Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

2 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

He is my #2 ranked QB this cycle.. He's going to be really tough to pull out the SEC but if we can play the game, perhaps we have a shot.  Kid is the real deal.

Not holding my breath. Clemson or SEC, don’t think a bag will matter. Think we are down to Ewers (5% chance), Weigmann (50%), Klubnik (35%), Murphy (10%) but that’s just guessing

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RGBIII said:

Texas in top 13..how the fuck does Hayes Fawcett swindle these Fucking kids for this shit

i wish there was someone out there doing some quality edits/feeding info lol but the odds are if you are decent and do it for a few months, you end up getting offers from a program...

5 minutes ago, satyanash said:

So is Bo Davis going to be the defensive 'rainmaker'? I assume he and Tosh Lupoi wouldn't co-exist since the latter was also D-line coach both at Texas and in the NFL.

I believe Tosh has also coached LBs before.  I hope he's on the staff.  You need as many rainmakers as possible.

7 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Tosh can coach LBs

12 minutes ago, victory88 said:

I believe Tosh has also coached LBs before.  I hope he's on the staff.  You need as many rainmakers as possible.

so I guess the million-dollar question is, is Lupoi's recruiting improvement worth showing Hutzler and his coaching improvement the door?

Justin Wells: Steve Sarkisian Can Recruit Too

It's well known Steve Sarkisian can coach, especially on offense. He helped in USC's dominance in the mid-2000s, guided the Atlanta Falcons to almost 26 points per game in 2018, then assisted on sending three offensive players as Heisman finalists in 2020 for Alabama. He knows how to score. On the other side, he has a keen eye for recruiting. Now, working at places like Alabama and Southern Cal, it isn't difficult to land top-notch talent. But you also have to develop it. Here's some of his top recruiting wins, including a pair from the Lone Star state.

• QB Bryce Young, Mater Dei (Santa Ana, CA): The five-star from Cali took an official visit to Alabama on 9/20/19, de-committed from USC two days later, and pledged to the Crimson Tide later than evening. Landing Young was big, as he was the nation's second rated signal-caller. He enrolled in January and looks to be the quarterback of the future for Nick Saban.
  • QB Jalen Milroe, Katy Tompkins: You might recognize this guy. The man who spearheaded UT's Class of 2021 two summers ago, #Milroe was flipped August 17th after UT had secured a commitment from Quinn Ewers earlier that month. While Milroe might now regret that decision, it was Sarkisian who maintained the relationship during his courtship and subsequent flip.
  • WR Juju Smith-Schuster, Poly Tech (Long Beach, CA): Sarkisian landed the five-star athlete on NSD in 2014. Smith-Schuster went on to a prolific career at USC, including a Rose Bowl win over Penn State, and currently plays with the Pittsburgh Steelers.
  • CB Adoree Jackson, Junipero Sera (Gardena, CA): Sarkisian snagged the nation's top rated cornerback on NSD 2014 and was an instant success. He garnered All-Pac 12 Newcomer of the Year honors and was a USA Today Freshman All American. He was drafted by the Tennessee Titans in 2017 and is currently a starter in their defensive backfield.
  • CB Desmond Trufant, Wilson (Tacoma, WA): The three-star NFL veteran committed to Sark two weeks before signing day in 2009. He's been a staple in Atlanta's secondary for years.
  • TE Kedrick James, Waco La Vega: The four-star from Waco committed to the Tide in late July, and enrolled in May of 2017. James held 20+ offers including Texas, but with help from Billy Napier, Sarkisian was able to land one of the top tight ends in the C/O 2017.
  • RB Bishop Sankey, Gonzaga Prep (Spokane, WA): The four-star (.90 composite) tailback was good grab for Sarkisian in the Class of 2013. Sankey went on to a brief NFL career with the Tennessee Titans.
  • LB Malcolm Smith, Woodland Hills (CA): The savvy NFL veteran with stops in Oakland and Seattle was one of Sarkisian's guys in the Class of 2007. He committed a week before national signing day, with offers from Washington, Oregon, Arizona State, and UCLA.
  • S Marshall Jones, Westlake Village (Oaks Christian, CA): Sarkisian has deep roots on the west coast and he utilized them to snag the four-star (.98 composite) safety in 2007, who was third rated at his position in the nation, per 247.

Of Note: Sarkisian was the lead recruiter in Southlake Carroll five-star Quinn Ewers pursuit at Alabama, and I'm told the main reason the Crimson Tide had a shot at the 2022 stud. I expect Sark and Ewers to exchange messages in the future, if they haven't already.

• Hook 'Em 2

45 minutes ago, satyanash said:

so I guess the million-dollar question is, is Lupoi's recruiting improvement worth showing Hutzler and his coaching improvement the door?

Lupoi is also a very good coach. If you have the opportunity you make that switch. I would be sad to see Hutzler go except if it means bringing Tosh on. 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Lupoi is also a very good coach. If you have the opportunity you make that switch. I would be sad to see Hutzler go except if it means bringing Tosh on. 

He's very good as a DL coach, for sure. At Bama he was OLB coach when they ran a 3-4, and I assume OLB coach in a 3-4 is closer to DE coach in a 4-man front than what Hutzler was coaching here.

Edited by satyanash

ECF (Elite College Football) is doing an interview w Sam Ehlinger right now on Instagram Live. Quinn Ewers was active in the comments interacting with Sam & Texas Fans. I think he still has love for the Horns, it’ll just take a great effort to convince him this is the best place for his future.

32 minutes ago, CastHorn said:

ECF (Elite College Football) is doing an interview w Sam Ehlinger right now on Instagram Live. Quinn Ewers was active in the comments interacting with Sam & Texas Fans. I think he still has love for the Horns, it’ll just take a great effort to convince him this is the best place for his future.

I have no doubt the kid loves the horns.  I hope Sark shows him a badass offense this season.  

• Hook 'Em 3

Nahlin

While waiting on this stupid phone to ring, let’s talk a little 2022 recruiting. 

If you get Raymond, you get Denver Harris. If you get Raymond he’ll likely return UT’s native sons to it — Bryan Allen and Bryce Anderson.

If it’s Ansley, which I don’t think is all that real, there are plenty of safeties to parse through. Either would likely land Terrance Brooks with some effort (underrated stud, must get, imo). He’s a corner but could play anything in the back end.

Outside of Urban Meyer, Sarkisian already gives UT the best chance to return Quinn Ewers to his birthright. Milwee is a football nerd and so is Quinn. Milwee would probably be a help, even though he’s not big into recruiting. But don’t sleep on Connor Weigman or Sarkisian looking nationally. It’s really easy to see Weigman sitting back dealing like Mac Jones.

Texas needs to absolutely load up in the WR class and this is the cycle to do it. I’m thinking Holmon Wiggins, if he’s the guy, will do well on reputation and Sarkisian’s offense alone. He’s not a dynamic recruiter but he has skins on the wall and is a good coach. UT would be wise to market testimonials from some satisfied first round draft picks. Need Evan Stewart for sure. 

Drayton is going to do his thing and land a stud. Probably Jaydon Blue. Take Jamarion Miller so we can shut Ian up about throwing to the running backs (this young Roger Craig fan has been on that train for 30 years). Blue’s a good receiver too. 

Flood is a huge hire for the OL. I think he’ll appeal to the state’s top kids in a class where there are enough of them if UT can get greedy. He should bring some poaching ability from the southeast as well. When my North Shore contacts raved about him, I liked it. Ditto the Brockermeyers. 

D-line recruiting will be interesting. They’ll likely do well with the big boys (won’t need too many of those) but I wonder about the sleek athletes screaming off the edge that the program is lacking. Edge rusher/OLB might be the biggest need in the class. They need a coach who can look nationally like Aggie has been able to do.

Any SEC flavor helps with Harold Perkins at LB, imo. He’s going to be one of the biggest battles of 2022 and right now UT will be on the outside looking in. That shouldn’t be the case and with a good hire it won’t be.

There will be time to go much deeper on this, but this staff has the chance to knee-cap some tried and true negative recruiting pitches towards Texas (offense, OL development, S!E!C!, etc. Hopefully it helps overcome that whole lack of winning thing, too). 

Of course the staff has a ways to go until it’s complete

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, RGBIII said:

Nahlin

While waiting on this stupid phone to ring, let’s talk a little 2022 recruiting. 

If you get Raymond, you get Denver Harris. If you get Raymond he’ll likely return UT’s native sons to it — Bryan Allen and Bryce Anderson.

If it’s Ansley, which I don’t think is all that real, there are plenty of safeties to parse through. Either would likely land Terrance Brooks with some effort (underrated stud, must get, imo). He’s a corner but could play anything in the back end.

Outside of Urban Meyer, Sarkisian already gives UT the best chance to return Quinn Ewers to his birthright. Milwee is a football nerd and so is Quinn. Milwee would probably be a help, even though he’s not big into recruiting. But don’t sleep on Connor Weigman or Sarkisian looking nationally. It’s really easy to see Weigman sitting back dealing like Mac Jones.

Texas needs to absolutely load up in the WR class and this is the cycle to do it. I’m thinking Holmon Wiggins, if he’s the guy, will do well on reputation and Sarkisian’s offense alone. He’s not a dynamic recruiter but he has skins on the wall and is a good coach. UT would be wise to market testimonials from some satisfied first round draft picks. Need Evan Stewart for sure. 

Drayton is going to do his thing and land a stud. Probably Jaydon Blue. Take Jamarion Miller so we can shut Ian up about throwing to the running backs (this young Roger Craig fan has been on that train for 30 years). Blue’s a good receiver too. 

Flood is a huge hire for the OL. I think he’ll appeal to the state’s top kids in a class where there are enough of them if UT can get greedy. He should bring some poaching ability from the southeast as well. When my North Shore contacts raved about him, I liked it. Ditto the Brockermeyers. 

D-line recruiting will be interesting. They’ll likely do well with the big boys (won’t need too many of those) but I wonder about the sleek athletes screaming off the edge that the program is lacking. Edge rusher/OLB might be the biggest need in the class. They need a coach who can look nationally like Aggie has been able to do.

Any SEC flavor helps with Harold Perkins at LB, imo. He’s going to be one of the biggest battles of 2022 and right now UT will be on the outside looking in. That shouldn’t be the case and with a good hire it won’t be.

There will be time to go much deeper on this, but this staff has the chance to knee-cap some tried and true negative recruiting pitches towards Texas (offense, OL development, S!E!C!, etc. Hopefully it helps overcome that whole lack of winning thing, too). 

Well hell, I just took a bolus of burnt orange Kool-Aid straight to the antecubital fossa.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, RGBIII said:

Nahlin

Really good analysis...I also think Sark helps more than anyone in getting Ewers to flip..,He’s just looking for a reason..everyone keeps talking about Wiggins not being able to recruit, but first off a winning Texas recruits itself and if he’s the developer everyone says he won’t have to know how..The proofs in the pudding..

This is going to be a jam packed offseason once the championship game is over..

7 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Sark needs to show a list of QBs he’s put in the NFL and then show Day’s.  Let Ewers see the difference. 

While there might be some weight there -- flip the narrative -- the tOSU angle is that Day is 23-1 as a HC with his lone loss coming by 6 points to Clemson in a CFP semifinal and he's in the CCG this season. Sarkisian is 46-35 all time and has only finished ranked twice in his HC career - he's never even won a conference championship despite having the most talented roster, by a large margin, in a bad conference. tOSU roster is loaded well beyond the 2-deep with NFL talent - the Texas roster has got quite a bit of NFL talent but it's not at WR and it's not 4-5 deep. 

Ewers would be a top tier draft choice if he went to Rice, so the NFL is a chip but winning is clearly a big one. He made a business decision and the decision matched his skill set with an offense and team that is championship ready with weapons all over the field and a young coach entrenched in his role. 

While there might be some weight there -- flip the narrative -- the tOSU angle is that Day is 23-1 as a HC with his lone loss coming by 6 points to Clemson in a CFP semifinal and he's in the CCG this season. Sarkisian is 46-35 all time and has only finished ranked twice in his HC career - he's never even won a conference championship despite having the most talented roster, by a large margin, in a bad conference. tOSU roster is loaded well beyond the 2-deep with NFL talent - the Texas roster has got quite a bit of NFL talent but it's not at WR and it's not 4-5 deep. 
Ewers would be a top tier draft choice if he went to Rice, so the NFL is a chip but winning is clearly a big one. He made a business decision and the decision matched his skill set with an offense and team that is championship ready with weapons all over the field and a young coach entrenched in his role. 

Fucking Debbie downer man.
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, texifornia said:

Yeah. Recruiting chops are more of a nice-to-have there, as long as they can connect with their one big target every year.

its gonna be on Sark to recruit the QB.  Just have to make sure QB coach is liked by the recruit.

We need to Casey to go off on ou and have a big year.  If Ewers loved the horns growing up and has Texas family alumni... he’ll be watching our games this year.  Need to show him that he doesn’t have to go to bum fuck Columbus to win.  This is a complete new staff that has nothing to lose.  Let’s see if Day can sustain a program more than 1-2 years.  What happens when Urban’a staff and recruits leave over the course of the next few years.  Let’s see him develop recruits and QBs that are his own.  The pressure will be on ohio state to keep him.  Sark has nothing to lose here, show him what he wants and it will be hard for him not to follow his heart.  

Edited by victory88

11 hours ago, Vertigo said:

Wut? How can a young QB coach not be into recruiting?

4 hours ago, RGBIII said:

Joe Brady. Some think they are above it

4 hours ago, texifornia said:

Yeah. Recruiting chops are more of a nice-to-have there, as long as they can connect with their one big target every year.

21 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

its gonna be on Sark to recruit the QB.  Just have to make sure QB coach is liked by the recruit.

Like with all of the other shit flying all over the place right now regarding the new staff, we should be pretty open-minded about whether or not the Milwee guy can recruit, wants to recruit, can evaluate, wants to evaluate, etc. Nahlin says shit as a matter of fact when he quite often has no fucking clue. 

How do I know? Because not anyone here, not Nahlin, not any of the other "gurus" has a fucking clue how this guy recruited at Akron. Not anyone, anywhere, besides people involved with Bama on the inside know whether or not he played any kind of role in recruiting, and how effectively to boot, while serving as an analyst at Bama. One thing I do know, for certain, is that eeeeeeeeveryfuckingbody on the Bama staff is required to be aggressive on the recruiting front, unless they're a clown like Mike Stoops. 

Let's at least wait a bit before we turn "AJ Milwee doesn't give a shit about recruiting/can't recruit" into a board trope. There's zero merit in it until we witness his acumen, or lack thereof, firsthand. This is the first time in his career anyone will be able to assess what kind of recruiter he actually is. 

• Hook 'Em 6

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

Like with all of the other shit flying all over the place right now regarding the new staff, we should be pretty open-minded about whether or not the Milwee guy can recruit, wants to recruit, can evaluate, wants to evaluate, etc. Nahlin says shit as a matter of fact when he quite often has no fucking clue. 

How do I know? Because not anyone here, not Nahlin, not any of the other "gurus" has a fucking clue how this guy recruited at Akron. Not anyone, anywhere, besides people involved with Bama on the inside know whether or not he played any kind of role in recruiting, and how effectively to boot, while serving as an analyst at Bama. One thing I do know, for certain, is that eeeeeeeeveryfuckingbody on the Bama staff is required to be aggressive on the recruiting front, unless they're a clown like Mike Stoops. 

Let's at least wait a bit before we turn "AJ Milwee doesn't give a shit about recruiting/can't recruit" into a board trope. There's zero merit in it until we witness his acumen, or lack thereof, firsthand. This is the first time in his career anyone will be able to assess what kind of recruiter he actually is. 

I never said he didn't give a shit about recruiting.  he may be great at it.  IMO, Sark is the play caller and real OC so its going to be on him to close the QB.  Its his area and don't think that is an unreasonable take.

5 minutes ago, Machinator said:

As a general rule, I hope Sark is more involved in the day-to-day of recruiting, as opposed to Herman, who seemed to think he was above it all.

agree but there is some sense of bringing in the closer, which was Mack's deal, and probably what Herman saw at tOSU as well.  that said, key recruits need to feel special. its an art not a science.

Mack also didn't carpet bomb.  every offer was like a Willy Wonka golden ticket in his mind.  not sure what Sark's philosophy on that is.

12 minutes ago, Machinator said:

As a general rule, I hope Sark is more involved in the day-to-day of recruiting, as opposed to Herman, who seemed to think he was above it all.

Judging by the fact that he's already calling recruits and signees in the 2021 class I would be he's going to be very involved. 

In fact I've been pretty fucking impressed how much is happening while he's also preparing to coach in a national championship game.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

agree but there is some sense of bringing in the closer, which was Mack's deal, and probably what Herman saw at tOSU as well.  that said, key recruits need to feel special. its an art not a science.

Mack also didn't carpet bomb.  every offer was like a Willy Wonka golden ticket in his mind.  not sure what Sark's philosophy on that is.

That's how Tom acted with offers as well.  Fuck it, carpet bomb it away Sark..you can never please THSFB coaches anyways

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Also because Herman being more invoked means he would’ve been having even more semantics arguments with our best commits leading to them being our highest rated decommits. 

Sark is a rainmaker recruiter, so we want him as involved as possible while still managing the team/taking breaks to go on 2 day benders during game weeks. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Judging by the fact that he's already calling recruits and signees in the 2021 class I would be he's going to be very involved. 

In fact I've been pretty fucking impressed how much is happening while he's also preparing to coach in a national championship game.

This is Saban's concern dude

Let's temper expectations on "rainmaker" recruiting.

Sark has had a lot of success at Alabama. He is the OC of the offense with the best personnel in CFB at a perennial powerhouse. His offense looks better because of that fact, and his recruiting gets a boost. Also, bag man network. At Texas, the offense will have to prove itself without the eliteelite talent at the top (except Bijan, maybe Card, and we'll see if Whit/Smith can get their head on and stay healthy) and lack of elite depth. He's also going to have to win. Situational success does not a rainmaker make. It looks like the bag man will play a role - that's encouraging, and hopefully indicative of a loaded first 2 classes. 

At Washington he pulled in Sankey (.90), and then a bunch of 4* busts. He hovered around 15-20 in the rankings. To me, this indicates pretty clean recruiting. He landed some decent wc kids, but it appears that the higher ranked guys that chose Washington are the ones that USC/Oregon didn't want/pay.

At SC, I'll give him credit for '15. Number 2 in the country with lots of big names, mostly west coast, but also a highly ranked Georgia lineman. I won't comment on the bags at SC as there are others here wiho know much more than I. That said, this is not a clean class. 

Sark will have the built in benefits of Texas, is apparently playing the game, and has previous success to lean on, but he isn't a rainmaker. He's a good recruiter when given ideal situations, and at Texas he'll need to create those for himself. 

23 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Let's temper expectations on "rainmaker" recruiting.

Sark has had a lot of success at Alabama. He is the OC of the offense with the best personnel in CFB at a perennial powerhouse. His offense looks better because of that fact, and his recruiting gets a boost. Also, bag man network. At Texas, the offense will have to prove itself without the eliteelite talent at the top (except Bijan, maybe Card, and we'll see if Whit/Smith can get their head on and stay healthy) and lack of elite depth. He's also going to have to win. Situational success does not a rainmaker make. It looks like the bag man will play a role - that's encouraging, and hopefully indicative of a loaded first 2 classes. 

At Washington he pulled in Sankey (.90), and then a bunch of 4* busts. He hovered around 15-20 in the rankings. To me, this indicates pretty clean recruiting. He landed some decent wc kids, but it appears that the higher ranked guys that chose Washington are the ones that USC/Oregon didn't want/pay.

At SC, I'll give him credit for '15. Number 2 in the country with lots of big names, mostly west coast, but also a highly ranked Georgia lineman. I won't comment on the bags at SC as there are others here wiho know much more than I. That said, this is not a clean class. 

Sark will have the built in benefits of Texas, is apparently playing the game, and has previous success to lean on, but he isn't a rainmaker. He's a good recruiter when given ideal situations, and at Texas he'll need to create those for himself. 

Huh? Sark had Lupoi at UW so he was absolutely not recruiting clean, and your characterization of his recruiting is way off. He recruited like 13 guys who were picked in the top 2 rounds of the NFL draft in the 4 years he was there. They landed some really highly rated recruits. Shaq Thompson was the #5 player in the country and the highest rated prospect to ever sign with UW. Austin Sefaraian Jenkins was #41 in the country. Troy Williams (QB who ended up playing for Utah) was a top 100 commit. Overall, they had a ton of success recruiting guys to a UW program that was in total disarray when they got there, and they identified and landed a bunch of NFL Talent that would put UT’s current NFL talent to shame. At freaking UW coming off an 0-12 season. Then he went to a USC program that was in quite a bit of disarray and was .5 points away from beating Bama for the best recruiting class in the country. The guy is absolutely an elite recruiter and he builds a staff that’s great at recruiting too. 

• Hook 'Em 4

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting