Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

TFB on Blue

Spoiler

As I mentioned earlier, I was down in Houston yesterday for the Fast 7v7 tryouts coached by Ro Simon Jr. where a number of the best prospects in Houston gathered to put on a show. Among them was Klein Cain running back Jaydon Blue.

Blue was spectacular yesterday. The top five nationally ranked running back certainly looked the part yesterday. I was amazed at Blue’s receiving skills. Blue was often in the slot throughout the afternoon and Moss’ed a number of defensive backs despite being just 5-foot-10-inches tall. Not to mention when he has the ball in his hands, good luck. He told me afterwards he was timed at 10.4 in the 100m dash and has a laser verified 4.4 time in the 40-yard dash.

But onto his recruitment and where the Longhorns stand despite the coaching change.

“Recruiting is going good, everything slowed down during the season,” Blue said. “I talked to a few coaches during the season, but I wasn’t talking to that many schools. Now that the season is over, I’ll get back to talking to all the schools and stuff.”

Among Texas, Blue is hearing the most from Oklahoma, Alabama, Georgia and LSU. He told me he had picked Alabama to win the National title prior to the season, Ohio State opened his eyes in the CFP game against Clemson and he was somewhat surprised by LSU’s disappointing season in 2020.

Of course, Texas had been in communication with Blue prior to the decision to fire Tom Herman, which came as a surprise to Blue.

“When I first heard (of Herman’s firing) I was kind of sad. Tom Herman, he’s a good guy and was one of the coaches I was super close with. Him and Coach (Stan) Drayton, I talked to him a bunch too.”

“With the new coach coming in, and me being young, I have time to evaluate the coach and hopefully I can build a good relationship with him.”

Blue added that he has not previously talked with Steve Sarkisian before, however he hopes to hear from him in a few weeks.

In regards to the offense Steve Sarkisian is bringing with him to Austin, Blue said it is intriguing knowing how many guys Alabama puts into the league offensively.

“One of my biggest (factors) is I need coaches that I can trust so that they can help me get to the NFL. Alabama is one of those schools that puts backs into the league.”

Due to practice, Blue wasn’t able to get a good look at a many college games this season, though he was able to follow along with the Texas season a bit. I lightheartedly asked if he could see himself in a two back set with Bijan Robinson in the future to which he said, “That would be a good 1-2 punch. He’s a real good back, and he’s very strong. I think I got him with the speed, I think I can beat most running backs with speed. I went 10.4 last year (in the 100m dash), so my speed is there.”

One of the biggest decisions Steve Sarkisian will be making in the next few days is whether or not to retain RB coach Stan Drayton. It is a decision that Blue will certainly have his eyes on as the two have built a pretty good relationship already.

“It’d be very important because he would be the coach coaching me and I already have a relationship with him. So if he were to stay, then UT will still be one of the schools that I am looking at.”

When it comes down to it, Blue will have his choice of any school in the country off of his talent on the field and his work in the class room. He told me he wants to study mechanical engineering in college and will be doing his research in which universities line up with his aspirations on the field and in the mechanical engineering field.

“I want to be an engineer after football. So I’ll be looking at that, along with the coaches I can trust. Everything else will fall into place, I just want to make sure I pick the right school.”

• Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Sark will want Ewers

No doubt and personally I think he'll flip him. Ewers and his dad, like many Longhorns, weren't impressed with the display during and after the Cotton Bowl. With a good number of the woke brigade leaving and some others about to be baptized I believe there's enough time to sufficiently convince the Ewers the culture is different. 

That said if he doesn't flip I think Sark will still boat a big fish.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1

Just now, maninblack said:

No doubt and personally I think he'll flip him. Ewers and his dad, like many Longhorns, weren't impressed with the display during and after the Cotton Bowl. With a good number of the woke brigade leaving and some others about to be baptized I believe there's enough time to sufficiently convince the Ewers the culture is different. 

That said if he doesn't flip I think Sark will still boat a big fish.

I like the way you think, especially if we get out to a hot start. I can guarantee the lines of communication won’t be cut off at any point in this recruitment

• Hook 'Em 1

Justin update:

Spoiler

Morning, y’all. Catching up on some of the top 2022 prospects and more. Remember, recruiting matters again.

QB Quinn Ewers, Southlake Carroll (2022): The nation's top passer for 2022 put on another impressive performance in the Dragons' win over Euless Trinity on Saturday morning. News of Steve Sarkisian coming to Texas trickled out during the contest and after the game, Ewers was effusive in his praise of Sarkisian, who recruited him at Alabama, but it appears Ohio State is the still the team today. Either way, you recruit this kid until the LOI is faxed.

