Massive Violet Crown Amphitheater is gonna fuck Bee Cave all up

bolverk

On 10/25/2021 at 12:47 AM, High Plains Drifter said:

I went on a couple of dates with a violinist some years back. She had some sort of callous on her jawline from the violin rubbing. At first I thought it was some sort of birthmark.

She wasn't a red head but she had very pale skin. We went to Barton Springs pool one afternoon and she got horribly sunburned. That was the last time we saw each other.

did you show her your 10" pianist?

On 10/18/2021 at 9:53 PM, bolverk said:

One thing that puzzles me from the schematics that were released is the lack of parking for the 20,000 amphitheater attendees. Like others have said, it could all be bullshit, and the property owners are just trying to raise awareness of the site, using the pretty pictures to get it off their hands and showcase it as a development opportunity for someone else.

I actually know one of the principals at Bercy Chen but haven't hung out with that crowd since my life took that tailspin a few years back. Might reach out to see if this is a real project. The scale and intensity of that development seems "inappropriate" for that site but who knows?

Some jackass managed to get that ACC tower built in Oak Hill after all -- albeit during a time when Texas real estate was like the wild wild west.

I laugh every time I see that building.  Pretty sure it was there when I was at UT.  

I had a couple of classes at the Pinnacle back in the 90s when I was fresh out of the Army and not sure what exactly I wanted to do. Great view from those classrooms, not very conducive to learning.  Always seemed a little odd standing out there in the middle of nowhere.

On 10/19/2021 at 8:46 AM, phdhorn said:

Not sure what this means in this thread.  Bee Cave has no authority over this project, or nothing to do with it.  They can't do anything to foster nor stop it.
Now if this is just a general sentiment, well since I live here, I can say, kinda sorta but not 100%.

I'm out here too and think the residents are already making complaints and I am sure someone will threaten "nuisance" or something.  Also heard of some kind of endangered animal living out there. Either way, I hope it doesn't happen. I don't want to go in my backyard and hear random ass fans/concerts and there are enough golf courses out here already with driving ranges.  no need for another. I have the olds. 

5 hours ago, Atxracer said:

I'm out here too and think the residents are already making complaints and I am sure someone will threaten "nuisance" or something.  Also heard of some kind of endangered animal living out there. Either way, I hope it doesn't happen. I don't want to go in my backyard and hear random ass fans/concerts and there are enough golf courses out here already with driving ranges.  no need for another. I have the olds. 

We need you Oak Hillians to form a human chain around the site while singing folk songs and hosting midnight poetry jams. Birkenstocks and women without bras required.

On 10/19/2021 at 8:35 AM, gmr548 said:

I live in Houston and this shit is definitely filed under "trivial things that make you surly." Just because Houston is unfathomably humid to the point that it makes you question why it's inhabited by humans at all does not mean other places are also not hot and/or humid well beyond the threshold of discomfort, and safety if you're outside for a long time. Say the word "humid" in reference to anywhere else on Earth and you're guaranteed to find out who in the room is from Houston. Maybe it's a coping mechanism, maybe it's all the aggy that just want something to be proud of, but it's really weird and dumb.

Note the map of mean dew points below. Yes, Houston is more uncomfortably humid than the vast majority of the country. So is Austin. Fuck, man, so is Dallas. The whole populated area of this state is uncomfortable as hell in the summer and it is such a strange thing to see Houstonians take a perverse pride in being in the shittiest part. 

Mean%20Dew%20Point%20Temperature%20(Annual).png

If Astroworld was still open it would have it's own spot for J > 70.0

ABJ:

Powerful environmental groups are taking aim at the 71-acre Violet Crown project proposed near Bee Cave, saying it is "about the worst possible location to build a new Austin entertainment district" because of its proximity to environmentally sensitive areas.

Representatives from a number of groups — including the Nature Conservancy, Greater Edwards Aquifer Alliance, Sierra Club Austin, Save Our Springs and Save Barton Creek Association — have released statements opposing the project, with some saying they were "alarmed" after reading about it in news reports.

The biggest concerns are the project's proximity to both Barton Creek and the 4,000-acre Barton Creek Habitat Preserve, which is owned by the nonprofit Nature Conservancy, one of the world's largest environmental groups.

"Potential impacts from the mixed-use, proposed development and 20,000-seat music venue in southwest Austin are very concerning — especially considering the investment that the citizens of Austin and Travis County, The Nature Conservancy, and our government partners have made to protect our aquifer and Hill Country habitat," Claire Everett, communications manager for the Nature Conservancy, wrote in a Nov. 2 post on the group's website. "The proposed project sits immediately adjacent to Barton Creek Habitat Preserve; some of the best golden-cheeked warbler habitat in Travis County would be severely compromised with the traffic, light and noise that a development of this scale would create."

Barton Creek has already been experiencing issues with toxic algae about a half-mile downstream from the site, and environmentalists are concerned the construction and operation of such a facility could add pollutants to the creek. The preserve is home to a number of endangered species, which could be impacted by light, noise, traffic and water pollution from the development.

"If they want to do something like this further out in a more urban area, we certainly wouldn't have a problem with it," said Mike Clifford, technical director for The Greater Edwards Aquifer Alliance. "Right now it's in a place that's just so environmentally sensitive."

• 1 month later...
10 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Back in the news: They're getting sued by Violet Crown Theater in downtown for using the Violet Crown name.

https://www.kvue.com/article/money/business/violet-crown-cinemas-suing-amphitheater-trademark-infringement/269-2871e1fe-ac3f-40e0-b429-577815b7e447

They should call it "The Moody Auditorium" or something.

• Haha 1