2021-2022 hunting thread

markstanco

I decided to go dove hunting Saturday morning because I probably won't get to go again before the season closes. We had some heavy fog that didn't clear up until around 8:30. Still managed to get 7 by 10:00. It was frustrating once they started flying because I missed 3-4 really easy birds. Anyway, decided to grill those things up that night and they turned out pretty well.

IMG_3721.thumb.jpeg.0768f169e60beefb4549e5534ba7aa63.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

Last weekend, I went dove hunting in/around Artesia, NM.  The MO there is to stake out around a water hole (desert type area) in the early morning and late afternoon.  A lot of the land is state or federal, so no permission is needed for hunting.  My buddy who knows the area set us up on a particular frac pond, and we proceeded to limit out three hunts in a row.  There were thousands of birds.  Literally.  Amazing, maybe the best dove shooting I've ever had in 45 years of it. 

My buddy set up some dove decoys, and the birds were flocking into that spread.  Crazy.

• Hook 'Em 2

34 minutes ago, CycleTex87 said:

Last weekend, I went dove hunting in/around Artesia, NM.  The MO there is to stake out around a water hole (desert type area) in the early morning and late afternoon.  A lot of the land is state or federal, so no permission is needed for hunting.  My buddy who knows the area set us up on a particular frac pond, and we proceeded to limit out three hunts in a row.  There were thousands of birds.  Literally.  Amazing, maybe the best dove shooting I've ever had in 45 years of it. 

My buddy set up some dove decoys, and the birds were flocking into that spread.  Crazy.

That's awesome.

I went to El Campo last Sunday.  I got 8.  I missed a few easy ones I should have had.

6 hours ago, USCATX said:

I built a wood jig to support it on the flat bed, then cut six steel pipe rollers and jacked up the blind with a floor jack and inserted the rollers.  I tied the blind off to another truck and then moved the flatbed forward.  Then I installed two legs on the blind and kept moving on the rollers. Finally I flipped the jig around and had my boys stand on it to lever it while installed the other two legs.  My stand is 3 miles down a tough to access road, but even then I can’t recommend this unless you absolutely have to do it. 

Nicely done.  Seems like you thought it out ahead of time.  I can remember building a big, heavy wooden blind out of treated lumber and plywood that I intended on mounting on some old scaffolding I had.  Engineering marvel to get that thing upright.  

I share the ranch with my old man who is super OCD about stuff like a blind tipping over.  I was cracking up when he pulled out the 8' level and a bag of gravel to make sure the legs were all even.  Then, each leg gets anchored with a steel form stake and a bunch of tie wire, and we put a mobile home anchor in the middle with guy wires and a 1/4" cable with a turnbuckle for good measure.  Driving those stakes sucks regardless, but it really sucks in the Hill Country.  

15 hours ago, CycleTex87 said:

This isn't the first time I've heard of this. Artesia isn't all that far from Scurry County. Might need to call some distant New Mexico cousins and go check it out next year. 

16 hours ago, Publiushorn said:

I decided to go dove hunting Saturday morning because I probably won't get to go again before the season closes. We had some heavy fog that didn't clear up until around 8:30. Still managed to get 7 by 10:00. It was frustrating once they started flying because I missed 3-4 really easy birds. Anyway, decided to grill those things up that night and they turned out pretty well.

IMG_3721.thumb.jpeg.0768f169e60beefb4549e5534ba7aa63.jpeg

The old ways are often the best ways.  Bacon wrapped bliss.....

Ok….does anyone have an extra box of 30/06 they’d be willing to part with? I just burned through most of mine dialing the rifle in…don’t want to go into opening weekend with literally a handful of rounds in my pocket.

I’ll pay a fair premium. And you’d be helping a brother out.

https://ammoseek.com/ammo/30-06

Prices are higher than pterodactyl tits, but with ammoseek I was able to find the specific Creedmoor and 7mag rounds that I prefer for only 2.5x what they were 18 months ago. Which is better than 4-5x what the small shops are selling them for and definitely better than getting in line at Academy at 5am with all the other jackasses

23 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Welp, new batteries in the Spypoint didn't get it to start transmitting again. Guess I'll just have to keep going out there every weekend to check it manually.

Is it less than two years old?  I made a warranty claim on one that was taking in water and they sent me a new one.

18 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Have a heart trap. Approach it calmly and put a .22 in the head. Don't be a pussy and get scared, though. They can smell that and will spray. Maybe substitute a pellet rifle for a .22.

I read that they spray when you put them down, which I would hope to avoid obviously. Is that true or internety bullshit?  Really don’t want to deal with any spray if I can help it. 

