8 Constitutional Amendments on the ballot

Beau Vine

3 hours ago, gmr548 said:

I respect your opinion as a professional in the field and a generally thoughtful poster, and the same goes for @TwiceHorn giving it +rep. I am legitimately considering changing my mind on this because of the two of you.

My main issue with these are that they very much read like a gatekeeping mechanism for the GOP to maintain and tighten control on the state judiciary. I see they passed both houses of the lege with huge margins, so I guess there's that, but it is hard to trust the Texas GOP on anything. What are your thoughts on that?

I think brisket's right.  Settting aside for a moment the current political landscape, this is a loophole in our judicial conduct system that should have been closed a while back.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Nivek said:

74th voter.   Pathetic showing.

26 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

These things always are.  

We get shitty, shitty government.

And I can't help but conclude that it's also the government we deserve.

If it's any consolation, I just stood in line for about 30 minutes in South Austin before getting my ID checked.

Edit: His mom looked like she had a slow day before the 5pm rush.

Edited by bolverk

18 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

I showed up at the public works something waste of money place by highland mall,, and there was a constant stream of people at 10 am.

Screenshot_20211102-194717_Chrome.jpg

Yeah, Prop A is dead in Austin.

One interesting exercise for me is thinking about voting percentages in terms of small numbers.

Pull a random sample of 20 people and ask them to stand in Group A or Group B.

• Statewide: You've got roughly 11 Conservatives+Leans to every 9 Liberals+Leans
  • Locally: You've got roughly 7 Conservatives+Leans to every 13 Liberals+Leans

Travis County results:

image.thumb.png.313b47c93ffd5f913ebac8e6089afaf5.png

Of course, these are results based on Early Votes only, but the ratios have basically been stuck the last few election cycles.

6 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

Have to give the fascists credit. I never would have given one fuck about any city or state related vote until now.

At the local level, you can at least credit Fitlump and her involvement with Save Austin Now for giving you an incentive to give a shit. That's a plus. Also, recognize she's only the voice of the 183 corridor and Anderson Mill part of town, by and large, and not the whole city.

Statewide, that's where we really need to focus our frustrations. Again, the ratio is 11 to 9, but the GQP runs this state as if the 9 don't exist and they get away with it due to the gerrymander.

9 minutes ago, bolverk said:

At the local level, you can at least credit Fitlump and her involvement with Save Austin Now for giving you an incentive to give a shit. That's a plus. Also, recognize she's only the voice of the 183 corridor and Anderson Mill part of town, by and large, and not the whole city.

Really need to dig into who is guiding her along, because so far, with the exception of an inopportune photo bomb and with her buddying up on some actions with some liberal City Council members, she really hasn't fucked up.  She picks the right sides in the inter-party fighting. She event went after Allen West when he was still the TRP head.  She is constantly visiting and making speeches to groups of like 15 or 20 or 25 people.  Constantly - this is somebody who is not phoning it in, she's playing a long game and reaching out to these little groups to build up a base.  And she doesn't go full MAGA at all on social media.

This just doesn't feel like something she naturally knows.

7 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Really need to dig into who is guiding her along, because so far, with the exception of an inopportune photo bomb and with her buddying up on some actions with some liberal City Council members, she really hasn't fucked up.  She picks the right sides in the inter-party fighting. She event went after Allen West when he was still the TRP head.  She is constantly visiting and making speeches to groups of like 15 or 20 or 25 people.  Constantly - this is somebody who is not phoning it in, she's playing a long game and reaching out to these little groups to build up a base.  And she doesn't go full MAGA at all on social media.

This just doesn't feel like something she naturally knows.

If I had to guess, Matt Mackowiak is her svengali. He may well have discovered her from this very website too, seeing how at least a few Shagsters have mentioned knowing him personally before they say he went off on the deep end. Hell, given those connections, he could also still be a member of this site.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

What I mean is that she's not going on full-blown anti-vaccine, she wears a mask when it's required and isn't ranting about them, etc.  She's.....being careful and rocking as few boats as possible.

No, I got what you meant and you're right.  It's a nice cover for her to support some full on MAGA bullshit like Prop A.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

What I mean is that she's not going on full-blown anti-vaccine, she wears a mask when it's required and isn't ranting about them, etc.  She's.....being careful and rocking as few boats as possible.

Going back to your question about who's shepherding her with a somewhat sophisticated PR campaign through these issues, we should also keep in mind that no matter how "progressive" Austin might be, it is still the seat of government for the state of Texas. Because of that, there's no shortage of sleazeball consultants/advisers who can be drawn from a very deep well of toxic talent.

I mean, look no further than the staff of the TPPF. Anyone of these dicks/cunts could be carefully scripting her public appearances and messages so as to not come off the BPD/narcissist that she is.

What I'm getting at though is that I think you're right - she's not doing this shit on her own. Given her involvement in the larger astroturfed "Save Austin Now" shit, there's definitely someone behind the curtain pulling the strings. I still would like to know who was behind some of those massive campaign contributions she received during her campaign from weird cut-out organizations, especially that fly-by-night marketing firm from Florida.

Edited by bolverk
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, bolverk said:

If I had to guess, Matt Mackowiak is her svengali. He may well have discovered her from this very website too, seeing how at least a few Shagsters have mentioned knowing him personally before they say he went off on the deep end. Hell, given those connections, he could also still be a member of this site.

He announced he's moving yet?