QB Maalik Murphy, Junipero Serra (Gardena, CA) (2022): If not Ewers, Murphy would be a sexy consolation. The 6-foot-4, 215-pound pro-style quarterback is a fan of Sarkisian and the hire immediately caught his attention. The five-star was already familiar with the UT program while Tim Beck was on staff and built a decent relationship. With Sarkisian's roots embedded on the west coast, Murphy and the new Texas coach have already bonded over the last couple seasons. Murphy is very intrigued with UT and eager to see how Sarkisian’s staff. This is a recruitment I'm watching close.

DL Byron Murphy, Desoto (2021): After the initial disappointment of losing to Duncanville in the playoffs, Murphy is looking straight ahead, with his eyes solely fixated on Austin. While he enjoyed Mark Hagen and Oscar Giles during his recruitment, he realizes it's a business. He has faith in the Texas faithful to field the best staff and out him and his future teammates in the best position possible. After watching him closely on Saturday night, I think the Horns stole this kid. He's got grown-man strength at 18 years old.

RB Ollie Gordon, Euless Trinity (2022): The guy that went for almost 500 yards in a win over Allen couldn't pull the same magic out of the hat against Southlake Caroll on Saturday. But his 200+ yards, and two touchdowns, including housing a kickoff return were enough to get people's attention. While he's not in the Jaydon Blue/Jamarion Miller tier, he's certainly a tailback worth monitoring over the next few seasons. He's got 13 offers including Iowa State, Hawaii, and UH.

Bear Alexander, Denton Ryan: The 6-foot-3, 325-pound monster on Denton Ryan's stacked defensive squad stood out during the Raiders big win over Highland Park on Friday night. The previous Texas staff stayed in contact, but so did Alabama, LSU, OU, Florida, and Texas A&M. This is a guy I can see Sarkisian prioritizing in 2022, not only from the dearth of defensive line talent, but from his eye-opening first step and punch at the point of attack.

Anthony Hill Jr, Denton Ryan: The 2023 middle linebacker is old school. That 'backer that shoots gaps, doesn't get caught in the wash, and makes plays as a 15-year old on a team full of elite prospects. He holds a Texas verbal invitation and will surely be re-offered by the new staff. His relationship with the Alabama staff might help UT here.

Robert Sweeney, Highland Park (2023): At 6-foot-6, 250 pounds, he’s a looker with a frame that colleges look for in a D1 offensive tackle. His recruitment really just started, and Florida State and Penn State jumped in early. He trains with Texas-Ex Donald Hawkins, who might finally get to meet a Texas coach in 2021.

There’s whiskers newly committed cornerback Darion Dunn, McNeese State transfer, might be looking elsewhere after the coaching change. He only signed a financial aid agreement, which is non-binding. OU is one to watch here.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Justin update:

Reveal hidden contents

Morning, y’all. Catching up on some of the top 2022 prospects and more. Remember, recruiting matters again.

QB Quinn Ewers, Southlake Carroll (2022): The nation's top passer for 2022 put on another impressive performance in the Dragons' win over Euless Trinity on Saturday morning. News of Steve Sarkisian coming to Texas trickled out during the contest and after the game, Ewers was effusive in his praise of Sarkisian, who recruited him at Alabama, but it appears Ohio State is the still the team today. Either way, you recruit this kid until the LOI is faxed.

QB Maalik Murphy, Junipero Serra (Gardena, CA) (2022): If not Ewers, Murphy would be a sexy consolation. The 6-foot-4, 215-pound pro-style quarterback is a fan of Sarkisian and the hire immediately caught his attention. The five-star was already familiar with the UT program while Tim Beck was on staff and built a decent relationship. With Sarkisian's roots embedded on the west coast, Murphy and the new Texas coach have already bonded over the last couple seasons. Murphy is very intrigued with UT and eager to see how Sarkisian’s staff. This is a recruitment I'm watching close.

DL Byron Murphy, Desoto (2021): After the initial disappointment of losing to Duncanville in the playoffs, Murphy is looking straight ahead, with his eyes solely fixated on Austin. While he enjoyed Mark Hagen and Oscar Giles during his recruitment, he realizes it's a business. He has faith in the Texas faithful to field the best staff and out him and his future teammates in the best position possible. After watching him closely on Saturday night, I think the Horns stole this kid. He's got grown-man strength at 18 years old.

RB Ollie Gordon, Euless Trinity (2022): The guy that went for almost 500 yards in a win over Allen couldn't pull the same magic out of the hat against Southlake Caroll on Saturday. But his 200+ yards, and two touchdowns, including housing a kickoff return were enough to get people's attention. While he's not in the Jaydon Blue/Jamarion Miller tier, he's certainly a tailback worth monitoring over the next few seasons. He's got 13 offers including Iowa State, Hawaii, and UH.

Bear Alexander, Denton Ryan: The 6-foot-3, 325-pound monster on Denton Ryan's stacked defensive squad stood out during the Raiders big win over Highland Park on Friday night. The previous Texas staff stayed in contact, but so did Alabama, LSU, OU, Florida, and Texas A&M. This is a guy I can see Sarkisian prioritizing in 2022, not only from the dearth of defensive line talent, but from his eye-opening first step and punch at the point of attack.

