Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

9 minutes ago, Fud said:

How's he feeling about Ewers? 

Same as it ever was. If it is going to happen, it will happen this spring, and it won't surprise folks following it. They basically need to believe that the team isn't packed with a bunch of shit heads that hate football and hate UT, which is what the immediate aftermath of the RRS resembled to them.

• Rage+1 1

Before Herman was fired I believe I said this situation was, IMO, the worst that Texas has faced vs other programs in a very long time, and maybe ever.  I and several other pretty devoted fans were in the verge of just writing Texas football off and claiming our affinity for women’s volleyball and swimming. 

The hiring of Sark and assembly of this staff is about the best thing I could see that Texas could do to shift the momentum. But it definitely isn’t an easy slam dunk. 

Edited by Dbeasy
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

1) Surly's near universal premise that Jimbo is a dumb fucking clown who will just take ATM's money and coast, doing nothing more than pumping out "decent" teams is worth further examination for veracity. Understand that I am not absolving myself as a contributor to how we view the guy now. I'm simply saying we may not be right. ATM will almost certainly fall back to something less than a 90+ winning percentage, sure. However, they're stacked on the front 7, and that ain't changing. The OLC, contrary to our mockery, seems to know what he's doing. They've got quality skill guys. They're going to keep buying players. Barring something like a 7-6 season, I don't see 2021 on the field mattering much for the 2022 class.

He's not the dumb clown I was expecting. Also agree, I don't see their 2021 results mattering much for their 2022 class, it's going to be a good class.

I'm curious how next season goes for them though, how does Jimbo transition to a new QB and replace the OL starters they lose? The defense will be good again but I still think (hope) that Jimbo's offensive style is ultimately going to limit their upside as a program. 

I'm done predicting a FSU style meltdown anytime soon,  it keeps not happening and makes us look dumb. I still have to believe they will aggy this up eventually though and ultimately they don't matter. Their success or lack thereof won't ultimately be determinative of Texas making our way back to the forefront of college football.

2 hours ago, Fud said:

LSU is about to have a lame duck transition class where they only get maybe a couple of Louisiana transplants in Texas 

Their in-state class is loaded though. We'll see how well they can defend the fort 

Hopefully Bama and tOSU raid Louisiana this cycle instead. 

2 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

He's not the dumb clown I was expecting. Also agree, I don't see their 2021 results mattering much for their 2022 class, it's going to be a good class.

I'm curious how next season goes for them though, how does Jimbo transition to a new QB and replace the OL starters they lose? The defense will be good again but I still think (hope) that Jimbo's offensive style is ultimately going to limit their upside as a program. 

I'm done predicting a FSU style meltdown anytime soon,  it keeps not happening and makes us look dumb. I still have to believe they will aggy this up eventually though and ultimately they don't matter. Their success or lack thereof won't ultimately be determinative of Texas making our way back to the forefront of college football.

The FSU meltdown took awhile to happen. He refused to fire his bad assistants, and over time the good ones got hired away, so eventually he was stuck with a relatively poor staff. Pair that with poor roster management for various reasons like taking too many red flag players and too many unbalanced classes, and it finally came to a head. 

If it's going to happen at A&M, it might be a few years own the road. 

19 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

1) Surly's near universal premise that Jimbo is a dumb fucking clown who will just take ATM's money and coast, doing nothing more than pumping out "decent" teams is worth further examination for veracity. Understand that I am not absolving myself as a contributor to how we view the guy now. I'm simply saying we may not be right. ATM will almost certainly fall back to something less than a 90+ winning percentage, sure. However, they're stacked on the front 7, and that ain't changing. The OLC, contrary to our mockery, seems to know what he's doing. They've got quality skill guys. They're going to keep buying players. Barring something like a 7-6 season, I don't see 2021 on the field mattering much for the 2022 class.

I don’t disagree with anything you are saying about A&M’s momentum and dangerous potential moving forward. That said, it does feel like we’ve been here before, in the 2012/2013 range. It’s easy to laugh about in hindsight, but they were riding high off the new car smell of the SEC, a Manziel Heisman, a Top 5 finish coupled with kicking the shit out of OU, back to back top 10 recruiting classes, and Sumlin being talked about as one of the best young head coaches in football. Meanwhile, we are firing late-stage Mack and hiring a coach that would give us our worst three year stretch in program history.

Maybe things work out differently this time with LSU and Auburn in a free fall, and maybe they get lucky and Saban retires next year. Or maybe Elko finally gets a head coaching gig and Jimbo’s offense takes a step back without Mond. We’ll see.

1 minute ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

I don’t disagree with anything you are saying about A&M’s momentum and dangerous potential moving forward. That said, it does feel like we’ve been here before, in the 2012/2013 range. It’s easy to laugh about in hindsight, but they were riding high off the new car smell of the SEC, a Manziel Heisman, a Top 5 finish coupled with kicking the shit out of OU, back to back top 10 recruiting classes, and Sumlin being talked about as one of the best young head coaches in football. Meanwhile, we are firing late-stage Mack and hiring a coach that would give us our worst three year stretch in program history.

