40 people shot in 3 days

Stros

3 minutes ago, deadshank said:

So take poor blacks and mix them in with rich whites so they won't be poor blacks anymore?  They will assimilate into being different people?  Sounds paternalist and racist to me. 

Example: Whites know better, be more white and your problems will go away.  Your black behavior and world view needs to change. 

Y'all have railed on the ones disagreeing with you for this same line of thought.  How does that make sense when you are saying it?

Ibram Kendi writes about just this type of racism.  DD?  He's your man and you even quote him saying the belief that once race is inferior or superior to another is racist.

Show me the math.

The idea of mixed income neighborhoods being beneficial doesn't really have to do with race. You can take poor white people and put them in with wealthy black people and the effect would be the same. It's about rich and poor and exposing the poor to life outside of concentrated poverty. The reason it has to do with race in this country is because black people are disproportionately poor when compared to white people so they make up a disproportionate share of low income housing residents.

1 hour ago, Thatguy said:

Since none of you seen to be offering any solutions here s one.

Take a 10 year old hood kid and put him with a family in Beverly Hills, and by the time he is 18 he will be a different person

So the Fresh Prince of Beverly Hills Concept ??  Or Bel Air..... whatever it takes...

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

The idea of mixed income neighborhoods being beneficial doesn't really have to do with race. You can take poor white people and put them in with wealthy black people and the effect would be the same. It's about rich and poor and exposing the poor to life outside of concentrated poverty. The reason it has to do with race in this country is because black people are disproportionately poor when compared to white people so they make up a disproportionate share of low income housing residents.

You're dancing now.  Before it was a racism problem that has now waltzed into a money problem.  

White people racist.  That racism keeps blacks down.  Solution:  desegregate neighborhoods where blacks move into white neighborhoods.  End game:  Everybody is white; problem solved.

2 hours ago, Thatguy said:

Like I said, it's impossible for you to understand. These are kids. 15, 16, and 17 year old children. How many of us experimented with things on the way to adulthood? Were we not told 1000 times the repercussions of our actions yet we did it anyway? Kids make mistakes. Lot's of them. It doesn't matter whether it's the suburbs or the inner city, that sentiment holds true. Now imagine if some of the dumbass shit you did at 16 or 17 ruined your life. Somewhere at this very moment hoards of teeny bopper girls are shoplifting. Somewhere some kids are smoking weed or popping pills. Somewhere tonight a bunch of suburban kids are going to try to buy some coke. And somewhere some poor teenager is going to be dumb enough to try and sell it to them. The difference is when that kid gets caught for being a dumbass teenager his life is going to effectively be over. Meanwhile, the suburban teenager caught with drugs is going to have them confiscated and driven home so his parents can handle the situation, while the inner city kid will get tried as an adult. 

It's not an excuse, it's the truth. When we start seeing them as kids and stop seeing them as monsters, maybe then we will be able to help them.

I’m a former white suburban kid. I became a teenage father. I stepped up to the plate and became a “Dad”. (Husband too) Was I wrong to fuck my now wife because the condom broke? Was I doing anything different than any other horny teenage guy out there? Is it fair that I was saddled with lifelong responsibilities as a result of my actions when my buddies got away with it?

You’re barking up the wrong sympathy tree. My race had zero to do with my decisions, consequences or acceptance of my self-created situation. All I’m hearing is excuses for why black kids have it so tough while white kids are getting away with being druggies/dealers en mass. Of course black inner city kids are targeted. Why do you think that is beyond “White Privilege”?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

I’m a former white suburban kid. I became a teenage father. I stepped up to the plate and became a “Dad”. (Husband too) Was I wrong to fuck my now wife because the condom broke? Was I doing anything different than any other horny teenage guy out there? Is it fair that I was saddled with lifelong responsibilities as a result of my actions when my buddies got away with it?

You’re barking up the wrong sympathy tree. My race had zero to do with my decisions, consequences or acceptance of my self-created situation. All I’m hearing is excuses for why black kids have it so tough while white kids are getting away with being druggies/dealers en mass. Of course black inner city kids are targeted. Why do you think that is beyond “White Privilege”?

Why do you think inner city black kids are targeted when suburban white kids aren't?

• Fuck You 1

5 hours ago, David Dennison said:

Why do you think inner city black kids are targeted when suburban white kids aren't?

Why do you think white males are targeted when white females aren’t?

Why are black males targeted more than black females?

clearly “The Man” is sexist.  

Why is it okay that males of every race are targeted much more than females of the corresponding race?

Edited by Johnny Sack

3 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Why do you think white males are targeted when white females aren’t?

Why are black males targeted more than black females?

clearly “The Man” is sexist.  

Why is it okay that males of every race are targeted much more than females of the corresponding race?

I have no idea.

Why?

13 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

I have no idea.

Why?

Because, statistically speaking, they are the most likely perpetrators. Because for every 50 perps arrested, only 1 is female. If your job was to bust perps, wouldn’t you go to an area that has the highest probability of success? That’s why there is an inequality in the statistics. When 97% of the source comes from lower income minority neighborhoods, it’s logistics that is painted as targeting and racial profiling. I mean, should we profile more Asians at the airport to avoid the appearance of picking on Middle Eastern people? Where’s the logic in that?

Edited by Spankytoes

I have an anecdote. I've been drinking so this won't be well typed out...

My dad was the oldest of three kids and was abandoned by his dad at aged 10 my aunt was 9 and my uncle was 8.They grew up in bullshit west Virginia by the border of Ohio (sucks), West Virginia and Pennsylvania. The now meth capital of the world.  Grandma never re-married and leaned on family to take take care of everyone. My dad, aunt and uncle all went military route after high school. Army, and two Navy. All live great lives, never divorced, and worked what they could. They bitched, they hated life, but they never expected anything. my dad went to college, failed out  Uncle went college, failed out.  aunt is a fucking genius  but has MS. We live middle class lives and now between the three of them they have 3 college graduates as kids, one military son, one business owner, and one who more than makes their way by. Class didn't keep them down, money didn't keep them down, or druggy friends. Family helped raised them up along with service. Can't speak to  race cause West Virginia is Lily white. There are alot of ways out and pretending you can't go down some alternative way is bullshit. 

• Like 1

Just now, Spankytoes said:

Because, statistically speaking, they are the most likely perpetrators. Because for every 50 perps, only 1 is female. If your job was to bust perps, wouldn’t you go to an area that has the highest probability of success? That’s why there is an inequality in the statistics. When 97% of the source comes from lower income minority neighborhoods, it’s logistics that is painted as targeting and racial profiling. I mean, should we profile more Asians at the airport to avoid picking in Middle Eastern people? Where’s the logic in that?

Now apply that to black people. What do you conclude?

9 hours ago, deadshank said:

So take poor blacks and mix them in with rich whites so they won't be poor blacks anymore?  They will assimilate into being different people?  Sounds paternalist and racist to me. 

Example: Whites know better, be more white and your problems will go away.  Your black behavior and world view needs to change. 

Y'all have railed on the ones disagreeing with you for this same line of thought.  How does that make sense when you are saying it?

Ibram Kendi writes about just this type of racism.  DD?  He's your man and you even quote him saying the belief that once race is inferior or superior to another is racist.

Show me the math.

The Beverly Hills comment was an example. I used the phrase quit being obtuse earlier, but I see we are still determined to finish strong. Color doesn't matter. Which demographic is poor or not doesn't matter.

9 hours ago, Spankytoes said:

You have no idea what you are talking about. You will never get it until you get arrested for some bullshit and have a DA hanging as much time as he can over your head in order to get you to plead. He could give a damn whether or not you are guilty or not, his only concern is his conviction record. That's what they do, and the inner city kids are screwed because they can't afford proper representation. So they are convinced to plead for shorter time, or they get hammered for way more time than they should of. It's a vicious cycle of people not giving a damn about these kids' welfare, when a second chance and an opportunity is all they need.

Don't commit felonies and the DA won't give a shit.

Oh, it's the third time he's been busted with pot. Well guess what, stop fucking around with drugs and life improves dramatically.

Acting as if that shit is normal is part of the problem.

Edited by slorch

2 hours ago, slorch said:

Don't commit felonies and the DA won't give a shit.

Oh, it's the third time he's been busted with pot. Well guess what, stop fucking around with drugs and life improves dramatically.

Acting as if that shit is normal is part of the problem.

It's normal for suburb kids too, they just aren't getting stopped and frisked all the time Slorch. When I got to Texas the white kids were the ones partying the hardest and doing the most drugs. I didn't know kids did cocaine and pills until then. It opened my eyes to a lot of things, but of course in your world those things aren't going on right Slorch?

1 hour ago, Thatguy said:

It's normal for suburb kids too, they just aren't getting stopped and frisked all the time Slorch. When I got to Texas the white kids were the ones partying the hardest and doing the most drugs. I didn't know kids did cocaine and pills until then. It opened my eyes to a lot of things, but of course in your world those things aren't going on right Slorch?

Absolutely.  Affluent suburban kids have opportunities to really fuck up.  And they'll have more opportunities to fix their lives than poor kids.  Those opportunities don't come out of a vacuum.  It can take generations, or one really luck generation, to get to that point.  

If you're a single parent your over riding goal should to give your kid(s) the chance to have a life with more opportunity than you may have had.  And teach them to pass along the same ethic.

Change doesn't happen in a decade.  It takes generations.

• Like 1

8247121-720x0-c-default.png

“Because Chicago has so many people, it can get a murder every day, and that gets people’s attention,” John Pfaff, a professor of law at Fordham Law School, told The Trace recently. “When you focus on numbers, not rates, Chicago ends up looking worse because you forget just how big a city it is.”

https://www.thetrace.org/2017/01/chicago-not-most-dangerous-city-america/

2 hours ago, Thatguy said:

If you son’t possess them you don’t get arrested. I had friends who blazed up.  Guess what, whenthat shit came out at parties, it was time to go.  I didn’t want to be around it because I had military obligations and then DOT regulations that prohibited drug use.  I didn’t want even the appearance of a drug related issue in my life.

Amazingly, I’ve never failed a background check a drug test.

It’s just white privilege though...even for my black peers and employees at work who made the same choices...

Sheer luck is all it is, right?

On 5/6/2018 at 2:07 PM, 5 5 said:

Bullshit. You have no idea what LA used to be like. Machine guns blasted off in east Hollywood. Now Watts is virtually placid. Violent crime and gang warfare have plummeted in LA as they stripped it of guns. And Compton is not gentrified. The blacks are beset by Mexicans, not condos.

Show me the last time somebody in LA gun massacred up the community. This happens all over god fearing gun toting America.  

Someone want to tell me why another minority community moving in helped drop the crime rate in LA?  If it's all whities fault, not that you specifically said that but others like David are implying it, why aren't Mexicans and other Central and South Americans murdering each other at the same rate as blacks?  Why are Hispanic communities not as big or even bigger failures because of the language/legal barrier?  What's the difference between inner city Chicago and San Antonio?

3 hours ago, Thatguy said:

And they should be locked up too if caught. No question. But you can't be serious at to the "why". To expound on my statement above, if you needed money, would you go to a bank or play scratch off lottery tickets? There is ZERO question that you are going to bust people in the hood. It's shooting fish in a barrel. You have to actively seek out the white suburban kids. Plus, they won't be allocating the same police departments to do it either. (In most cases) So it's hard to make a case that blacks are being targeted when the playing field is not level. If I'm looking to do a drug raid, I concentrate on the area(s) that will yield the biggest results from the net cast. That's not suburban white America 

Finally, you have got to get on the personal responsibility train. If your example is bitching that the same person was busted a 3rd time for slinging rock when Blaine in Highland Park doesn't even get stopped, you have lost your damn mind. When you knowingly break the law, and didn't learn your lesson the past few times, maybe a prison sentence is the best thing for you. There are other legitimate ways to earn money that are completely obtainable for a minimally skilled worker. What they don't need is that gold chain and rims to survive. It's not the race, it's the attitude and mindset that irks the shit out of me.

1 hour ago, Poolflood said:

Absolutely.  Affluent suburban kids have opportunities to really fuck up.  And they'll have more opportunities to fix their lives than poor kids.  Those opportunities don't come out of a vacuum.  It can take generations, or one really luck generation, to get to that point.  

If you're a single parent your over riding goal should to give your kid(s) the chance to have a life with more opportunity than you may have had.  And teach them to pass along the same ethic.

Change doesn't happen in a decade.  It takes generations.

And what generation will be the magic one? The Civil Rights Act was implemented in 1964. Conceivably, we can say that we are on the 3rd generation thus far. What has improved? You can't be overtly racist anymore in a Capitalist society that is fueled by social media. That's about the long and skinny of it. Personal responsibility and advocating for a stronger family unit shouldn't be akin to figuring out Ikea instructions. There are many people in the black community that are living their lives as independent, successful, goal-driven and intelligent citizens. There are many white kids that would be classified as "white trash" as was their fathers before them. There isn't a one size fits all blanket solution. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TxEx99 said:

Someone want to tell me why another minority community moving in helped drop the crime rate in LA?  If it's all whities fault, not that you specifically said that but others like David are implying it, why aren't Mexicans and other Central and South Americans murdering each other at the same rate as blacks?  Why are Hispanic communities not as big or even bigger failures because of the language/legal barrier?  What's the difference between inner city Chicago and San Antonio?

There's one glaring historical difference, but what are your thoughts as to why?

1 hour ago, Michael Knight said:

You could say the same thing for nationally publicized incidents involving a white cop and a black suspect. It doesn't change the feeling that institutional racism is prevalent in today's society. Hell, even George Zimmerman gradually became white.

1 minute ago, Spankytoes said:

You could say the same thing for nationally publicized incidents involving a white cop and a black suspect. It doesn't change the feeling that institutional racism is prevalent in today's society. Hell, even George Zimmerman gradually became white.

It's not a feeling. It's an actual thing that exists. 

2 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

It's not a feeling. It's an actual thing that exists. 

Sure it does. Because we've gradually broadened the definition of what it means to be a "racist". It used to be ignorant people judging and interfering with the prosperity of those that have a different skin color. Now, it's having the audacity to disagree with a minority person's viewpoint instead of shutting up, letting your white guilt seep through and flogging yourself in silence because you can't possibly understand what it's like to be a minority. We're not allowed to judge others by their words and actions anymore unless they too are white. It's the curse of being a white male in America. Voicing opinions is not allowed because it may offend your gay, black woman neighbor going to Community College despite the fact that you truly believe that she is just as equal as you are. 

You're white, so you're wrong. End of story.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

There's one glaring historical difference, but what are your thoughts as to why?

I'm honestly not sure.  Though I will say pretty much most of the hispanic kids and adults I met have a vastly better work ethic than blacks.  That's just an anecdotal evidence but hispanic men hustle like nobody's business.  There's almost nothing they won't do to earn a buck.  MS-13 and other gangs are an issue.  Hispanic murder rates are higher than whites but lower than blacks.  What separates those communities?  I have no idea.  That's what I'm trying to figure out.  I grew up in Fort Worth and I've got to tell you I'd much rather be stuck in Northside after dark than Stop Six.  Both are majority minority.  One area is doing better than the other.  There has to be a reason(s) why.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stros said:

Chicago is very bad at aiming. If they could hit the broad side of a barn, they would be much higher on that list.

Maybe.  But it is clear that better medicine is keeping the deaths  lower than before.  Also, the city police have come up with creative ways to manipulate stats for national statistics measurement.

CHICAGO'S MURDER PROBLEM COULD BE WORSE

The city has reputation for violence, but without some of the best trauma centers the situation could be much worse.

There's something else that's extraordinary about Chicago's murder rate. Take that holiday weekend: While 15 people died, 86 were shot—but survived. They lived because the city's first responders and emergency room staff have adapted to accommodate combat-zone conditions. Chicago boasts one of the oldest and largest urban emergency medicine networks in the world, with six certified Level 1 trauma centers within the city limits. Indeed, criminologist Arthur Lurigio of Loyola University Chicago credits the strength of this network, and recent improvements in trauma care, with the historic drop in the city's homicide rate since its mid-1990s peak.

https://psmag.com/news/the-misleading-violent-data-of-chicago

This is interesting in terms of going where the crime is and where the nearest trauma center is wrt the shooting:

Spoiler

8efb69e68.webp

"For every mile away [that] a gunshot victim is from a trauma center, there's an increase in the mortality rate," said Crandall, now professor of surgery and director of research at the University of Florida College of Medicine Jacksonville. "We found that people shot more than five miles away from a trauma center door increased the risk of dying more than 23 percent."

An older article which implys different coding of crime as a shenanigans for national reporting:

Spoiler

He has seen similar drops in crime at other police departments after they introduce centralised data-driven performance targets, which put individual officers under pressure to keep their numbers down. He calls this the “New York model” as it got its start in the Big Apple in 1994, and has since spread to Atlanta, Baltimore, Dallas and New Orleans as well as to Australia, Britain and France.

Surveys of police retirees in New York found that the introduction of this CompStat system brought pressure to downgrade crimes to less serious offences. For example, the NYPD undervalued property losses so that an incident was not listed as a felony, and a series of crimes in one place might be listed as a single event.

Tellingly the NYPD reported a 50% drop in assaults between 1999 and 2006 even though hospital records showed a 90% increase in assault-related visits to the emergency room. Another sign of a problem can be seen in the 41% decrease in New York's felony burglaries during this period. Felony burglaries are a serious crime that is counted in national statistics. A similar offense, known as “misdemeanor criminal trespass”, is not. If police were reporting crimes consistently one would expect these two crimes to follow pretty similar trajectories. But they did not. In fact there was a 71% increase in misdemeanor criminal trespass. It looks very much like more serious crime was being downgraded.

https://www.economist.com/blogs/democracyinamerica/2014/05/crime-statistics-chicago

There isn't an easy answer.  

Edited by zork

21 hours ago, David Dennison said:

Poors have cooties.

Chad and Stacy don't want cooties. 

Chad and Stacy's parents worked their entire lives to not be around poors. They decided not to party, not to do drugs. That the 401k and 529 was more important than the slab. Let's reward their hard work by dragging them back to poverty.  At the very least, their largest asset is about to take a beating on value. 

They would either move, or just buy out the poors.  Or worse, the community's acceptance starts regressing.  Making life "harder" for the people they don't want in the community. Unintended consequences if you will.  Back to square one, now with large groups of well to dos who are not happy about it. 

50 minutes ago, seven said:

Let a handful of plebs into the cozy confines of your gated community and your children will be eating shoe leather for dinner within a week 

Probably not. But I bet their bikes will go missing. And car stereos will start getting ripped off.   Maybe their kids start drugs. Because poor also brings lazy. And lazy people steal rather than work. Or sling drugs. Or rob and steal. Whatever is the easiest and most profitable.

Now you’ve taken a community of people who’ve strived to leave that behind, and forced them back into it. There’s a reason why it’s never worked.  People who try to better themselves through hard work, education, and sacrifice want as far away from the lazy (that blend with the poor) as possible. 

*note - I realize there are hard working, honest people who are “poor”.   

43 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Probably not. But I bet their bikes will go missing. And car stereos will start getting ripped off.   Maybe their kids start drugs. Because poor also brings lazy. And lazy people steal rather than work. Or sling drugs. Or rob and steal. Whatever is the easiest and most profitable.

Now you’ve taken a community of people who’ve strived to leave that behind, and forced them back into it. There’s a reason why it’s never worked.  People who try to better themselves through hard work, education, and sacrifice want as far away from the lazy (that blend with the poor) as possible. 

*note - I realize there are hard working, honest people who are “poor”.   

But you have signaled your dickness, so all is well. 

The idea of integrating neighborhoods is interesting. It’s been my anecdotal observation that people like to live around people that are like themselves. For instance where I live, certain wealthy neighborhoods have been targeted and are now almost 100% Indian. There’s one right across the street from me in fact. The good news is that I know the only white guy in there and so I get invited to the poker games, and those guys happen to suck at poker.

I think most people, if every other factor was exactly the same, would choose to live in a neighborhood that is predominately their race vs the opposite. I don’t see that as racism.

Also, at least in Atlanta, the most diverse neighborhoods tend to be in the city where the schools suck and the crime is at least a little worse.

The idea of integrating neighborhoods is interesting. It’s been my anecdotal observation that people like to live around people that are like themselves. For instance where I live, certain wealthy neighborhoods have been targeted and are now almost 100% Indian. There’s one right across the street from me in fact. The good news is that I know the only white guy in there and so I get invited to the poker games, and those guys happen to suck at poker.

I think most people, if every other factor was exactly the same, would choose to live in a neighborhood that is predominately their race vs the opposite. I don’t see that as racism.

Also, at least in Atlanta, the most diverse neighborhoods tend to be in the city where the schools suck and the crime is at least a little worse.

So you must live in Sugarland or Irving? /stereotyping

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mainly Numbers.
In 1970,LA had more Blacks than Hispanics.
Now,Hispanics outnumber Blacks 6-7 fold.

LA Blacks have fled to the Inland Empire, Vegas, Phoenix, and Atlanta mostly due to economics and Hispanic demographic takeover.

Hispanic gangs are more structured and organized and have been at war with the Crips and Bloods over racial shit and drug territory especially since they have the numbers.

Hispanic gangs don’t war with each other like they did in the 80s. The prison gang La Emme brought many of them under one umbrella. Stronger family bonds amongst the poorer Hispanics helps too.

The Black gangs in Chicago have no structure or hierarchy like they did. It’s a free for all with no OGs to keep them in check anymore. Most Hispanic gangs in Chicago are affiliated with the Black gangs except for the Latin Kings. No racial war there, just violent,savage, and young gang members out of control along with a weakened CPD.
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Spankytoes said:

And what generation will be the magic one? The Civil Rights Act was implemented in 1964. Conceivably, we can say that we are on the 3rd generation thus far. What has improved? You can't be overtly racist anymore in a Capitalist society that is fueled by social media. That's about the long and skinny of it. Personal responsibility and advocating for a stronger family unit shouldn't be akin to figuring out Ikea instructions. There are many people in the black community that are living their lives as independent, successful, goal-driven and intelligent citizens. There are many white kids that would be classified as "white trash" as was their fathers before them. There isn't a one size fits all blanket solution. 

Nothing like a white guy asking how long it will take and then tossing out the ole "Civil Rights Act was implemented in 1964", as if the moment that it was signed all the people with pitch forks, "ni**er go home" signs, fire hoses, and German Shepherds took their ball and went home. Yep, as soon as it was signed businesses started hiring black people, letting them move into the affluent neighborhoods, and immediately dropped billions of dollars into the public education system in black communities.

It takes time on both sides. Racist bastards that want nothing to do with giving black people opportunities have to die off, and black people need to continue paving the way for the next generations to succeed. There is no magic elixir. It's not going to change overnight, and it damn sure isn't going to change if people like yourself refuse to believe there aren't still people out there blocking the way.

9 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Chad and Stacy's parents worked their entire lives to not be around poors. They decided not to party, not to do drugs. That the 401k and 529 was more important than the slab. Let's reward their hard work by dragging them back to poverty.  At the very least, their largest asset is about to take a beating on value. 

They would either move, or just buy out the poors.  Or worse, the community's acceptance starts regressing.  Making life "harder" for the people they don't want in the community. Unintended consequences if you will.  Back to square one, now with large groups of well to dos who are not happy about it. 

You must be poor because that is the most untruthful statement I have ever heard. Rich people have big time drug and addiction issues, don't let the 401K fool you. It's just they can afford their habits. Betty Ford isn't for poor people my friend.

Edited by Thatguy