Portland, OR...

Kyrie Eleison

6 minutes ago, Helobious said:

The MAX has been free all weekend so I’ve been on it a bunch. I’m ready for a fight every time I step on but haven’t encountered any problems at all. Much of downtown is eerily quiet/inactive tonight. Better than the alternative I guess. Probably watched too much news, everyone made Portland sound like a total war zone but I haven’t felt that way at all. Seattle is still a way nicer/prettier city for sure. 

You're not wrong, all the looters and rioters have really taken their toll on what wasn't so bad. If you can, get up to Hawthorne. It has some cool stuff, same as North Mississippi.

Edited by workswithseed
  • Hook 'Em 1

not a bad place at all…great Thai, sushi, Salt and Straw pear and bleu cheese ice cream hit the spot for sure.  

oddities…there’s a vegan titter not far from where we’re at, so yeah.  i have no clue what a vegan titter is, but i guess it involves hairy pits, legs and bush.  and patchouli.  but whatever floats a boat.  

good visit…we’ll be back.  

4 minutes ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

not a bad place at all…great Thai, sushi, Salt and Straw pear and bleu cheese ice cream hit the spot for sure.  

oddities…there’s a vegan titter not far from where we’re at, so yeah.  i have no clue what a vegan titter is, but i guess it involves hairy pits, legs and bush.  and patchouli.  but whatever floats a boat.  

If I remember correctly, Necropolis is open again.

13 hours ago, Kyrie Eleison said:

Casa Diablo! Food menu is all vegan and no fur, leather, etc worn by the dancers on stage. Other than that, your normal garden variety full nudity titter.

• 11 months later...

I lived there for three years back when it was just halfway fucked, not totally fucked.

Find a good seafood joint. I find Jake’s a bit touristy. Oysters are great as are crabs. Should be some river with salmon running. Halibut is great. Avoid shrimp up there as it’s all Asian Tiger shitbugs.

It’s a great breakfast town. Great Thai joints. Tittybar steakhouses are popular.

There is no barbecue. Lousy Mexican.

• Hook 'Em 1

Murata is as close to a little Tokyo neighborhood sushi joint as I’ve been to on this side. It is fantastic. We used to take Japanese expats there and they were blown away. You will see fish you’ve never seen.

The town is ground zero of craft brewing and it’s 10x what it was when I lived there. Most of them have excellent food so check the latest rankings with the locals. Most can be depended on to serve killer fish and chips, great burgers, and fish tacos.

Ringside is a local favorite. It sucks. It was last great in the 80’s. You want a steak go to Ox. It’s not really a steak town.

Screen door is good breakfast place.

The town is loaded with excellent Thai, Korean, Vietnamese, Chinese, and Japanese.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Texzilla58 said:

Murata is as close to a little Tokyo neighborhood sushi joint as I’ve been to on this side. It is fantastic. We used to take Japanese expats there and they were blown away. You will see fish you’ve never seen.

The town is ground zero of craft brewing and it’s 10x what it was when I lived there. Most of them have excellent food so check the latest rankings with the locals. Most can be depended on to serve killer fish and chips, great burgers, and fish tacos.

Ringside is a local favorite. It sucks. It was last great in the 80’s. You want a steak go to Ox. It’s not really a steak town.

Screen door is good breakfast place.

The town is loaded with excellent Thai, Korean, Vietnamese, Chinese, and Japanese.

Great town.  I hope it bounces back.

Great town.  I hope it bounces back.

It is hell on earth. 44 and rain ten months a year. The weather is why the locals are all crazy. 80% of women have seasonal affective disorder, and only about a quarter get treated. The crazy scale is off the chart, hot not so much.

3 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

It is hell on earth. 44 and rain ten months a year. The weather is why the locals are all crazy. 80% of women have seasonal affective disorder, and only about a quarter get treated. The crazy scale is off the chart, hot not so much.

Oh stop, plenty of hoors in the Pearl

• 1 month later...

Food has been outstanding. It is hard to not to eat out three times a day given how cheap and amazing every meal has been.

Dog parks also have been amazing.

I am now threatening to move here and looked at houses as a joke this weekend. One of the houses had a longhorn flag.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, pronghorn said:

Food has been outstanding. It is hard to not to eat out three times a day given how cheap and amazing every meal has been.

I am now threatening to move here and looked at houses as a joke this weekend. One of the houses had a longhorn flag.

Probably less expensive than Austin now.  I’d do it 

• Hook 'Em 2

You are there in the dry season. Rainy season starts Labor Day. Goes thru July 4. Ten months of low clouds, 44 and cold rain. Enjoy it. Suicide is legal.

We moved up to Vancouver, WA (suburb of Portland on the WA side) from Houston in Oct 2020 and have enjoyed it so far. Yes, it rains on and off from Oct to April, but summers are fantastic. No luck with good Tex-Mex, but did find these bbq places (https://podnahspit.com/ and https://thesmokinoakpit.com) along with the PDX Exes chapter and McCombs Alumni network, so still getting settled in. Also, we’ve got 3 butcher shops within 15 / 20 minutes. 

Edited by gaspar
  • Hook 'Em 2

57 minutes ago, gaspar said:

We moved up to Vancouver, WA (suburb of Portland on the WA side) from Houston in Oct 2020 and have enjoyed it so far. Yes, it rains on and off from Oct to April, but summers are fantastic. No luck with good Tex-Mex, but did find these bbq places (https://podnahspit.com/ and https://thesmokinoakpit.com) along with the PDX Exes chapter and McCombs Alumni network, so still getting settled in. Also, we’ve got 3 butcher shops within 15 / 20 minutes. 

Smart.  No state income tax.  No sales tax across the river.

• Hook 'Em 5

That's if you also work in Washington, if you work in Portland you'll still get income tax. You used to be able to live in Oregon and go to Washington and not pay sales tax.

So the no sales tax across the river is no more? When did they do that? I bet the local businesses were disappointed.

• 10 months later...

I haven’t been mugged yet or converted to a steampunk enthusiast but did have a fantastic brunch at Screen Door Eastside:

Chicken and Biscuit:

IMG_8085.thumb.jpeg.c11eb974c11412ada4ee553672133d44.jpeg

A colleague ordered the praline bacon…dayummm:

IMG_8083.thumb.jpeg.272b6b1c48146d37f30816442377bea3.jpeg

Still extremely sketchy in parts of downtown.  Hotel clerk said there was a shooting just down the street last night and their valet just quit as it wasn’t safe.  I changed hotels.

74F though.

IMG_8086.jpeg

Will be staying on the north edge of Buckman on the east side of the Willamette... any tips over there?  I have a couple of the food cart pods tagged on Google Maps.  

Anyone been to Luce?  https://www.luceportland.com/

Also, what's the general dress vibe in PDX?  I haven't been in 20 years when I used to go a lot for work.  Coming from Austin, I'm pretty easy going clothing-wise... are places like Noble Rot and Nostrana out if more casual?

3 hours ago, texasdago said:

Also, what's the general dress vibe in PDX?  I haven't been in 20 years when I used to go a lot for work.  Coming from Austin, I'm pretty easy going clothing-wise... are places like Noble Rot and Nostrana out if more casual?

Two nights here and more casual than Austin.

Did Jake’s Seafood tonight and it was fantastic.  It’s been 20+ years since I’ve eaten there and it’s still great with same old school vibe.  Apps, salads, and entrees were great.  Dungeness crab stuffed salmon was tip top.   

NW Portland is very cool and vibrant (reminded me of Portland I loved twenty years ago).  Great restaurants and bars everywhere.  

Avoid Old Town.

7 hours ago, Reese Bennett said:

No mention of Powell’s yet? Bunch of illiterates on here.

I find Powell's overwhelming. My wife is from the Portland area and loves going there when we're visiting. It makes me feel like I need a Valium just walking in that place.

Trying to figure out what to do with two teenagers for the first half-day... basically like from 3:00 on other than go eat at food carts.  Again, in the Buckman area, more or less.  Second day probably zoo, japanese garden, maybe falls on day two instead of day three.

Lots of sketchy shit all over Portland.  Be very aware of your surroundings at all times, especially with kids.  Homeless/open drug use problem here makes Austin look like Mayberry.

Violent crime way up per local clients we ate dinner with last night.

Great food options all over town but the smell of piss is all over town.  Kind of ruins the food scene.

Really, really sad what has happened to what used to be my favorite city to visit 15-20 years ago - a once great city.

I started going to Portland in the late 80’s and it was so cool back then. It was a big town with great taverns and fine seafood and much different before the influx of tech, austinism, and California hipsters.

Then moved there in 99 for three years. The homeless problem was starting in parts of downtown but the drug trade was mostly down in old town amongst all the anarchists and Wobblies. The foodie /restaurant boom was starting and there was so much cool shit happening. The craft brewery and coffee boom was exploding which was something that was still just starting in the Bay Area from where we were moving. Breweries were coming up with special brews that would only be at a certain tavern as long as five kegs lasted. The Oregon wine country was heating up. It was very special. We loved everything but the weather, and loved exploring the pacific NW from the San Juan’s to Idaho to Bend , St Helen’s and the coast.

Fast forward 20 years and all my friends are moving out, mostly to Idaho, Alaska, and Texas. The city and state are a mess.

On 6/27/2023 at 12:48 PM, Butch Had Not said:

It won't be dark until like 10 there so a drive to hood River might be a good little afternoon thing. Plenty of breweries and nice walking around. 

If you're going out to Multnomah Falls, it would be best to go early and on a week day.  Weekends are a mess.   There is limited parking.  But....   Like Butch said, go on out to Hood River.   The drive along the Columbia is pretty impressive.   

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Enjoying Buckman.  Great walkable area. Tons of food, bar, coffee options.  Love the quirkiness of the neighborhoods and the community feel as you walk around.  Hit up Cascade Brewing and Hawthorne Asylum.  Been walking all over this morning and really like the vibe of the area so far.

• 2 weeks later...
If you're going out to Multnomah Falls, it would be best to go early and on a week day.  Weekends are a mess.   There is limited parking.  But....   Like Butch said, go on out to Hood River.   The drive along the Columbia is pretty impressive.   

Got there yesterday at 6:30am, had to clear my head before my nephew’s funeral. Had a brisk walk up which is impossible later in the day when it gets crowded.

Between the funeral and the banquet, I drove my daughter around downtown and she people gawked.

Also, edibles in Portland are about 20% of what they cost in Chicago. I don’t partake but I’m happy to take some home for my wife and her friends.

Back from our trip.  Enjoyed PDX, as mentioned.  Thought time at Washington Park was absolutely worthwhile.  Easily one of the most beautiful urban parks I've seen in many years.  

We drove to the gorge to make our way to Mt Hood.  We knew Multnomah would be a mess so we made two other stops instead.  Our favorite was Horsetail Falls since you could go down low and get blasted by spray on a big boulder.  You would get soaked.  We then hiked up to Ponytail Falls which was excellent.  Had lunch at the Gorges Beer Company in Cascade Locks.  Recommended.  Then made our way through Hood River to do a loop around and over to Timberline.  

Pro Tip:  If you go to Crater Lake on a trip in Oregon, go swimming.  Yes, its cold (50 degrees on the surface when we went) but its a once-in-a-lifetime thing.  Do it.

Edit: photo of Horsetail Falls

image.thumb.png.0fe0ecf45589986e5560c400c858adf0.png

Edited by texasdago
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/12/2023 at 9:30 AM, texasdago said:

Back from our trip.  Enjoyed PDX, as mentioned.  Thought time at Washington Park was absolutely worthwhile.  Easily one of the most beautiful urban parks I've seen in many years.  

We drove to the gorge to make our way to Mt Hood.  We knew Multnomah would be a mess so we made two other stops instead.  Our favorite was Horsetail Falls since you could go down low and get blasted by spray on a big boulder.  You would get soaked.  We then hiked up to Ponytail Falls which was excellent.  Had lunch at the Gorges Beer Company in Cascade Locks.  Recommended.  Then made our way through Hood River to do a loop around and over to Timberline.  

Pro Tip:  If you go to Crater Lake on a trip in Oregon, go swimming.  Yes, its cold (50 degrees on the surface when we went) but its a once-in-a-lifetime thing.  Do it.

Edit: photo of Horsetail Falls

image.thumb.png.0fe0ecf45589986e5560c400c858adf0.png

House I’m staying at is basically in Washing Park. Beautiful area. So far I’ve avoided downtown, but we’re going to a Timbers game tonight. Our friend is a local, so they know their way around.

It was all sun today on mt hood and 75. Dreading the trip back to Texas, but I’ve been here in November and the SAD is no joke.

Joe’s donuts in Sandy did not disappoint on the way up to the mountain. And the kids I did the slide down the mountain a few too many times, but they loved it.