2021 College World Series Thread

TrashMaster G

12 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Is it acceptable with you that a player who is 100% vaccinated unknowingly spreads the virus to someone that isn’t vaccinated?

That doesn't really happen, which is why the cdc guidance removed the need for masks and social distancing for the vaccinated.  If the reports of the ncaa testing vaccinated people is true, I don't get it.

25 minutes ago, midtown said:

If true.  I have a hard time believing its true.   Otherwise I assume the NC State Athletics director would be screaming at the top of his lungs on ESPN by now

Yup. And the coach. 

NC State done been knew they are at fault.

The protocols, while pointless, were known by all participants. All participants had a chance to avoid what just happened to NCST. What part of this are you having trouble with? If it’s the protocol, the time to address that was a few months ago, when you still had time to vax your whole team if your objections were disregarded 

I’m having troubles with if we’re saying the goal is to protect public health out of one side of the motive but also say “fuck em, they’ve had 6 months to get vaccinated-play stupid games-FAFO”out of the other side, Which one is it?

Protocols are dumb, like you said. Just like protocols with kids, summer camps, masks for vaccinated being basically changed overnight after being challenged last month.

I’m just wondering if we’re cool with players from UT, MSSt, and Vandy infecting others. If yes the party on

Both can be true.  NC State fucked up not getting vaxed given the protocols that are in place that everyone was aware of.  It can also be true that it is absolutely fucking ridiculous to continue to have testing protocols for college athletes at this point period.   And if they went and tested all of the vaccinated NCSU athletes (when no other vaccinated players are getting tested), then the NCAA has absolutely lost their minds.   And no, I don't give 2 shits if a vaxed or unvaxed college kid gives it to an unvaxed old at this point.   If you are at increased risk from COVID and have decided not to get vaxed, you have assumed the risk, period.

Edited by Skipper
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

Everyone says they knew the rules.  I’m not sure anyone knew the rules yesterday. Nor does anyone show a full understanding today. Also not sure what triggered testing all the vaccinated players. Maybe 2 positives is “significant transmission in the community”.  I wouldn’t interpret it that way, but do I know?

I would imagine that everyone that “knew the rules going in”, never imagined fully vaccinated players would be ruled out. I’m sure they thought the worst case scenario would be what happened in yesterday’s game. 

Given HIPAA, I think we never get the full story about medical issues for legal reasons.  Also, I've heard County Healthcare officials mentioned once or twice in this thread.  So it's possible the NCAA is not the only entity driving the events.

The most ridiculous part of this action is the timing and testing of selected vaccinated players (NCSU). 

Now unless all  CWS players are tested, there is an inherent bias in the result based upon application of the testing. ...(Not that NCAA is accountable to anyone in real time). 

They should have left it at only unvaccinated players to be "fair" and c/w the intent of the policy. Also,  teams that have gone home  cannot be accurately tested so this is a selective bias that violates  most basic judicial principles. Timing and selectivity of this testing would not likely hold up IMO in the "real" world.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, 27-25 said:

Given HIPAA, I think we never get the full story about medical issues for legal reasons. 

I bet we do.  We may never know names but there are absolutely enough pissed off NC State players and staff that the story of exactly what went down will get out and frankly it's probably being written right now.

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Both can be true.  NC State fucked up not getting vaxed given the protocols that are in place that everyone was aware of.  It can also be true that it is absolutely fucking ridiculous to continue to have testing protocols for college athletes at this point period.   And if they went and tested all of the vaccinated NCSU athletes (when no other vaccinated players are getting tested), then the NCAA has absolutely lost their minds.   And no, I don't give 2 shits if a vaxed or unvaxed college kid gives it to an unvaxed old at this point.   If you are at increased risk from COVID and have decided not to get vaxed, you have assumed the risk, period.

Great post. Out of rep but will come back later tonight.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

Everyone says they knew the rules.  I’m not sure anyone knew the rules yesterday. Nor does anyone show a full understanding today. Also not sure what triggered testing all the vaccinated players. Maybe 2 positives is “significant transmission in the community”.  I wouldn’t interpret it that way, but do I know?

I would imagine that everyone that “knew the rules going in”, never imagined fully vaccinated players would be ruled out. I’m sure they thought the worst case scenario would be what happened in yesterday’s game. 

Jfc, give it a goddamn rest!  The horse is not only dead, it's been beaten to a bloody, disgusting pulp and the buzzards are waiting for you to get the fuck out of the way so that they can have lunch and clean up the mess.

Move. The fuck. On!!!

Christ Almighty!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Please tell me / confirm the surly antivaxxers aren’t college graduates ?

Texas grad with BS Civil Engineering

Pro vaccine, but not going to take or give my kids an experimental vaccine that has not gone through any trails. Operation warp speed doesn't sound too appealing for medical research.

6 hours ago, texifornia said:

The NCAA doesn't test vaccinated players/staff, so you're guaranteed to be good to go if you get it done.

Good to go, guaranteed. 

Except you aren't -

4 more positive tests came back, all from vaccinated individuals.

Either the vaccine isn't as effective or the testing is flawed and there's false positives.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Zeus said:

Pro vaccine, but not going to take or give my kids an experimental vaccine that has not gone through any trails. Operation warp speed doesn't sound too appealing for medical research.

Good to go, guaranteed. 

Except you aren't -

Either the vaccine isn't as effective or the testing is flawed and there's false positives.

Good to go play baseball and not fuck your team over, don't be obtuse.

Edited by texifornia

2 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Shouldn't be necessary, transmission doesn't happen outside.

Certainly something for the hotels to worry about though.

Ah I wish you were in my city council meeting when the Mayor shut down the beach (outside, sun, sand) last summer lol

1 minute ago, texifornia said:

Good to go play baseball and not fuck your team over, don't be obtuse.

They did end up "fucking their team over" even though vaccinated they tested positive. You posted that vaccinated didn't have to test.

that health dept will test all three teams, it's their job to protect public health 
NCAA should have changed the protocal to reflect the times. I was in Omaha for 5 days and it was a free for all. No mask, strangers wanting to hug, packed everywhere. The players are not the issue at this point.

Not to let NC state off the hook. They should have gotten vaccinated, but that was more critical a month ago for them to be able to compete. At this point they should drop the tests.

2 minutes ago, Zeus said:

They did end up "fucking their team over" even though vaccinated they tested positive. You posted that vaccinated didn't have to test.

For standard testing, they only tested unvaccinated players/staff. If the whole team is vaxxed, no testing is done at all.

The vaccinated players were only tested after the initial positive.

Is it great science? Nah. Is it really easy to solve for? Yes. The chances of side effects after the first day or so are virtually nil.

Edited by texifornia
  • Haha 1

When I was in basic training, the drill sergeants told us that if everyone in the platoon passed inspection of our sock drawer or whatever, we’d get to go to the regional pro wrestling night in Lawton and eat candy until we all puked. If one person failed, no Okie wrestling night and M&Ms.

The purpose of requiring 100% compliance was to ensure that we all policed ourselves. Fairness and other concerns weren’t relevant, just providing the motivation for everyone to get it together and for the high speed folk to help out the blue falcons. If you let your battle buddy fail, it’s your failure too.

Uncle Sam didn’t owe us bad wrestling and tummy aches, but it was good enough motivation at the time to make sure everyone had their act together. I think I had a pizza party in 5th grade using the same concept.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Mole said:

When I was in basic training, the drill sergeants told us that if everyone in the platoon passed inspection of our sock drawer or whatever, we’d get to go to the regional pro wrestling night in Lawton and eat candy until we all puked. If one person failed, no Okie wrestling night and M&Ms.

The purpose of requiring 100% compliance was to ensure that we all policed ourselves. Fairness and other concerns weren’t relevant, just providing the motivation for everyone to get it together and for the high speed folk to help out the blue falcons. If you let your battle buddy fail, it’s your failure too.

Uncle Sam didn’t owe us bad wrestling and tummy aches, but it was good enough motivation at the time to make sure everyone had their act together. I think I had a pizza party in 5th grade using the same concept.

Blanket par-tee!

Just now, texifornia said:

For standard testing, they only tested unvaccinated players/staff. If the whole team is vaxxed, no testing is done at all.

Is it great science? Nah. Is it really easy to do? Yes. The chances of side effects after the first day or so are virtually nil.

This is the best part, when people making the rules don't use any logic or reason. Love it.

What if you've already had COVID and you have the antibodies? Are you still required to get the vax? What if your doctor advises against it? Just do what the all knowing NCAA says instead?

The final thing, if 4 vaccinated players tested positive, aren't they going to have to change the testing protocol immediately?

10 minutes ago, Mole said:

how was wrestling and how many m&m's did you eat ?

7 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

how was wrestling and how many m&m's did you eat ?

If you embrace it for what it is, small town professional wrestling is awesome. No idea on how many bags of M&Ms.

Edited by Mole

1 hour ago, Sawbonz said:

The protocols, while pointless, were known by all participants. All participants had a chance to avoid what just happened to NCST. What part of this are you having trouble with? If it’s the protocol, the time to address that was a few months ago, when you still had time to vax your whole team if your objections were disregarded 

Sort of. Or you could say that the protocol was ok then when we still had 1000+ people a day dying and now it’s sort of Pointless, has outlived it’s usefulness, and if the NCAA had any sense they’d have rethought the need for said protocol. 
they are a bureaucracy so we don't expect rational thought from them,  but that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t. 
The yankees had something like 9 or 11 guys test positive that had been vaccinated- they are asymptomatic and MLB said play on and changed their protocols. You know, because they were human beings capable of rational thought. 
None of this alleviates the abject stupidity of the pack. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, WBT said:

That doesn't really happen, which is why the cdc guidance removed the need for masks and social distancing for the vaccinated.  If the reports of the ncaa testing vaccinated people is true, I don't get it.

It was a rule crafted before that cdc guideline, they put the protocol in place and were too legalistic to let common sense win the day. Par for the course. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Sort of. Or you could say that the protocol was ok then when we still had 1000+ people a day dying and now it’s sort of Pointless, has outlived it’s usefulness, and if the NCAA had any sense they’d have rethought the need for said protocol. 
they are a bureaucracy so we don't expect rational thought from them,  but that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t. 
The yankees had something like 9 or 11 guys test positive that had been vaccinated- they are asymptomatic and MLB said play on and changed their protocols. You know, because they were human beings capable of rational thought. 
None of this alleviates the abject stupidity of the pack. 

Again we are talking about the NCAA

Why do people think that if you're vaccinated against something you will never test positive? Vaccinations don't create an impenetrable shield against a virus, they teach your body how to fight it once it gets in. Which, you know, means the virus gets in and you would test positive for having it for a short but non-zero amount of time. 

• Hook 'Em 7

I’m going to go out on a limb here and say the women’s college World Series had similar protocols in place traveling to Okie City.  

So, all of the coaches in both leagues managed their way through it except the guy at Appalachian Aggy and he’s the victim here?

2 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

I’m going to go out on a limb here and say the women’s college World Series had similar protocols in place traveling to Okie City.  

So, all of the coaches in both leagues managed their way through it except the guy at Appalachian Aggy and he’s the victim here?

Texas or Ms State is the victim here. Vandy got a huge undeserved advantage. 

• Rage+1 1

52 minutes ago, Zeus said:

Good to go, guaranteed. 

Except you aren't -

Once I read the bolded part, I ignored everything else.  That is just factually incorrect. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Texas or Ms State is the victim here. Vandy got a huge undeserved advantage. 

Starting with Stanford gifting them a win to remain in the tournament.  Vandy is the very definition of "asterisk".  They have zero business still being in this thing.  None.

Edited by Cajun
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Starting with Stanford gifting them a win to remain in the tournament.  Vandy is the very definition of "asterisk".  They have zero business still being in this thing.  None.

The Stanford thing has NOTHING to do with an asterisk.  It's baseball.  Shit like that happens. 

Why do people think that if you're vaccinated against something you will never test positive? Vaccinations don't create an impenetrable shield against a virus, they teach your body how to fight it once it gets in. Which, you know, means the virus gets in and you would test positive for having it for a short but non-zero amount of time. 
Especially if it isn't a vaccine, according to the FDA.
  • Hook 'Em 1