relationship with him. From what I got, things were generally positive and kids like him. Four-star receivers Tyler Morris, CJ Williams, Kevin Coleman and Armani Winfield all told me they liked Coleman and wouldn’t mind if he stayed around. Outside of COVID-19 and with less of the reported meddling, we expect better results.

— I’ve also heard that Coleman was well-liked by the receivers on staff which will provide important continuity on offense. I also think recruiting might be easier due to the scheme. While Herman preferred recruiting giants and limited the passing game to an extent, we expect those to look more favorably on Sarkisian’s offense. If there is success it will likely recruit itself a bit.

— We will see if there is a philosophical change in evaluations over the next month or two. I expect to see Texas get aggressive with targets and I’ll be looking deeper into the common traits between those prospects to get an idea of what they might be looking for. The handcuffs will be off for Coleman, so he should have no excuses moving forward.

Justin Wells: Recruits sound off on Sark's offensive mastery from Monday night

Last night was an opportunity for the college football world to see what new Texas coach Steve Sarkisian can do on offense. Leading an offensive surge that produced 52 points, 621 total yards, and held the ball for 37 minutes, Alabama's scoring machine was full throttle in Sark's final game calling plays for the Crimson Tide. Now, he's a Longhorn who will be introduced in a press conference today at 4 p.m. While he's getting settled into his new office, I caught up with a handful of prospects and priorities for their thoughts on last night's offensive explosion.

QB Cade Klubnik, Austin Westlake (2022): One of the state's top signal-callers was watching the Alabama-Ohio State national championship closely last night. He approves. "Man, I really liked it," said Klubnik after watching Sarkisian's mastery of the Alabama offense. "Pre-snap motions, finding mismatches, I loved it. He gets things moving for the offense." The four-star with double-digit offers might already be a priority for Sarkisian. They spoke recently.

"He called me on Sunday night," Klubnik said. They had a brief conversation and Sarkisian is eager to see Klubnik when the NCAA allows it. Quarterbacks will be more than eager to join this offensive system, and like a few recent UT passers, Klubnik lives down the street.

OL Neto Umeozulu, Allen (2022): One of the state's top O-lineman is almost certain to be a priority for Sarkisian. At 6-foot-4, 300 pounds, Umeozulu holds 22 offers including Alabama, Florida State, OU, Texas A&M, and Colorado. The 2020 District 5-6A Offensive Linemen of the Year likes what he sees. "I thought it was very impressive," said Neto. He loved the way the offensive line moved and Sark's ability to find the mismatches.

"I don't have any top schools yet because I still haven't gotten to visit anywhere," Neto said. He's got a good relationship with Alabama OL coach Kyle Flood, who is expected to join Sarkisian in Austin. That in and of itself is a positive in this pursuit.

WR Armani Winfield, Lewisville (2022): The four-star field-stretcher has been hot and cold on the Horns over the last year. He caught Ewers Fever during the summer but quickly cooled after Ewers' flip to Ohio State. Now, UT has his attention again. "(Sarkisian's) offense was immaculate," said Winfield. "Some of it I've never seen before. He's definitely a mastermind on offense." With the amount of highly skilled pass-catchers in Texas for 2022, it'll be interesting to see who Sarkisian prioritizes at wideout.

QB Conner Weigman, Bridgeland (2022): Growing up, it was a dream of Weigman's to play at Texas, whether it is football or baseball. In fact, it could be both. At 6-foot-1, 205 pounds, the four-star .96 composite has seen his stock rise over the 2020 season. He notched 19 offers including OU, Auburn, Florida, and Texas after leading Bridgeland to the state quarterfinals this season. "That Steve Sarkisian is a wizard," Weigman said. "His play-calling and his ability to get mismatches in the secondary is incredible."

Weigman is currently preparing for his junior season in baseball, but is eager to visit campus when the NCAA relaxes its dead period rules. If Sarkisian strikes out on big names like Quinn Ewers and Maalik Murphy, Weigman becomes even more important for this cycle.

WR Noah Thomas, Clear Springs (2022): The 6-foot-5, 187-pound multi-sport athlete has risen recently in the recruiting ranks. With five early offers - Tennessee, Arkansas, California, Colorado, and Houston - he might not be a priority, but he's taking notice. "The plays that they had for DeVonta Smith were amazing," said Thomas. "The motion in the backfield was key. Just finding mismatches."

RB Rueben Owens, El Campo (2023): At almost 6-foot, 190 pounds, the budding star with 2,319 yards and 30 touchdowns in his first two seasons really enjoyed the Alabama offensive display last night. With 22 offers already including LSU, OU, Georgia, Texas A&M, and Penn State, the Black Unicorn is already a known commodity in the recruiting world. "Coach Sark did a great job getting his players in the right position to make plays," said Owens. "I'm excited to see what Texas is going to look like this next season with the players they already have and the ones coming in under Coach Sark."

• Hook 'Em 1

Mike Roach: Ten prospects Texas should offer in 2022 class

WR Tobias Merriweather, Camas (Wa.) Union

Merriweather caught my eye last February at Pylon 7v7 in Las Vegas. The long-framed pass catcher from the pacific northwest showed strong route running ability and great quickness for a player of his size. Merriweather opens up and runs well and he shows phenomenal ball skills and ball-winning ability. I’ve been told that Merriweather would be open to leaving the west coast and Texas is a school he’s interested in.

DL Maxie Baudoin, Lafayette (LA.) Ascension Episcopal

The Louisiana big man is on the way to an exploding recruitment after picking up several big offers and it’s easy to see why with some dominant film and a 6-foot-6, 290 pound frame. While level of competition is certainly a question he will have to face, Baudoin has the size and athleticism to answer those questions. In the past few days, Baudoin picked up offers from Arkansas, Texas A&M, Ole Miss, Penn State, Mississippi State and several others.

WR Jay Fair, Rockwall-Heath

Fair lit 6A football up this year and was a huge reason Rockwall-Heath made a deep run to the regional final. Fair’s production was in large part thanks to his great deep speed natural pass-catching ability. Fair’s recruitment has been on the rise as well lately picking up offers from Georgia, South Carolina, Colorado and Arkansas over the past few weeks. Fair is the cousin of former five-star recruit Greg Little and would be very interested in Texas if the Longhorns were to offer.

WR Kaleb Brown, Chicago (IL.) St. Rita

Brown is the perfect fit for a slot receiver in today’s college football game. With a build more like a running back, Brown’s frame is similar to Golden Tate. He’s a dynamic threat from the interior where he can attack space and create mismatches with defenders signled up on him or in zone coverage. Brown can go deep or take a quick screen the distance with his incredible short-area explosion and burst.

CB Julian Humphrey, League City (Texas) Clear Lake

Humphrey is a four-star prospect with nearly 25 offers, but Texas hasn’t shown much interest. That should change moving forward. Humphrey is a big, physical corner with great long speed and excellent burst. Humphrey can play several different positions and provide a strong matchup for the different type of players teams have to defend in the Big 12.

OL Demetrius Hunter, West Orange (Texas) Stark

One of my favorite interior prospects in the state of Texas goes by the nickname “Pancake.” Turn on the film and it’s easy to see why. The Golden Triangle mauler is likely destined to play center at the next level, and Texas needs a true center prospect to add to the pipeline.

ATH Jeremy Patton, Tenaha (Texas)

Patton can do a little bit of everything whether it be on offense or defense. His future is probably at linebacker where he can use his size and athletic ability to roam the field on defense. Regardless, Patton is the type of versatile athlete who could make an impact at linebacker.

WR De'Nylon Morrissette, Snellville (GA.) Brookwood

Morrissette is thought to be leaning to Alabama already, so Sarkisian might be able to take a shot at him. Morrissette has a strong build with long arms. And a natural fluid feel for playing the wide receiver position. Morrissette can play inside or outside and add an explosive dynamic to any offense.

OL Andrew Chamblee, Maumelle (Ark.)

Chamblee is one of the closest regional prospects at a position need who doesn’t currently hold an offer. The massive tackle from the Natural State is a high-floor prospect with a great frame. Chamblee shows good quickness off the ball and is mobile enough to get to the second level.

LB Kip Lewis, Carthage (Texas)

Lewis established himself as a big time player this season and put an exclamation point on that season with a great performance during the 4A-DII state title game. Lewis is a tackling machine with the prototypical frame and skillset. With a need at linebacker and a lack of depth in state at the position, Lewis will be a big target eventually.

• Hook 'Em 1

has to be one of the most interesting names in this class! Is his dad named Nylon? (De'Marvin Leal's dad is Marvin). Maybe his dad goes by Cotton? And with a last name Morissette (or a version of the spelling), wouldn't it be ironic for Cotton to name his son Nylon? (Alanis might agree).

Do wide receivers like wearing cotton socks or nylon? does De'Nylon knock people's socks off by his speed and route running skillz?

So many questions, so little time! Am I running way off tangent on this name thing? Maybe I should stop while I'm behind.

Edited by PHLaggie

20 minutes ago, PHLaggie said:

has to be one of the most interesting names in this class! Is his dad named Nylon? (De'Marvin Leal's dad is Marvin). Maybe his dad goes by Cotton? And with a last name Morissette (or a version of the spelling), wouldn't it be ironic for Cotton to name his son Nylon? (Alanis might agree).

Do wide receivers like wearing cotton socks or nylon? does De'Nylon knock people's socks off by his speed and route running skillz?

So many questions, so little time! Am I running way off tangent on this name thing? Maybe I should stop while I'm behind.

season 6 gullible pants GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, PHLaggie said:

1399819569_giphy(94).gif.2cf0e5dd3bf1d62e4c5b329f18b5d5cc.gif

• Haha 1

Is his brother named Rayon? Does he run silky-smooth routes?

just having some innocent fun; not racist, but perhaps childish. :D

(the previous year's recruiting class had one name that stuck out in my mind: Ga'Quincy McKistry; he is a top rated DB. Would have been perfect had he signed with, you know, UGa. But he chose Bama. Didn't change his name though ;) )

Edited by PHLaggie

From IT today...him and Ewers are close

WR Armani Winfield, Lewisville (2022): The four-star field-stretcher has been hot and cold on the Horns over the last year. He caught Ewers Fever during the summer but quickly cooled after Ewers' flip to Ohio State. Now, UT has his attention again.

"(Sarkisian's) offense was immaculate," said Winfield. "Some of it I've never seen before. He's definitely a mastermind on offense."

With the amount of highly skilled pass-catchers in Texas for 2022, it'll be interesting to see who Sarkisian prioritizes at wideout.

• Hook 'Em 1

Even if Ewers doesn't come back to us, the idea that he's going to bring all of the top offensive Texas talent to Ohio State is dead. Burton was always an OSU lean, even when Ewers was committed to us. No one else followed Ewers and the guy thought to be most attached to him in Armani is back with us.

I'd of course like Ewers back, but this offensive class is going to be really really good regardless.

• Hook 'Em 3

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting