2021-2022 hunting thread

markstanco

3 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Deer rifle would be collecting dust after that one, I believe.  

Scored 203, but taken on high-fenced spread, so no book.

His older brother told him, “Congratulations & condolences”.  He asked why condolences to which the brother replied, “Because that’s the deer of a lifetime & you’re still very young”.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 686 said:

Nice plot - what implement(s) do you plant with?

ATV's.  We're in the process of reclaiming these old fields, so it's incremental.  Cousin has a small skid steer to grub the larger mesquite trees and we need to get a decent sized tractor down there to drag and disc everything.  Want to create an "oasis" on these old wheat fields as there is no farming around us and it's just bow hunting at this time.  Minimal pressure on the deer.

Last year almost all the budget for the ranch went into property and fence improvement.  This year, it's field reclamation and brush control.  Blinds updated.  Put in a giant 1000#+ protein feeder with six drop tubes.  Now it's time to focus on the fields.

Here's the pic above (small field).  It's a great spot as it backs up the creek and you can make your way up the road/creek and enter the blind from the back.  It's elevated up 10+feet so the view is epic

Looking at blind placement as well.  The small field (upper left) is highlighted in yellow on what was reclaimed.  The larger, bottom field has that peninsula of brush that pushed out into it and makes a PERFECT spot/stalk area to work both side

*blinds in red

Topo large field.PNG

• Like 1

On 10/4/2021 at 3:06 PM, Cajun said:

Scored 203, but taken on high-fenced spread, so no book.

His older brother told him, “Congratulations & condolences”.  He asked why condolences to which the brother replied, “Because that’s the deer of a lifetime & you’re still very young”.

My little sister, who was 8 at the time, killed a gorgeous 8 point main frame but with massive kickers off the G2s and split 8 inch brow tines.  It scored 175.  It is one of the prettiest deer we have ever taken off of our place.  Though many score better.  That is her only kill.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, CHIEF said:

A buddy sent this picture to my Uncle, of a boar that tore up his feeder in Coleman county. I scanned images, since I couldn't believe it wasn't a photoshop, but nothing showed up even close. What a big, mean looking fucker:

Coleman-Boar.jpg

CHIEF

If you anchor properly, this should never happen.  I overdo it.  But I use a t-post on each leg and use a hose clamp to secure.  I also drill a hole in the pipe leg and drive a half inch piece of rebar through it.  Finally, I use a self tapping screw to attach the feeder pipe leg to the feeder leg -- this stops the pigs from bumping it out of the pipe leg (had that happen once).  Nothing is knocking over my feeders.

8 hours ago, CHIEF said:

A buddy sent this picture to my Uncle, of a boar that tore up his feeder in Coleman county. I scanned images, since I couldn't believe it wasn't a photoshop, but nothing showed up even close. What a big, mean looking fucker:

Coleman-Boar.jpg

CHIEF

746420-full-size-barrett-50-cal-wallpape

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

My little sister, who was 8 at the time, killed a gorgeous 8 point main frame but with massive kickers off the G2s and split 8 inch brow tines.  It scored 175.  It is one of the prettiest deer we have ever taken off of our place.  Though many score better.  That is her only kill.

I've shot 160 class deer that I'd take over a lot of much higher scoring behemoths.  

I'm a sucker for long brow tines and symmetry.  /no homo

sc00029077.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Buddy's daughter took this one.  Same place in Dimmit Co.  I'm also a sucker for drop tines (Personal Holy Grail I've never even seen through an optic live.  I did look at this one mounted on the wall through my scope, however.  The deer, that is.  Had a good fap that night)...

74604693_10216437895034644_5851672742121

Edited by Cajun
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Damn Cajun, those are both awesome deer.  My favorite deer I’ve killed is a mid 150s slick 8.  

I like him more than the 185 I have.  I don’t care as much about total score.  I like typicals.  With maybe some long mule deer type splits off the G2s.  I passed on a buck 20 years ago that still haunts me.  It was a ten point typical with 8 inch g2 mule deer type kickers.  I should have shot.  Watched him for an hour under the feeder 150 yards away.  I had the green light from my granddad (ranch owner).  