Anthony Hill Jr, Denton Ryan: The 2023 middle linebacker is old school. That 'backer that shoots gaps, doesn't get caught in the wash, and makes plays as a 15-year old on a team full of elite prospects. He holds a Texas verbal invitation and will surely be re-offered by the new staff. His relationship with the Alabama staff might help UT here.

Robert Sweeney, Highland Park (2023): At 6-foot-6, 250 pounds, he’s a looker with a frame that colleges look for in a D1 offensive tackle. His recruitment really just started, and Florida State and Penn State jumped in early. He trains with Texas-Ex Donald Hawkins, who might finally get to meet a Texas coach in 2021.

There’s whiskers newly committed cornerback Darion Dunn, McNeese State transfer, might be looking elsewhere after the coaching change. He only signed a financial aid agreement, which is non-binding. OU is one to watch here.

“...eager to see how Sarkisian’s staff.”

“...faith in the Texas faithful...”

”...out him and his future teammates...”

Just terrible writing—and I don’t think it’s a good idea to out athletes you’re trying to recruit. That’s a personal decision (NTTAWWT).

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Reese Bennett said:

“...eager to see how Sarkisian’s staff.”

“...faith in the Texas faithful...”

”...out him and his future teammates...”

Just terrible writing—and I don’t think it’s a good idea to out athletes you’re trying to recruit. That’s a personal decision (NTTAWWT).

He also called a high school kid, "a sexy consolation," wrote "whiskers" instead of "whispers," and apparently never learned any fundamental rules of grammar.

Edited by MuellerHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

16 minutes ago, ChampionshipLevelPiss said:

I wonder if we will re-engage with Phaizon  Wilson with the new staff coming in. I recall a poster saying here that Bama were after him hard. Him decommitting right after Ewers was pretty lame but if we have Bama's OC (and possibly their WR coach) gotta think that's a possibility.

He would be a great pick up. But, if Smith wins the Heisman and we have on our staff the OC (now HC) and the WR coach that coached him. Guessing we are now in play for any WR recruit in the nation. I would prioritize the WR in Texas first, but I can't see us not at least selling that to national recruits too.

1 hour ago, ChampionshipLevelPiss said:

I wonder if we will re-engage with Phaizon  Wilson with the new staff coming in. I recall a poster saying here that Bama were after him hard. Him decommitting right after Ewers was pretty lame but if we have Bama's OC (and possibly their WR coach) gotta think that's a possibility.

Doubtful. He doesnt have a position, was an mistake letting him commit early IMO

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Doubtful. He doesnt have a position, was an mistake letting him commit early IMO

Disagree. Very much so. 

His lengthy absence from his team this past year are my bigger concern. He absolutely can play WR at the next level - that horseshit about him being a TE was simply that. Horseshit. If his head is on straight I hope Sark gets back in on him. Bama was on him hard when he committed to Texas. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, golfclap said:

Disagree. Very much so. 

His lengthy absence from his team this past year are my bigger concern. He absolutely can play WR at the next level - that horseshit about him being a TE was simply that. Horseshit. If his head is on straight I hope Sark gets back in on him. Bama was on him hard when he committed to Texas. 

You would know better than me

4 minutes ago, The Beast said:

Dumb, never do it again.

Perhaps a bit less Texas branding would've been better, but do you not want them to tout the fact that our incoming head coach (and possibly wr coach) just played a large role in something legitimately impressive?

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, KYHorn said:

Perhaps a bit less Texas branding would've been better, but do you not want them to tout the fact that our incoming head coach (and possibly wr coach) just played a large role in something legitimately impressive?

Yeah, and far from the most egregious of its kind

1 minute ago, ChampionshipLevelPiss said:

I remember one of the 9.95ers saying Hand getting fired would handicap the recruitment of Devon Campbell - hopefully bringing Flood on will prevent that seeing as Flood recruited Campbell at Bama

I don't believe that's correct. One of the TH post-mortems talked about Campbell getting sporadic contact from Hand. Hand was guilty of no consistent communication with prospects, layup guys or otherwise. Either way, dead weight replaced with one of the best in the country is certainly going to improve our recruiting and play.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

I don't believe that's correct. One of the TH post-mortems talked about Campbell getting sporadic contact from Hand. Hand was guilty of no consistent communication with prospects, layup guys or otherwise. Either way, dead weight replaced with one of the best in the country is certainly going to improve our recruiting and play.

"Handicap" probably wasn't the best word, I think IT had said Campbell would commit to the OL coach he had the best relationship with. Obviously bringing in an entirely new coach wouldn't have helped that. But yeah either way Flood is a huge upgrade.

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting