2018-19 Texas Longhorns thread

Machinator

3 hours ago, Cameltoe said:

Oh I didn't miss anything about your point. When you say the odds of us shooting well are slim you are acting as though our shooting percentage is an immutable given, 

I know that because you like Shaka so much, you hope this isn't the case, but we are in year 4 of evidence that "we can't shoot for shit" is indeed an immutable given at the season level. There will be individual games-- even back to back games!!!!!-- where this is not the case, but you'll have to excuse my skepticism if I want to wait for a slightly larger sample size than two home games against mediocre opponents to consider our offensive challenges solved.

20 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

re: Shaka talking so much about areas we need to improve, there's one that's been a constant throughout his time here that I dont think he ever addresses- accurate passing. Guys like Roach, Ramey, and in the past EDJ, even sometimes guys like Coleman and Long will have a wide open teammate who has his feet set and is ready to shoot a three, and for one reason or another the pass doesn't come close to hitting the shooter in the shooting pocket, throwing off his rhythm. And with the way our team shoots, that's a big deal. Whether the guy does a no-look pass, a fancy pass, or whether he's just never been coached to hit the shooting pocket so even his two handed chest passes are off, it's been a problem. Look out for it if you haven't already noticed. 

I’ve seen them working on it in practice clips. 

6 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

As usual you miss the point. We made a lot of shots against Purdue and Grand Canyon, so we won. As long as we shoot like that, we'll win. The odds of shooting like that are slim, so we're still on track for 20 wins and a 9-seed / first-round exit from the NCAAs.

EDIT-- unless you literally, credulously believe that Shaka has suddenly cold fusioned his way to a team that can reliably shoot 50% from three and 90% from the line. Meaning you think that he has been trying to crack this particular nut for four years and it's only just prior to the Purdue game that he got there.

I think it's far more likely that the team did what the team does and in consecutive games, the same open looks we've gotten all year long dropped instead of clanging, and Shaka Smart like most coaches wants credit for that (since he takes the blame when the shots don't fall), so he coachspoke his way to "the ball going through the rim was my idea". 

Lmao at "cold-fusioned"

6 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

This person writes like Derka.

except that i try not to ever respond to that retarded troll, much less go back and forth with him. "great j'covan brown reference, best natural scorer ever at UT!" he was trying to bait me (obviously, especially considering the post he'd made two seconds prior was talking shit about barnes).i don't fall for his bait, but other people still do. 

Edited by Goo Punch

After Providence we have UTA on the 28th, and then this is our January schedule (KU on 1/29 not pictured)

304aa6baf214ba98a48e6fcba58cda63.jpg

Here are the current KenPom rankings of the teams we face in January (Texas is currently #31). Will be interesting to see where everyone is at the end of the month.

KSU-30
WVU-40
OSU-77
TTU-9
KU-3
OU-28
TCU-27
UGA-126
KU- 3

Shit gets real in January.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

just some general thoughts, and sort of piggybacking on something that @Catdaddyhorn has commented on- re:the type of players (especially guards) we need to recruit-

there's one specific skill set we should be looking for in our recruits going forward: guys who can score inside the three point line. people get so carried away in modern analytics that it's like they forget that the rockets and warriors are exemplary and exceptional, and not a model to try and follow for amateur teams. bottom line- we need guys who can both get to the rim and who have a mid range game, particularly off the dribble. guys like this are unstoppable inside the three point line- i'm talking monte morris, dj augustin, frank mason, etc. bottom line, when you can get to the rim *and* hit a pull up mid range jumper you can create your own offense whenever you need to.

as shitty as the shaka era has been, and as convinced as i am that he is *not* the right coach, if he had simply recruited a few of these guys i doubt his job security would have ever been in question to this point. i still don't think he coaches them up very well, but his offenses at Texas require these guys and for whatever reason he hasn't gone and gotten them. 

In your earlier post you talk about inaccurate passing.  This is one of the most telling signs about shaka.  I'm not a basketball coach and have never been one, but I assume accurate passing is one of the most fundamental of fundamentals.  One of the easiest things to teach and one of the easiest things to practice.  If you aren't recruiting guys who can at least pass the ball then what in the hell are you even recruiting? Further, if you are recruiting guys who can't pass and you don't teach them how to pass then what in the hell are you even coaching?  One of the first thing HCBS teaches is an entry pass to the low block from every guard spot on the perimeter.  Everyone on the KU roster can make that pass with consistency.  Same with slip screens, kick outs, and drive and dish passes.

