2021-2022 hunting thread

markstanco

New PCP Airgun is Hunting.  Can't wait to tag a few coons and squirrels. Benjamin Marauder in .22.  Been eying one for quite a while but losing 5 chickens to a raccoon the other night made me cross the line.  I feel a little better shooting the airgun in the backyard than my .22.

Still not seeing a bunch, but our deer herd isn't real thick, just big. It was 27 degrees in the river bottom on Saturday morning. We drive the Ranger as far as we can, then hike out and sit on a point above our feeder.

Jeffreymorninghunt.jpg

The dry West Texas air means it warms and cools in a hurry. CHIEF Jr. either wears boots or flip flops, nothing else, so here he is on the evening hunt:

Jeffrey-Hunting-Flip-Flop.jpg

Weiner dog leading the way. He has to go or he does this all weekend. Smart fucker knows where we went:

SadWoody.jpg

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4

Can't wait to get out to the lease on Sunday.  Taking the 5-year old again this year.  His first trip was last year when he was 4 and he had a fantastic time.  My FIL's lease is out just north of Ozona.  My son and I are driving about halfway to Boerne and spending the night in a hotel Saturday night, waking up and hitting up Blackboard BBQ then heading over to the lease.  We should be there in time to hit up a blind Sunday evening.  We got three bucks last year and split it between my FIL and my household.  My freezer is empty and needs to be restocked.

• Hook 'Em 3

8 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

Are snakes not much issue out there? That photo in flip flops scares the hell out of me, both from snake and from ankle sprain risk.

Hilariously moody dog.

They can be. Yes, it drives me nuts. But he is a grown man, his stupid decision. The trail to our point is pretty open though, and there is very little grass. BUT prickly pears everywhere. Somehow, he and the dog avoid them, even after sundown.

CHIEF

12 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

They can be. Yes, it drives me nuts. But he is a grown man, his stupid decision. The trail to our point is pretty open though, and there is very little grass. BUT prickly pears everywhere. Somehow, he and the dog avoid them, even after sundown.

CHIEF

Fuck around and find out at our place in flip flops.  Mesquite thorns laugh at your naiveté and hubris.  Pulled this little beauty out of the bottom of my Solomon boots a while back.  It's was perpendicular to the ground, going straight up into the arch of my foot.  Thankfully it didn't break the skin and the soles were thick.  Only a few millimeters of the thorn base were showing.  It sunk in like a nail.  

I've had countless truck tires get wrecked by these damned Passion of the Christ thorns.  They're evil.....

Thorn.JPG

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Fuck around and find out at our place in flip flops.  Mesquite thorns laugh at your naiveté and hubris.  Pulled this little beauty out of the bottom of my Solomon boots a while back.  It's was perpendicular to the ground, going straight up into the arch of my foot.  Thankfully it didn't break the skin and the soles were thick.  Only a few millimeters of the thorn base were showing.  It sunk in like a nail.  

I've had countless truck tires get wrecked by these damned Passion of the Christ thorns.  They're evil.....

Thorn.JPG

I'll see your mesquite and raise you some honey locust.  Shit is my scourge.

honey-locust_81_091306-008.jpg

• Rage+1 1

I can hear the report of the shot pushing through that muzzle brake from over here.

Nice rawfle.

The can I picked out specifically for this rifle didn’t show up until end of September and I didn’t have time to dial it in so I just left it as is until next year. Much like Eva Mendes’ ass, I’m excited for the day I get to take it out and play with it.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

54 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

The can I picked out specifically for this rifle didn’t show up until end of September and I didn’t have time to dial it in so I just left it as is until next year. Much like Eva Mendes’ ass, I’m excited for the day I get to take it out and play with it.

Those Ruger rifles are utterly fantastic.  I have the varmint Mk II and it's lethal out past many football fields.  

• Like 1

Those Ruger rifles are utterly fantastic.  I have the varmint Mk II and it's lethal out past many football fields.  

Papaw was a shithead of a man that made many terrible decisions, but he did pass on an affection for Ruger firearms that I am forever grateful for. I have more Ruger products than anything else, and all of which are fan-fuckin-tastic.
  • Like 1

I do like the action on the Ruger Americans (similar to Tikka), and the price point and caliber selections are fun as well. Only issue I had is that the magazine (as sold) couldn’t handle the recoil of 450 bushmaster and the bottom of the magazine would shift upon recoil and blow out. I gorilla glued it and it’s been ok since. Recoil on 450 BM with this light rifle is not insignificant, either shooting supersonic or 395gr subsonics, it recoils more than my 300 Weatherby. You know you are sending a big damn pill down range with those subsonics, the thud when they hit something is nice.

e2a68b259519eec426886f38a0c505c5.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Herbie Hancock said:

861e0d991afbad3fe342b166755afa73.jpg
It ain’t work, but somebody has to do it. Now which hay bale did I put my whiskey behind

Love that setup, I have the same gun in 300 blk with a Vortex 1.5x6 on top and it’s a great little gun. I can’t believe how slick, refined and accurate they can make a $450 bolt gun these days. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Both Tacos said:
13 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:
Perhaps they/their/them identified as a doe?

That's what I told the Game Warden about the 2nd buck I shot in a 1 buck County. I told him that if he didn't believe me, just ask the deer.

My first "doe" was a button buck -- back when I first started hunting.  I caught a lot of shit from the guys (deservedly so) around the hunting campfire that night.

• Haha 1

Love that setup, I have the same gun in 300 blk with a Vortex 1.5x6 on top and it’s a great little gun. I can’t believe how slick, refined and accurate they can make a $450 bolt gun these days. 

I love mine. I have more expensive rigs but I keep reaching for this one and it has served me very well. I’m not a marksman by any means, but I’m pretty confident inside of 500 yards which both the gun and glass are more than capable of doing. I have a friend that has multiple kills at over 800 yards and all of his are suppressed McWhorter custom rifles and Nightforce glass. Even if my wife would let me spend that kind of money on a half dozen rifles, I don’t have the skill set to justify it.

1 minute ago, Both Tacos said:

Certainly not downing your buddy for taking him, but that deer could have been tremendous over the next couple of years. Beautiful buck either way.

Agreed.  That looks to be a younger buck than we normally take.  I think that he was taken in by all of the hardware the buck was sporting.

27 minutes ago, Both Tacos said:

Certainly not downing your buddy for taking him, but that deer could have been tremendous over the next couple of years. Beautiful buck either way.

23 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Agreed.  That looks to be a younger buck than we normally take.  I think that he was taken in by all of the hardware the buck was sporting.

That is a tough one to pass on if your neighbors aren’t management minded.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

It's not like the thing is wet behind the ears.  Hard (for me anyhow) to try and age in that pic, but as someone who hunts on a "managed" lease where we all try and pass on good but could be great deer, can affirmatively say every one of my group would have taken that deer.  10 year lease with high fence, maybe different scenario.   Not every day you get a chance at 28 scorable points outside of some of those freakshows in pens.

I have never seen a deer (in person) with a rack as crazy as most of the ones posted on this page. One time on a managed ranch I saw some...on a video of someone else shooting a cull.  I am still going to post my little hill country free range. I love seeing what is possible. My spot, if you see a 4yr old 8, you are lucky. I shot 2 5yr old 8's one year.  There is legend of an old 10pt roaming but he doesn't look anything close to the stuff yall see. Daaangit. Maybe I will get lucky this year and go to south Texas for a big boy.

Edited by HOOKEM4
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, HOOKEM4 said:

I have never seen a deer with a rack as crazy as most of the ones posted on this page. One time on a managed ranch I saw some...on a video of someone else shooting a cull.  I am still going to post my little hill country free range. I love seeing what is possible. My spot, if you see a 4yr old 8, you are lucky. I shot 2 5yr old 8's one year.  There is legend of an old 10pt roaming but he doesn't look anything close to the stuff yall see. Daaangit. Maybe I will get lucky this year and go to south Texas for a big boy.

I'd jizz my pants if I saw most of the deer over the last few pages in the field. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1