Roach

Mike at Night: More on Stewart, team workouts

VIP

My Boards

Back To Topics

MikeRoach

Posted on 29 secs, V I P, , User Post Count: 0

29 secsVIP

— Earlier in the evening I put a 247Sports Crystal Ball pick in for four-star wide receiver Evan Stewart. The timing made no sense to me because Evan recently told me that Texas was running behind Alabama and Oregon. In fact, over the weekend, Evan told a 247Sports reporter that Texas hadn't been in that much contact and he didn't know Andre Coleman that well after having a solid relationship with Jay Valai. I was told that Stewart actually filmed a video today at his school, and it sounds like he had contact with the Texas staff this morning.

— I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel a bit uneasy about this still. The timing still stands out to me, and I've not received as much confirmation as I'd like to at this point. With Crystal Ball picks I try to eliminate as much guesswork as possible and lean on good, reliable information. Piecing things together, this just makes sense. Texas has some buzz on the recruiting trail, and while he's never visited the Texas football program, he's at least been to Austin for state track. He's never visited Oregon or Alabama, and the timing of his communication with the staff to go with his tweet just adds up too well.

— If Texas pulls this off, I think it's a great indicator of what they can do on the recruiting trail. Stewart was talking down his interest in the Longhorns in the last 72 hours, and winning him over means something changed quickly. Stewart is a marketing genius. A TikTok star with over 1 million followers, he definitely knows how to create content in a palatable way. I was told there's definitely a chance he could drag his timeline out or drop the video immediately. He's a pretty unpredictable kid.

— Players on campus returned to workouts today with new Director of Football Performance Torre Becton. One source I spoke with said the difference between Becton and former strength coach Yancy McKnight was "night and day." I was told the players got along with him well today and he focuses on the details. Yancy McKnight certainly has a strong resume of results, but one source told me they felt what Becton did today applied to the field a little more. I think the atmosphere was a little more relaxed from what I heard. In fact, one former player told me that at times under McKnight and Herman, workouts felt like prison

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Roach

Mike at Night: More on Stewart, team workouts

VIP

My Boards

Back To Topics

MikeRoach

Posted on 29 secs, V I P, , User Post Count: 0

29 secsVIP

— Earlier in the evening I put a 247Sports Crystal Ball pick in for four-star wide receiver Evan Stewart. The timing made no sense to me because Evan recently told me that Texas was running behind Alabama and Oregon. In fact, over the weekend, Evan told a 247Sports reporter that Texas hadn't been in that much contact and he didn't know Andre Coleman that well after having a solid relationship with Jay Valai. I was told that Stewart actually filmed a video today at his school, and it sounds like he had contact with the Texas staff this morning.

— I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel a bit uneasy about this still. The timing still stands out to me, and I've not received as much confirmation as I'd like to at this point. With Crystal Ball picks I try to eliminate as much guesswork as possible and lean on good, reliable information. Piecing things together, this just makes sense. Texas has some buzz on the recruiting trail, and while he's never visited the Texas football program, he's at least been to Austin for state track. He's never visited Oregon or Alabama, and the timing of his communication with the staff to go with his tweet just adds up too well.

— If Texas pulls this off, I think it's a great indicator of what they can do on the recruiting trail. Stewart was talking down his interest in the Longhorns in the last 72 hours, and winning him over means something changed quickly. Stewart is a marketing genius. A TikTok star with over 1 million followers, he definitely knows how to create content in a palatable way. I was told there's definitely a chance he could drag his timeline out or drop the video immediately. He's a pretty unpredictable kid.

— Players on campus returned to workouts today with new Director of Football Performance Torre Becton. One source I spoke with said the difference between Becton and former strength coach Yancy McKnight was "night and day." I was told the players got along with him well today and he focuses on the details. Yancy McKnight certainly has a strong resume of results, but one source told me they felt what Becton did today applied to the field a little more. I think the atmosphere was a little more relaxed from what I heard. In fact, one former player told me that at times under McKnight and Herman, workouts felt like prison

God he's insufferable. Dude doesn't know shit and can't grasp that kids troll him because he's an old ass trying to talk to teenage boys. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

.20681d2351e8e2939da56b0f80e65e3e.jpg

"I haven't really talked to the staff ever since the new, like, Coach Sark," Stewart said. "I got on the phone with Coach Coleman, like a couple days ago. But, it wasn't really, like, a deep conversation. It was just, like, a little check-in."
Now, with any coaching transition sometimes recruiting can take a brief pause. Obviously things are shifting in Austin, Texas, which is something to consider when evaluating those words at face-value. However, the counter argument would be that Andre Coleman is a presence of continuity as he's being retained from the previous staff. However, Stewart made it clear that there was something to replace in terms of his relationship with the Longhorns' program.

"I didn't really talk to Coach Coleman like that," Stewart said. "When I was connected to Texas, it was really Coach Jay."
Jay Valai, obviously, has been and continues to be one of the stronger recruiters regionally and nationally. His reputation in the recruiting world speaks for itself. So, when combining all of this knowledge with the previous quotes, I was certainly a bit surprised. I've seen Stewart as a Texas lean as he's established the Longhorns as a favorite alongside programs like Alabama and Oregon. However, as I was thinking about all this, Stewart provided a quote that stood out.
"I like (Steve Sarkisian's) offense," Stewart said. "I watch Bama closely. I watched how they use DeVonta Smith and I see myself as a DeVonta Smith, myself."

That right there told me one thing: The moment that Sarkisian put his foot on the gas, he could easily win this race. What the former Alabama coordinator brings to the table is that one, simple pitch: Be the next DeVonta Smith. Stewart has exceptional talent and Sarkisian has the scheme to capitalize on it. This is a big deal when pitching to playmakers of Stewart's caliber.
I also factor-in staff ties. Stewart said he dealt mostly with Valai at Texas, which creates a bit of a vacancy. However, Jeff Banks comes to mind.

He's someone who Stewart does have some familiarity with in terms of dealing with Alabama. Banks is someone who has well-known Texas ties and factors heavily into some of these recruitments. While, yes, someone like Valai being gone hurts, having Banks in the mix definitely provides some help. This is much needed as Sarkisian's staff attempts to land Stewart.

Finally, there's the obvious connection between player and program. Stewart has been connected to Texas for quite awhile and that presence isn't going away. Combining all these factors, I like where the Longhorns stand. I'm not as confident as I typically am when entering predictions, but based on what I know, I'm set to enter my crystal ball with a confidence score of five.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Some details from the Kennedy dude, on his Evan Stewart CB.

Spoiler

Collin's Corner: New crystal ball for elite wideout Evan Stewart
COLLIN KENNEDY

I've entered a crystal ball for one of the top prospects in the state of Texas. Evan Stewart is one of the more dynamic playmakers you'll find across the Lone Star State. Now, he may just be staying within state-lines.

My forecast favors the Texas Longhorns. Before I dive into the confidence score and all that, I want to provide some context.

I was able to catch up with Stewart over the weekend at the Championship 7v7 event in Plano, Texas. He had just finished up an impressive showing on the field. However, while his play obviously caught my attention, so did some of the things he told me afterwards.

"I haven't really talked to the staff ever since the new, like, Coach Sark," Stewart said. "I got on the phone with Coach Coleman, like a couple days ago. But, it wasn't really, like, a deep conversation. It was just, like, a little check-in."

Now, with any coaching transition sometimes recruiting can take a brief pause. Obviously things are shifting in Austin, Texas, which is something to consider when evaluating those words at face-value. However, the counter argument would be that Andre Coleman is a presence of continuity as he's being retained from the previous staff. However, Stewart made it clear that there was something to replace in terms of his relationship with the Longhorns' program.

"I didn't really talk to Coach Coleman like that," Stewart said. "When I was connected to Texas, it was really Coach Jay."

Jay Valai, obviously, has been and continues to be one of the stronger recruiters regionally and nationally. His reputation in the recruiting world speaks for itself. So, when combining all of this knowledge with the previous quotes, I was certainly a bit surprised. I've seen Stewart as a Texas lean as he's established the Longhorns as a favorite alongside programs like Alabama and Oregon. However, as I was thinking about all this, Stewart provided a quote that stood out.

"I like (Steve Sarkisian's) offense," Stewart said. "I watch Bama closely. I watched how they use DeVonta Smith and I see myself as a DeVonta Smith, myself."

That right there told me one thing: The moment that Sarkisian put his foot on the gas, he could easily win this race. What the former Alabama coordinator brings to the table is that one, simple pitch: Be the next DeVonta Smith. Stewart has exceptional talent and Sarkisian has the scheme to capitalize on it. This is a big deal when pitching to playmakers of Stewart's caliber.

I also factor-in staff ties. Stewart said he dealt mostly with Valai at Texas, which creates a bit of a vacancy. However, Jeff Banks comes to mind. He's someone who Stewart does have some familiarity with in terms of dealing with Alabama. Banks is someone who has well-known Texas ties and factors heavily into some of these recruitments. While, yes, someone like Valai being gone hurts, having Banks in the mix definitely provides some help. This is much needed as Sarkisian's staff attempts to land Stewart.

Finally, there's the obvious connection between player and program. Stewart has been connected to Texas for quite awhile and that presence isn't going away. Combining all these factors, I like where the Longhorns stand. I'm not as confident as I typically am when entering predictions, but based on what I know, I'm set to enter my crystal ball with a confidence score of five.

• Hook 'Em 2

56 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Buddy of mine at Bama said he thinks being able to run track at Texas made a big difference. Not sure if speculation or real but could be an explanation of sorts

Makes sense Texas track is crazy good and has a history of producing Olympians.  I assume he is more focused on getting the bag but I bet being able to sell him on potentially going to the NFL and Olympics after attending Texas like Marquise Goodwin helps.  

12 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Does he have Olympic speed? Because yea I’m trying to hear that for another 4 years. 

It'd be nice for once if one of our players with olympic speed would actually showcase it in a game then I'd be ok with hearing it every game for 4 years.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Tex48 said:

It'd be nice for once if one of our players with olympic speed would actually showcase it in a game then I'd be ok with hearing it every game for 4 years.

You cast aspersions at David Aaron, you cast aspersions at all of Surly, sir!

Also, John Burt did do it once against Notre Dame on national tv. It reminded me of Robin Williams making a similar play in The Best of Times. Burt might have also done the same against Okie State, so he granted your wish twice, yet here you are, ungrateful and entitled. He’s probably reading this and almost getting mad and doing something, then fading from his keyboard again, generally indifferent. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

You cast aspersions at David Aaron, you cast aspersions at all of Surly, sir!

Also, John Burt did do it once against Notre Dame on national tv. It reminded me of Robin Williams making a similar play in The Best of Times. Burt might have also done the same against Okie State, so he granted your wish twice, yet here you are, ungrateful and entitled. He’s probably reading this and almost getting mad and doing something, then fading from his keyboard again, generally indifferent. 

I remember that John Burt play like it was yesterday. He pulled away from the ND defender, though it appeared as if he was hardly running. He was so open that he almost had time to pick up the pass and walk to the end zone

• Hook 'Em 1

Remember when Burt got caught from behind once because he kept turning around?

Watching Stewart's junior stuff for the first time. Probably need updated measurables to confirm, but if you're trying to make comps, I'm not sure if many names are off the table for this kid 

6 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Idk 10.7 100?  Maybe he gets it down to 10.4 which is Roy’s speed?   I flat don’t know.  Just spit ballin

Think the only one with true "olympic speed" in this class is Brenen Thompson. Has consistently put up times below 10.4

• Fuck You 1

34 minutes ago, Fud said:

Remember when Burt got caught from behind once because he kept turning around?

Watching Stewart's junior stuff for the first time. Probably need updated measurables to confirm, but if you're trying to make comps, I'm not sure if many names are off the table for this kid 

I'd eliminate John Burt as a comp

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting