2021 College World Series Thread

TrashMaster G

1 minute ago, Hammerin Hank said:

The home plate umpiring has been pretty bad in every game I’ve watched which seems odd for a championship tournament. I’ve also seen the pitch clock enforced more than I have all year. It’s like they all got the same memo 

I hope they shitcan that clock this offseason.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Hammerin Hank said:

Vandy sucks at defense. Unreal how bad they’ve been 

1 minute ago, OU Sucks said:

Vandy is horribad at fundamentals

They’re an average team with two first round starting pitchers.

Edited by HenryJames
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Augustus said:

Throughout this tourney, I've repeatedly thought that Vandy just doesn't have the bats to win it all.  They only scratched out 3 runs, I think, against the insanely depleted NC State. Mon night was the anomaly.

They got dominated by 8 ERA pitchers after getting shut out by a 4.5 ERA guy. Covid bailed them out.

24 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

Not the point.  Sooner rather than later our hitters should have recognized what the CWS umps were calling as a strike zone.  All the whining and handwringing hasn’t changed a thing from day 1.

huh? the problem was no one knew what the zone was.

2 minutes ago, Augustus said:

Anybody else think Leiter's clearly better than Rocker?  They're both great, but I think Leiter's got the edge.

Based on what I have seen in the CWS I agree. But maybe Rocker just hasn't had his best stuff lately.

1 minute ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

… which I think contributes to some of Cam Williams’ fielding hiccups.  Big gloves make for adventure transferring from catch to throw.

Cam's looks reasonable sized, but he's a pretty good-sized dude.

That 2B looked like a CF or softball player dropping the landing ramp for that thing.

But, yeah, all the good infielders I knew used as small a glove as they could stand.  And broke it in more like a basket than the flytrap thing us OF and 1B used.  I actually found the basket breakin helpful in OF, after making the initial crease.

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

Not the point.  Sooner rather than later our hitters should have recognized what the CWS umps were calling as a strike zone.  All the whining and handwringing hasn’t changed a thing from day 1.

I mean we have been playing to drive up pitch counts all year.

Anyway the 2021 team will never play baseball again. Hopefully they do better next season making those kinds of adjustments in the future. Tulo is on it...maybe.

3 minutes ago, Augustus said:

Thus the need to protect when anything's close.

As I recall, Bednar got a zone where he could throw just high enough that it was a complete bitch to hit and really, really makes you think it's a ball.  There's not many legit or semi-legit strikes that can't be hit pretty well, but that high cheese is close to it.  He got a lot of leeway on the sides too, and that you just gotta protect the plate.

Half the time, we were bitching about high strikes, the other half we were bitching about swinging at the high cheese.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

huh? the problem was no one knew what the zone was.

The umps have been calling everything wide .. everything.  At some point, recognize the 17” plate is being treated as 21”and stop taking the stuff just off the plate.  Hitters have to adjust to pitchers, pitches, and the strike zone the umpire is calling.

6 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

… which I think contributes to some of Cam Williams’ fielding hiccups.  Big gloves make for adventure transferring from catch to throw.

Meh, tons of guys that play 3rd have bigger gloves. 

4 minutes ago, Hammerin Hank said:

In that case you swing at anything close with 2 strikes. Be aggressive 

yes I know that.  someone was saying that we should have figured out what the zone was that the umpires were calling.  I'm saying there never was a zone to figure out.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, DoneWithit said:

Meh, tons of guys that play 3rd have bigger gloves. 

It is a position that uses bigger gloves more often, but you can still go too big.  Or even break it in wrong.  A bigger glove has a "stickier" pocket, usually by design, but kind of inherently.

Cam certainly seems to have transfer problems.

9 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

As I recall, Bednar got a zone where he could throw just high enough that it was a complete bitch to hit and really, really makes you think it's a ball.  There's not many legit or semi-legit strikes that can't be hit pretty well, but that high cheese is close to it.  He got a lot of leeway on the sides too, and that you just gotta protect the plate.

Half the time, we were bitching about high strikes, the other half we were bitching about swinging at the high cheese.

Couldn't agree with you more there.  Calling the elevated fastball, out of the zone, a strike is about as shitty a thing an umpire can do.

This is looking like it could be out of reach soon.

• Hook 'Em 1