Germany in December

Brisketexan

1 minute ago, TXSG8R said:

Yea, she might have been confusing a statewide lockdown with country wide. I know Bavaria is shut down. I also think she might be picking up some forecasting from the news since the new gov’t coalition has formed.  Im hoping it works out for you, but the numbers are still getting worse. 

Yeah.....we're just keeping our eye on the ball.  If we can visit my son and our friends, and go to some Christmas markets with restricted access, that'll be good enough for government work.  We're fully vaxxed, will register as soon as we get there, and we're find wearing masks everywhere.

I just think that the God's honest truth is that the only thing that makes a material statistical difference is widespread vaccination -- both to limit transmission and sharply reduce hospitalization/death, and it seems like Germany is looking that direction as well.  Masks help some.  Isolation help some.  But I think we've seen that at least as far as "lockdowns" go, the juice isn't worth the squeeze.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yeah.....we're just keeping our eye on the ball.  If we can visit my son and our friends, and go to some Christmas markets with restricted access, that'll be good enough for government work.  We're fully vaxxed, will register as soon as we get there, and we're find wearing masks everywhere.

I just think that the God's honest truth is that the only thing that makes a material statistical difference is widespread vaccination -- both to limit transmission and sharply reduce hospitalization/death, and it seems like Germany is looking that direction as well.  Masks help some.  Isolation help some.  But I think we've seen that at least as far as "lockdowns" go, the juice isn't worth the squeeze.

Well, I think lockdown means a little more over there because they actually enforce things. Just like vaccine and mask mandates mean more because they have teeth. They have cops doing random checks in restaurants enforcing 2G, they aren’t relying on an honor system with people taking advantage of it. Lockdowns are definitely heavy handed, but if it’s actually done (not like ours, actually shutting shit down and having people avoid each other), it will blunt spread. You can’t spread if people aren’t in contact with each other. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Sigh. Starting to get pessimistic. Things continue to get worse (was hoping they’d peak by now), and the govt is making noises about further measures.

So, we’ll see….but I’m now leaning towards it being more likely that this trip won’t happen. I mean, sure, why not. 2021 has been an utter crap sandwich for us, might as well keep the streak going till the very end.

8 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Sigh. Starting to get pessimistic. Things continue to get worse (was hoping they’d peak by now), and the govt is making noises about further measures.

So, we’ll see….but I’m now leaning towards it being more likely that this trip won’t happen. I mean, sure, why not. 2021 has been an utter crap sandwich for us, might as well keep the streak going till the very end.

I think it's too soon to be pessimistic. But I get that's a normal impulse. I'm fighting it and just intend to be wary. When do you leave? I'm scheduled to leave in mid December for Italy and just plan to keep an eye on key reservation cancellation dates. Just today Italy ramped up their Green Card requirements. However more about the new variant will be known in the coming days and 2 weeks. It's unlikely to render vaccines impotent.

I think it's too soon to be pessimistic. But I get that's a normal impulse. I'm fighting it and just intend to be wary. When do you leave? I'm scheduled to leave in mid December for Italy and just plan to keep an eye on key reservation cancellation dates. Just today Italy ramped up their Green Card requirements. However more about the new variant will be known in the coming days and 2 weeks. It's unlikely to render vaccines impotent.

My daughter is supposed to head there next Wednesday, and we’re supposed to go the Wednesday after (ironically, our itineraries don’t overlap at all, so we won’t see her). We’re going to go through the weekend, and see what the govt says on Monday, and make a decision then.

The new variant and travel shutdowns bode even MORE poorly.

In fact, we're starting to wonder whether the boy will even be able to fly home for Christmas.  Concern about him getting out, and concern about him getting back.  We've got a few weeks yet to figure it out.

But fuck this pandemic.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 11/26/2021 at 10:21 PM, Brisketexan said:

The new variant and travel shutdowns bode even MORE poorly.

In fact, we're starting to wonder whether the boy will even be able to fly home for Christmas.  Concern about him getting out, and concern about him getting back.  We've got a few weeks yet to figure it out.

But fuck this pandemic.

Yep, travel is getting messy again. I’m just back to London after 2 weeks in the US and new travel restrictions go in place here on Tuesday. It’s not too bad, you just have to isolate until you get the results of your day 2 test back upon return. Hopefully Omicron won’t be that bad and this will all settle down in a few weeks. I’m optimistic.

31 minutes ago, Doug E. Fresh said:

Yep, travel is getting messy again. I’m just back to London after 2 weeks in the US and new travel restrictions go in place here on Tuesday. It’s not too bad, you just have to isolate until you get the results of your day 2 test back upon return. Hopefully Omicron won’t be that bad and this will all settle down in a few weeks. I’m optimistic.

Except they now want the day 2 test to be PCR, and not the antigen.  If they could guarantee a rapid PCR, that would be fine.  Why won’t the UK accept an antigen test taken right before you leave and once you arrive?  I’m seriously considering avoiding London all together until I am coming back for work the week after Paris.

• Fuck You 1

7 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Except they now want the day 2 test to be PCR, and not the antigen.  If they could guarantee a rapid PCR, that would be fine.  Why won’t the UK accept an antigen test taken right before you leave and once you arrive?  I’m seriously considering avoiding London all together until I am coming back for work the week after Paris.

It makes no sense, does it? Isn't the antigen test more effective than a PCR test specifically if the goal is to detect near-term infection? 

I'm transiting airside through LHR to FCO soon (and back again a month later) and it appears GB's rules have remained the same. Just have to be up to date on vaccines and fill out a passenger locator form. Once some of the many unknowns about omnicom become known in the next couple weeks I'm not going to be shocked to see the rules change.

2 hours ago, Chopper said:

It makes no sense, does it? Isn't the antigen test more effective than a PCR test specifically if the goal is to detect near-term infection? 

I'm transiting airside through LHR to FCO soon (and back again a month later) and it appears GB's rules have remained the same. Just have to be up to date on vaccines and fill out a passenger locator form. Once some of the many unknowns about omnicom become known in the next couple weeks I'm not going to be shocked to see the rules change.

No, PCR is more reliable than antigen. You can get same day results in London if you know where to go or worst case 24 hours for results.

Still, a 48 to 72 hour isolation is pointless. People won’t follow the rules and there aren’t enough NHS contact tracing staff to meaningfully enforce it.

Edited by Doug E. Fresh

5 minutes ago, Doug E. Fresh said:

No, PCR is more reliable than antigen. You can get same day results in London if you know where to go or worst case 24 hours for results.

Yes, I agree PCR results are generally more reliable than antigen. However, antigen tests are more reliable or perhaps it's better to say they're a better option for testing in certain situations. PCR accuracy depends on a higher viral load. If infection is recent -- for example while in an airplane or at an airport prior to a flight -- the viral load is unlikely to be high enough to be detected by PCR. As I understand it, an antigen test is more likely to pick up recent infections because viral load isn't as significant. The downside with antigen tests is the false positives.

For example: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8444381/

"The pooled sensitivity of Rapid Antigen Detection Tests was significantly increased in subjects with viral load of Ct-value ≤25 or in those within 5 days after symptom onset than it was in subjects with lower viral loads or longer symptom duration...The Rapid Antigen Detection Tests were more sensitive for samples of Ct-value ≤ 25 and might be suitable for subjects in the community within 5 days of symptom onset.

My feeling is, if you're going to test people who've already been vaccinated, it makes more sense to target travelers who've been exposed recently and en masse and antigen tests seem to do that better. For example, I'd want to know asap if a particular airplane or airport is a "hot spot."

Merkel meeting with all 16 governors as an outgoing thing today to discuss COVID.  German high court tomorrow to rule on legality of some of the prior restrictions the gov't put in place.  Denmark indicating that while it might put more travel restrictions in place (expected to be additional African nations, if any), it does not expect to tighten social restrictions beyond their current masking and vaccination requirements.

If Germany and Denmark can stick with the 2G approach (many/most places restricted to vaccinated, with masks), we'll probably be able to make it happen.  But, we remain in wait-and-see mode, 9 days out from planned departure.

Did I mention that I'm not a huge fan of this timeline?

• Hook 'Em 2

Still waiting on a govt action plan. Hopefully looking like most restrictions will be on unvaxxed, and their case count appears to be stabilizing.

But the wife is still nervous about getting there and things being shut down, and she’s concerned about a heightened risk of COVID for us, but I think their per capita counts aren’t super far off from ours at home. But…still working on it.

• Hook 'Em 1

It's either here or Holy Shit in Lulz

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/three-injured-after-explosion-munich-police-2021-12-01/

BERLIN, Dec 1 (Reuters) - Four people were injured when an old aircraft bomb exploded at a bridge near Munich's busy main train station on Wednesday, police said on Twitter, raising the number of wounded from three earlier.

CSB Warning:  I was late for a meeting in Frankfurt several years ago because they had to shut down a road to disarm a WWII bomb they found at a construction site.  I know it's common, but still amazes me.

Edited by Incredulity

So, the short story is.....we still don't know what to fucking do.  Seems like both the German gov't and the US gov't are going to make big decisions tomorrow, and they don't bode well.  Germany may significantly tighten restrictions there, and the situation isn't getting any better.  And the US may impose requirements on testing to return that will be onerous (a same-day test before, AND testing once you return).  

My daughter is set to land in Frankfurt in a few hours - she scraped together money for a cheap flight, to visit her brother and friends.  AND, to self-medicate through travel.  My wife is kinda pissed at her, thinks it's wasteful, self-indulgent, and irresponsible.  My take is that she's an adult, it's her money, she can do what she wants.  BUT, she may have some hassle getting back in to Canada at the end -- who knows?

AND....the boy and his exchange brother are supposed to come here starting 12/22 (we have been planning to be on the same flight returning home).  So, we're watching anxiously about the possible American travel restrictions.

Fuck this fucking pandemic that won't end.

SO.....if we bail on this trip, we may just do a week somewhere domestic, just because we have to fucking get away for a bit for sanity's sake.  But I don't know where, or what we want to do.  Maybe NYC?  Maybe Denver?  Perhaps Odessa, or Big Spring?

• Hook 'Em 1

@Brisketexan

1. I’ll rent you a suite at Casa de Putt, in the 2nd ward. 6 min walk to Ninfas on navigation / el tiempo. 6 good bars within walking distance. No Charge for coffee at my place.

2. The boy is headed home, id stay here and not risk it. Focus on the 22nd

3. Read 1 

Edited by tx 3 putt

15 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

So, the short story is.....we still don't know what to fucking do.  Seems like both the German gov't and the US gov't are going to make big decisions tomorrow, and they don't bode well.  Germany may significantly tighten restrictions there, and the situation isn't getting any better.  And the US may impose requirements on testing to return that will be onerous (a same-day test before, AND testing once you return).  

My daughter is set to land in Frankfurt in a few hours - she scraped together money for a cheap flight, to visit her brother and friends.  AND, to self-medicate through travel.  My wife is kinda pissed at her, thinks it's wasteful, self-indulgent, and irresponsible.  My take is that she's an adult, it's her money, she can do what she wants.  BUT, she may have some hassle getting back in to Canada at the end -- who knows?

AND....the boy and his exchange brother are supposed to come here starting 12/22 (we have been planning to be on the same flight returning home).  So, we're watching anxiously about the possible American travel restrictions.

SO.....if we bail on this trip, we may just do a week somewhere domestic, just because we have to fucking get away for a bit for sanity's sake.  But I don't know where, or what we want to do.  Maybe NYC?  Maybe Denver?  Perhaps Odessa, or Big Spring?

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

NYC is fun at Christmas.

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

If the US allows the Abbot antigen tests, it is really easy.  You can do it in your hotel before you head to the airport and than do the same thing once you return.  Seems pretty easy.  Yeah, it’s more than we were doing, and I think it is overkill,  but if those tests are ok for that use….

Infections have supposedly quadrupled in a week or so, so the speculation is Italy may impose country-wide restrictions too, on top of what they already do for the non-vaxxed. FUCK. I have no problem masking up but it feels a bit burdensome as a tourist considering we'd be doing a shit-load of walking. I'm comfortable with the health risks at this point but I'm not sure how to feel about the potential inconveniences.

Entry back into the US doesn't sound like a problem. Just a single test of either variety, as they're announcing today. For now.

correction: beginning Saturday masks are required outdoors in the most popular outdoor zones in Rome. JFC.

Edited by Chopper

Still letting things shake out today......it LOOKS like Germany is going to go with a nationwide 2G plan, which means that the vaccinated can do most things, and things won't be shut down to the vaccinated.  MAYBE bars and nightclubs will close if the infection rate in particular states gets high enough, but we weren't planning on clubbing all night long (this may put a cramp in the boy's social life, and just when he's making his play for the cute Dutch girl, though).  So, it SEEMS that a trip to Germany remains viable, but let's see if the day brings any more details.

And we're waiting for what Biden says, but if it's what has been discussed this morning -- just changing the pre-flight test window from 72 hours to 24 hours, we can handle that.  We have been worried about testing/quarantine requirements once arriving back in the US.

Which seems to be one of the things Canada is imposing on its people again.  So, when my daughter flies back to Canada, she'll have to test upon arrival, and we think quarantine until she gets her test result.  She quarantined in her apartment in her room last time that was in place, so presumably that will work again, and it's just until the test results come back, which is pretty quick.

Daughter is in Berlin right now -- arrived a few hours ago.  Registered her vaccine at a pharmacy quickly, downloaded it to the app, so now she has a German vaccine passport, pretty easy.

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Germany locks down the unvaccinated and mandates vaccines (basically what Austria previously announced). If you were vaccinated more than nine months ago, they consider you unvaccinated. 

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/02/europe/germany-lockdown-covid-restrictions-intl/index.html 

Yep.  We are all vaxxed and boosted recently, so we're good.  Deciding our path tonight.

• Hook 'Em 2

Ok, we're going.  Daughter is there right now, in fact is at a Christmas market in Berlin right now.  If you are vaxxed and registered (which is super easy to do once you get there), you have access to most of the stuff we'd want to do (mostly outdoor markets, and a couple of museums etc. with capacity restrictions).  A lot more mask-wearing, which we're fine with.  And we'll be able to visit our son, and several friends.

There's some risk, and some additional hassle, but on balance, we're okay with it, and of course being vaccinated and boosted, and perfectly willing to wear masks, we are comfortable that we won't burden the local system.  AND, like most places, they can use the tourist money -- the people who work the markets took a beating losing a year, so seems good to support them, wisely.

Of course, there are arguments that we're making the wrong choice, and they aren't without merit either.  Such is life in these times.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Ok, we're going.  Daughter is there right now, in fact is at a Christmas market in Berlin right now.  If you are vaxxed and registered (which is super easy to do once you get there), you have access to most of the stuff we'd want to do (mostly outdoor markets, and a couple of museums etc. with capacity restrictions).  A lot more mask-wearing, which we're fine with.  And we'll be able to visit our son, and several friends.

There's some risk, and some additional hassle, but on balance, we're okay with it, and of course being vaccinated and boosted, and perfectly willing to wear masks, we are comfortable that we won't burden the local system.  AND, like most places, they can use the tourist money -- the people who work the markets took a beating losing a year, so seems good to support them, wisely.

Of course, there are arguments that we're making the wrong choice, and they aren't without merit either.  Such is life in these times.

Keep us posted!  I am hoping to be in London and France in about 5 weeks time.  Keeping fingers and toes crossed for everyone!

24 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I'm actually nervous as hell about WHATEVER we do.  These are uncertain times.  And I fucking hate it.  But.....we live in the times we live in.

If I were you, my biggest worry would be getting trapped if flights are canceled. I think timing wise though you're OK - @PenelopeWitherspoon I think will have bigger issues with France once the new variant starts taking over mainland Europe (which probably will be the week after Christmas if we follow other variant timelines). 

It all sucks. I'm sorry you all are dealing with this, but I think you'll have a great trip. Berlin is an amazing city ... really one of my favs.  

Edited by The Ace of Aces
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, The Ace of Aces said:

If I were you, my biggest worry would be getting trapped if flights are canceled. I think timing wise though you're OK - @PenelopeWitherspoon I think will have bigger issues with France once the new variant starts taking over mainland Europe (which probably will be the week after Christmas if we follow other variant timelines). 

Yeah, I think the key thing we'll monitor is if it looks like they'd  start shutting down travel and flights....we won't delay.  We'll book the next flight out of wherever the hell we happen to be.  WORST case scenario.....we have friends in Germany with whom we could stay and ride things out.  And I can of course work remotely.  That would utterly suck, and I think we have learned something from previous travel shutdowns in that there will be a window of time for people to repatriate themselves home.

But as always.....we shall see.   There's not a thing we do in these times that doesn't involve some element of rolling the dice.

• Hook 'Em 2

41 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I'm actually nervous as hell about WHATEVER we do.  These are uncertain times.  And I fucking hate it.  But.....we live in the times we live in.

20 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

It all sucks. I'm sorry you all are dealing with this, but I think you'll have a great trip. Berlin is an amazing city ... really one of my favs.  

17 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yeah, I think the key thing we'll monitor is if it looks like they'd  start shutting down travel and flights....we won't delay.  We'll book the next flight out of wherever the hell we happen to be.  WORST case scenario.....we have friends in Germany with whom we could stay and ride things out.  And I can of course work remotely.  That would utterly suck, and I think we have learned something from previous travel shutdowns in that there will be a window of time for people to repatriate themselves home.

But as always.....we shall see.   There's not a thing we do in these times that doesn't involve some element of rolling the dice.

As of now, I am still going.  I know the UK and France are really trying to not lock down again.  I think we will know a lot more in a couple of weeks.  I have preemtively reached out to Marriott Villas to ask if they could change the refund period since it is 14 days out.  I may not know 14 days out what is going on.  

Everything else is easier.  I am just hoping I can go and actually enjoy the trip.  If I cannot, earliest I would be able to go to Paris is May, and I was seriously contemplating a week in Capri in June.  Hell, maybe I would just do my London trips for work (I also think I have to go to Geneva) and then do Paris and Capri in June.  I would spend so much money it would be obscene.  LOL.

Checked in and waiting on our flight to Munich (then we connect to Berlin).

Checking in online was a hassle. Spent probably an hour uploading info and documents into United and Lufthansa portals the last couple of days Had to fill out vaccine info and upload vaccine card images to both carriers. But, all approved and ready to go. And the girl had been visiting her brother in Berlin the past week and has had a great time. So, here we go.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Checked in and waiting on our flight to Munich (then we connect to Berlin).

Checking in online was a hassle. Spent probably an hour uploading info and documents into United and Lufthansa portals the last couple of days Had to fill out vaccine info and upload vaccine card images to both carriers. But, all approved and ready to go. And the girl had been visiting her brother in Berlin the past week and has had a great time. So, here we go.

good luck brother

• Hook 'Em 1

First short evening in Berlin. Got to see our kid for the first time in months - that was a highlight.

Had to immediately register our vaccines to get a QR code to scan into the EU Covi-pass app….you really can’t get in anywhere without it. Tried the drugstore nearby, and they couldn’t do it right away. The boy just dragged us onto the U bahn to go to the one he frequents, it took us 5 minutes, done.

Grabbed flammkuchen for dinner at a place in the Gendarmenmarkt area. It was fine. But Jesus, we’ve exported shitty American Christmas music EVERYWHERE. We even had to listen to a shitty American pop cover of Feliz Navidad….in Germany. Not optimal.

The markets look great, we’ll start visiting some tomorrow. For now, bed, to try to get on schedule.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

First short evening in Berlin. Got to see our kid for the first time in months - that was a highlight.

Had to immediately register our vaccines to get a QR code to scan into the EU Covi-pass app….you really can’t get in anywhere without it. Tried the drugstore nearby, and they couldn’t do it right away. The boy just dragged us onto the U bahn to go to the one he frequents, it took us 5 minutes, done.

Grabbed flammkuchen for dinner at a place in the Gendarmenmarkt area. It was fine. But Jesus, we’ve exported shitty American Christmas music EVERYWHERE. We even had to listen to a shitty American pop cover of Feliz Navidad….in Germany. Not optimal.

The markets look great, we’ll start visiting some tomorrow. For now, bed, to try to get on schedule.

Market tip - eat lots of bratwurst, pretzels and spaetzle.  Pass on the Gluwhein.  Or maybe have one just so you know how much it sucks, and then get something else to drink.

Edited by Chewbacca
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Market tip - eat lots of bratwurst, pretzels and spaetzle.  Pass on the Gluwhein.  Or maybe have one just so you know how much it sucks, and then get something else to drink.

The boy was raving about the wurst at the market, so will definitely indulge. He also liked the gluewhein, so I’ll at least try it. But….they also have beer. Mmmmm…..beer.

Crashed out last night, woke up at a reasonable hour, so I think we’re already on schedule.

Will be visiting the boys school and his residence today, taking his friends out for Turkish grub at our favorite place for lunch. Then, we’re meeting up with my wife’s high school ex and his family (he works for one of the news channels here) to stroll a market and have dinner.
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

The boy was raving about the wurst at the market, so will definitely indulge. He also liked the gluewhein, so I’ll at least try it. But….they also have beer. Mmmmm…..beer.

Crashed out last night, woke up at a reasonable hour, so I think we’re already on schedule.

Will be visiting the boys school and his residence today, taking his friends out for Turkish grub at our favorite place for lunch. Then, we’re meeting up with my wife’s high school ex and his family (he works for one of the news channels here) to stroll a market and have dinner.

Yeah glugwein is good, and takes the chill away as you move from vendor to vendor, but a cold beer beats it as the go to drink.

Just did the casual part of the day, met the boy at school and took him and friends to lunch. Went to our favorite Turkish place, also happens to be right by the school, El Reif. Got the mega-mezze plate….plenty of leftovers for hungry young folks to take home.

df2f943cf79389f8787f7e12f0c6669a.jpg

Made a quick swing through the Alexanderplatz Christmas market - will spend more time there with friends tomorrow.

43f767cbba5b6076ba62c6d141aa0a9d.jpg

The amount of food and booze in just a small market is….impressive. Would you like a small plate of curry wurst?

31d27afda63b8d0a50094838f6c79eb3.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4