2021-2022 hunting thread

markstanco

2 minutes ago, Izhmash said:

I suspected the trim / necking...but not fire forming. Thanks for clarifying!  My father and I have custom rifles from Mike Bush (back when he was working under Underground Skunkworks), but we've never fire formed cases for them. Do you go through a process similar to forming for .223AI? 

Doing all of that for a  223 auto loader doesn’t make sense to me.  The rifle can’t be machined enough like a bolt action can be to justify customized bullets.

On 10/8/2021 at 10:22 AM, hornmpa96 said:

Curious what people think about this Buck’s age. The top 2 pictures are from December 2019 after the rut while the pic in the bottom left is October 2020. Bottom right is this September.

8063FA75-C056-46FC-B970-258560507E57.jpeg

He might have been a run down 4.5 in the top right pic. So I would say he's either 5.5 or 6.5 now. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, deadshank said:

Doing all of that for a  223 auto loader doesn’t make sense to me.  The rifle can’t be machined enough like a bolt action can be to justify customized bullets.

I'm not following the autoloader context. Speaking strictly bolts here re: .223 Ackley Improved.

EDIT - to clarify my previous question, I was genuinely curious about the steps you take to fire form for the .270 bolt, and if it's similar to what is done to fire form a .223 Ackley Improved.

Edited by Izhmash

Pretty much every scoped rifle I own will put a bullet through the same hole at 100 yards.  Only three are custom made.  And I shoot factory loads out of all of them.  I do think you should shoot the same rounds from the same lot.  I won't shoot a different lot number without going to the range first.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Pretty much every scoped rifle I own will put a bullet through the same hole at 100 yards.  Only three are custom made.  And I shoot factory loads out of all of them.  I do think you should shoot the same rounds from the same lot.  I won't shoot a different lot number without going to the range first.

My pre-64 .270 ONLY eats 130gr Winchester Super X.  Groups close to an inch @ 100yds, which is well within each feeder at the our place.  

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Agreed. We mostly use our custom rifles at 300+, and about 350 is where we see a significant separation between factory loads and custom rifles. That said, I've seen some pretty damn accurate production rifles....it's just not a guarantee of what you might get.

I'm currently playing on the other end of the spectrum and having fun with my little Rem Model 7, which I had Mark Pharr (Tumbleweed Rifles here in Austin...highly recommend!) rebuild into a 300 BO. Subsonics are just a blast out of a bolt....and where we hunt, range isn't an issue and the deer are small.

Edited by Izhmash
  • Hook 'Em 1

I’m unexpectedly headed out this weekend.

They moved the cows onto my property to graze for a week and one of the fuckers decided to mess with my cell cam and got it turned sideways facing a damn bush that keeps triggering it today.

Gonna go refill the feeders, swap sd cards on my other cams and fix my cell cam.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just a quick overnight out there on Saturday to deliver some equipment.  I'll spend the rest of the day screwing around with feeders and such.  Then it will be college football, bourbon and grilling steaks.  Looking forward to enjoying some low 40's temps on Sunday morning.  This is the best time of year in Texas.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Izhmash said:

I'm not following the autoloader context. Speaking strictly bolts here re: .223 Ackley Improved.

EDIT - to clarify my previous question, I was genuinely curious about the steps you take to fire form for the .270 bolt, and if it's similar to what is done to fire form a .223 Ackley Improved.

Auto loader references the average semi-auto AR.  Bolt action are far and away more accurate and consistent 

• Like 1

Conference calls waiting things out in the deer blind are a thing. Just make sure you are on mute in case you have to squeeze one off. 

I once settled a case from the goose blind. Was arguing on the cel phone with opposing counsel about our settlement number. A big flight came in, abruptly set the phone down in the blind: BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM. Several birds down. Pick up the phone again, opposing counsel says “we’ve got a deal.”
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I once settled a case from the goose blind. Was arguing on the cel phone with opposing counsel about our settlement number. A big flight came in, abruptly set the phone down in the blind: BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM. Several birds down. Pick up the phone again, opposing counsel says “we’ve got a deal.”

Well, it musta steadied your shot knowing that if the call dropped all you had to do was dial back the “4s”.

• Like 1

While you could have mini guns in that drone blazing at those coots and I wouldn’t care a federal GW may differ in his opinion. I would not be posting that in a public forum. Most of those guys have an 8” cedar fence post jammed so far up their ass you can see it when they remove their hat.

