North Carolina @ Va Tech - 5 pm central - ESPN

ztejas

It’s North Carolina….   What he’s done with the program from where it was is pretty impressive.  He said we were obviously overrated in his press conference.  I don’t get the hate for him still from a lot of y’all?  I understand the end wasn’t good but let’s just imagine for a second the situation of the program without him and hiring someone like a Charlie Strong, Tom Herman, ect back then?  It would be a lot more years of misery instead of ten wins ten years in a row and two National Championship appearances and we would be living off the lore of the very old days still.  Sound familiar?

Edited by Hook1997
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

It’s North Carolina….   What he’s done with the program from where it was is pretty impressive.  He said we were obviously overrated in his press conference.  I don’t get the hate for him still from a lot of y’all?  I understand the end wasn’t good but let’s just imagine for a second the situation of the program without him and hiring someone like Tom Herman back then?  

The Mack hate is cultish here. I'm not his biggest fan but the revisionism gets silly sometimes. He brought us our first tile in 35 years - all with his own players. Vince was amazing but he didn't win that title by himself. He had 21 other bad motherfuckers around him that Mack got to campus. And then the next guy didn't do anything under Mack but win 46 games, beat OU three times, win a BCS bowl and B12 title and play for a national championship. 

We don't need to erase his legacy because he was cunty on the way out and began our desert wandering. He presided over the 2nd greatest decade in Texas history. Texas isn't some magical job where every coach succeeds - Mack's predecessors and successors prove that. 

• Hook 'Em 7

5 minutes ago, ztejas said:

The Mack hate is cultish here. I'm not his biggest fan but the revisionism gets silly sometimes. He brought us our first tile in 35 years - all with his own players. Vince was amazing but he didn't win that title by himself. He had 21 other bad motherfuckers around him that Mack got to campus. And then the next guy didn't do anything under Mack but win 46 games, beat OU three times, win a BCS bowl and B12 title and play for a national championship. 

We don't need to erase his legacy because he was cunty on the way out and began our desert wandering. He presided over the 2nd greatest decade in Texas history. Texas isn't some magical job where every coach succeeds - Mack's predecessors and successors prove that. 

He negatively recruits us?

Edited by Guitarman
Things

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

How many times do people have to tell y'all that he talks shit about Texas to anyone who will listen? And if you haven't somehow missed this fact which has been posted here dozens of times, why is it difficult to understand Texas fans rooting against him?

Him talking shit about Texas doesn't erase his career here. The way people try and give him zero credit for anything that he accomplished is ridiculous and entitled. 

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

How many times do people have to tell y'all that he talks shit about Texas to anyone who will listen? And if you haven't somehow missed this fact which has been posted here dozens of times, why is it difficult to understand Texas fans rooting against him?

So you were in the room when Mack talked shit about the program in recent years or are you relying on rumor and innuendo from people bitter about the ending of his time?  He’s been on plenty of LHN broadcasts speaking well of the program.  Calling a spade a spade during his broadcast time isn’t really speaking talking shit it’s called the truth that everyone else was saying too, none of it was shitting out of spite just cause he didn’t pump sunshine in dark days. 

Edited by Hook1997
  • Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

2 conference titles in how many years? I won’t be lectured about not kneeling to the alter of Mack Brown. He criminally under performed and we’re still paying the fucking price. 

No ones kneeling but the years before and after were a lot worse then his time.  Underperforming, who got those players there?  It’s all subjective but to call him out over the rest during the forty five year time period is a bit asinine with his results.  I don’t know about you but I’d love ten wins then the next ten years in a row guaranteed under performing at this point or not. 

Edited by Hook1997

9 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

No ones kneeling but the years before and after were a lot worse then his time.  Underperforming, who got those players there?  It’s all subjective but to call him out over the rest during the forty five year time period is a bit asinine with his results. 

Dude John Mackovic won more Conference Titles than Mack.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Starscreacher said:

Dude John Mackovic won more Conference Titles than Mack.

Who went to more NC the 35 years before or the 8 years since or won ten games two years in a row even?   I mean damn I don’t want to be his apologist but look at the facts…. 

Edited by Hook1997

44 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

2 conference titles in how many years? I won’t be lectured about not kneeling to the alter of Mack Brown. He criminally under performed and we’re still paying the fucking price. 

Ok.  Mack didn’t win a lot of big 12 titles.  But he won quite a few at Tulane and his two stints at Unc.  So yes, if you want to point out conference titles won, yep he fell short here. But at his prior and preceding stops he’s won several more.  That being said this day belonged to fuente

20 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

Who went to more NC the 35 years before or the 8 years since or won ten games two years in a row even?   I mean damn I don’t want to be his apologist but look at the facts…. 

Coaches who have won as many national titles as Mack, let’s start at the bottom:

gene chizik

ok. Let’s go to the next tie breaker:

conference titles:  Mack 2 gene 1

Edited by closetohumping

What Mack did while he was here was special and significant.

He currently talks shit about Texas to anyone that will listen. 

Both are true statements, and both justify both sides of this argument. You can, both, appreciate what he did and simultaneously still be pissed that the guy is being a bitter, bitch-ass pussy and should shut the fuck up.

Personally, what he did for us was awesome and he deserves a lot of credit for getting us back on the map and landing huge recruits that led to a bunch of wins and hardware that most dream of. However, the way he left, how he routinely under-performed, and is now bad-mouthing Texas makes me want to forget the first part. He really wanted his legacy to be on par with DKR, but his fucking pride, like most everyone else's, led him to fuck it up royally. (no pun intended). 

Mack Brown helped Texas get back to being Texas, but fuck the ever-loving shit out of "Mack Brown - Texas Football". He did not create our storied history and he can check his ego at the fucking door.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Those of you bitching about Mack, I’ll bet you his record the last three years is way better than Tom Herman’s 

Sincerely, who cares? 

You want to bet anyone his record the last three years is better than Charlie Strong? How about betting someone if water is wet? 🙄 

18 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

With what he had, Mack underperformed there's no reason he should've got blown out the way he did against OU in some years. I'm grateful for what  he brought us in 05 and 09 sure. But to say he didn't under perform would be lying to yourself. In 2001 he shouldn't have lost to Colorado. 2008 shouldn't have lost to Tech. Team came out flat and couldn't recover reminiscent of today. He's a good but not great coach. I attribute the 05 championship more to VY than Mack because Brewster had to convince Mack to take VY in the first place.  It is what it is, I don't fully blame him for the years after though. The department as a whole was a clusterfuck. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Mack has won more conference titles than Matt campbell, Ralph froedgwn, gene chizik, Dan Mullen , Tom herman, and Jim mora combined 

and if you fucks want to talk about nine win seasons in total or in a row let’s do This

What's his excuse for not beating Bob Stoops? Some of you treat Mack like a god lol cool he brought us 9+ wins more times than not. But I like winning and establishing dominance. Some of you would settle for second place every year if it meant 9+ wins.  

3 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Yeah. Mack and only Mack could inherit Ricky fucking Williams and parlay that into a championship a mere EIGHT seasons later.  That was the first conference championship of his tenure as well. 

Mack inherited a fucking LOADED team -- Heisman winner, Major, Casey fucking Hampton and Shaun fucking Rodgers and a bunch more all-conference and/or NFL players like DD Lewis, Kwame Cavil, and Wane McGarity . And then he underachieved until VY (who he didn't want, and then wouldn't let rip) and Colt and then he totally shit the bed and actually left the program in much, much worse shape than he found it -- very little talent and a bunch of low motivation stoners. God smiled on him somehow -- I have never seen a big-time college QB as bad as Case McCoy win as many games as he did...

It's all about his inability to oversee the development of offensive linemen. Our trouble started sometime before the Matthews kids went aggy. I remember Bruce went to one of our practices and actually was laughing at what Mack and which ever numbnuts OL coach du jour were trying to do and told everybody around him there was no way in hell his kids were going to play for Mack....Which was just great -- NFL Hall of Famer from maybe the most illustrious family of football players not just steering his kids to aggy but openly mocking our "legendary" coach at the same time....And then the tailspin for a decade plus. No OL drafted between Tony Hills and Connor Williams...losing what should have been slam-dunk blue-chip legacies to schools with better coaching...the whole debacle of Strong through Herman was underpinned with the sytemic failures Mack left in his wake. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Ok.  Mack didn’t win a lot of big 12 titles.  But he won quite a few at Tulane and his two stints at Unc.  So yes, if you want to point out conference titles won, yep he fell short here. But at his prior and preceding stops he’s won several more.  That being said this day belonged to fuente

Nah, just 2 conference championships at Texas. Nothing anywhere else.

• Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Mack won conference titles his first stint at UNC?

3 minutes ago, FizzleFish said:

I don’t think so. FSU was his OU in ACC. Tulane, who cares.  I believe his only 2 conference championships were with us. No idea what close to humming is talking about. 

Yeah I remember him being FSU's bitch and OU's bitch, he just seems ok with being someone's bitch. I think that's why some of us just don't like the guy even though we also remember the title, thanks VY.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I like that VT qb, announcers made him sound like a dbag but I think he’s got something.

Also, Andre ware was top shelf in discussing the big 12 additions “this is a total lateral move for ucf and Houston. If I’m Houston I’m holding off until the pac 12 comes calling, it just makes sense for pac and Houston”

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Appreciate the championship,  now go fuck yourself. 

• Hook 'Em 1

This whole redemption tour shitshow at UNC tells you everything you need to know about Mack Brown. He had a chance to leave on great terms -- for him, anyway; we would have to have gone through 3-5 years of decline before we fired Muschamp. But he was both too dumb to say how far his program had fallen and too stubborn to listen to advice on how to change things. It really blows my mind on how fucking entitled he got -- he really thought because he won that NC and came close to another, he could just prop his feet on his desk, let the services do his recruiting for him, and keep on cruising to unsatisfying ten-win seasons with the very occasional lightning in a bottle "miracle year" when he finally adjusted his gameplans to his personnel instead of the reverse. 

I mean Gene Chizik won an NC with a VY-like QB. It's not that hard to do if you let the player play instead of dick-measuring your coaching acumen by showing everybody how well this stud works in "your system." No, Mack -- you and GDGD can stick your playbooks up your asses and run VY's offense, or you will both be fired. That was the message he finally got after 12-0 (which ruined my daughter's first full day on earth for me) and hey lookie there we go a historic win streak that would have continued for a whole 'nother year had VY not left early. But he did leave early and we kind of blew for two years and...I really don't know how to explain Colt. Finally one of Mack's diamonds in the rough actually panned out, despite a shit offensive line.

These are the things he did. We won't get into all the things he did not do, like all those QBs he did not recruit because he decided that the future belonged to GG alone, and he acted as if GG would have 15 years of eligibility. 

10 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

So you were in the room when Mack talked shit about the program in recent years or are you relying on rumor and innuendo from people bitter about the ending of his time?  He’s been on plenty of LHN broadcasts speaking well of the program.  Calling a spade a spade during his broadcast time isn’t really speaking talking shit it’s called the truth that everyone else was saying too, none of it was shitting out of spite just cause he didn’t pump sunshine in dark days. 

It doesn't matter if you believe me, I explained to you why people root against him. If you don't like it that's a you issue. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

I think people have this image of a nice grampa giving you a deep shoulder massage.   

and sorry bros got lit last night