There are so many red flags at this point that if I were CDC I would bring him into the office and as "what the hell do you actually do here?" type questions.  I don't follow UT basketball closely but I can't think of one player that has gotten "fundamentally" better under his watch.  It's like he sits in his office and says "let's recruit the highest rated player we can get, let's get ourselves a guy who scores 27 ppg in HS (doesn't matter how or against what competition), ohhh.... and we need someone to be a big body.  Let's get Osekowski."  I feel like there isn't any rhyme or reason to anything Shaka does.

x/post-

down 11-2 with the first unit, then Ramey and Hayes come in and it's 13-10. Every fucking game. Our coach is a fucking moron. 

don't tell me it doesn't matter who starts. we went from total ineptitude, to subbing in our freshmen and going three, alley oop, layup and 1, on consecutive possessions. fucking stupid.

Edited by Goo Punch

x/post-

no way CDC sits around and just accepts another year (or what's more two years) of this type of indefensible failure. We recruit with the likes of UNC, UK, KU, Gonzaga, and Michigan State, and we recruit *better* than schools like Nova, UVA, and Michigan, and yet we are bottom dwellers in our conference and one of the fundamentally worst teams in America. No way CDC just sits around and says, "sorry guys, hands are tied". If he sees a viable candidate who is available he will go after him. 

• Like 1

our team has embarrassed me all season with their histrionics, but last night took the cake. it's been bad enough already- we'll be losing by 9 at home to southwest arkansas tech, and we'll go on a 6-0 run prompting the away coach to call a TO, and our guys will be chest bumping and yelling in each other's faces and getting all hyped up like it's a tourney game, like we *aren't* currently losing sat home to a directional school while shooting 22% from the field. it's embarrassing.

but that said, that floor slapping shit last night was a monumental embarrassment. cringe worthy, and emblematic of the shaka smart era. first off, the shit looked choreographed. the way the team did the floor slap in a perfect chain, starting at the top guard and then going around the horn, one right after the other, in perfect rhythm- what the fuck. these kids seriously better not have practiced that shit, which is what it looked like. that shit better have just been serendipity. but then, to have the ball *immediately* go from half court to the rim for two easy points is just the icing on the cake. they should have canceled the fucking season at that very moment. 

i'm serious, that moment crushed me. that was it for me. i've never been more embarrassed by a Texas basketball team. iva accepted that were going tj bad under shaka a long time ago, and the collapse of 2010 hurt me to my core, but i've never been so completely embarrassed of our team like i was in that moment last night. the kind of thing that, if a&m were in our situation and their team did that, would be immortalized forever by our own fans- the floor slap is the johnny jolly dance of Texas basketball. our program is a joke, and our head coach is clown shoes. i never thought it would get this bad. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

our team has embarrassed me all season with their histrionics, but last night took the cake. it's been bad enough already- we'll be losing by 9 at home to southwest arkansas tech, and we'll go on a 6-0 run prompting the away coach to call a TO, and our guys will be chest bumping and yelling in each other's faces and getting all hyped up like it's a tourney game, like we *aren't* currently losing sat home to a directional school while shooting 22% from the field. it's embarrassing.

but that said, that floor slapping shit last night was a monumental embarrassment. cringe worthy, and emblematic of the shaka smart era. first off, the shit looked choreographed. the way the team did the floor slap in a perfect chain, starting at the top guard and then going around the horn, one right after the other, in perfect rhythm- what the fuck. these kids seriously better not have practiced that shit, which is what it looked like. that shit better have just been serendipity. but then, to have the ball *immediately* go from half court to the rim for two easy points is just the icing on the cake. they should have canceled the fucking season at that very moment. 

i'm serious, that moment crushed me. that was it for me. i've never been more embarrassed by a Texas basketball team. iva accepted that were going tj bad under shaka a long time ago, and the collapse of 2010 hurt me to my core, but i've never been so completely embarrassed of our team like i was in that moment last night. the kind of thing that, if a&m were in our situation and their team did that, would be immortalized forever by our own fans- the floor slap is the johnny jolly dance of Texas basketball. our program is a joke, and our head coach is clown shoes. i never thought it would get this bad. 

I hope somebody posts a video of this. I didn’t watch the game but I need a good laugh this morning. 

2 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

according to kenpom, of the top 70 teams in the country only four (arizona, baylor, k state, and penn state) have a worse offense than Texas. 

There's a lot of rape in that group.  

x/post

If you have the game recording, go back at some point and watch the period betweem 9:01-8:22 in the 2H. It's the perfect illustration of what I've been talking about with our passing. First, Febres makes a bad pass to Coleman in the corner. This pass should be in the shooting pocket, and Coleman should be in a catch-and-shoot situation from the corner, one of the highest percentage shots in basketball. Coleman ultimately gives Long a pass at/near the shooting pocket and he knocks it down. Fast forward a couple of possesions and it's Coleman again who hits Febres in the shooting pocket, and Febres knocks it doen. Precise passing matters, doubly so when you're inconsistent at shooting.

I think with our SOS, winning 9 games in another tough year in the Big XII (admittedly not quite as deep a league as in recent years, but still damn salty)...is enough to get us in.  9-4 in non-conf (assuming a UGA win), and 9-9 in Big XII is 18-13, pick up a win in the conf. tourney and we're in.  

However, after seeing the whole body of December work with this team and watching the middle of the pack Big XII teams absolutely take care of OOC business for the most part...I have no fucking idea where we pick up anything more than 6 wins in league play.  

This team is NIT bound unless we steal a few upsets with the likes of Tech, OU, or TCU (and then some in the league tourney).  

Side note---Texas was picked up for the 2K Classic in Manhattan next season.  Weekend before Thanksgiving.  Field is us, Duke, Georgetown, and Cal.  

In looking at the four losses + UTA:

DO has taken 51 shots making 17 of them - 33%.

Hayes has taken 26 shots making 19 shots - 73%.

I know shot selection, position, situation, etc... can be different between two players, but why doesn't Smart adjust something, somewhere to capitalize on a strength while, at the same time, minimizing a weakness?  

4 hours ago, Lobo said:

I think with our SOS, winning 9 games in another tough year in the Big XII (admittedly not quite as deep a league as in recent years, but still damn salty)...is enough to get us in.  9-4 in non-conf (assuming a UGA win), and 9-9 in Big XII is 18-13, pick up a win in the conf. tourney and we're in.  

However, after seeing the whole body of December work with this team and watching the middle of the pack Big XII teams absolutely take care of OOC business for the most part...I have no fucking idea where we pick up anything more than 6 wins in league play.  

This team is NIT bound unless we steal a few upsets with the likes of Tech, OU, or TCU (and then some in the league tourney).  

Side note---Texas was picked up for the 2K Classic in Manhattan next season.  Weekend before Thanksgiving.  Field is us, Duke, Georgetown, and Cal.  

he needs 10 - 8. too many bad losses at home.  big 12 is down so 9-9 is not a given this year.

Royce Hamm looks like the only big with a functioning low post game and consistent aggressiveness on the offensive and defensive boards. He's the type of junkyard dog successful Rick Barnes teams thrived on. It's a travesty that this guy couldn't get off the bench for all of last season and 10 games of this season.

An under discussed (Derka is the only person I've ever seen bring it up) aspect of our deficiencies during the Shaka years has been our rebounding. In all 4 years of his tenure we've rebounded below our capabilities and it's a big part of our inconsistencies over that time. And it seems to be by design at least on the offensive end

Thank goodness Shaka stopped his insane practice of not even putting rebounders on the lane during our free throws, but practice exemplifies the lack of emphasis he places on offensive rebounding philosophically.

I don’t understand why this matters anyway

Of course it matters. It’s the difference between a benign issue of being sick vs one of your top players and team leaders getting benched for some behavioral reason. That’s a big deal.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Cotton-headed ninny-muggins.

Props for the Elf reference, but Roach being "DNP - Coach's Decision" isn't that weird. If that one post can be believed, perhaps Shaka is sending a message to Roach about driving the ball more, or maybe Roach broke a team rule. Whatever the case, this team is lead by Coleman and Roach and the Providence game was probably what Shaka felt was his last chance to send a message to his star player before the important conference stretch begins.

• Fuck You 1

I am extremely interested in finding out what Kerwin Roach has done to go from UNC hero All American badass to whipping boy in six weeks. One of the more strange developments of my lifetime following the program. Justin Mason wore down over time, but this is our best, most senior player who came into the season hoping to be an All Conference player and NBA draft pick, and by all accounts he's a good kid who doesn't have a ton of baggage or work ethic issues. For him to go from hero to doghouse so fast is very strange. Particularly since Shaka doesn't really have any history of putting anybody in the doghouse once he's established his place in the team. 

Edited by Goo Punch