I didn’t shoot as I thought he needed another year.  I misjudged his age.  He was 195ish. Found him dead two years later and he’d gone way down hill.  Including losing one of his g2 split kicker.  And he still measured 176.   I wanted to vomit.  

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Buddy's daughter took this one.  Same place in Dimmit Co.  I'm also a sucker for drop tines (Personal Holy Grail I've never even seen through an optic live.  I did look at this one mounted on the wall through my scope, however.  The deer, that is.  Had a good fap that night)...

74604693_10216437895034644_5851672742121

Same as you on the drop tine holy grail.  I'd promise to never take another trophy buck if I could just get one of those drop tines!

5 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

If you anchor properly, this should never happen.  I overdo it.  But I use a t-post on each leg and use a hose clamp to secure.  I also drill a hole in the pipe leg and drive a half inch piece of rebar through it.  Finally, I use a self tapping screw to attach the feeder pipe leg to the feeder leg -- this stops the pigs from bumping it out of the pipe leg (had that happen once).  Nothing is knocking over my feeders.

Yeah, if you notice, there are no t-bar plates. All of mine are t-posted in, with a set screw, wire, and all legs are attached by screws. Mine are set to stand up to bovine bulls, 2000 lbs.+. They might bend legs, but it isn't coming out of the ground. That hog looks part Chianina, I've never seen that long of legs, or that little fat, and still be over 400 lbs.

CHIEF

Edited by CHIEF
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Yeah, if you notice, there are no t-bar plates. All of mine are t-posted in, with a set screw, wire, and all legs are attached by screws. Mine are set to stand up to bovine bulls, 2000 lbs.+. They might bend legs, but it isn't coming out of the ground. That hog looks part Chianina, I've never seen that long of legs, or that little fat, and still be over 400 lbs.
CHIEF
Russian Boar genetics

So the last few days I’ve had this little shit running around my one cellular camera. Never really had him do this around my cameras.

He kept trigger it but I would have empty shots so I was thinking the mesquite branch was triggering.

Until he finally stopped and I figured out the culprit.

a04ac1c998525ff69529e0ec32a2f8c5.jpg

037ca358f21fd6883d4461374a041b7b.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I like the cut of your jib. I splurge and use 18-24” concrete form stakes with pre-drilled holes to anchor my feeder legs (attach to legs with brace wire). I don’t like T-Posts next to my feeder legs in case I fall (God forbid) loading the feeder; I’m also lazy and I can drive the form stakes with a 3lb sledge instead of a T-post driver. (We have rocky soil)

51d209a3826dcf51c1a8e646ed1d4218.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 3

7 hours ago, 686 said:

I like the cut of your jib. I splurge and use 18-24” concrete form stakes with pre-drilled holes to anchor my feeder legs (attach to legs with brace wire). I don’t like T-Posts next to my feeder legs in case I fall (God forbid) loading the feeder; I’m also lazy and I can drive the form stakes with a 3lb sledge instead of a T-post driver. (We have rocky soil)

51d209a3826dcf51c1a8e646ed1d4218.jpg

Same exact setup for mine.  Form stakes and a sledge with plenty of baling wire.  We use the 600-lb Atascosa EZ feeders.  No ladder to load, plus a lower center of gravity.  Never had any issues.  Plus, they're on a skid, so we actually slide them around a bit after the season to let the ground recover around the feeder.  

We go a step further with the blinds.  Form stakes at the legs, then a mobile home anchor in the center with guy wires up to each corner.  Tighten them with a turnbuckle.  

23 hours ago, CHIEF said:

Coleman-Boar.jpg

CHIEF

Guessing he's on the north side of the county where all the large oak trees are.  We border Runnels county and have ZERO hogs.  I keep telling everyone who ask and I've never once even seen one.  Too dry, and too many mesquite.  We have water, but outside of feeders, nothing for those turds to eat.  

• Hook 'Em 1

We have issues with cows, so feel your pain.  We have a number of these "Hang 'em High" tripod feeders that are bulletproof.  Even the large cows can't tip them over....and they try, based upon the hair on them.  Even full, you can crank them up with one hand.  Only drawback is the size of the drum and capacity.

1436774311_Tripodfeeder.thumb.JPG.f7b0967f1253d51c581db4b411f9404a.JPG

12 hours ago, Speedtrucker said:

So the last few days I’ve had this little shit running around my one cellular camera. Never really had him do this around my cameras.

He kept trigger it but I would have empty shots so I was thinking the mesquite branch was triggering.

Until he finally stopped and I figured out the culprit.

a04ac1c998525ff69529e0ec32a2f8c5.jpg

037ca358f21fd6883d4461374a041b7b.jpg

It can always be worse.....;)

Monkeys.thumb.JPG.853696e17b6381136877d6a29f9e37ec.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Only drawback is the size of the drum and capacity.

Well, one other.  Hang em highs are nice high end feeders, we used to have about 6-8 of them on our place. One year a full one fell straight to the ground, about 18” from one of the lease members kids and that was the end of those.  Should he have been standing that close, of course not. But that 350# barrel coming down at earth as fast as it can would be the biggest inherit drawback imo.  Big fan of the TWS 650# feeders; been great for me. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Well, one other.  Hang em highs are nice high end feeders, we used to have about 6-8 of them on our place. One year a full one fell straight to the ground, about 18” from one of the lease members kids and that was the end of those.  Should he have been standing that close, of course not. But that 350# barrel coming down at earth as fast as it can would be the biggest inherit drawback imo.  Big fan of the TWS 650# feeders; been great for me. 

Yikes?  Cable pop or the gearbox get messed up on the crank?  I do tell the kids to stand back, usually because they are in the way....;)

19 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Yikes?  Cable pop or the gearbox get messed up on the crank?  I do tell the kids to stand back, usually because they are in the way....;)

Cable popped.  The thing is, the hang em highs are head and shoulders better quality than most tripods type feeders.  Makes you wonder about the cheaper ones.   But yeah, I've known the kid since he was born, and it was just a chilling moment.  Anyhow, team stand and fill here.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Cable popped.  The thing is, the hang em highs are head and shoulders better quality than most tripods type feeders.  Makes you wonder about the cheaper ones.   But yeah, I've known the kid since he was born, and it was just a chilling moment.  Anyhow, team stand and fill here.

Started with the tripod feeders, but to your point, all new additions are stand and fill.  But those tripods won't die.  

14 hours ago, CHIEF said:

I was lucky enough to inherit this Capsule feeder from my Dad's business. I have it, and a 1500 lb. protein feeder enclosed with hog panels and a solar powered hot wire. Hogs absolutely hate electricity.

Feeder-Pen.jpg

CHIEF

Nice.  Seen those and wondered how they do?  We added the protein feeder that is squattier with six drop spouts.  It's 2k lbs, and they clear it out every few months.  Hoping when temps drop they start hitting it harder.

1487052824_Proteinfeedernew.thumb.PNG.f8d8539d4c323e7c02c249f12f6555f7.PNG

Edited by BabaYaga

14 hours ago, Cajun said:

Had a cow try to walk off with one of my Mojo Spinning Tail decoys a couple of days ago.  

Almost ate Porterhouse that night.

They've "eaten" FOUR god damn game cams.  JFC, I think they are in cahoots with the deer or have some kind of agreement.  Fuckers......

Back in my Jack Rabbit spotlighting days I woke up one morning to find a cow standing in the middle of a road with a Jack hanging from its mouth by the ear.

‘Just chewin’ away like it was a Slim Jim.

Edited by Cajun

3 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Back in my Jack Rabbit spotlighting days I woke up one morning to find a cow standing in the middle of a road with a Jack hanging from its mouth by the ear.

This is the origin story of mad cow disease.  Rabbit gets sick.  Cow eats rabbit.  Society collapses. Sweet release.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Cajun said:

Yep, heard about and seen videos of  deer eat birds and rodents.  Apparently if their protein intake is low, they'll go "off script"