Maybe things work out differently this time with LSU and Auburn in a free fall, and maybe they get lucky and Saban retires next year. Or maybe Elko finally gets a head coaching gig and Jimbo’s offense takes a step back without Mond. We’ll see.

Completely agree it feels like deja vu, but we need to actively get good this time, beyond just hoping the aggy-ness and their HC's failings do the job for us.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

That wave crested with the Kenny Trill beatdown of South Carolina the first game of whatever season that was. All downhill from there.

Jimbo's failures at FSU revolved around keeping some terrible coaches and some shittastic evals on top of them - specifically shitty cubes at OL. Enter Henson. 

Henson was the hire that everyone wanted Joe Wickline to be here at Texas. Henson has stood his ground and advocated for leaner/quicker OL takes over Jimbo's preference for cubes so their pipeline now has good talent in it and he's proven to be an excellent teacher/developer. Henson getting Zuhn and Wykoff over previous takes like Chibuzo is night and day. If The Marine was still in place Jimbo's aggy teams would look A LOT like his FSU teams but Henson addresses his 2nd biggest blindspot/weakness. Jimbo's biggest weakness persists in the taking of inaccurate dual threat QBs that he tries to shoehorn into his shitty ass offense. Guys like Calzada, King, and Stowers. The doomsday scenario at play is aggy locking up Klubnik but even if they did it's a rough road until he makes it to Lit Station at the QB spot. 

Just now, BurntOrange&White said:

I think a top 10-12 recruiting class for Sark's first class would be a win. I think if things go right we have the potential to end up around 7 or so

Outside of the top ten with the new coach bump even with all the other optics would be massively disappointing. Hell this year if we close with everyone (doubtful)we will finish 15ish...that would not be a win in my eyes, regardless of whats going on on the recruiting landscape.  Especially with this staff and with us matching bags. Anything less than 7 would be disappointing 

• Hook 'Em 4

6 minutes ago, Fud said:

I wouldn't call 10-12 a win 

First year recruiting class 10-12 is a win. The 2023 class will be the class to watch with this staff and get a true read on what they bring to the table recruiting wise. Being realistic about the task is what it is....

There is so much unknown right now with the 2022 class and how this staff is going to attack it and what the response will be to the new staff from the recruits. 

A top 10-12 with a peak around fringe top 5 at 6 or 7 would be a good start to a staff's tenure here.

Edited by BurntOrange&White

2 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Outside of the top ten with the new coach bump even with all the other optics would be massively disappointing. Hell this year if we close with everyone (doubtful)we will finish 15ish...that would not be a win in my eyes, regardless of whats going on on the recruiting landscape.  Especially with this staff and with us matching bags. Anything less than 7 would be disappointing 

tenor.gif?itemid=9544294

12 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I think a top 10-12 recruiting class for Sark's first class would be a win. I think if things go right we have the potential to end up around 7 or so

7 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

First year recruiting class 10-12 is not a win. The 2023 class will be the class to watch with this staff and get a true read on what they bring to the table recruiting wise. Being realistic about the task is what it is....

There is so much unknown right now with the 2022 class and how this staff is going to attack it and what the response will be to the new staff from the recruits. 

A top 10-12 with a peak around fringe top 5 at 6 or 7 would be a good start to a staff's tenure here.

That's impressive flip flopping and outright denial, even by Surly standards. A complete reversal of a post you made a mere 6 minutes prior. Shit, you contradict yourself in the first and last sentences. Can you explain to me how exactly one has a top 10-12 class with fringe top 5 class, or what the fuck that even means? 

Unless you want to claim that his first full class would be 2023, which suggest that maybe math is something with which you struggle?

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

That's impressive flip flopping and outright denial, even by Surly standards. A complete reversal of a post you made a mere 6 minutes prior. 

Unless you want to claim that his first full class would be 2023, which suggest that maybe math is something with which you struggle?

Shit was reading RGB's post while I was typing and typed the not.

9 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

First year recruiting class 10-12 is a win.

Not at Texas. I mean, that's what it's going to be but it's not a win. 

10 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

The 2023 class will be the class to watch with this staff

I expect several members of this staff will be gone by 2023 but no matter the staff, the expectation should be a top 3 class in 2023. Period. 

58 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I just rambled on above this post to answer your questions, but like I said, I'm not pessimistic. I just think, as far as the recruiting board on Surly goes for all of us, we should clue in to the reality of this 2022 class. It's going to be a motherfucker, for all of the reasons I've cited. I went down a list with a friend that knows this shit today and I don't even want to post all of the horrific shit that dude was raining down on me. I've touched on some of it, but I don't want you guys to commit mass seppuku. Maybe I'll post some Holocaust photos or something and liven things up around here.

