Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

3 minutes ago, Xian said:

Video interview has calmed me down. Even has me a little excited.  Hook’em Coach 

Yeah the part about his dad telling him he had just gotten the best job in college football made me feel better about it.  He seems like he knows what he is getting into.   

Edited by Tex48
Grammar
  • Hook 'Em 3

53 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Yes, and via people who know what they’re doing. 

Not only is that fucking asshat here, these clowns on this board repped him this summer while you and I were gone to the point that his dumb ass can’t be crowdsourced. Expect death threats soon if you keep questioning his presence. 

This bag dropping- you reading between the lines and guessing or is this tangible/confirmed?  

25 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

This bag dropping- you reading between the lines and guessing or is this tangible/confirmed?  

Both. Here’s the thing to think about - two of the best bagman ops ever were at USC under Carroll and Bama under Saban. Sarkisian excelled as a recruiter in both places. There is no regulation any more. The piety at Texas is largely gone. We need to win in today’s world of CFB. 

• Hook 'Em 5

It would have been stupid to go balls to the wall for Urban but continue to cling to the days of Saint Darrell and do things "the right way" in recruiting.

I happen to think Sark is actually a good offensive mind, but it will be easier for him if he can get in some absolute studs on offense by year 2. Also easier if we don't hire Drew freaking Mehringer or his equivalent.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 4

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

Both. Here’s the thing to think about - two of the best bagman ops ever were at USC under Carroll and Bama under Saban. Sarkisian excelled as a recruiter in both places. There is no regulation any more. The piety at Texas is largely gone. We need to win in today’s world of CFB. 

Was texting with my Aggie brother and he wanted to know what I thought. Told him disappointed, hiring a drunk, guy that’s already shot the bed at a big time program yada yada. He asked if anyone was excited or anything positive and I told him- yeah- people at Washington and Bama both say good things about him so we shall see. And my next statement was maybe we will start playing the bagman game seriously. 
as all good aggy does he said- so like the good old days. My response was I don’t think Texas has ever cheated in an institutional sense. 
Then I said - I think there only ever really been one bagman type situation by a blue blood in a nice location and that’s PC and USC. And Sark was there. And Saban is the best bag man ever. Sark has been under both of them- I can’t imagine he doesn’t know how to do it or how successful it can be. 
All that said we thought the same about Herman going in, didn’t we? And I don’t get the sense we really untied his hands there- have we?  I feel like if we had Waddle would have been a horn. And some of the other backs and CB’s we’ve missed out on. 
I don’t know. I figure I will know it when I see it in the staff hire but I’d you’ve already got confirmation that’s pretty interesting. 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Laga4 said:

Some things I just don't get,  and the love for coach Boom is one of them. 

Nothing against him,  just don't think he is a very good coach.  

He’s a good recruiter. He’s a good teacher. He’s a decent tactician. I’d imagine we have a top 10 defense most years with him and. It worse than top 25. 
that’s a good coordinator. 

• Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, Laga4 said:

Some things I just don't get,  and the love for coach Boom is one of them. 

Nothing against him,  just don't think he is a very good coach.  

You might want to look at the prospective defensive staffs IT is saying are likely if Muschamp or Ash is DC. I would take Muschamp 10/10.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

With TFB saying Lupoi is very likely and if he does indeed come here, his first trip needs to be to Houston and introduce himself to Banks, Green, Perkins, Dewberry, Sylla, ect.

Between him and Raymond possibly opening North Shore back up...GOD DAMN

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, RGBIII said:

Between him and Raymond possibly opening North Shore back up...GOD DAMN

Raymond was probably only if we got Muschamp. We may also lose Hutzler with no Muschamp, because Sark may force his Stoops hire on Ash and/or Hutzler may go with Muschamp. I would expect our actual staff to be a massive downgrade from the potential staffs rumored so far. 

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

Raymond was probably only if we got Muschamp. We may also lose Hutzler with no Muschamp, because Sark may force his Stoops hire on Ash and/or Hutzler may go with Muschamp. I would expect our actual staff to be a massive downgrade from the potential staffs rumored so far. 

Full Satya this early....fwiw there is still Raymond smoke even after the Muschamp deal is dead. He may want out of the swamp before it gets even messier

1 minute ago, RGBIII said:

Full Satya this early....fwiw there is still Raymond smoke even after the Muschamp deal is dead. He may want out of the swamp before it gets even messier

I wouldn’t say full satya. These coaching staffs never end up being anywhere near the initial wish list. It’s just how it goes most places unless you have a guy like Meyer or Saban coming in. 

Raymond may be looking to get out, but I don’t see him ending up here if no Muschamp.

33 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Indescribably happy this one's been put to bed

• Hook 'Em 6

49 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I can't see Sark deciding Ash did a good enough job to be retained but then turn around and dismiss Hutzler. That doesn't follow. If Hutzer leaves to work under Muschamp (ND? Auburn?) then he leaves, but if you're retaining Ash there's no reason not to offer to keep Hutzler on.

5 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I can't see Sark deciding Ash did a good enough job to be retained but then turn around and dismiss Hutzler. That doesn't follow. If Hutzer leaves to work under Muschamp (ND? Auburn?) then he leaves, but if you're retaining Ash there's no reason not to offer to keep Hutzler on.

It's moot, Stoops ain't coming (thankfully). Just hope Hutzler doesn't get poached.

23 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Hoping Sark will make Evan Stewart and Brennan Thompson a priority.  We need elite speed at the WR position.

Yup, we need play makers like those guys.  I think Thompson has been ou bound for some time .  I’m hoping Sark can sell these guys on his success with Waddle, Jeudy, Smith, Ruggs.  We need Texas to be WRU.  All the dominant CFP teams have elite WR rooms.  Texas needs that.

9 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

I wouldn’t say full satya. These coaching staffs never end up being anywhere near the initial wish list. It’s just how it goes most places unless you have a guy like Meyer or Saban coming in. 

Raymond may be looking to get out, but I don’t see him ending up here if no Muschamp.

Raymond's not contingent on Will. Would've helped but not necessary.

• Hook 'Em 3

IT:

Spoiler

Gerry Hamilton

ESPN Recruiting Analyst

IT Recruiting Matters: Who could Sarkisian target in-state in 2022?

When looking at the prospect in the state of Texas a Steve Sarkisian staff will likely target out of the gates, one has to begin with which players Alabama has offered in the class because there will be familiarity and contact having been made prior to Sarkisian becoming the head coach in Austin.

IT takes a look at the Alabama in-state 2022 offers position by position with offense today and defense Tuesday, with the understanding that all offers are not the same.

Quarterback:
Quinn Ewers, Southlake Carroll
6-3, 205
The Ohio State verbal has a relationship with Sarkisian, but IT will place this in the long shot category until proven otherwise. This is the lone in-state 2022 QB Sarkisian had offered at Alabama.

Running back:
Jaydon Blue, Klein Cain
5-10, 200
What does Cain do best? He’s beyond elite with his versatility out of te backfield. Big play potential. Puts pressure on the defense on the perimeter and in space. Texas was the favorite head into the season over Oklahoma and LSU.

Tavorus Jones, El Paso Burges

Wide receiver:
Evan Stewart, Frisco Liberty
6-0, 175
Texas was the trending favorite prior to the season. Alabama offered during this season, and there is zero doubt the explosive Stewart will be a priority for the new staff.

Brenen Thompson, Spearman
5-10, 165
Like Stewart, Thompson’s speed and ability to put pressure on a defense will make him a priority for Sarkisian. Oklahoma has had the edge in this recruitment for months.

Caleb Burton, Del Valle
6-0, 165
Flipping the Ohio State verbal and Austin area prospect would be a huge win for the new staff. IT wouldn’t put this in the likely category at this point.

Jordan Hudson, Garland
6-1, 180
The thought of flipping an in-state wide receiver from Oklahoma will likely make Hudson a priority. That and the fact that Hudson has a special pair of hands, an is underrated after the catch in short space.

Cristian Driver, Argyle Liberty Christian
6-0, 180
Oklahoma was the favorite for the son of Donald Driver headed into the season. Texas was in the top 5, however.

Armani Winfield, Lewisville
6-2, 180
Texas was trending late in the summer and after Ewers committed to Texas. Just how high Winfield remains on the board with the emergence of Nicholas Anderson (Katy High) and Chris Marshall (Fort Bend Marshall) this season is the question.

Tight end:
Donovan Green, Dickinson
6-4, 220
Texas A&M and Florida have come on strong this season. Prior to the season, it was Texas A&M and Texas at the top of the list per a source at Dickinson.

Offensive tackle:
Kelvin Banks, Summer Creek
6-5, 295
Banks was a Texas lean when he started the process, prior to committing to Oklahoma State. During the season, Texas A&M, Texas and LSU were the three mentioned the most.

Jaylen Early, Duncanville
6-4, 270
Maybe the most athletic offensive line prospect on a loaded Panthers OL. Texas has work to do at Duncanville High moving forward.

Offensive guard:
Devon Campbell, Arlington Bowie
6-3, 300
Campbell had Texas at the top of the list prior to the season, along with Oklahoma and LSU. There is little doubt the athletic and aggressive guard will be a high priority for the new staff.

Neto Umeozulu, Allen
6-4, 300
The versatile OL with excellent foot and body quickness could project to tackle or guard. He will be a priority for Sarkisiana’s staff, and every staff that recruits Texas.

Cole Hutson, Frisco High
6-4, 290
The Arizona State legacy has been high on Texas and Texas A&M among his in-state offers.

Kam Dewberry, Atascocita
6-4, 320
Dewberry has tackle length and a guard frame. Texas has always had good communication with Dewberry, as has Texas A&M and many others.

• Hook 'Em 5

Stampede

Spoiler

It's been an exciting weekend for Texas fans.

With the announcement of new Texas head coach Steve Sarkisian, a new day dawns for a program that has been struggling to find the road back to the top of the college football mountain for the last decade.

Yesterday, we profiled possible candidates with ties to Sarkisian and others who could provide a boost for recruiting. We'll have more time to talk about possible staff additions and what they could mean for Texas in the coming days.

It's now important to look at where the program has been and where the program is going. In this week's second part of The Stampede, Horns247's weekly gathering of recruiting intel, we provide a short autopsy on Texas recruiting under Tom Herman, discuss what Steve Sarkisian brings to the table as a recruiter and talk about some big name targets Texas could factor in for in the coming years.

WHAT WENT WRONG THIS YEAR IN TEXAS RECRUITING?
It’s tough to criticize the overall recruiting results under Tom Herman. Before this year, the Longhorns racked up classes ranked No. 3, No. 3 and No. 8. You don’t get those results by dumb luck, and I think that sometimes we focus more on the losses than the wins.

However, recruiting momentum was as dead this year as it could be. Much of that had to do with a pandemic and a brand-new staff not able to meet face to face with prospects, but there were other long-term problems that manifested themselves.

Tim Beck was one of the top recruiters on Herman's original staff (Photo: Mike Roach, 247Sports)
When Texas moved on from a majority of the staff last year, they failed to replace valuable recruiters like Tim Beck, Drew Mehringer, Craig Naivar and Jason Washington. On the defensive side of the ball, Coleman Hutzler, Chris Ash and Jay Valai picked up the slack and showed good results relative to the obstacles they faced, but Texas didn’t get the same bump on the offensive side.

While Mike Yurcich provided a spark at times with quarterbacks and Andre Coleman was popular with some folks we spoke with, the offensive class was a more lackluster group compared to the defensive recruits. The biggest shortcomings were up front with Herb Hand missing on a number of options in a loaded 2021 class.

Ask around and you won’t find many people with a poor opinion of Hand as a person, but there were times when highly-ranked prospects told me they didn’t know where things stood with them and Texas. Savion Byrd was one who mentioned contact with Texas dropping off for periods of time. Another 2022 recruit I spoke with told me he doesn’t feel like a priority for Texas since Hand will rarely communicate with him.

One source I spoke with said that Hand seemed more interested in recruiting kids who were thought of as lay ups than really getting into dogfights for elite prospects. In a region where he must go up against a superstar in Oklahoma OL coach Bill Bedenbaugh and a rising star in Texas A&M’s Josh Henson, Texas needs more in that area.

(Photo: © Tim Warner, Getty)
Still, one of the biggest obstacles for Texas was Tom Herman himself in the end. While many recruits strongly connected with him and loved him, you could find just as many who didn’t feel the same. One high school recruiting coordinator I talked with said there was an arrogance with Herman that turned others off. When he was out on the road visiting schools, I was told there were times Herman seemed disengaged with high school coaches and expecting the red carpet to be rolled out because it was Texas.

There were some moments when coaches I spoke with felt Herman lacked self-awareness as to how he was coming off. One story, in particular, centered on a school in east Texas where Herman and an assistant were late while stopping in to visit coaches. When Herman finally showed up, several of the assistants joked that they could finally move on because “the Texas head coach” was here. From what I was told, the coaches were chiding him a bit but he didn’t seem to pick up on it.

Another coach I spoke with said the overall effort from Texas just lacked follow up. There were many times the Longhorns would offer a player late and then expect to win them over off of reputation. When Herman’s staff first took over, there seemed to be a hungry recruiting effort focused on early evaluations and aggressive pursuit, but that died down the stretch.

It wasn’t all bad, though. In the coming weeks there will likely be some piling on and focus on the bad, but Herman did some great things as well. He elevated the overall talent level at Texas and put the roster in a place that SHOULD be able to compete for championships. He also was incredibly instrumental on helping Texas take the next step in facility upgrades and social media presence. Before Herman, the Texas program was run like a mom-and-pop shop, but his focus on expanding staff, marketing and improving facilities shouldn’t be forgotten.

Herman also employed several programs like 4Ever Texas that helped student athletes excel after graduation, and Texas took a step up in personal development of its athletes. All in all, Tom Herman leaves Texas better than he found it, and the roster is still in a place where Steve Sarkisian can take the baton and continue an upward trend. In the grand scheme of things, Herman’s dismissal might be looked at as unfair with results other programs would be happy with, but the expectations at Texas are part of the job.

PROFILING SARKISIAN

(Photo: Stuart McNair, 247Sports)
I’ve been able to speak to a number of sources about what Texas fans can expect from the new head coach. As one reminded me, it should mean something that Alabama was positioning him to be the next in line if Nick Saban retired. I know a lot has been made about his record, but Alabama could literally go in any number of directions after Saban, but there were reports that Sarkisian was the choice.

As a recruiter, Sarkisian has always had a strong record in that department and I’m told he likes to surround himself with “hunters” on his staff. As a quarterback developer, I’m not sure there’s a more respected guy in the country than Sarkisian. That bleeds over to recruiting. I spoke with a former high school recruit who talked about the way Sarkisian connects with quarterbacks and speaks their language in the most glowing way possible.

We’ve talked about his west coast ties quite a bit, and I expect him to look west if he feels there are better options at quarterback than the state of Texas holds. Sarkisian was pivotal in Alabama landing Bryce Young. How pivotal? One source I spoke with said that if Young were ever to enter the portal, Texas would likely be the favorite there. Young actually liked Texas early in his recruitment. Obviously, Young has a great thing going at Alabama and we haven’t heard any rumors of him looking around, but the source pointed it out as something to watch for.

LOOK TO THE WEST

Maalik Murphy (Photo: Blair Angulo, 247Sports)

The west coast flavor would benefit Texas in the next two cycles as two incredible quarterback prospects reside in California.  Five-star 2022 passer Maalik Murphy is one of them, and he retweeted Sarkisian’s announcement with positive approval.  Texas offered the Gardena (Calif.) Junipero Serra passer before any quarterback in the 2022 class and he’s always been intrigued by Texas.  With Sarkisian now on board a number of recruiters with west coast ties rumored to be candidates to join his coaching staff, Texas could definitely get back into the mix for the 6-foot-4, 215 pound passer who is referred to as “Baby Cam.”

In 2023, Malachi Nelson of Los Alamitos (Calif.) ranks No. 6 nationally right now.  Texas was already in position for him as Nelson had a good relationship with Mike Yurcich, but Alabama is also in the running for him.  Nelson competed at the Elite 11 Los Angeles Regional competition in November and won 247Sports’ Alpha Dog honors there.

Greg Biggins wrote the following about his performance at the time.

"At an event like this, you often see the quarterbacks trying to throw every pass 100MPH to impress their peers with arm strength but Nelson is about completing passes accurately and on time. He does have a live arm, can throw rolling left and right and from several different arm angles. He’s a smooth pocket passer who is comfortable throwing on the run as well and with a strong sophomore season, will definitely be in the discussion for top overall player in the ’23 class."

COMMENTS
At the same event, Nelson told 247Sports the following about a visit he took to Alabama.

"I definitely have a lot of interest in Bama right now and have a great connection with coach Sark. I've been talking to him for a long time and even though a few other schools offered before Bama did, Sark is one of the first coaches I really connected with. It's very early in the process for me and I have a ways to go but I have high interest in Alabama and looking forward to continuing to build a relationship with them."

Tom Herman did a great job building the quarterback room at Texas, but Sarkisian should have the ability to put Texas into contention for some heavyweight prospects over the next few years. That’s not to mention some of the other big name talent out west including Raleek Brown and Domani Jackson.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

(Bobby Burton) Monday: The Week That Was

Think about this. It hasn’t even been a full week since Texas throttled Colorado in the Alamo Bowl. Yet the entire Longhorn football world has changed. Gone is Tom Herman. Hello Steve Sarkisian. We’re now chasing who Sarkisian will fill out his inaugural staff with. Yet there are no regrets on the dismissal of Herman. After texting with multiple key figures involved in and impacted by the decision in Sunday, it was one that “had to be done.” Another said, “we (the University) need a fresh start. Lots of reasons for this move.”

And for any of you wondering whether Sarkisian has watched any Texas football recently, the answer is yes. Sark told one Alabama staffer that, after reviewing film - multiple games - of Texas, there’s more talent on the 40 Acres than he initially had thought. Given the last six days, there’s no telling what will occur in the next seven-to-10 days. After all, Sarkisian has a national championship game a week from today, and then he’s headed to Austin.

• Hook 'Em 3

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting