Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

Fong: Kyion Graves wants to make sure his Texas offer is still good

Spoiler

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. - One of the top performers during pool play of the Battle Miami 7-on-7 tournament was Kyion Grayes who put on a bit of a show for the Tucson Turf team out of Arizona. The Chandler High standout is as smooth as they come at the receiver position, a superb route runner that easily creates separation, he has terrific hands, and also showed he can win the 1-on-1 jump ball in this setting too.

Recently selected to play in the All-American Bowl, the 6-foot-1, 170-pound Grayes is a stock-up prospect the next time we update our Top247 Player Rankings and a handful of schools are pushing hard to land the 247Sports Composite four-star pass catcher.

“I feel like Oregon and Ohio State and Penn State I’d say,” Grayes said on Saturday. “I want to make sure my Texas offer is still good so I’ll talk to them and see what they’re doing. So mainly those schools. Can’t forget about (Arizona), U of A with their new staff and they’ve came back and showed me a lot of the love. Those are the main schools doing the best I can say.”

Grayes is looking forward to taking visits once the NCAA Dead Period is lifted in April.

“I want to go to Ohio State and Oregon and where else I can go, but those two I have to go too.”

The 247Sports Crystal Ball is favoring the Buckeyes at this point in the process.

“I love, I love Ohio State, like love them,” Grayes emphasized. “I love Coach (Brian) Hartline. I love Coach (Ryan) Day. I talk to them daily. I know they were in the National Championship game and I know right after vacation they’re going to come hard. I love their coaches. I love their offense. I love watching my twin play, Chris Olave. I can’t forget Buckeye Nation. I love their fans, I love their people there. They welcomed me in and I wasn’t even committed yet. I love the fans, the people, the atmosphere, it’s great.”

Don’t count out the two-time defending Pac 12 champs Oregon.

“Coach (Bryan) McClendon, how much they stay in contact with me, how much they talk to me. I’ve been in multiple Zoom calls with Coach McClendon and their assistant receiver coach, all of them. The amount they talk to me and my parents and they want to meet us and get us out there, it’s great. The fact they want me to come in there and play as a freshman and get to work because they didn’t pick up too many receivers in the 2020 class. I like how they use their receivers speed wise. When they find their guy they go to him, kind of like the spread. I just love everything.”

New Arizona head coach Jedd Fisch told 247Sports this past week they have to keep the top players in-state. Since he was hired on Dec. 23 they’ve been coming for Grayes.

“I just love the fact they’re trying to come in and have a new feel to it and make it a NFL look,” Grayes said. “It’s just something new. It’s just kind of like that NFL type of feel. All the new staff and where they came from.”

Penn State has created intrigue in their school as well.

“I was just on a Zoom call with their new coach, Coach (Mike) Yurcich, it was great. Coach (Taylor) Stubbs (Stubblefield) was on there. Just talking getting to know him, talking Penn State it was a great experience seeing what they’re going to do.”

Grayes is hoping Texas is going to push for him.

“If the offer is still good I’ll look into it,” he said before adding what he’s looking for in a school.

“I want somewhere that’s going to develop me, somewhere that’s going to give me a great education, that’s always No. 1 and somewhere that’s going to make me a better player and make me compete on and off the field.”

https://247sports.com/Player/Kyion-Grayes-46056370/

Separate Fong comment: "We think this kid is a big-time prospect and will rise based on his junior season and our live eval in the camp setting."

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, RandomIdoit said:

I missed who is covering San Antonio to the Valley. 😂

Same guy who recruited Johnny Walker, the Cash brothers, Tommy Nobis, Priest Holmes, Wane McGarity, Josh Reynolds, DeMarvin Leal, etc

The list isn’t long but it’s got its bright spots 

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, Zhorn96 said:

I suppose "Cen-Tex" could cover SA and everyone knows there isnt a single D1 player south of that EVER

Yes and no. Garza, not recalling his first name, was from a 3A valley school, didn't play D1 but he did play in the NFL for something like 10 years. Played for the bears and falcons if I remember correctly. Retired a few years ago. Guy was born in Mexico, moved to the valley and made a decent living in the NFL. Cinderella story. Lol

5 minutes ago, CfRhTxStBobcats said:

Yes and no. Garza, not recalling his first name, was from a 3A valley school, didn't play D1 but he did play in the NFL for something like 10 years. Played for the bears and falcons if I remember correctly. Retired a few years ago. Guy was born in Mexico, moved to the valley and made a decent living in the NFL. Cinderella story. Lol. 

Roberto Garza, OL. Retired in 2014.

1 minute ago, Spider2YBanana said:

But but but we're behind on recruiting in '22. No we're not. We're going OOS for a lot, and then getting who we can in state. We'll be fine. We have great coaches and elite recruiters. Kids we never would have gotten on campus before will be on the team. Guys like Bijan's ilk. 

Stop infecting this board with your foolishness. We are behind in recruiting. Doesn’t mean we can’t catch up, but we are behind and teams like A&M and OU absolutely have leads on us in important recruitments. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Burt Macklin said:

Stop infecting this board with your foolishness. We are behind in recruiting. Doesn’t mean we can’t catch up, but we are behind and teams like A&M and OU absolutely have leads on us in important recruitments. 

Yeah, I'm sure these elite coaches haven't made relationships with these same recruits. You think something has changed just because they went from Bama to Texas? What, exactly, has changed? Other than jobs? Where are we behind? It's fucking January. 

48 minutes ago, Zhorn96 said:

I suppose "Cen-Tex" could cover SA and everyone knows there isnt a single D1 player south of that EVER

Jordan Whitington down in Cuero would like a word.  If not far south enough, the Detmer brothers did ok with their Heisman, National championship and other records.  Steve Mongo McMichael would agree but his pro bowl and Super bowl rings can't let him.   And last but not least one of our own posters Willie Mack Garza i think was pretty ok.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

Jordan Whitington down in Cuero would like a word.  If not far south enough, the Detmer brothers did ok with their Heisman, National championship and other records.  Steve Mongo McMichael would agree but his pro bowl and Super bowl rings can't let him.   And last but not least one of our own posters Willie Mack Garza i think was pretty ok.

the all caps was meant to convey sarcasm...  That said, a decent player every 5-10 years isnt a great return on your recruiting focus

¿¿Me hablaste/llamaste??
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 1/22/2021 at 3:12 PM, HtownHorn said:

The big difference is Jimbo isn't a raging alcoholic like Sumlin was/is. Now he's going to have trouble getting WRs to play in his offense, because he likes to feature the RBs and TEs. 61% of Mond's completions went to those 2 positions. It will be interesting to see if Demas sticks around, because he's likely not seeing the field much next year either playing behind Lane, Jones, Preston, and Smith.

Wright could only make it one season before he said fuck it, I'm out.

Comparison to the 2020 Bama Offense on who catches passes:

WR: 71%

TE: 13%

RB: 16%

RB+TE Total = 29%

Mm5miisN

Donald Glover Reaction GIF

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Whats the word on Caleb Burton? is he all tOSU or does he have any longhorn ties? Gotta think a full court press on him is necessary, I saw Sark like some of his tweets so we know hes a priority target.

Had his mind set on going OOS from the jump. I guess something could change, but we've got lower degree of difficulty elites out there at WR.

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

Had his mind set on going OOS from the jump. I guess something could change, but we've got lower degree of difficulty elites out there at WR.

yeah but judging by the offers that have gone out already, we are gonna have a national recruiting strategy, im pretty sure the new staff has offered more OOS guys than in. state so far for 2022

1 minute ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

yeah but judging by the offers that have gone out already, we are gonna have a national recruiting strategy, im pretty sure the new staff has offered more OOS guys than in. state so far for 2022

Right, some of whom might be an easier pull than a guy from Del Valle who has never shown any interest in going to college close to home.

14 minutes ago, RaysBoomBoomRoom said:

Whats the word on Caleb Burton? is he all tOSU or does he have any longhorn ties? Gotta think a full court press on him is necessary, I saw Sark like some of his tweets so we know hes a priority target.

Don't even get your lube and tissues out for this one until after Ewers flips back to Texas. And that's a big fucking If as it stands. 

3 minutes ago, Machinator said:

We re-offered Bobby Taylor this morning, per Gerry.

db402f0ec17965f10ce006cf95b5d63a.gif

Oh, well, this will change everything in that recruitment, then.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

IT

Spoiler

PERSONNEL

If Texas paying Jeff Banks north of $1 million didn’t underline the commitment to landing recruits, the pending investment in the personnel department should. We’re expecting an influx in the department of people with strong ties to the state. We were given no names but it sounds like the budget has been increased quite a bit.

Drew Hughes was a strong hire but he’s flying a bit blind as he gets familiar with his new environs. He’ll have plenty of help. Not only did Sarkisian decide to keep Bryan Carrington, Jake Langi, and Brandon Harris, but it sounds like some new names will be added.

If you’ve worked for Nick Saban and Pete Carroll you understand the importance of talent acquisition.

RECRUITING MATTERS

S BJ Allen, Aledo (Aledo, TX) - 2022: One of the state’s top prospects is enjoying his return to the free market. After de-committing from LSU, Allen is a popular dude.

“I’ve probably said this before but just to be offered by the University of Texas, being from Texas, is a huge honor,” said Allen. “And they just let me know that I was a top priority.”

That’s exactly what Allen wanted to hear from safety coach Blake Gideon. He’s getting the hard sell from others as well.

“Auburn, Florida State, OU, Alabama, Georgia Tech, and Jackson State really like me,” Allen said.

With Allen looking elsewhere, he’s getting a better idea of what he wants at the next level.

“I’m looking for stability in a program,” said Allen. “A place to grow for 3-4 years. I want to major in business and minor in art.”

LB Kip Lewis, Carthage (Carthage, TX) - 2022: Make no mistake, Carthage doesn’t just produce state championships, but also UT caliber football players as evidenced by the Texas roster the last three years.

After UT’s Drew Hughes initially reached out to Kip Lewis, Blake Gideon made the call. “We mainly just talked football,” said Lewis. “I was excited to be on the phone with him.”

Gideon wanted to make sure Lewis knew he was a priority and that Texas will pursue the rising linebacker.

After OU, LSU, and Texas A&M offered, Lewis' recruiting snowball was rolling.

Lewis is eager to visit campuses and hopes the recruiting dead period is opened soon after the NCAA’s last mandate of April 15th. Until then, the new staff will continue building the relationship while getting the lay of the land.

WR Chris Marshall, Fort Bend Marshall (Missouri City, TX) - 2022: He’s a three-star ranked in the 40-60 range in-state but expect a big correction starting with IT’s rankings this week. The 6-foot-3, 195-pounder is considered a strong A&M lean and that’s fair at this point, but his recruitment is just beginning.

IT caught up with a source close to the dual-sport athlete. Here are some choice quotes:

On Marshall exploding on the scene as a junior: “USC was one of his first offers. (USC WR coach) Keary Colbert said he couldn’t believe how good his ball skills and hands were considering he (Marshall) hasn’t played football since little league.”

On A&M’s lead: “They do have the inside track thanks to (Devon) Achane. Achane is the one who talked Chris into playing. The guys would go mess around and play 7-on-7 and Achane would tell him he needs to put the pads on. We saw his size and had been telling him the same for a while and he finally came out. We knew he was athletic but we didn’t know he this natural.”

Marshall’s timeline: “With everything going on he hasn’t been able to have the real experience yet. It’s one thing to talk to coaches on FaceTime but they need to go see schools and meet coaches in person. Hopefully in April these kids can start making visits to get better informed.”

Did the hiring of Sarkisian get his attention?: "[Derisive laughter] Yeaaah, it caught everybody’s attention. What he did at Bama speaks for itself.”

More on Texas: “I’m a Houstonian and I remember when Mack Brown got to Texas. He recruited Houston hard. We haven’t really seen that much of late. Strong didn’t really recruit Houston. Herman did a little. You’re at Texas, you should recruit Houston and Dallas well every year. I’m curious to see who gets this area.”

There are a lot of options at receiver in the state in 2022, but the better options than Marshall are few and far between.

OL Kam Dewberry, Atascocita (Humble, TX) - 2022: The latest quality offensive lineman from a quality program, the services are split on Dewberry like few prospects before him. He’s either an elite tackle or a future guard depending on who you ask. We have him at guard but we like him there. He has a very high floor at the position.

After catching up with someone close to Dewberry’s recruitment, here are the particulars:

— Jeff Banks was Dewberry’s lead recruiter for Alabama, though Dewberry has also talked with Kyle Flood. Dewberry and his family were able to visit Alabama before Covid ruined that calendar year. The family did not meet Sarkisian on that visit but all involved think it’s a big hire.

— The competitive regional landscape was a topic of discussion, not just with the teams but offensive line coaches. You have Bill Bedenbaugh at OU, Josh Henson at A&M, James Cregg at LSU, and finally joining the mix, Texas with Kyle Flood. The source intimated people were taking OU‘s chances too lightly. Bedenbaugh is held in very high regard.

— The assumption Dewberry will end up at A&M is overblown per the source. Dewberry will cut his list to 3-5 schools around the time he turns 17-years old, sometime in April. The family wants to take some visits. Ohio State was canceled as the pandemic took hold and they’ll reschedule that visit when they can.

— Dewberry grew up liking UT and he likes the hires that were made. Having 2021 signee Derrick Harris already on campus will be a positive for Texas. It’s not something that will be a deciding factor, but when listing pros and cons, having his childhood friend (since Dewberry was four-years old) at UT is a plus. The families are really close.

— Dewberry has spent time working out with both former Longhorn offensive tackle Sam Cosmi and A&M offensive lineman Kenyon Green. The three have Atascosita High School in common. Dewberry picks their brains but there’s sentiment that “Kameron is his own person and he might choose to make his own path at a different school.”

The takeaway with this one is, Dewberry is way more open than people are thinking.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NoName said:

Comparison to the 2020 Bama Offense on who catches passes:

WR: 71%

TE: 13%

RB: 16%

RB+TE Total = 29%

Mm5miisN

Donald Glover Reaction GIF

That’s good stuff. I took a quick look at UW in 2013 when Sefarian-Jenkins was a Sophomore and Bishop Sankey at RB and back of the napkin math says it was TE/HB: 19%, RB: 10%, WR: 71%. So even when he has a stud TE and a really good RB, he mainly throws to the WRs. 

I don’t think there’s any doubt Jimbo’s offense is better for TEs while our offense is better for WRs. Both offenses are extremely good offenses for RBs. Sark has had a 1,000 yard rusher everywhere he’s been since he started as HC at UW. 

• Hook 'Em 1

57 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

That’s good stuff. I took a quick look at UW in 2013 when Sefarian-Jenkins was a Sophomore and Bishop Sankey at RB and back of the napkin math says it was TE/HB: 19%, RB: 10%, WR: 71%. So even when he has a stud TE and a really good RB, he mainly throws to the WRs. 

I don’t think there’s any doubt Jimbo’s offense is better for TEs while our offense is better for WRs. Both offenses are extremely good offenses for RBs. Sark has had a 1,000 yard rusher everywhere he’s been since he started as HC at UW. 

those are the kind of numbers i would be hammering WR head to head recruits with every. single. day.

Demas had his issues but he was a 5* who only got snaps in 4 games and had zero catches.

Imagine being a 5* WR and saying "yeah, i think that the Fisher offense is what will help me get to the League!"

FFS, at Texas last year, Kai Money had 10 catches, Roschon Johnson had 8. Malcolm Epps had 3. CADE BREWER had 15.

If you really want to be made, Cade Brewer had 15 catches and Jared Wiley had 9.

1 minute ago, NoName said:

those are the kind of numbers i would be hammering WR head to head recruits with every. single. day.

Demas had his issues but he was a 5* who only got snaps in 4 games and had zero catches.

Imagine being a 5* WR and saying "yeah, i think that the Fisher offense is what will help me get to the League!"

FFS, at Texas last year, Kai Money had 10 catches, Roschon Johnson had 8. Malcolm Epps had 3. CADE BREWER had 15.

If you really want to be made, Cade Brewer had 15 catches and Jared Wiley had 9.

Seems like the only WR we're seriously going head-to-head with them for this year is Marshall, who's Achane's high school buddy.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, NoName said:

I did a quick glance the other day, so I could be wrong, but it looked like Devonta Smith had more receiving TDs this year than the entire A&M roster.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

I did a quick glance the other day, so I could be wrong, but it looked like Devonta Smith had more receiving TDs this year than the entire A&M roster.

That's not hard to imagine. Kellen Mond passes are often about as accurate as those old Godzilla toys were shooting their fists.

spacer.png

4 minutes ago, golfclap said:

I'm amped to see how that recruitment plays out. His dad played basketball at Bama and he played at Mater Dei with Bryce Young, but they love Sark's offense and Sark's kid currently plays with Williams at Mater Dei.

Gerry seems pretty low on him, fwiw, at least compared to the more speedier/better separating options both in-state and elsewhere 

Edited by Fud

3 minutes ago, golfclap said:

I'm amped to see how that recruitment plays out. His dad played basketball at Bama and he played at Mater Dei with Bryce Young, but they love Sark's offense and Sark's kid currently plays with Williams at Mater Dei.

For some reason Gerry Hamilton has been shitting on him quite a bit. Says he lacks explosion

2 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

For some reason Gerry Hamilton has been shitting on him quite a bit. Says he lacks explosion

Alabama just put up a lot of points the past two seasons largely on the backs of five or six WRs who could all really get easy separation and run after the catch

Edited by Fud

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting