2021 College World Series Thread

TrashMaster G

6 minutes ago, PhillyD said:

I say Bednar goes 7.  I don't think he will be as dominant as he was against us, but I like the way the kids pitches.  I hate that he beat us, but he is good.  I think Vandy has to get 3 or 4 off him and I don't think they can do it.

I'd be ecstatic if Bednar goes 7 but don't see any way that happens.. no way. especially for a high K pitcher like he is. 

He's on 3 days rest after throwing after 97 pitches against you. I'm not expecting another 100 pitch effort but if he can shoulder the load and get 6 innings. that's perfect. 

The name of the game is get a lead..and get it to Sim's

1 minute ago, 40acredropout said:

They had to face Ty twice as well.  I still think we are the better team but it doesn't make a shit because they won it on the field.  Hope they finish off Vandy tonight... that's something we should all  be able to get behind.

Yeah, ace against ace, I think they match up well with us. But, they only have the one. We match up much better with their other starting pitchers. And that's why we'd be favored in a straight up 3 game series. But, if the game is always Ty vs Bednar, it looks pretty 50-50 to me or maybe slightly tilted toward MSU. 

2 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

We would have beat either of these teams in straight up best of 3 series. But, that isn't Omaha. Next year we win game 1, and all the ones after that. 

I think MSU had the slight edge on us.  All of our games against MSU were extremely tight and seemed to come down to little things that just didn't fall right, but I think their hitting gave them a very slight edge.  I wasn't impressed at all with Vandy overall.

1 hour ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

MSU fans at the CWS far outnumbered any other fanbase from my observations while in Omaha and I think everyone of them flashed the horns down at me.  

The Omaha college kids in town for the summer love them some horns down as well. Learned that at The Blatt after the game on Saturday.

2 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

MSU fans at the CWS far outnumbered any other fanbase from my observations while in Omaha and I think everyone of them flashed the horns down at me.  

They were, generally, very cool to me. Though I did see some jackasses doing the Horns Down in the stands. They were very eager to see us beat Tennessee.

Hey MSU douchebags if you want to be a bitch when you play us, that's fine but I am going to share a beer with the cool opposing fans not you assholes.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 2

If Vandy wants to win, they have to make the 1st or 2nd inning rough on Bednar.  A 20+ pitch 1st inning could wear him down with just 3 days rest and affect the rest of his outing.

Of course they did the exact opposite last night with Harding.  Swung early and often and gave him easy innings.  I'm not sure he was even at 20 pitches after 2 innings.  

Something as simple as walking Bradfield to start the game could be enough to affect his first inning and the whole outing.

Evidently our LF, Cumbest, is out after the fastball to his forearm last night. so Skinner will step in. 

Neither can hit a curveball..and I would say skinner can at least maybe drop a bunt if needed, is a better outfielder, and faster. 

Just now, msudawg said:

Evidently our LF, Cumbest, is out after the fastball to his forearm last night. so Skinner will step in. 

Neither can hit a curveball..and I would say skinner can at least maybe drop a bunt if needed, is a better outfielder, and faster. 

If Covid won't take out their opponents, Vandy will just do it themselves.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Valmy77 said:

Also I just want to say I thought our showing was very strong in Omaha. I thought only MSU had more or a comparable number of fans and I saw all the teams play at some point.

I think Tennessee had slightly more.  If you blinked you might have missed them though.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

They were, generally, very cool to me. Though I did see some jackasses doing the Horns Down in the stands. They were very eager to see us beat Tennessee.

Hey MSU douchebags if you want to be a bitch when you play us, that's fine but I am going to share a beer with the cool opposing fans not you assholes.

I think overall the quality of fans at the CWS is pretty good.  Most of the real douchebags aren't fans enough to make the effort to go.  Excepting of course the Vandy whistler.  It's night and day compared to my experience when I've gone to away games.  Granted, most of my experience for true away games is at collie station so I'm sure that skews it.

I will split the difference and predict 6 innings for Bednar.  I suspect the star reliever will be able to go three pretty easily, but if Vandy somehow ties it up things will be dicey.  Are we sure State has the better bullpen?  

Hard to believe Bednar is a freshman.  Fantastic job being a pitcher as opposed to a thrower.  I think his ability to adjust is what gets him through 6 instead of 5. 

• Hook 'Em 1