2021-2022 hunting thread

markstanco

11 hours ago, Both Tacos said:

I've got the Cuddeback system with 3 cameras. 1 main camera that transmits all the pics and 2 remote cameras that sync with the main. I like their system because I can have a bunch of cameras spread across my land and only pay 1 monthly/yearly price.
I've had them for 2 years and haven't had any major issues out if them.

This.  This right here.

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

This.  This right here.

CHIEF Jr. spent hours researching game cams. We ended up with a Covert game cam. My feeder sits at the bottom of a 200 ft. cliff that it must shoot a signal over. Right now I have 90% battery life (about 35 pictures a day), and 60% signal strength, between Benjamin and Guthrie.

https://www.amazon.com/Covert-CO8076-Code-Black-2021/dp/B08VQFZGY7/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&qid=1634748402&sr=8-1&srs=9517145011

CHIEF

Edited by CHIEF
  • Hook 'Em 2

53 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Those screws are triggering my deer blind OCD....;)

Haha; this is just a large platform (uncovered) we built on top of a hill to overlook a food plot and pretty country; we call it the veranda. The feeder is 310 yards away so this is our area to "hunt" where we put on music, talk, drink bourbon etc. The screws in question are like that so we can throw a camo netting to help conceal it when the leaves fall.

I'll see if I can find some other photos

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, cknight said:

Haha; this is just a large platform (uncovered) we built on top of a hill to overlook a food plot and pretty country; we call it the veranda. The feeder is 310 yards away so this is our area to "hunt" where we put on music, talk, drink bourbon etc. The screws in question are like that so we can throw a camo netting to help conceal it when the leaves fall.

I'll see if I can find some other photos

That's awesome.  I always have a couple feeders setup like 200-250 yards from the feeder.  I can usually sneak in them after the feeder goes off.  And it is where I want to hunt with buddies if we are going to be drinking beer (and the attendant urination) and watching football while hunting.

I love your spot.  That is badass.

Went out to Doss to prep this weekend. Gorgeous damn weather. Couple of small hogs fell victim to the 300BO Rem7. Blackey showed up 15 seconds before the feeder went off, as if he'd been there before. Freckles came in with a group of females / piglets about 10 mins after I put one through the ticker of Blackey. They both ran downhill about 40 yds and expired within 20 ft of each other.  (note: exit wound on Freckles...angled towards me)

IMG_4164.thumb.jpg.4f26f0227850c66ed784d304353dd393.jpgIMG_4163.thumb.jpg.f29893d3a92a98e34e04058e7ec5bbce.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Alright plant nerds, I need some identification help.  My tree knowledge begins and ends with smoker application, so I'm a bit out of my depth here, but every morning and afternoon while walking my dog I notice this tree (center of the pic) has 30-40 white wing in it every f'n time.  If you throw a pebble up there it literally explodes with the birds, they circle once or twice and come right back to it...

FullSizeRender(2).heic

They are eating, and fighting over, these green seed things...

FullSizeRender_2(2).heic

Da fuq is that tree?  I need to plant an orchard down at the ranch.

1 hour ago, Cajun said:

Alright plant nerds, I need some identification help.  My tree knowledge begins and ends with smoker application, so I'm a bit out of my depth here, but every morning and afternoon while walking my dog I notice this tree (center of the pic) has 30-40 white wing in it every f'n time.  If you throw a pebble up there it literally explodes with the birds, they circle once or twice and come right back to it...

FullSizeRender(2).heic

FullSizeRender_2(2).heic

@cactusflinthead

2 hours ago, Cajun said:

FullSizeRender(2).heic

FullSizeRender_2(2).heic

Chinese Tallow tree

https://plants.ces.ncsu.edu/plants/triadica-sebifera/

Edited by cactusflinthead
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

https://biodiversity.utexas.edu/news/entry/backyard-biodiversity-white-winged-dove

These birds are granivorous, which means they eat mostly seed, but some fruits and berries as well. If there are large flowers around, it will drink the nectar. In Texas, some have observed the white-winged dove practice “collaborative feeding,” where the birds were shaking seeds from a Chinese tallow tree so other doves could eat.

I guess that's what I'm seeing.

Edited by Cajun
  • Hook 'Em 1

Brisket - You need more than 1 round? Wish I could help you out but I shoot a 25-06 and just picked up 2 more boxes of it last week at Academy.

It was a good day at the ranch. Got the duck blinds brushed and feeders topped off.
Food plots are doing good. Not as thick this year but we didn't get the usual October rains as we typically do.289697abc17b37372948ffd3c20cc5bc.jpgb92469407a3b17527d571c18c64886b6.jpgcc7b8d2a411ee351a5c91107707a5d27.jpgc1e5b1e458fb2f8f1c77a0028ebd3d36.jpg50b0a3788b54063fd9195dca365b68a6.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Ok….does anyone have an extra box of 30/06 they’d be willing to part with? I just burned through most of mine dialing the rifle in…don’t want to go into opening weekend with literally a handful of rounds in my pocket.

I’ll pay a fair premium. And you’d be helping a brother out.

They’ve had them at my academy every time I’ve been, several options. I’ll have wife pick some up if she’s over there in next day or two, if you can’t find any.  

Not terrible, actual shipping cost (rare)

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/914186648

Edited by fattyflattie

18 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Ok….does anyone have an extra box of 30/06 they’d be willing to part with? I just burned through most of mine dialing the rifle in…don’t want to go into opening weekend with literally a handful of rounds in my pocket.

I’ll pay a fair premium. And you’d be helping a brother out.

Got some .338 Win Mag.  Just cram ‘em in with a putty scraper & they should work fine.

Can’t remember who said Atascosa when I asked about blinds, but I finally picked up a 5x7 and put it up today.  What a huge pain in the ass, not sure how this normally gets done but I’m pretty sure it’s not like I did with an improvised roller system off the bed of a Home Depot truck that I rode hard and put away wet after scraping every rock and cedar in Travis County.  Anyway, I have a massive new blind so that’s fun. 

255F77E4-FF63-44E4-85C3-16E5A8FDC8AD.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, USCATX said:

Can’t remember who said Atascosa when I asked about blinds, but I finally picked up a 5x7 and put it up today.  What a huge pain in the ass, not sure how this normally gets done but I’m pretty sure it’s not like I did with an improvised roller system off the bed of a Home Depot truck that I rode hard and put away wet after scraping every rock and cedar in Travis County.  Anyway, I have a massive new blind so that’s fun. 

I missed one of their 5x9 scratch and dents last year for several thousand off. Still pissed I didn’t pull the trigger fast enough. Nice blinds. 

255F77E4-FF63-44E4-85C3-16E5A8FDC8AD.thumb.jpeg.95a46f9cd56870f9260b47c94e36ecc4.jpeg
You wouldn't think you would need to but make sure to anchor it down.

37 minutes ago, USCATX said:

Ha, you could live in something like that.  

I have 3 little ones that love insist on sitting with me.  

8 minutes ago, Both Tacos said:

You wouldn't think you would need to but make sure to anchor it down.

Troof. Once I passed on the Atascosa, I found a similar (but Texas Wildlife Supply) blind that had blown over for about 20% of cost. Replaced 2 windows and beat straight some of the bent shit and we in business. It’s on a 12 or 15’ tower (can’t recall, it’s tall af) so that was one helluva fall.   

• Like 1

16 hours ago, USCATX said:

Those Atascosas are what we have.  We bought three 5' x 5' and had them delivered / set up.  One ground blind and two 4' like yours.  We did just move one this summer.  I'm assuming you laid it on its side?  How did you stand it upright?  Did you have some help?  Seems like a winch or come-a-long would be the way to go.

We were able to move ours upright on my 16' trailer.  Just tilted it back, backed the trailer under one side, then shimmied it on the trailer.  We only had to go about 200 yds, so it wasn't a huge chore.  

41 minutes ago, Spaulding Smails said:

Those Atascosas are what we have.  We bought three 5' x 5' and had them delivered / set up.  One ground blind and two 4' like yours.  We did just move one this summer.  I'm assuming you laid it on its side?  How did you stand it upright?  Did you have some help?  Seems like a winch or come-a-long would be the way to go.

We were able to move ours upright on my 16' trailer.  Just tilted it back, backed the trailer under one side, then shimmied it on the trailer.  We only had to go about 200 yds, so it wasn't a huge chore.  

I built a wood jig to support it on the flat bed, then cut six steel pipe rollers and jacked up the blind with a floor jack and inserted the rollers.  I tied the blind off to another truck and then moved the flatbed forward.  Then I installed two legs on the blind and kept moving on the rollers. Finally I flipped the jig around and had my boys stand on it to lever it while installed the other two legs.  My stand is 3 miles down a tough to access road, but even then I can’t recommend this unless you absolutely have to do it. 

• Hook 'Em 1