Cable car drops hundred of feet in Italy, 13 dead

AUS-97HORN

2 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:

The cables on these outside of Vancouver have been cut, twice, over the last 2 years.    No one was hurt as the cars were empty but they did go tumbling down. 

Environmentalists not happy with the cars and their placement.   

image.png.a1dc41eff4e6cc60d41badd9e22c963b.png

I think I saw that episode of HGTV's Antifa International.

Maybe it’s an age thing? I can’t watch those videos anymore, can’t get near a balcony if it’s more than a few stories high. I get that nauseous feeling and feel like I’m getting sucked over the edge. A recent new one for me was getting that feeling on one of the taller flyovers in Austin. Can’t remember which but maybe 183 & Mopac.

• Like 2

As someone who fell out of a chairlift as a kid, this hits close to home.  I was looking for somewhere to go skiing a few years ago, and noticed that Whistler has put in a peak to peak gondola.  I cannot imagine how high that thing is off the ground at it’s midpoint.

and to answer my own question, it is 1,430 feet off the ground at its highest point.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peak_2_Peak_Gondola

Edited by conVINCEd

8 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

As someone who fell out of a chairlift as a kid, this hits close to home.  I was looking for somewhere to go skiing a few years ago, and noticed that Whistler has put in a peak to peak gondola.  I cannot imagine how high that thing is off the ground at it’s midpoint.

and to answer my own question, it is 1,430 feet off the ground at its highest point.

Been in it many times. It's spectacular. They have a few with a center glass bottom.  It's also the world's longest unsupported span of a cable car (~3k between supports). 

Spoiler
View from Glass Bottom Gondola on Peak 2 Peak Gondola between Whistler & Blackcomb Mountains

3 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

there's one in hong kong that at its highest point is 751 meters above sea level.  it goes from one island to another island.  in a glass bottom car.  although the one i chose had no glass bottom no way jose.

2 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

there's one in hong kong that at its highest point is 751 meters above sea level.  it goes from one island to another island.  in a glass bottom car.  although the one i chose had no glass bottom no way jose.

I still ski, but you will never see an adult male be as vigilant about holding onto the pole on a ski lift as me.  I fell about 30 feet, landed on my side, broke most of the ribs on that side, and had a nasty concussion.  There is no fucking way I would ever get on that thing or the one in Whistler.

1 hour ago, conVINCEd said:

I still ski, but you will never see an adult male be as vigilant about holding onto the pole on a ski lift as me.  I fell about 30 feet, landed on my side, broke most of the ribs on that side, and had a nasty concussion.  There is no fucking way I would ever get on that thing or the one in Whistler.

were you leaning forward trying to tighten your boots? what caused you to fall out?

3 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

were you leaning forward trying to tighten your boots? what caused you to fall out?

I was 6.  It was like the second time I had been on a real lift.  I felt like I was going to drop my poles, so I was trying to not drop them, and when I was doing that somebody had an incident at the top or bottom and they stopped the lift.  It swung back, and then swung forward, and out I went.

OMG! WTF?

“The owner, manager and service director of a northern Italian cable company are facing manslaughter charges after allegedly admitting that they deactivated the emergency brake system on a cable car that plummeted to the ground Sunday morning.”

https://news.yahoo.com/emergency-brake-cable-car-killed-113118663.html

Edited by Nicole44

2 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

OMG! WTF?

“The owner, manager and service director of a northern Italian cable company are facing manslaughter charges after allegedly admitting that they deactivated the emergency brake system on a cable car that plummeted to the ground Sunday morning.”

https://news.yahoo.com/emergency-brake-cable-car-killed-113118663.html

Has to be a shoe-in for E-Brake of the Week.

Also:

...Lead prosecutor Olimpia Bossi told reporters Wednesday that the cable car’s emergency brakes had been tampered with after they were spontaneously activating since the system came back online April 26 after Italy’s latest COVID-19 lockdown. The car that was later involved in the crash had stopped several times, and local media report that on at least one occasion, passengers called the emergency services to report they were trapped in the air. 

But rather than removing or repairing the faulty brake system, Bossi said the company chose instead to deactivate it. One of the investigators told local media that all three “admitted” to what happened, calling the decision to take the deadly shortcut “a grave one....”

Edited by clapclapclap
  • Rage+1 1

Many of you probably don't know about or forgot this one, but it got huge press when it happened.  Vail 1976 2 cars dropped, killing 4 and seriously injuring 8.  What makes it particularly gripping is that one of the cars flipped on the way down, and the very heavy roof/linkage arm plowed through the car, essentially flattening the riders, much like a potato masher:

Somehow Car 67, dangling by its thread of steel, stayed aloft. But Car 60 jumped off the line. Its wheel carriage remained attached to the car top. As it fell, the weight of the carriage tipped the car over and it landed upside down in the snow 23 feet up the hill from Car 25. The impact forced the carriage through the car roof, lethally battering the passengers on their heads just as they hit the ground.

Ironically, the fact that the cars hung over ungroomed/unpacked snow probably saved the other 8, providing a cushion of sorts - if they had dropped on packed or groomed ground, they would all most likely have died.  But it made rescuing a nightmare - they had to wade through hip-deep snow.

Sports Illustrated wrote a pretty compelling story on it.  It's not overly long, maybe 10 mins.
https://vault.si.com/vault/1976/12/13/the-tragedy-on-gondola-ii