Alec Baldwin Shoots and Kills Cinematographer, Wounds Director

atomheartbevo

Just now, Onboard 2.0 said:

Yeah cause reasonable safety just ceases to exist in that world when money is the key factor.

either accidentally or intentionally, you're missing the point that the protocol exists because of safety.

now excuse me, i'm off to the classroom!  my students are everything to me.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

either accidentally or intentionally, you're missing the point that the protocol exists because of safety.

now excuse me, i'm off to the classroom!  my students are everything to me.

I get protocol. I've also read there were issues on that particular set directly related to protocol, and safety.  So maybe, just maybe, and I'm just spitballin' here, they should have taken an extra 60 seconds to check weapons in front of everyone involved who would be handling a weapon (one more time) before having them pointed, and tiggers pulled.  I know I know... that's just crazy talk.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, OneOfTheOutOfFocusGuys said:

LA dude that talks about movies all the time and his time working with GGW and is filling this thread with discussions of how movies are made is probably a teacher

Yeah ? Didn't know that.  So then I'd then say it sounds a bit like a classic circling of the Wagons scenario.  We got a bunch of that from the pilot types in the Boeing Max thread.

21 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Yeah and in my profession, I check behind other people to make sure they've done their job properly.  It's called being responsible, ya might wanna get some.

following the standard protocol used in hollywood, guns have been fired on set hundreds of thousands of times, if not more, for decades on end, and in all of that time firing all of those shots, it has ended in someone being shot a total of three times. that's a 99.999% success rate when following those protocols. that's not good enough for you? that's "irresponsible" to you? 

10 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I get protocol. I've also read there were issues on that particular set directly related to protocol, and safety.  So maybe, just maybe, and I'm just spitballin' here, they should have taken an extra 60 seconds to check weapons in front of everyone involved who would be handling a weapon (one more time) before having them pointed, and tiggers pulled.  I know I know... that's just crazy talk.

This

4 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

from all accounts, there were many mistakes made here.  from sloppy hiring/lack of vetting, to budget slashing causing shitty workplace (causing some of the more experienced people to walk), to plain lack of oversight when it comes to important props that can actually kill somebody.  the armorer should've been on top of her shit.  the first ad should've been better informed and stayed in his lane.  i'm not sure where the propmaster was, but he/she should've been involved.

a lot of things went wrong that day.  but for better or worse, baldwin the actor was not part of the problem.  he should not be checking the gun nor should he be expected to, especially if he's not an experienced gun user.  baldwin the producer (or at least people who work under his umbrella) should've been better with the hiring and set conditions, and then when he's handed a cold gun, he would be confident that it is actually a cold gun.

unfortunately, on these indie sets, corners often get cut.  and it's not to "make money", it's typically because "shit is expensive and they haven't got much money".  i have a producer buddy (who's actually from texas and is a mega-trumper) who got into some shit when one of his locations couldn't afford to "keep everyone safe" and they got hit pretty hard with legit sexual harrassment/assault accusations.

the "big hollywood" that the right loves to rail against is not on trial here.  this shit isn't happening on the warner bros backlot.  this is an indie production, and because of stuff like this, you're likely to see fewer of them.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

following the standard protocol used in hollywood, guns have been fired on set hundreds of thousands of times, if not more, for decades on end, and in all of that time firing all of those shots, it has ended in someone being shot a total of three times. that's a 99.999% success rate when following those protocols. that's not good enough for you? that's "irresponsible" to you? 

In this instance yeah, because there was already a record of safety issues on that set.  So taking an extra few second, or an extra step seems a minimally intrusive, and responsible thing to do.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

i'm not sure where the propmaster was, but he/she should've been involved.

One person who turned down the job said part of his reason for doing so was the insistence that he be both armorer and propmaster, because they didn't want to spend on both.  He said it was too much for one person to handle both jobs safely. So I imagine the armorer was the propmaster on this film.  

• Hook 'Em 1

i still can't wrap my head around the people in here who don't understand the following:

1.it's not his job

2.it's not his area of expertise

3.there's no scenario ever where an actor should be fucking around with/inspecting a gun

period. 

IN FACT, imagine if Alec Baldwin had been fucking around with that gun, "inspecting" it to make sure everything was good to go, and the gun had gone off and the exact same result occurred. the very people in this thread who are blaming Alec Baldwin for not checking the gun would be in here screaming, "WTF is he doing screwing around with a firearm like it's a toy?!?! he's a gun-hating libtard actor for christ's sake, you leave that stuff to the experts!!!" 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

i still can't wrap my head around the people in here who don't understand the following:

1.it's not his job

3.there's no scenario ever where an actor should be fucking around with/inspecting a gun

period. 

IN FACT, imagine if Alec Baldwin had been fucking around with that gun, "inspecting" it to make sure everything was good to go, and the gun had gone off and the exact same result occurred. the very people in this thread who are blaming Alec Baldwin for not checking the gun would be in here screaming, "WTF is he doing screwing around with a firearm like it's a toy?!?! he's a gun hating actor for christs sake, you leave that stuff to the experts!!!" 