Just remember that Texas hasn't even finished assembling its staff and won't have its first true recruiting meeting until next week. ATM isn't stupid, has jumped on that in an effort to force the hands of a bunch of leans, including having the ones that play the game take positions that will obligate both sides in a MAD way, therefore cutting Texas off from key targets almost all in one fell swoop ahead of the program having a chance to even get organized. That doesn't mean anything other than the optimism for this class is free, but the hustle is going to be sold separately. Texas is in for a slog. It should be fun to watch, and like I said, it will also be irritating but I expect it to finish as a top 7-10 class due to staff quality (and a manageable schedule).

I for one would love to hear the gory details. This world fascinates and disgusts me at the same time. Your comment about obligating both sides is interesting in particular - does playing the game at a certain level basically make it so you can't change your mind no matter what? I would expect the big bags to drop on signing, but idk shit. And neither side can ever really rat the other out because it'd implicate themselves, right?

But yeah, smart by Aggy to attack hard while we're "reloading." 

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

including having the ones that play the game take positions that will obligate both sides in a MAD way, therefore cutting Texas off from key targets almost all in one fell swoop

I'm dense. Are they paying the players to publicly bash Texas so they're obligated to stay away from Texas in the future? Is "MAD way" some reference I'm missing? 

21 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

First year recruiting class 10-12 is a win. The 2023 class will be the class to watch with this staff and get a true read on what they bring to the table recruiting wise. Being realistic about the task is what it is....

Even as someone who has multiple posts today explaining the difficulties of the recruiting landscape for 2022, this is way off. 10-12 would not be a win at all, especially since we're going to be taking a large class.  10-12 would be a definite loss. 

• Hook 'Em 3

21 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

In the last 20 classes 2002-2021, the only times we’ve finished outside of the top 10 have been either transition classes or classes where we took 15 or less kids.

’21 is Sarks transition class. Being outside the top 10 in ‘22 is in no way a win.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Lonestar88 said:

In the last 20 classes 2002-2021, the only times we’ve finished outside of the top 10 have been either transition classes or classes where we took 15 or less kids.

’21 is Sarks transition class. Being outside the top 10 in ‘22 is in no way a win.

21 is not Sark's transition class, the recruiting landscape with the early signing day changed that.

• Fuck You 1

6 minutes ago, KYHorn said:

I'm dense. Are they paying the players to publicly bash Texas so they're obligated to stay away from Texas in the future? Is "MAD way" some reference I'm missing? 

Not much into game theory strategy or examining classic issues during the Cold War that kept us out of drifting into WW3, I see. Let's go, Kentucky. Get your shit together.

9 minutes ago, KYHorn said:

Someone wasn't a poli sci/history major. Mutually Assured Destruction.

Edited by texifornia

8 minutes ago, KYHorn said:

May be that's a reference to what that TE prospect out of Dickinson wrote about TE scheme and use in Sark's O.  Donovan Green. I think he was a lean to A&M in any case and would appear to not be a big loss for UT. Neither is the OT that committed as well from the same school today.

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

This is absolutely fucking stupid. Like flat out MarkStanco, 6th street level magical thinking stupidity. It's his fucking transition class. Do you know how I know that? Because it's the class that was mostly formed before he took the job at Texas, and the class immediately following it (2022 in case you can't tell) is a class with which he has a full year to recruit all of the members of his class.

This is the dumbest thing you've said all day, and you've said a lot of stupid shit today. You should be fucking embarrassed and feel bad about yourself. Maybe you should consider going back  to the football board full time. 

explain to me how a coach that didn't recruit any of signed players or have a chance to cut ties with some and bring in others is a true transition class?

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

21 is not Sark's transition class, the recruiting landscape with the early signing day changed that.

What? He’s going to coach an entire off season and then an entire season before the 22 class signs, under no definition is ‘22 his transition class. 

‘21 is still his transition class, ESD doesn’t change that.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Not much into game theory strategy or examining classic issues during the Cold War that kept us out of drifting into WW3, I see. Let's go, Kentucky. Get your shit together.

how is mutually assured destruction (the "MAD" in Cold War reference) related to college recruiting? I don't get it either. Then again, I'm an Aggie. :D

Are there recruits gunning for UT, and are there UT coaches gunning for some recruits?

• Fuck You 1

explain to me how a coach that didn't recruit any of signed players or have a chance to cut ties with some and bring in others is a true transition class?

It's the one where all the recruits (except maybe Coffey for some reason) knew the original coach was getting shitcanned and Sark had to pick up the pieces. He's got a whole year for '22.

• Hook 'Em 1

What you just posted is literally the definition of WHY it's a fucking transition class. Do you need to have someone paste the definition of Transition for you so you can maybe understand?

• Like 1

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting