Cable car drops hundred of feet in Italy, 13 dead

AUS-97HORN

4 minutes ago, Hate said:

The news story reported it was about 300 feet where they fell.

which story? the one linked says it failed about 300m from the top of the mountain. but the cable itself looked to be at about the top of the tree line in the video and in pictures. nobody is surviving a 300 foot fall in a cable car. 

13 minutes ago, futureman said:

which story? the one linked says it failed about 300m from the top of the mountain. but the cable itself looked to be at about the top of the tree line in the video and in pictures. nobody is surviving a 300 foot fall in a cable car. 

Local mayor Marcella Severino told local media the accident is believed to have been caused by one of the cables breaking. She said the lift plunged some 65ft and rolled several times down the slopes before it was stopped by trees, while hikers said they had heard a loud hiss just before the crash.

Yeah, I thought I had seen a story earlier (not the linked story) that said 300 feet.  I've seen several now that says is was between 50-65 feet.  That's about a 2 second free fall.  Hopefully it was quick enough so those people didn't have time to think.

25 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

And people want these in Austin

gondola-on-south-first_35321709_ver1.0.j

Hmmm. I wouldn’t mind one running from RR to downtown. Just not over the main road ways like that. Lol. Drunk asses in cable cars. What could go wrong? Imagine being employee tasked with getting people out and in. 

7 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Hmmm. I wouldn’t mind one running from RR to downtown. Just not over the main road ways like that. Lol. Drunk asses in cable cars. What could go wrong? Imagine being employee tasked with getting people out and in. 

And cleaning them after a Saturday night. Well we could hire the homeless right? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

20 meters . . . roughly 2 seconds.  I seriously doubt many of those killed had even the slightest idea of what was happening, thank goodness.

You don't think you'd realize within 2 seconds that you were in freefall?

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

1234.  Done the skydiving thing when I was younger, had a blast, never bothered me. Flying, doesn't bother me.

But have me go up to the top of an actual high-rise and walk over to a window and look out...

No GIF

Same here except skydiving. Fuck that too. If I encounter anything remotely high, my balls retract into my stomach but oddly enough, I'm cool with airplanes.

8 minutes ago, Hmbre97 said:

Same here except skydiving. Fuck that too. If I encounter anything remotely high, my balls retract into my stomach but oddly enough, I'm cool with airplanes.

Yep same with me. Even weirder is that as a kid I would climb 30 feet up an oak tree no problem. 

20 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

Ever fly in a Chinese glass-bottom airplane?

With areas that look like broken glass and piped in cracking sounds? Nope

But I flew Aeroflot from Moscow to Novosibirsk. The plane looked like shit with no carpeting and upholstery and everything creaked and with all the passengers smoking it was hard to tell if the haze was from the engines or the passengers.

I have been in a large float plane where the engines shut off mid-flight. Yeah, that wasn't fun whether you are scared of flying or not.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Remember this video? It’s still tough to watch. You couldn’t pay me enough. I’d rather work in a sewer.

I try to forget it. There at about the 3:50 mark, when he gets to the small ladder my balls fully retract.

I don't care how deep the tower's base is, don't care how many supporting cables/wires are coming off of that tower to keep it upright.  There is no way I could trust that tiny little ladder.

no man GIF

2 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Remember this video? It’s still tough to watch. You couldn’t pay me enough. I’d rather work in a sewer.

I might be having a panic attack. Am I correctly seeing that they are only “tied off” (if that’s what you call slipping the clip over a thin rod) when they take breaks and at the very top?  How many people die a year climbing that thing?

27 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

I might be having a panic attack. Am I correctly seeing that they are only “tied off” (if that’s what you call slipping the clip over a thin rod) when they take breaks and at the very top?  How many people die a year climbing that thing?

That’s correct. I don’t know how many people die doing that job but if I had it then I would definitely account for one.