I'm sorry you must be attempting to be blissfully obtuse here.

It's not his job, but a weapon is handed to you on a set, and you can't ask the person handing it to you to verify the status of that weapon ?  That's some first class BS right there.

Area of expertise ? You mean asking about the status of a weapon handed to you requires expertise ?  Especially when there's already been an established track record of safety issues on that set ?  More first class BS.

He doesn't need to inspect it, he can have the prop master or armorer open the magazine, and verify it's empty or rounds are indeed blank right there  in front of him without him every touching the weapon.  But hey he's qualified to fast draw it, and pull a trigger (coincidentally the most potentially dangerous part of the entire sequence of events once its in his hands). Congrats that's a triple layer of BS.

Awwwwwww skipper......honey hush....

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

I still don't understand how people can't see that a movie set, with an "armorer" on site, is a completely different situation than what is presumed when training gun owners to act responsibly.

The whole point of "always check your weapon" etc. hinges on the idea that the person handling the firearm is the only line of defense against accidents.  The message gets lost if we add "except in the case where your hunting guide checks your weapon immediately prior to handing it to you so you can slaughter Bambi".  If we want people to follow the rules, the rules need to be simple and unambiguous.

On a movie set, with an armorer on site, THEY are likely a better last line of defense against accidents than the average actor.  Simple odds bear that out -- roughly 1/3 of all Americans own guns.  I'd guess that number is lower for actors, but it's a guess.  At any rate, the armorer should be the most experienced and capable gun handler on most film sets.  

Now, when shit goes wrong, as apparently happened with this inexperienced armorer, then accidents are more likely to happen.  That's not an indictment of the film industry, it's an indictment of poor hiring on this particular project.  Whether Baldwin, as one of the producers, has any culpability is a different discussion, but just because one film project out of hundreds of thousands went south doesn't mean the gun handling process must change.  It could mean that the vetting and hiring process needs improvement.

12 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

1.it's not his job

period. 

IN FACT, imagine if Alec Baldwin had been fucking around with that gun, "inspecting" it to make sure everything was good to go, and the gun had gone off and the exact same result occurred. the very people in this thread who are blaming Alec Baldwin for not checking the gun would be in here screaming, "WTF is he doing screwing around with a firearm like it's a toy?!?! he's a gun-hating libtard actor for christ's sake, you leave that stuff to the experts!!!" 

Dude quit trying to CR up this thread. And you're fucking wrong. I don't care whose job it is, if someone hands you a firearm, you should inspect it in a safe manner(ie not fucking pointed at anyone). I'm not pulling a fucking trigger on any gun that I do not know 100% what is in it.......OR some other qualified person(since Alec Baldwin is an ignorant rube) could have checked the gun IMMEDIATELY before it was handed to AB. Blank rounds are noticeably different than an actual live round. This could have easily been avoided.

6 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

It's not his job, but a weapon is handed to you on a set, and you can't ask the person handing it to you to verify the status of that weapon ?  That's some first class BS right there.

Area of expertise ? You mean asking about the status of a weapon handed to you requires expertise ?  Especially when there's already been an established track record of safety issues on that set ?  More first class BS.

He doesn't need to inspect it, he can have the prop master or armorer open the magazine, and verify it's empty or rounds are indeed blank right there  in front of him without him every touching the weapon.  But hey he's qualified to fast draw it, and pull a trigger (coincidentally the most potentially dangerous part of the entire sequence of events once its in his hands). Congrats that's a triple layer of BS.

Oh look, onboard is blathering endlessly about a subject he knows nothing about again, what a surprise.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

6 minutes ago, immortal13 said:

Dude quit trying to CR up this thread. And you're fucking wrong. I don't care whose job it is, if someone hands you a firearm, you should inspect it in a safe manner(ie not fucking pointed at anyone). I'm not pulling a fucking trigger on any gun that I do not know 100% what is in it.......OR some other qualified person(since Alec Baldwin is an ignorant rube) could have checked the gun IMMEDIATELY before it was handed to AB. Blank rounds are noticeably different than an actual live round. This could have easily been avoided.

Oh look, immortal is crying about the cloak room when somone shits on his dumb takes again, what a surprise.

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2
  • Fuck You 1

11 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

as has been posted countless times already, the AD handed him the gun and yelled "COLD GUN!" which *is* "verification of the status of the weapon." 

and you want to talk about being obtuse.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I still don't understand how people can't see that a movie set, with an "armorer" on site, is a completely different situation than what is presumed when training gun owners to act responsibly.

The whole point of "always check your weapon" etc. hinges on the idea that the person handling the firearm is the only line of defense against accidents.  The message gets lost if we add "except in the case where your hunting guide checks your weapon immediately prior to handing it to you so you can slaughter Bambi".  If we want people to follow the rules, the rules need to be simple and unambiguous.

On a movie set, with an armorer on site, THEY are likely a better last line of defense against accidents than the average actor.  Simple odds bear that out -- roughly 1/3 of all Americans own guns.  I'd guess that number is lower for actors, but it's a guess.  At any rate, the armorer should be the most experienced and capable gun handler on most film sets.  

Now, when shit goes wrong, as apparently happened with this inexperienced armorer, then accidents are more likely to happen.  That's not an indictment of the film industry, it's an indictment of poor hiring on this particular project.  Whether Baldwin, as one of the producers, has any culpability is a different discussion, but just because one film project out of hundreds of thousands went south doesn't mean the gun handling process must change.  It could mean that the vetting and hiring process needs improvement.

I view the armorer as no different than a firearm instructor at a shooting range.  Their job is safety first, and foremost I'd think (hope).  This incident IS the rare time it happens, but that there was already a track record of safety issues, they didn't think to maybe just be a bit more cautious because of that ?    

I'm sorry, but I think 99% of the people who post here on Surly would probably try to exercise a bit more caution if they were in a similar, unique situation like that.  It's not job responsibility it's just common sense, cautious precaution. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, shadow_operative said:

as has been posted countless times already, the AD handed him the gun and yelled "COLD GUN!" which *is* "verification of the status of the weapon." 

and you want to talk about being obtuse.

PROP MASTER: Cold gun !!  

DIRECTOR, BALDWIN, OTHER CREW MEMBERS: Hey ya know we've had some issues, let Alec/me please see the open breach... Oh no how dare he/they !!!!

The fact there were previous safety issues on the set, people walked off theoir jobs because of the sense of poor safety seems to escape some of you. 

alright, we all just need to completely ignore onboard and immortal at this point. God himself could come down from heaven, appear before all of us, confirm his existence to humanity, tell those two that they are wrong, and they would still argue with him. 

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, shadow_operative said:

alright, we all just need to completely ignore onboard and immortal at this point. God himself could come down from heaven, appear before all of us, confirm his existence to humanity, tell them that they are wrong, and they would still argue with him. 

Maybe he could accurately "verify" the gun is safe? 🤣🤣🤣

1 hour ago, immortal13 said:

JFc...Visually check the actual bullets. You realize they don't look the same, right? Of course you do 🤣

One of us isn’t comprehending, because I’m of the belief that based on this thread the gun was to be loaded with dummy rounds for the shot, which do look like hot rounds because they are a cartridge and a bullet but instead of powder/primer there’s bbs that will rattle when you shake it. In that instance, the only way to tell would be to take them out and shake them.  I doubt the propmaster would like to see an actor so that on set. 

I thought someone also said earlier that standard practice is for the armorer to do a final check of the firearm with the actor before handing it to them so the actor can see for themselves but not have to know how. 

3 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

alright, we all just need to completely ignore onboard and immortal at this point. God himself could come down from heaven, appear before all of us, confirm his existence to humanity, tell those two that they are wrong, and they would still argue with him. 

Of course we do because your lame point was shot down like AB did to that poor woman

1 minute ago, bad_teammate said:

Actors, a category of people we all know is perfectly capable of safely screwing around with guns, being able to identify their component parts, and distinguish between varying types of ammunication.

lol

The usual collective here sticking fingers in theIr ears and going NANANANANANANANANANANANANANANANANANANANA

10 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

You have to marvel at how quickly it turned from gun safety concern trolling to making jokes and dancing on the victim's grave.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

One of us isn’t comprehending, because I’m of the belief that based on this thread the gun was to be loaded with dummy rounds for the shot, which do look like hot rounds because they are a cartridge and a bullet but instead of powder/primer there’s bbs that will rattle when you shake it. In that instance, the only way to tell would be to take them out and shake them.  I doubt the propmaster would like to see an actor so that on set. 

Nope

33 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Because the people in this thread you are referencing are clearly Cloak Roomers incapable of logic or critical analysis.

19 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

When this guy is the voice of reason and calling you out as an idiot, and everyone agrees with him, you should probably post less.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

The gun went off when AB was rehearsing a cross draw of the gun while the DP and director were setting up the shot. There was no indication that he was pointing the gun directly at the camera and pulling the trigger. So all this bullshit about checking the gun before you point it at the camera and pull the trigger is irrelevant here. 

2 minutes ago, MrBig said:

The gun went off when AB was rehearsing a cross draw of the gun while the DP and director were setting up the shot. There was no indication that he was pointing the gun directly at the camera and pulling the trigger. So all this bullshit about checking the gun before you point it at the camera and pull the trigger is irrelevant here. 

Yeah, no he has a weapon in his hands, there's a record of lax safety protocol on the set., An extra 30 seconds to verify it was indeed safe was not something that should be considered outlandish or not his job.  More deflection from the basic issue of verifying the weapon was  safe.