• Like 1

While you could have mini guns in that drone blazing at those coots and I wouldn’t care a federal GW may differ in his opinion. I would not be posting that in a public forum. Most of those guys have an 8” cedar fence post jammed so far up their ass you can see it when they remove their hat.
Yep, GW Feds have gone after less on a harrassment of migratory waterfowl.

Soccer games yesterday and today, but I was able to make a quick trip out Friday morning to look at pictures of cows, pigs, and raccoons on our game cams. After the game today I took the NV off of my .300 BLK to sight the redi dot in (it ain't perfect, but close enough for 100 yards in and I ain't got any ammo trees planted), worked on a blind we've been building, and drank some beers while trying to keep up with the Cowboys game.

13 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Soccer games yesterday and today, but I was able to make a quick trip out Friday morning to look at pictures of cows, pigs, and raccoons on our game cams. After the game today I took the NV off of my .300 BLK to sight the redi dot in (it ain't perfect, but close enough for 100 yards in and I ain't got any ammo trees planted), worked on a blind we've been building, and drank some beers while trying to keep up with the Cowboys game.

Five games this last weekend kept me grounded.  Living vicariously through everyone's pics......have to take the boy to Tulsa this weekend for Sat & Sun games....:(

Edited by BabaYaga

Bah, so went out this past weekend to topoff feeders, swap cards and batteries and move my cell camera back to a proper view angle after cows knocked it sideways.

My stealth cam Fusion with new batteries and recentered, it synced properly as per the green lights etc…. Now in the last day+ it hasn’t transmitted any pics to the app. It’s showing that it’s online, fresh batteries, same 3-bar signal strength and 1% more-full SD card.

Any ways to force a resync remotely without driving back out there for another 6hr road trip.

On 10/16/2021 at 10:05 AM, davidg said:

I did not know that.

well fellas, It was nice knowing y’all

1 hour ago, 686 said:

Got my first elk Saturday. DIY public land with my hunting buddy; about 5 miles off the road into national forest, 8400’ elevation. Packed out the head, cape, tenderloins and straps on foot, which took four hours. Luckily a friend loaned us a couple horses to pack out the quarters the next day. Pack out and deboning took 14 hours total four two guys. We’re whipped. Not a giant, but a decent bull for this unit, and we couldn’t have asked for a nicer setting. This bull was still rutting and didn’t want to go down. 3 shots through the chest with my 300 Weatherby at 300 yards before he went down. The exit wound you see is from a hard quartering on shot that entered in front of his right shoulder.

b4fe1f4cd1f0d352e600cbccc0a4768f.jpg

Congratulations and digging the natural earth FirstLite gear.  Love the stuff.  Going more and more away from camo patterns all together.  Love it!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Cajun said:

I did not know that.

well fellas, It was nice knowing y’all

I doubt just flying a drone around waterfowl would be an issue but when you turn and dive toward them to make them move or fly it could be a problem.  Like I said, the FGWs I have met usually didn't have a sense of humor and I imagine there is a very non-hunting friendly generation of wardens currently being employed.

There were a few guides out on the Katy prairie in the 80s and 90s that reportedly would use small airplanes to push flocks of snow geese toward their sports.  Didn't turn out so well for at least one of them.

16 minutes ago, davidg said:

I doubt just flying a drone around waterfowl would be an issue but when you turn and dive toward them to make them move or fly it could be a problem.  Like I said, the FGWs I have met usually didn't have a sense of humor and I imagine there is a very non-hunting friendly generation of wardens currently being employed.

There were a few guides out on the Katy prairie in the 80s and 90s that reportedly would use small airplanes to push flocks of snow geese toward their sports.  Didn't turn out so well for at least one of them.

Technically, the movement towards the birds is a no-no:

16 U.S.C. §742j–1. Airborne hunting (a)Prohibition; penalty (b)Any person who— (1) while airborne in an aircraft shoots or attempts to shoot for the purpose of capturing or killing any bird, fish, or other animal; or (2) uses an aircraft to harass any bird, fish, or other animal; or (3) knowingly participates in using an aircraft for any purpose referred to in paragraph (1) or (2); shall be fined not more than $5,000 or imprisoned not more than one year, or both.

24 minutes ago, davidg said:

Like I said, the FGWs I have met usually didn't have a sense of humor and I imagine there is a very non-hunting friendly generation of wardens currently being employed.

I've met some doozies.  One back in college had a friend from Paris and we were going duck hunting.  Everything I'm using is borrowed as I had no experience at the time.  It's cold.  early.  I'm not loving this so far.  We have to hike in and out a mile carrying all this crap.  Waders get a leak.  I have to take a growler.  Fuck my life.  Come back with frozen feet, sloshing with water, and no t-shirt....

So we see a warden giving a guy the 3rd degree for using a canoe to place/retrieve his decoys and it nor being "licensed" as a watercraft.  He stops us.  We got skunked so no birds, but the BPS I'm borrowing; the plug is short, allowing for three in the tube.  Now you cannot chamber any of those three, but technically you can wedge one in their and have a round in the chamber.....giving you a capacity of 3+.  Big ass ticket.  Fuck duck hunting forever....

My friend who's gun it is felt horrible, took the fine and even went to the court house to dispute it, but still.  

Well ol' Goaty Goat showed up by himself last night a little before 3am. He and his buddies have been hitting the feeder pretty hard. I have another feeder about a mile away I think I'm gonna hunt at the beginning of season, at least until the deer drop down into the river bottom. The hunter that was at that feeder isn't on the lease anymore, but there was a 3.5-4.5 year old 12 point that was coming to that feeder last year. It has no camera, so not sure what to expect.

Goaty-Goat.jpg

Goaty-Goat2.jpg

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Was out on the property with Mrs. Laz weekend before last.  We've had a renegade buckin bull from next door who got through the fence on the property for about a month now.  At first, it was a cool novelty but it's quickly becoming apparent he needs to be returned to his rightful owner at the earliest opportunity.   I'm actually curious how many hands that will take to accomplish.  In addition to the ankle-breaker footprints he's leaving all over the place, he pretty much makes his own path through the interior brush.  A little bit of that is a good thing as it gives us some access that we'd otherwise have to bushwhack, but I suspect it has also given the coyotes better access too.  

In that regards, we saw a ton of coyote scat, and jumped one on the perimeter road on our first night.  Had it dead to rights at about 15 yards, but I was driving and couldn't get my rifle readied before he took off.  I reckon I'll never have an easier shot on a fawn killer.  Then, Saturday morning, we were sitting in the blind at sunrise with the windows open when a coyote started howling and all of a sudden, the entire countryside erupted in howls.  Sounded like dozens.  It was pretty awesome, but it also convinced me immediately that pigs aren't going to be our biggest problem.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lazarus Bocanegra said:

Was out on the property with Mrs. Laz weekend before last.  We've had a renegade buckin bull from next door who got through the fence on the property for about a month now.  At first, it was a cool novelty but it's quickly becoming apparent he needs to be returned to his rightful owner at the earliest opportunity.   I'm actually curious how many hands that will take to accomplish.  In addition to the ankle-breaker footprints he's leaving all over the place, he pretty much makes his own path through the interior brush.  A little bit of that is a good thing as it gives us some access that we'd otherwise have to bushwhack, but I suspect it has also given the coyotes better access too.  

In that regards, we saw a ton of coyote scat, and jumped one on the perimeter road on our first night.  Had it dead to rights at about 15 yards, but I was driving and couldn't get my rifle readied before he took off.  I reckon I'll never have an easier shot on a fawn killer.  Then, Saturday morning, we were sitting in the blind at sunrise with the windows open when a coyote started howling and all of a sudden, the entire countryside erupted in howls.  Sounded like dozens.  It was pretty awesome, but it also convinced me immediately that pigs aren't going to be our biggest problem.  

A pack of 3 sounds like 30. Might be time to invest in some night vision/thermal gear.

CHIEF

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

I've met some doozies.  One back in college had a friend from Paris and we were going duck hunting.  Everything I'm using is borrowed as I had no experience at the time.  It's cold.  early.  I'm not loving this so far.  We have to hike in and out a mile carrying all this crap.  Waders get a leak.  I have to take a growler.  Fuck my life.  Come back with frozen feet, sloshing with water, and no t-shirt....

So we see a warden giving a guy the 3rd degree for using a canoe to place/retrieve his decoys and it nor being "licensed" as a watercraft.  He stops us.  We got skunked so no birds, but the BPS I'm borrowing; the plug is short, allowing for three in the tube.  Now you cannot chamber any of those three, but technically you can wedge one in their and have a round in the chamber.....giving you a capacity of 3+.  Big ass ticket.  Fuck duck hunting forever....

My friend who's gun it is felt horrible, took the fine and even went to the court house to dispute it, but still.  

The last time I duck hunted was in college after a night of heavy drinking in Houston. Sprung a leak in my waders. Got cold, wet, hungry and the hunting was slow. On the way home those waders flew out of the bed of my truck somewhere on I-10. It was a blessing in disguise. Haven't duck hunted since and don't miss it one bit. 

• Hook 'Em 1