Massive Violet Crown Amphitheater is gonna fuck Bee Cave all up

bolverk

11 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

So, a lot of revenue for the city?  DWIs are expensive.

Was thinking more along the lines of a non-trivial number of them seriously hurting or killing themselves and/or others, but I suppose this is another way to look at it.

10 hours ago, WBT said:

What about people that don't live here that live in Houston?

I live in Houston and this shit is definitely filed under "trivial things that make you surly." Just because Houston is unfathomably humid to the point that it makes you question why it's inhabited by humans at all does not mean other places are also not hot and/or humid well beyond the threshold of discomfort, and safety if you're outside for a long time. Say the word "humid" in reference to anywhere else on Earth and you're guaranteed to find out who in the room is from Houston. Maybe it's a coping mechanism, maybe it's all the aggy that just want something to be proud of, but it's really weird and dumb.

Note the map of mean dew points below. Yes, Houston is more uncomfortably humid than the vast majority of the country. So is Austin. Fuck, man, so is Dallas. The whole populated area of this state is uncomfortable as hell in the summer and it is such a strange thing to see Houstonians take a perverse pride in being in the shittiest part. 

Mean%20Dew%20Point%20Temperature%20(Annual).png

the first time i heard the name of the violet crown movie theater i said that sounds gay as hell.

then i found out it was an old o. henry quote describing the austin sky and i changed my tune and thought it was cool.

but now i'm back to how i initially reacted.

14 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

Fuck Bee Cave

Not sure what this means in this thread.  Bee Cave has no authority over this project, or nothing to do with it.  They can't do anything to foster nor stop it.
Now if this is just a general sentiment, well since I live here, I can say, kinda sorta but not 100%.

11 hours ago, Lobo said:

Good point, that tower is just a constant fucking reminder that even when you think you know Central Texas real estate, you really don't.  We got some folks from ACC and City of austin together to talk about turning over (in-kind plus some tax kickers) to house homeless people.  Obviously the neighborhood wasn't gonna like it but Adler shit all over the thing before we could even get it out of the garage.  

I look forward to the bike lane proposal because it's a super smart idea to have hundreds of attendees bike home from Bee Cave to Round Rock at 11:00p after a show.

Well the neighbors are probably still a little sensitive about the homeless guys fire that burned up like 10 or 15 houses back in 2011.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

It's a shame Nate Paul hit the skids, because this screams "World Class Property project!"  Maybe Paxton can help him get back on his feet to make the absurdity of this timeline perfect again.

The more I learn about the two guys actually involved in it, the more I kept thinking, "This sounds like something Nate would be in on."  but as you know better than I do...the WCC secret sauce requires that they're be an existing structure on the site, preferably able to be highly levered despite very little to no income flow from it.  Raw land ground-up doesn't allow for such "shenanigans."  

But as development continues to move out along the Southwest Parkway corridor and 71 fills in from Galleria area to the Y...a large mixed use development like this will occur in the near future.  as PhDhorn points though, a huge chunk of this is actually a really tough place to build on and gets uncomfortably close to some protected natural lands.  Ingress and egress look like a total clusterfuck, but when the hell has that ever stopped us?  The Domain is a complete disaster to get into/out of...only nice part is once you're in there it's pretty navigable. 

But yeah, somebody will come along and maybe put in a golf amenity, little retail/dining center, few mid-rise apartments.  But a 20,000 person amphitheater is not going to happen.  Unless they just wanna build the stage, infrastructure, and a couple thousand permanent seats and then put in a series of moveable walls that can cordon the lawn area off for big shows, and then slide it all open again the next morning and have it serve as a community park for all that multi-family product.  But a lawn holding 15,000 people...that's gonna be ten acres with walkways and temporary concession areas.  That's a lot of land to give up 300+ days a year when there's nothing playing.  Starts to really mess up the cash flow profile of the project. So if you compromise and build a couple thousand permanent seats and then a much smaller lawn, say 5,000 more---well now you're just repeating what they new Moody Amphitheater back in town is doing.  And the larger shows will just play out at COTA.  Although I still think you could see some more competition in the larger venue space (over 10,000)...we will be even more saturated in that with the new Moody Center. 

13 hours ago, Lobo said:

I look forward to the bike lane proposal because it's a super smart idea to have hundreds of attendees bike home from Bee Cave to Round Rock at 11:00p after a show.

To build something in / around Austin you must have "bike lanes" or similar verbiage built into it, else risk the barrage of criticism from the 40 or 50 lunatics who give a shit.  Surprised the proposal doesn't have "pedestrian lanes" built in as well, for those wanting to walk fro, say, Bouldin Creek to the venue and back. Similar to the walk SW Austin residents people now make on the Mopac bridge to appointments downtown, in mid August.  

mopac-bike-bridge.png

• Rage+1 1

18 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Traffic flow going to be interesting.  Are they going to have the adjacent land and be able to dump two lanes right into southwest parkway.  Seems like if they exited right into the controlled intersection they could dump two lane west on 71, two lanes east on 71, and two lanes right into SWP. That might work to clear 20k seats relatively efficiently and direct traffic away from the area. 

If they end up just dumping onto 71 at another access point, that place will be a real shit show. 

Parking garage under the hill... take them about 42 years to burrow that out if Mopac is any yardstick.

2 hours ago, Orange&White said:

Building an outdoor concert venue in a place that gets as much rain as the amazon rainforest doesn't seem well thought out.

I'd like to see the AC units that are gonna cool that outdoor venue... Ever been to Blues on the Green... fucking cesspool of sweat.

It's fine if you're young or a hippy. Older people with money aren't gonna dress up and drink $18 cocktails to watch the symphony when it's 85+ degrees outside (which is about 98% of year).

41 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

I'm fairly sure of two things:

1. the folks behind the project will get exactly what they want to out of this, and;

2. there will never be a giant amphitheater in SW Austin.

I'm just waiting to see who owns the build site and tangential properties... Which illustrious former Austin civil servant is gonna get rich off this deal?

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

This fills a niche for Austin.  I've been hoping we'd eventually get a world-class facility where I can go see Celine Dion, Michael Buble (intimate, scaled down, in the round) and that Dennis DeYoung + Kevin Cronin super tour.

Don't forget Mannheim Steamroller during the holidays. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Isn't Germania/360 about 15,000 people?  Granted, it's not exactly "right in town" but it's less than 15 miles from the CBD.  which is about what this proposed site is.  I really don't see the need for two competing amphitheaters of 15-20k so close to one another.  If this thing was being put way up in the North/NW suburbs corridor, maybe.  but half the allure is that it'll be immersed in this mixed-use project where you'll go eat/drink before a concert.  COTA/360 doesn't really allow for that.  Germania/360's sound isn't particularly awesome, but it's not bad.  Neither one stands as a great option by itself, but there's also not enough programming/demand to justify the two of them  coexisting.  

I think a smaller version of this will come to fruition.  Unless they think Germania360 won't last.  But I think enough other race programming at COTA will keep that project online for at least another decade.  

Now if somebody could figure out a way to have live music at Q2 Arena, that's the part of town you could easily draw 15k for a concert in the Spring or Autumn.  But you'd destroy the shit out of the pitch.  You could have the stage and maybe a few hundred/couple thousands people from penalty arc to penalty arc and fill in the touchline seats from one end to the other...that's probably close to 15k, no?  I would think the sound would be pretty good though for an outdoor show.  

The two in the middle are clearly hotter than the one on the far right.  But the vague, soulless look in the right brunette and her inability to complete a simple task like, "please look straight ahead at the camera"...you know she's down for some dirty Irish sex.  Like filthy shit.  She can be talked into all of it.....

The Cornwall Cornhole, The Isle of Manhood, Erin go Blow, the Welsh Hotfoot.  All that shit.  

28 minutes ago, Lobo said:

The two in the middle are clearly hotter than the one on the far right.  But the vague, soulless look in the right brunette and her inability to complete a simple task like, "please look straight ahead at the camera"...you know she's down for some dirty Irish sex.  Like filthy shit.  She can be talked into all of it.....

The Cornwall Cornhole, The Isle of Manhood, Erin go Blow, the Welsh Hotfoot.  All that shit.  

ahem..

Erin go Bra-less

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, gmr548 said:

I live in Houston and this shit is definitely filed under "trivial things that make you surly." Just because Houston is unfathomably humid to the point that it makes you question why it's inhabited by humans at all does not mean other places are also not hot and/or humid well beyond the threshold of discomfort, and safety if you're outside for a long time. Say the word "humid" in reference to anywhere else on Earth and you're guaranteed to find out who in the room is from Houston. Maybe it's a coping mechanism, maybe it's all the aggy that just want something to be proud of, but it's really weird and dumb.

Note the map of mean dew points below. Yes, Houston is more uncomfortably humid than the vast majority of the country. So is Austin. Fuck, man, so is Dallas. The whole populated area of this state is uncomfortable as hell in the summer and it is such a strange thing to see Houstonians take a perverse pride in being in the shittiest part. 

Mean%20Dew%20Point%20Temperature%20(Annual).png

I used to post the same exact kind of comments..  "hey, Austin, you're humid, too!!!!" and then I moved back to Austin.  Sorry man, F Houston humidity. Definitely.ire comfortable here. Not even close. 

Oh, and that site is going to pour some polluted-ass runoff into Barton Creek 

Edited by texasdago

I went on a couple of dates with a violinist some years back. She had some sort of callous on her jawline from the violin rubbing. At first I thought it was some sort of birthmark.

She wasn't a red head but she had very pale skin. We went to Barton Springs pool one afternoon and she got horribly sunburned. That was the last time we saw each other.

On 10/25/2021 at 12:47 AM, High Plains Drifter said:

I went on a couple of dates with a violinist some years back. She had some sort of callous on her jawline from the violin rubbing. At first I thought it was some sort of birthmark.

She wasn't a red head but she had very pale skin. We went to Barton Springs pool one afternoon and she got horribly sunburned. That was the last time we saw each other.

That is the worst Penthouse Forum letter I've ever read.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3