Will definitely spray if shot in trap.  If caught in a #2 coil spring that was set for fox, and you shoot one, you can come back the next weekend and there will just be a foot left.  Easy disposal via our buzzard friends.   

Maybe not the best result at your house but that’s all I got.  Maybe work on where it’s digging under your fence.

Edited by davidg

7 hours ago, hookemATL said:

I read that they spray when you put them down, which I would hope to avoid obviously. Is that true or internety bullshit?  Really don’t want to deal with any spray if I can help it. 

This is accurate. Yard stunk for a week and my hav a hart stayed outside for a year the last time I did this.

20 hours ago, hookemATL said:

Bought a cheap cam from Academy and put it in my backyard to see what was digging around and under my fence in various spots. 

any tips on dealing with skunks in residential areas?

D1C49BAF-C66E-485A-959B-C06AAADBF3B2.jpeg

Leave it be and strategically place opened cans of wet cat food away from your house.  It's crack to them.  Then reinforce the areas under the fence with bricks, etc to keep them from digging.  Messing with a dead skunk sucks.

If you want to be more discrete, just dump the wet cat food around neighbors house so there are no cans.  Reinforce the fence.  #profit.

Edited by BabaYaga
  • Hook 'Em 2

Thanks all for the tips.  Just want the fucker out of my yard, and would rather not have to capture/kill.  

On another note...This year will be the first deer season I have been able to really jump in and get after it in like...7 years?  Anywho...I am ignorant to the issue of Ammo acquisition.  From perusing the other thread, it seems like there are varying opinions about what the best way to get what I need.

I am primarily looking for the following:

30/30

.300 Savage

Any advice is appreciated on the best way to acquire.  I am not looking for a ton of ammo, just enough to do some minimal target shooting and then the few rounds i need (hopefully) for the season.

2 hours ago, hookemATL said:

Thanks all for the tips.  Just want the fucker out of my yard, and would rather not have to capture/kill.  

On another note...This year will be the first deer season I have been able to really jump in and get after it in like...7 years?  Anywho...I am ignorant to the issue of Ammo acquisition.  From perusing the other thread, it seems like there are varying opinions about what the best way to get what I need.

30/30

.300 Savage

Any advice is appreciated on the best way to acquire.  I am not looking for a ton of ammo, just enough to do some minimal target shooting and then the few rounds i need (hopefully) for the season.

Where are you located and where are you hunting?  There's several online options.  I've had decent luck with Abel's Ammo.  I know of a few gun stores that have had better inventory in the last few months depending on your location.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Spaulding Smails said:

Where are you located and where are you hunting?  There's several online options.  I've had decent luck with Abel's Ammo.  I know of a few gun stores that have had better inventory in the last few months depending on your location.

I am in Austin but will be hunting in Bastrop County.  Thanks for the heads up!

20 hours ago, hookemATL said:

30/30

.300 Savage

Have bought 243 and 300 sav off midway in last few months.  I’m hunting some 3030 myself, to no avail. 

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, Spaulding Smails said:

If you're headed west for some reason, I've been able to get damn near every caliber I need over the last two months at the new Los Cazadores location on 290 in Stonewall.  McBrides had a decent supply last week as well when I was in there.  

If you're heading down 59 south, Carroll's just south of Wharton on the east side of 59 has tons of ammo.

Eagle Lake has a gun store, name escapes me, I was there during the height of the shortage and they had plenty.

2 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Johnny’s.  Good hard to find fishing stuff too. 

Eta one of the guys on my lease is 1st cousin/raised with the guy who owns them now. When ammo first got short, he asked if anyone wanted ammo at near cost.  Couple of guys ordered about a pallet.  In hindsight I should have thrown down a few hundy on some. 

46 minutes ago, hookemATL said:

Is there a typically day/time they restock at academy?  I have two rather close to me so I’m wondering if I can get lucky if I time it right. 

I had decent luck Tuesday right when they opened a few weeks ago.  I hit the one in Sunset Valley to snag some baseball pants for my son and picked up a few boxes of .223 varmint rounds that I hadn't been able to track down along with a big box of .45 rounds that had been elusive.  They do have quantity limits though, so hard to really stock up on target rounds, but good for finding hunting rounds.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/23/2021 at 1:41 PM, Brisketexan said:

Ok….does anyone have an extra box of 30/06 they’d be willing to part with? I just burned through most of mine dialing the rifle in…don’t want to go into opening weekend with literally a handful of rounds in my pocket.

I’ll pay a fair premium. And you’d be helping a brother out.

Do you still need some?  Looks like I can ship UPS but not post office.