Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

4 minutes ago, PHLaggie said:

how is mutually assured destruction (the "MAD" in Cold War reference) related to college recruiting? I don't get it either. Then again, I'm an Aggie. :D

Are there recruits gunning for UT, and are there UT coaches gunning for some recruits?

They could each easily out the other for breaking the rules and fuck each other over, like Leo Lewis did to the Mississippi schools.

Edited by texifornia
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, PHLaggie said:

how is mutually assured destruction (the "MAD" in Cold War reference) related to college recruiting? I don't get it either. Then again, I'm an Aggie. :D

Are there recruits gunning for UT, and are there UT coaches gunning for some recruits?

If I pay you money for a service, and you accept money for that service, we should both reasonably expect you to deliver on that service. Should you not, or if I don't pay you when you do, we have a problem. Now imagine if that shit is a black market service. Failure to comply on either side becomes a nuclear issue for both of us. There is a basic reason why most modern cheating in CFB never gets exposed - it's bad business for everyone involved.

The shit at places like Tennessee or Ole Miss is different. At Ole Miss, they went too far outside of their acceptable range of performance. At Tenn, they were fucking profligate and obvious and made themselves an easy target. They may well pull Georgia into the muck for the same reason.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

If I pay you money for a service, and you accept money for that service, we should both reasonably expect you to deliver on that service. Should you not, or if I don't pay you when you do, we have a problem. Now imagine if that shit is a black market service. Failure to comply on either side becomes a nuclear issue for both of us. There is a basic reason why most modern cheating in CFB never gets exposed - it's bad business for everyone involved.

The shit at places like Tennessee or Ole Miss is different. At Ole Miss, they went too far outside of their acceptable range of performance. At Tenn, they were fucking profligate and obvious and made themselves an easy target. They may well pull Georgia into the muck for the same reason.

ok, i totally misunderstood the premise.

so are you expecting recruiting violations smoke to rise out of College Station soon? Or not-- because of MAD?

Edited by PHLaggie
  • Fuck You 1

10 minutes ago, PHLaggie said:

ok, i totally misunderstood the premise.

so are you expecting recruiting violations smoke to rise out of College Station soon? Or not-- because of MAD?

he's saying that once the school and the recruit reach a certain point on the bag man stuff, they reach a point of no return where failure to stick to the deal would be catastrophic for both sides.  They are locked in because the school doesn't want sanctions and the player doesn't want to be ineligible and lose their shot at the NFL.  It is the Mutual in Mutual Assured Destruction.  So CTJ is not saying he expect recruiting violations out of College Station.  He IS saying that A&M is making moves to get into a mutually assured destruction place with numerous recruits - in essence locking them out of UT's class by making it impossible for a flip.  These recruit would, in effect, become immune to UT recruiting efforts.  It is a savvy move on A&M's part, as UT's operation has not had a chance to get up and running.  If you can take several high value kids out of action, now is the best time to do it.  UT is no doubt trying to convince the kids it is in their best interest to wait - competition for your services is a good thing - while A&M is saying now is the best the deal will ever get and if you don't jump in now you will never recoup. 

• Hook 'Em 8

18 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

When I first read it, I was hoping you were saying UT was going to enter into MAD with A&M, and I got excited. This explanation is much less gruntling.

23 minutes ago, Machinator said:

The significance of the call is simply this, Tom Herman nor Herb Hand ever reached out to Hawkins, a former UT tackle that works with young OL's.

This seems impossible to believe. Neither one of those dipshits ever reached out to the former UT player that was training the Brocks as well as other Texas prospects? What in the MENSA fucking shit is that?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, someguy said:

These recruit would, in effect, become immune to UT recruiting efforts.  It is a savvy move on A&M's part, as UT's operation has not had a chance to get up and running.  If you can take several high value kids out of action, now is the best time to do it.  UT is no doubt trying to convince the kids it is in their best interest to wait - competition for your services is a good thing - while A&M is saying now is the best the deal will ever get and if you don't jump in now you will never recoup. 

The problems begin when someone, say someone like Eric Dickerson, puts his balls on the table and calls your bluff.

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 6

1 minute ago, Tex Pete said:

The problems begin when someone, say someone like Eric Dickerson, puts his balls on the table and calls your bluff.

spacer.png

I agree, and it remains to be seen what effect the Name, Image, and Likeness rules will have on school leverage, as players will be able to be paid in the open now.  I suspect the desirability to enter into arrangements where schools have coercive power over you will wane if you could just go the NIL route.

But I have no idea.  I'm just some guy, and an idiot at that.

• Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, someguy said:

I agree, and it remains to be seen what effect the Name, Image, and Likeness rules will have on school leverage, as players will be able to be paid in the open now.  I suspect the desirability to enter into arrangements where schools have coercive power over you will wane if you could just go the NIL route.

But I have no idea.  I'm just some guy, and an idiot at that.

username checks out.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

5 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

This is Charlie level negligence 

In this case it wasn't negligence, it was arrogance. Tom Herman's problems begin and end between his ears.

I'd bet money he is still muttering "I'll show them!"

Edited by Tex Pete
  • Hook 'Em 6

41 minutes ago, FunkSoulBrother said:

So given that the staff has been finalized yet and recruiting meetings don’t start till next week, is it too early to get an idea of which and how many recruits we expect to land for 2022? Thanks. 

Good rule of thumb is to start with 

tenor.gif?itemid=14317847

And then work your way back

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I think a top 10-12 recruiting class for Sark's first class would be a win. I think if things go right we have the potential to end up around 7 or so

That's some LDE right there. I am about 99.98 percent positive we'll have a top 5 class in 22. Hell, didn't dumb fuck Herman have a top 3 class his first full class? If he and his band of misfit coaches can do that, then I'm pretty fucking sure that Sark and his team of fucking closers can too! Pass me that burnt orange kool-aid! We're getting ERRRRRBODY! Hook'em, bitches! 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Tex-19 said:

I will say I'm a little surprised at the Aggy momentum and seeming lack of new coach bump for us so far. But it's early. We shall see. Aggy has a good chance of a major step back on the field this year too losing Mond, 4/5 OL, and a few key people from their front 7, their strength on D.

A&M's losing all those people to the NFL. If anything it strengthens their pitch - after April they'll be able to sell both pro prospects and an easier path to playing time.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, someguy said:

he's saying that once the school and the recruit reach a certain point on the bag man stuff, they reach a point of no return where failure to stick to the deal would be catastrophic for both sides.  They are locked in because the school doesn't want sanctions and the player doesn't want to be ineligible and lose their shot at the NFL.  It is the Mutual in Mutual Assured Destruction.  So CTJ is not saying he expect recruiting violations out of College Station.  He IS saying that A&M is making moves to get into a mutually assured destruction place with numerous recruits - in essence locking them out of UT's class by making it impossible for a flip.  These recruit would, in effect, become immune to UT recruiting efforts.  It is a savvy move on A&M's part, as UT's operation has not had a chance to get up and running.  If you can take several high value kids out of action, now is the best time to do it.  UT is no doubt trying to convince the kids it is in their best interest to wait - competition for your services is a good thing - while A&M is saying now is the best the deal will ever get and if you don't jump in now you will never recoup. 

I mean, if (haha "if"... as if there is any doubt anymore) bags of cash are being exchanged then that's not anything new, right? But this would affect, say, high 3-stars and low 4-stars.

The top flight talent can afford to wait and pick their school; plus, not immediately signing up with one school or another means that you start to become a scarcer commodity even as other recruits of same/similar caliber start to settle up with whichever school.  just see the situation with LJ... he almost has a super premium tag now because he is practically the only blue chip at his position yet to decide.

The two commits to A&M today were honestly not a big deal one way or another for UT's class; your future is still lined with studs that are UT leans and/or can be convinced to sign with Sark based on his scheme, Austin, the whole package.

A&M's being relevant (even if for just a moment) probably impacts recruiting at out of state schools targeting Texas talent. UT can and will land more than enough numbers and quality, especially with the coaching regime change vibe but even without it.

Guess I'm still thinking in terms of Occam's Razor with regard to recent recruiting updates.

• Fuck You 1

23 minutes ago, someguy said:

I get the MAD concept but I still don't understand why it locks someone into a commitment. I guess it's a game of chicken but I would think the MAD just guarantees neither side will turn in the other no matter what. Ex: if a guy takes his bags then flips, what the heck is Pruitt gonna do about it? Turn himself in?

If anything, the school seems more at risk because sanctions could still arise years later while the NFL dgaf for the player

Just now, Tex-19 said:

I get the MAD concept but I still don't understand why it locks someone into a commitment. I guess it's a game of chicken but I would think the MAD just guarantees neither side will turn in the other no matter what. Ex: if a guy takes his bags then flips, what the heck is Pruitt gonna do about it? Turn himself in?

If anything, the school seems more at risk because sanctions could still arise years later while the NFL dgaf for the player

A lot of times, this shit is worked through the street agent world. They organize it and make it work. It's not a one-time thing. If they burn the school, that's a long term problem for their business.

• Hook 'Em 2

Texas has assembled the fifth most talent in NCAA Football:

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/Most-talented-college-football-teams-2020-season-247Sports-Team-Talent-Composite-152889228/#152889228_1

there is enough talent here to win the conference in 2021, and if these coaches are what we think they are, they will coach up, develop, and put into position, this talent to play up to their ability. We have proven wizards running the offense and defense (if you haven't watched all 40 minutes of Sarks Coaches Clinic, then you don't know what you are missing). We will have a schematic advantage over everyone, maybe equal to Riley on offense, but you can bet we will against Grinch. The 2022 guys can't sign until December, there will be a lot of football played before they sign. Now is the talent spread across the roster equally? No. But the areas that are at most concerning are OL, DE and LB. We have incredible talent, but are thin or young at LB and DE. We have possibly the best OL coach, currently, in the business. If Sark were to possibly make the CFP in his first year, our 2022 class will vie for a top 2-3 class, with most of that talent from Texas at the aggy's expense.

CHIEF

Edited by CHIEF
  • Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

Shit! Isn't Dicker going to graduate assuming he doesn't stick around for an extra year? Using a scholarship on a kicker would make it hard to land the top class.

If the scholarship is used on a kicker as good as Tucker it would be a win. Yeah, I know, but still.

23 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

Shit! Isn't Dicker going to graduate assuming he doesn't stick around for an extra year? Using a scholarship on a kicker would make it hard to land the top class.

If he kicks really well next year he will probably be gone.  If he kicks like he did this year he will probably be back. 

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting