Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

(Bobby Burton) Monday: Sinking Bad Ideas

Urban Meyer has all but officially told Texas “thanks, but no thanks” citing health concerns. Understandably discouraged, Texas brass is coming to terms with that reality. So what’s next? It appears that there is a narrative being pushed by some in the athletic department that, sans a hiring of Meyer, keeping Tom Herman is the next best decision. The idea, at least to me, is completely untenable.

I freely admit that getting through signing day, and keeping a below average recruiting class - by Texas standards - together has value compared to dropping an Atom Bomb on the class with roughly a week to go before the early signing period. But to keep Herman for the long term is totally different. It would speak to a greater misunderstanding of just where the Texas program is, who is leading it, the expectations of it, and why there was ever a desire to remove and replace Herman in the first place.

Herman, as a coach, has underperformed on a routine basis. Playing close games and not getting embarrassed is not the goal of a Texas football coach. Nor is winning 70-percent of your games in a conference where winning 80-85 percent is needed to compete for conference title annually. One Big 12 championship game appearance in four years, when Texas has had top two talent, in three of the last four years, is abysmal.

Furthermore, where Herman once shined - in recruiting - is fading fast. The 2021 recruiting class will be and is already below Texas standards. If Herman is maintained, the 2022 recruiting class will be below the standards of TCU or Oklahoma State, much less those of Oklahoma, A&M or LSU. I don’t think anyone attempting to keep Tom Herman understands just how drastic the outlook is for recruiting next season.

Texas will likely have to sign an entire class of “evaluation” players. Texas will have to successfully do what Gary Patterson and Mike Gundy have done over the years just to stay competitive. That’s not what Texas should be reduced to given the power of its logo.

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Rivals update this class.  Harold Perkins is now a composite 5*.  Conner Weigman went up over 100 spots on Rivals and is now a top 100 national player in the composite.  And Rivals wtf ranking is Bear Alexander at #5 in the nation.

I kinda checked out of recruiting news once our season took a nosedive but wasn't Alexander set to commit somewhere during the season?

32 minutes ago, ChampionshipLevelPiss said:

I kinda checked out of recruiting news once our season took a nosedive but wasn't Alexander set to commit somewhere during the season?

We looked really good for him when we had Bowman in, good thing we hung on to Sanders (hopefully)

A lot of those DBs that went through Ohio State when Chris Ash was there were not Top 100 guys. Some were even 3 star guys like Hooker.

Might not have been Ash at all but the only two players to get drafted by the NFL the last couple of years at Rutgers were DBs. 

Not as much development as evaluating. Can't turn anyone into a NFL player no matter if some services want to claim they are a 5 star.

2 hours ago, Thiefery said:

I still think the '22 class can be special for Texas even without Ewers and Burton.. But we need a coaching change in the worst way.  

That’s if we can actually get the other top 30 prospects in the state to consider us.  If Herman is still here, I expect us to get maybe 1-2.  with a new coach, maybe we can get 5-8 of the top 30 prospects and even that isn’t enough.  Aggy and ou is going to clean up next year if they keep winning.

Since we've totally shit the bed with OL/Center for the 21' class, this kid is the early #1 Center for the 22' class and Super K said a while back a Texas offer would vault us up to the top.  Earl Thomas's cousin.  OU and aggy have already offered.  Of course, seeing as how we do things, we'll offer 2 weeks before signing day while he's already committed to OU or someone.

https://247sports.com/player/demetrius-hunter-46102660/

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Since we've totally shit the bed with OL/Center for the 21' class, this kid is the early #1 Center for the 22' class and Super K said a while back a Texas offer would vault us up to the top.  Earl Thomas's cousin.  OU and aggy have already offered.  Of course, seeing as how we do things, we'll offer 2 weeks before signing day while he's already committed to OU or someone.

https://247sports.com/player/demetrius-hunter-46102660/

even if we offer TODAY we will have offered 5 months after A&M and 6 months after OU

Texas has 11 current offers out to OL - 8 OT and 3 OG (7 in Texas)

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Season/2022-Football/Offers/

19 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

losing a generational qb is a huge fucking loss....especially so given he grew up a longhorn fan.

The last "generational" QB I saw was VY.  I havent seen any VY's out there.  But, if you can stop clearing off the trophy case and give me a little advice on the stock market, I would appreciate it.  At my advanced age I cant afford any more 2008 type "corrections".  May not have time to recover.  I usually enjoy your post but is it too much to ask that we let the guy finish HS and possibly take a few snaps in college before we anoint him the next savior?  I've seen this before.  :) 

• Fuck You 1

27 minutes ago, tonedeaf said:

The last "generational" QB I saw was VY.  I havent seen any VY's out there.  But, if you can stop clearing off the trophy case and give me a little advice on the stock market, I would appreciate it.  At my advanced age I cant afford any more 2008 type "corrections".  May not have time to recover.  I usually enjoy your post but is it too much to ask that we let the guy finish HS and possibly take a few snaps in college before we anoint him the next savior?  I've seen this before.  :) 

Trevor Lawrence is a generational QB.  Ewers is looking like he will be further in his development than Lawrence at their same stages.  

16 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Trevor Lawrence is a generational QB.  Ewers is looking like he will be further in his development than Lawrence at their same stages.  

You might be right.  I guess it's my definition of a "generational" player.  Apparently they come around more than once a generation.  Earl was a generational player. 

53 minutes ago, tonedeaf said:

If you don't think Trevor Lawrence (32-1 as a starter?) is generational you aren't paying enough attention to non Texas FB!

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 1

Ohio State has been picking the pockets in Texas a long time... unfortunately.

This recruiting cycle is gonna be tough, unless we get on a roll in the Fall.  Without some real affirmation that Herman is gonna be around, it will be a lot of wait and see in all likelihood.  The kids that have always loved the Horns will still come, but putting up W's. Until then kids are gonna opt for teams that win.  So maybe we can start winning all the damn close games... Then everything will take care of itself.  That is honestly what I am hoping for, as a winning Texas Longhorn team can look pretty appealing to a lot of kids.

The good news is we stacked up a few top classes, so time for those kids to show up and put up the W's.  I am honestly pretty pleased with the new incoming class considering all the noise around the program.  Just win damnit!

TEXAS has to recruit a great 2022 Class...

We all realize there are 3 teams vastly superior to everyone else. They may lose a game here or there but their programs are at different levels. They're at such different levels I'm not sure you don't have 3 (I'm including Meyer since his fingerprints are on the OSU program still) coaches that are top 10 and possibly top 5 all time. That is rare.

And now their ratings reflect it. There is a drop after those 3.

Our first priority next year is to win. While this year's class may be disappointing, it has enough upside to at least hold the line. Oline is critical. But otherwise I only half way give a damn. Whatever star Vaughn is at K State that is what we need. And the Portal is changing. Grad transfers are spot fillers but we'll probably see individual classes be less impactful moving forward because of all the underclass Portal entrants.

On 11/24/2020 at 3:31 PM, lemonandaturd said:

I guess these days players and their parents all believe the NFL is a done deal.  I would rather take my chances staying in Texas and making a name that will earn me a living for 50 years after my (Not For Long ) career is over.  Whatever, there may be some very good steel mills in Youngstown and Cleveland that need tool pushers.  

What about the current state of the Texas program says they are going to develop you into the kind of player that is such a standout at the college level that you're set for life just based on that?

12 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

What about the current state of the Texas program says they are going to develop you into the kind of player that is such a standout at the college level that you're set for life just based on that?

And also Ohio State isn't bad at school. It's a fine degree, especially since most of these guys aren't aiming at high finance or academia or anything like that.

Some concern about Roster limits if NCAA doesn't make adjustments for these extra years for players under the COVID-19 waiver rule...

"What are the ripples of the roster logjam? One Group of Five head coach pointed out two potential reverberations. He said that the real roster issues are going to come in 2022, as the exemption to be over 85 scholarship players is expected to be gone, but a majority of the roster still has an extra year. That’s going to potentially limit the amount of high school players in the class of 2022.  “What 2022 looks like is crazy,” the Group of Five head coach said. “Now that you have to get under the 85 threshold, it’s a scramble. What can you bring in in 2022? That’s a problem.  “If your son is in high school and he has a 2022 scholarship offer, he should commit right now.” 

On 12/22/2020 at 5:39 AM, LTtxfan said:

Some concern about Roster limits if NCAA doesn't make adjustments for these extra years for players under the COVID-19 waiver rule...

"What are the ripples of the roster logjam? One Group of Five head coach pointed out two potential reverberations. He said that the real roster issues are going to come in 2022, as the exemption to be over 85 scholarship players is expected to be gone, but a majority of the roster still has an extra year. That’s going to potentially limit the amount of high school players in the class of 2022.  “What 2022 looks like is crazy,” the Group of Five head coach said. “Now that you have to get under the 85 threshold, it’s a scramble. What can you bring in in 2022? That’s a problem.  “If your son is in high school and he has a 2022 scholarship offer, he should commit right now.” 

"Our seven commits were just 4D chess to avoid roster issues" - Mensa, NSD December 2021

Steve Wiltfong: Quinn Ewers talks return to field and recruiting more Buckeyes

In his first start since October, the Top247’s No. 1 2022 prospect in Ohio State commit Quinn Ewers returned to the field earlier this week to lead his Southlake (Texas) Carroll team to an exciting 30-26 playoff victory over Arlington Martin. Ewers was good on 20 of 35 attempts for 252 yards and three touchdowns. “I feel great,” Ewers told 247Sports. “It’s so awesome to finally be back out there.”

The five-star Ewers took his recovery from a hernia slow, but he’s hoping to explode over these next three weeks with an aim on a state championship. “I’m pretty close to 100 percent,” he said “It’s just having a little trouble with soreness here and there. This week I should be 100 percent.” Carroll will need Ewers to be 100 percent with the winner of Saturday’s Allen (Texas) High vs Euless (Texas) Trinity game waiting in the Regional Final. Allen is the No. 12 team in the country per MaxPreps.

In five games the 6-foot-3, 195-pound Ewers has thrown for 1,473 yards and 18 touchdowns to just two interceptions. He’s added two more rushing scores. In his spare time Ewers has also been helping the Buckeyes recruit. OSU currently has the country’s No. 1 recruiting class early in the 2022 cycle. “We’re trying to build the best class college football has ever seen,” Ewers said. “It’s going to be crazy I’ll tell you that.”

Some of the targets Ewers has been personally working on include five-star offensive tackle Zach Rice and Top247 offensive lineman Addison Nichols along with four-star running back Damari Alston and Top247 receiver Armani Winfield. Ewers had a magical sophomore season, completing over 72 percent of his passes for 4,003 yards and 45 touchdowns to just three interceptions. He rumbled his way to 568 more yards and nine scores, directing the Dragons to a 13-1 campaign that ended in the state quarterfinals loss to a loaded Duncanville team, where Ewers went off for 393 yards and three touchdowns in the 49-35 defeat.

247Sports National Analyst Gabe Brooks compares Ewers' game to that of Philip Rivers.

“Good height with a plus frame. Pro-style QB with athleticism and mobility that qualify for a dual-threat label. Elite improvisational QB who can extend plays and remain accurate on the move. Throws with a smooth, easy delivery and varies arm angles as needed. Impressive velocity and spin rate really show on routes over the middle and down the seams. Field-stretching vertical arm strength to consistently hit big plays over the top. Also shows encouraging touch on timing patterns and downfield routes that require it. Good runner by design or scramble. Understands how to protect himself as a runner and minimize shots. Shows encouraging pocket presence and awareness. Senses pressure and knows how to react to it. Also willing to stand and deliver under duress and will take a big shot if it means hanging in there to make the necessary throw. Occasionally will take risks, but that also is part of what makes him so good. Release quickness is good in general but could still quicken a bit at times. Elite QB prospect at the top of the 2022 cycle, at his position and across the board. Future impact high-major starter with long-term potential to be taken high in the NFL Draft.”

10 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

With talk now on the Brian Kelly front, any chance he would bring his OL Coach with him?  Jeff Quinn.  They already have 2 high rated OT's committed for 22' class.

That would obviously be the plan. His OL is a huge part of his success. I’d be a lot less excited about Kelly if he doesn’t bring the OL coach with him. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting