2021 College World Series Thread

TrashMaster G

Just now, Bartles said:

I think part of the point of still having testing/protocols is so that the self-interested players and coaches don't spread COVID to unvaccinated workers at Omaha hotels, restaurants, etc. The first group used "personal choice" not to be vaxed, the other group is rightly worried about getting fired for missing work, haven't been told how simple the vax process is, or simply can't afford to miss out on the paycheck if they get symptoms from the vaccine. 

The “other group” has made the same “personal choice.”  

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Bartles said:

I think part of the point of still having testing/protocols is so that the self-interested players and coaches don't spread COVID to unvaccinated workers at Omaha hotels, restaurants, etc. The first group used "personal choice" not to be vaxed, the other group is rightly worried about getting fired for missing work, haven't been told how simple the vax process is, or simply can't afford to miss out on the paycheck if they get symptoms from the vaccine. 

NCAA cya 

1 minute ago, Don Johnson said:

Those are the rules. And multiple posters have huge boners over the punitive aspect of this. 

But from a health/safety aspect, there’s no difference between the NCST fully vaccinated players and the fully vaccinated players on other teams. 

I guess we're just arguing different points. We're saying it'd have been easy for NCSt to never have gotten to this point, and you're saying the rules don't reflect actual health/safety.

Which... are all true. Because NCAA.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Had Enough said:

I think we can all agree the umps should be tested - vaccinated or not. Maybe we should assume they’re positive and get em out.

Ultimately we are all accepting the risks here. That includes Vanderbilt players and staff of playing with and against unvaccinated players. They played a partial season knowing that no one or few were vaccinated. Tulowitzki still wears a face covering. Everyone is making risk based decisions.

Now let’s assume all of Vandy is vaccinated. What’s the risk to them?

I’m generally a rule follower, but these are rules that are inconsistent at best given the entirety of the circumstances.

rhe risk is they get it, asystmatic and then carry it back home 

Just now, Don Johnson said:

Those are the rules. And multiple posters have huge boners over the punitive aspect of this. 

But from a health/safety aspect, there’s no difference between the NCST fully vaccinated players and the fully vaccinated players on other teams. 

Covid rules often are ridiculous and make no medical sense. I agree. But not getting vaccinated is also ridiculous and makes no medical sense, especially when you know the Covid rules and how it could sink your team. Lots of stupid going on.

But, you know, it's done now.

At least Rocker is out until Wednesday. 

Time to eliminate another SECSECSEC tonight.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Bartles said:

My wife and I caught the virus back in February. We are both healthy and yet got knocked down quite bad. The worst part was having to take care of our 2 and 5 year olds during that time. I am afraid some people see the world through their narrow lens and don't appreciate how their bad choices can affect others.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

I think we can all agree the umps should be tested - vaccinated or not. Maybe we should assume they’re positive and get em out.

Ultimately we are all accepting the risks here. That includes Vanderbilt players and staff of playing with and against unvaccinated players. They played a partial season knowing that no one or few were vaccinated. Tulowitzki still wears a face covering. Everyone is making risk based decisions.

Now let’s assume all of Vandy is vaccinated. What’s the risk to them?

I’m generally a rule follower, but these are rules that are inconsistent at best given the entirety of the circumstances.

Those umps need to be tested for being blind and dumb. 

1 minute ago, ShowMeALoss said:

Is there any official announcement from NCAA saying how many vaccinated players also got Covid or is it coming from NC State people? While the vaccine is effective against catching the virus, it's more effective in keeping people from getting very sick. That's the whole point - don't get hospitalized.

Kansas was eliminated from the Big 12 MBB tournament due to covid protocol and Texas got extra rest because of it. They went on to win it all. We are facing the same exact situation that benefited Texas before but hurting us now. I didn't complain then and i won't complain now.

I got COVID a few weeks ago.  The only reason I even got tested is because we were visiting a relative who is a NICU nurse who was 7 months into a high risk pregnancy and she insisted on us taking a test when we arrived.  I had been fully vaccinated for over a month.  I isolated and felt mildly crappy for about a day and a half, and tested negative by day 3.

9 minutes ago, ShowMeALoss said:

Kansas was eliminated from the Big 12 MBB tournament due to covid protocol and Texas got extra rest because of it. They went on to win it all. We are facing the same exact situation that benefited Texas before but hurting us now. I didn't complain then and i won't complain now.

Actually, I believe MBB benefitted from elite coaching…

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, conVINCEd said:

I got COVID a few weeks ago.  The only reason I even got tested is because we were visiting a relative who is a NICU nurse who was 7 months into a high risk pregnancy and she insisted on us taking a test when we arrived.  I had been fully vaccinated for over a month.  I isolated and felt mildly crappy for about a day and a half, and tested negative by day 3.

Vaccines are deemed effective if they prevent you from getting severely sick. Hospitalization rate among vaccinated people is extremely low. You can catch the virus if you're around sick people but it's extremely unlikely to grow and make you very sick. I think a lot of people are missing this point.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Those Omaha workers made the same decision as the players/coaches. Maybe it’s those persons who gave it to the NCState players.

People that really want the vaccine have gotten it. Well except some kids.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, ShowMeALoss said:

Vaccines are deemed effective if they prevent you from getting severely sick. Hospitalization rate among vaccinated people is extremely low. You can catch the virus if you're around sick people but it's extremely unlikely to grow and make you very sick. I think a lot of people are missing this point.

plus your microchip will sync with your iPhone 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StruggleBus said:

It’s dumb. They are playing in front of thousands of maskless fans. No reason to pretend to give a fuck

Outdoors too.  Compared to football/basketball season…. How many baseball/softball games were cancelled do to possible COVID exposure?  I bet nationally it was a handful.  

Checking some school web sites, Vanderbilt (private) is requiring all students be vaccinated for 2021-22. Other SECs are "strongly encouraging" the vaccine, and Mississippi State straight out says they can't require it due to state law at this time.

There's gonna be pressure within most power football conferences to scrap all COVID testing, with NCSU baseball being their Exhibit A. I have no idea how that will play out.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Pimphand said:

Just wait until antibody dependent enhancement kicks in this fall. Of course you will have a prebuilt excuse to blame the people who refused your experimental gene therapy.

Gene therapy? Go on, this should be really good

image.jpeg.28984da11690ea96bf79eb947ba06756.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Bartles said:

Checking some school web sites, Vanderbilt (private) is requiring all students be vaccinated for 2021-22. Other SECs are "strongly encouraging" the vaccine, and Mississippi State straight out says they can't require it due to state law at this time.

There's gonna be pressure within most power football conferences to scrap all COVID testing, with NCSU baseball being their Exhibit A. I have no idea how that will play out.

It should play out with testing being scrapped. No one is at risk unless they have made the choice to not get vaccinated. 

2 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Don’t kids have to submit vaccination records for the fall ?

a friends daughter is trying out today for a Texas university’s dance squad and she had to submit all her vaccination records 

Texas just requires Meningitis unless they are going into health carriers. 

https://www.dshs.texas.gov/immunize/school/college-requirements.aspx

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bartles said:

The SEC and ESPN will make sure this gets done.    And I kid not about ESPN being involved.  $$$$$$$$$$$ screams 

1 minute ago, Sawbonz said:

Other than one followed the rules and the other didn’t?

Followed rules?  There were no rules broken. And certainly not by the fully vaccinated NCST players. 

But clearly I was talking about both teams’ fully vaccinated players from a health/safety standpoint. There is no difference. There could be multiple Texas players who could test positive for Covid. They haven’t been on lockdown. The CDC guidelines allow for them to rightfully live a normal life. 

They aren’t tested because there’s almost zero risk. Same for the NCST fully vaccinated players. 

+ 5 more quotes (click to expand)
aginlakeway said:

Yes it is a fact.

The NCAA only tested nonvaccinated players. Those nonvaccinated players testing positive is what prompted the testing of the vaccinated players.

Again, this is all ridiculous. But it is a fact that if the entire team had been vaccinated, this wouldn't have happened because then no players would have been tested. I don't agree with this. But those are the facts.
94chem said:

...and unfortunately, I am concerned that it shows how the unvaxxed are going to be causing more bureaucratic and government control for everyone.

The ones who aren't kowtowing to a gov't pushed vaccine are the ones causing more gov't control?

2 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

Followed rules?  There were no rules broken. And certainly not by the fully vaccinated NCST players. 

But clearly I was talking about both teams’ fully vaccinated players from a health/safety standpoint. There is no difference. There could be multiple Texas players who could test positive for Covid. They haven’t been on lockdown. The CDC guidelines allow for them to rightfully live a normal life. 

They aren’t tested because there’s almost zero risk. Same for the NCST fully vaccinated players. 

The ncaa protocol (rule) for testing is it is waived if your team is fully vaccinated. One team followed that rule and one chose to put themselves at the mercy of the whims of the NCAA

• Hook 'Em 5

4 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

It should play out with testing being scrapped. No one is at risk unless they have made the choice to not get vaccinated. 

I’d like to see if anything has been documented about a team with a possible case or more actually transmitted the virus to another team as a result of a game.   WE had several games at all levels  in both football and basketball last fall and winter were a team a couple of days later had to go through that protocols where the team they just played went on with their schedules.   Mind you those two sports are a heck of lot more at risk at exposure due the physical nature unlike baseball where direct physical contact is rare and the closest a player might stand next to another player is when a base runner is on a base or the batters box.   I bet team to team exposure is almost zero. 

13 minutes ago, Bartles said:

It would be smarter to just get vaccinated.  

Stupid people are such a joy.

1 minute ago, Dr. Beeper said:

TexasGolf and BBQHorn are negging every one of these posts, and I just gotta ask guys, why?  I’ll hang up and listen. 

Because some of our fan base is no different than aggy. It’s time people recognize that. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

16 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

a friends daughter is trying out today for a Texas university’s dance squad and she had to submit all her vaccination records 

6 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Large Texas public uni, dance team required vaccination records 

this thread is getting a bit dry with all the repetitive virus bullshit. why don't you just post the g'damn pics already  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Sawbonz said:

The ncaa protocol (rule) for testing is it is waived if your team is fully vaccinated. One team followed that rule and one chose to put themselves at the mercy of the whims of the NCAA

Agreed.  But no difference from an actual safety/health standpoint.  The only difference is that one group was allowed to be tested and the other not. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

Agreed.  But no difference from an actual safety/health standpoint.  The only difference is that one group was allowed to be tested and the other not. 

I’m not sure why you’re still harping on this.  But you do you. NC State fucked around and found out. The NCAA gave them an out and they didn’t take it.

I’m thankful Texas is responsible and ensured this wouldn’t happen to us. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 5

Just now, Js1 said:

I’m not sure why you’re still harping on this.  But you do you. NC State fucked around and found out.

Yep, fuck em. It's now almost July and teams are still fucking around. Goober Carolina coach.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, Js1 said:

I’m not sure why you’re still harping on this.  But you do you. NC State fucked around and found out.

What I’m “harping on” is the science behind this punishment.  I prefer for rules/punishments to make sense and unfortunately this one doesn’t.

NCST has enough fully vaccinated players to play today. They were allowed to play yesterday and should be allowed to play today and next week. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Why would you test them if they're vaccinated?

Because I want them gone and replaced with another crew that can’t call balls and strikes. It was a joke. Sorta.

But devil’s advocate says why test NCState players that were vaccinated. Some will say they can still get it. Ok. So the Texas team could get it from hotel staff even though they’ve been vaccinated. You gotta draw the line somewhere I suppose.

2 hours ago, HenryJames said:

The Nazis had masks that they made the Jews wear.

Actually, the Jews would have fared much better had they been wearing masks in those rooms. 

This thread has turned to the sublime.  Doesn't matter if they were asymptomatic, or your politics, or NCAA is ridiculous, etc.  The fucking rules were there weeks ahead of time in black and white.  If you have non-vaxx players on your travel roster, they will be tested.  If they come up positive, no matter their range of symptoms, they will not play baseball in Omaha.  How are some of you dipshits not getting this?  

Just now, Had Enough said:

But devil’s advocate says why test NCState players that were vaccinated. Some will say they can still get it. Ok. So the Texas team could get it from hotel staff even though they’ve been vaccinated. 

This. They could get it from anywhere because they’ve all been rightly told they can ditch the mask and live life. They are of no risk, same as he NCST vaccinated players. 

But people are enjoying the punitive aspect of this instead of the logic behind it. 

4 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

What I’m “harping on” is the science behind this punishment.  I prefer for rules/punishments to make sense and unfortunately this one doesn’t.

NCST has enough fully vaccinated players to play today. They were allowed to play yesterday and should be allowed to play today and next week. 

Team has to be 100% vaccinated, right?  

Sounds like they had less than 100%.  

Were NC State players vaccinated before College World Series? 'I don’t try to indoctrinate my kids'

Adam Sparks
Nashville Tennessean

4 minutes ago, Lobo said:

The fucking rules were there weeks ahead of time in black and white.  If you have non-vaxx players on your travel roster, they will be tested.  If they come up positive, no matter their range of symptoms, they will not play baseball in Omaha.  

Who is really arguing that point?  I think we all agree, if you are not vaccinated and test positive you should not be allowed to play. 

I believe that covers two NCST players. Not enough to make the team forfeit. 

Edited by Don Johnson
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

Team has to be 100% vaccinated, right?  

Sounds like they had less than 100%.  

And they should be allowed to play with the less than 100% who were fully vaccinated and allowed to play yesterday. Because they have the same coverage as other fully vaccinated players. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

This. They could get it from anywhere because they’ve all been rightly told they can ditch the mask and live life. They are of no risk, same as he NCST vaccinated players. 

But people are enjoying the punitive aspect of this instead of the logic behind it. 

No one is enjoying it. You are harping on this rule that all 64 teams agreed to at the start of the postseason. NC State could have walked across from their ballpark to the CVS at any point during the season, got all players vaccinated and be playing today (or off Bc they won yesterday with a full squad and be in the finals). 

Its not some made up rule the NCAA decided at 11:59am yesterday morning.  The unvaccinated players are shitty teammates who cost their school a chance at a CWS title and the AD and coach should be getting skewered for being aggy about vaccines. 

Stop blaming the NCAA

• Hook 'Em 4

Just now, Js1 said:

No one is enjoying it. You are harping on this rule that all 64 teams agreed to at the start of the postseason. NC State could have walked across from their ballpark to the CVS at any point during the season, got all players vaccinated and be playing today (or off Bc they won yesterday with a full squad and be in the finals). 

Its not some made up rule the NCAA decided at 11:59am yesterday morning.  The unvaccinated players are shitty teammates who cost their school a chance at a CWS title and the AD and coach should be getting skewered for being aggy about vaccines. 

Stop blaming the NCAA

Why were they allowed to play yesterday?  Why were the vaccinated players not tested during the game like the rest of the team?

• Hook 'Em 1

I’m not going to cry for NC State. They had their choice and they chose poorly. It’s poor management of the players from a strategic standpoint. It would be like overworking your ace pitcher during meaningless innings and not having him ready for the important moments. Or using your star QB as a battering ram in the national championship game, giving him a dead arm, and being forced to roll with a squinting freshman INT machine who only got a small handful of snaps. It’s just poor thinking.

The protocol makes sense from the standpoint of encouraging vaccinations. Wave a carrot for 100% compliance and you can get some peer pressure (or coaching pressure) to get the shot. It makes sense from that perspective.

Outside of encouraging vaccinations, it doesn’t make sense if you try to think too much about the logic of testing/contact tracing only some vaccinated players (meaning only players on non-compliant teams). As a carrot and stick, it makes perfect sense; if you think about it much more than that, it starts to break your brain.

Edited by Mole
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

19 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

Not allowed, required. NCST fucked around and found out. Their shit for brains coach won’t learn anything from it I’m sure