Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

10 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

This is an unpopular (although not rare) opinion, but Warehime has quietly been a solid recruiter for us--both at OL and now at TE.

His position also had a solid year last year on the field.  We'll see how/if the young guys develop under his tutelage this year.

I think Beck gets the most credit for Liebrock and that the LT kid was a layup, Wiley was a good find and get, but he does a decent job on the backroads of east Texas. Is that enough to have him on the sidelines over Samples, Beaty, Fedora, etc? 

13 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

This is an unpopular (although not rare) opinion, but Warehime has quietly been a solid recruiter for us--both at OL and now at TE.

His position also had a solid year last year on the field.  We'll see how/if the young guys develop under his tutelage this year.

Problem is you need more than solid recruiter at his position and decent development from your TE coach. That and RB need to be rainmakers. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fud said:

I think Beck gets the most credit for Liebrock and that the LT kid was a layup, Wiley was a good find and get, but he does a decent job on the backroads of east Texas. Is that enough to have him on the sidelines over Samples, Beaty, Fedora, etc? 

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Problem is you need more than solid recruiter at his position and decent development from your TE coach. That and RB need to be rainmakers. 

The original post was:

3 hours ago, texifornia said:

It'd be great if we didn't have to rely on Warehime or Giles to keep guys warm day-to-day.

And my point was that that's not a good point.  If you want to say that Warehime isn't a rainmaker, I would agree with you.  And that we could replace Warehime with an equally competent coach who was a much better recruiter, I would agree with that, too. 

3 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I think what I would like to see from Warehime is him being a more effective advocate for East Texas kids (beyond the obvious studs like Landon Jackson, Marcus Burris, and Clayton Smith).

I think the banging the table is up to the position coach and maybe the coordinators. The area guys keep a good relationship with the high school coaches and other people who matter so they have a good ear to the ground for talent and a good read on the initial vetting 

4 hours ago, Fud said:

I think Beck gets the most credit for Liebrock and that the LT kid was a layup, Wiley was a good find and get, but he (Warehime) does a decent job on the backroads of east Texas. Is that enough to have him on the sidelines over Samples, Beaty, Fedora, etc? 

giphy.gif

2 minutes ago, cafe society said:

So, what is Jayhawk's endgame with Beaty?  Are they hardcore on the $ issue, or are they merely attempting to delay him joining our staff until 2020?

Currently working as a consultant for the Texas Longhorns per Wikipedia. Surely Wiki isn't in error.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Beaty_(American_football)

Roach note on Milroe: "— I put in an Alabama crystal ball for 2021 four-star quarterback Jalen Milroe.  Milroe recently cut his list to a Top 8, and has been very high on Texas. I was told Alabama may hold the slight edge, and he is a take at this moment for the Crimson Tide. I think Texas is probably running second in this race right now, but with him deciding soon, I decided to put in a Crystal Ball pick."

• Like 1

22 hours ago, cafe society said:

So, what is Jayhawk's endgame with Beaty?  Are they hardcore on the $ issue, or are they merely attempting to delay him joining our staff until 2020?

listening to the BON podcast for last week, the hate for Beaty from the reporter they interviewed and youd have to think a lot more of Jayhawk nation, It would appear this is all just pure spite. IDK what happened up there. but seems to be a lot of bad blood

I don’t understand what position he is. How big is he? Looks like Jamison, but made like 2 tackles in his highlight video and his hips are a little stiff. He’s not particularly polished at any one skill. Just really good at being an athlete. Curious his 40 too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HOF Academy: 2021 offensive tackle Savion Byrd is one to watch

ByBILL GREENE 49 minutes ago

CANTON, Ohio -- Last week's Pro Football Hall of Fame Academy featured several of the top 2020 prospects in the country but there were also a handful of 2021 recruits are also members of the USA team that will compete in the World Bowl later this year in Mexico City.

Offensive tackle Savion Byrd, Duncanville (TX), is currently rated as the No. 13 overall prospect in America for the class of 2021 by the industry-generated 247Sports Composite, and he certainly showed why.

Possessing great length and quick feet, Byrd competed hard and more than held his own going against older players. His athleticism is striking and he has a frame that is going to fill out to 300-pounds by the time he plays college football."This has been an awesome experience being at the Hall of Fame and I feel blessed to be here," Byrd stated. "The best part of this experience is that I got to bond with some of the top players in the country and learn from some great coaches.

"The one thing they talked to us about that really hit home with me is that we should not be afraid to leave our legacy," he added. "It was good to be coached by guys that played in the NFL.""I know I need to put in a lot of work to get to where I need to go," he continued. "I'm tall (6-foot-5) and I can run a good forty time, but I need to work on every part of my game. There is really no part of my game that I could say I'm satisfied with right now."With offers from several top Power Five programs, Byrd has put himself on the recruiting radar and that offer list is only going to keep rising."I have a lot of offers right now and I think I have around 25," Byrd explained. "There are a few schools that have not offered yet that I would like to hear from, like Clemson, Oregon, Miami, and Florida.

As a kid, I always looked up to Miami and that was who I rooted for growing up. I just always liked how serious they played and the brotherhood they had.""Of the ones that have offered, Texas shows a lot of love to me and I have offers from most of the schools in-state," he said.

"Texas football is amazing and they also take things very seriously, which I like a lot. I have been there twice and really like the school a lot."

"Texas A&M has also offered but they're not recruiting me too hard," he noted. "I think once my junior year starts they will really start to talk to me. I did talk to Oklahoma the other day, and they have offered me. I like them and they have a really good program."Even though Byrd still has two years of high school football remaining, he already has an idea of what he is looking for in a college.I am a person that asks a lot of questions and I'm looking for loyalty from a coaching staff," Byrd exclaimed. "Football is not everything to me, so I'm looking for a college that can make me a better person as well as a better football player."

3 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Slow play James Brockermeyer so Tommy doesn’t jump onboard immediately. Allows Savion Byrd to grow closer to UT in the interim. Now looks like we could have two absolutely elite LT prospects in the same class. Mensa. 

Dude we’re getting all 3 regardless

HOF Academy: 2021 offensive tackle Savion Byrd is one to watch

ByBILL GREENE 49 minutes ago Share

CANTON, Ohio -- Last week's Pro Football Hall of Fame Academy featured several of the top 2020 prospects in the country but there were also a handful of 2021 recruits are also members of the USA team that will compete in the World Bowl later this year in Mexico City.

Offensive tackle Savion Byrd, Duncanville (TX), is currently rated as the No. 13 overall prospect in America for the class of 2021 by the industry-generated 247Sports Composite, and he certainly showed why.

Possessing great length and quick feet, Byrd competed hard and more than held his own going against older players. His athleticism is striking and he has a frame that is going to fill out to 300-pounds by the time he plays college football."This has been an awesome experience being at the Hall of Fame and I feel blessed to be here," Byrd stated. "The best part of this experience is that I got to bond with some of the top players in the country and learn from some great coaches.

"The one thing they talked to us about that really hit home with me is that we should not be afraid to leave our legacy," he added. "It was good to be coached by guys that played in the NFL.""I know I need to put in a lot of work to get to where I need to go," he continued. "I'm tall (6-foot-5) and I can run a good forty time, but I need to work on every part of my game. There is really no part of my game that I could say I'm satisfied with right now."With offers from several top Power Five programs, Byrd has put himself on the recruiting radar and that offer list is only going to keep rising."I have a lot of offers right now and I think I have around 25," Byrd explained. "There are a few schools that have not offered yet that I would like to hear from, like Clemson, Oregon, Miami, and Florida.

As a kid, I always looked up to Miami and that was who I rooted for growing up. I just always liked how serious they played and the brotherhood they had.""Of the ones that have offered, Texas shows a lot of love to me and I have offers from most of the schools in-state," he said.

"Texas football is amazing and they also take things very seriously, which I like a lot. I have been there twice and really like the school a lot."

"Texas A&M has also offered but they're not recruiting me too hard," he noted. "I think once my junior year starts they will really start to talk to me. I did talk to Oklahoma the other day, and they have offered me. I like them and they have a really good program."Even though Byrd still has two years of high school football remaining, he already has an idea of what he is looking for in a college.I am a person that asks a lot of questions and I'm looking for loyalty from a coaching staff," Byrd exclaimed. "Football is not everything to me, so I'm looking for a college that can make me a better person as well as a better football player."

I guess it helps that Miami’s head coach was fired from Texas. Establishes a pretty clear pecking order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

I was kidding, but that’s great to know. OLine is going to be a strength with Hand in charge. 

I’m just guessing. But assuming we don’t fuck up the brockermeyers, and I think we’ll hold on there, samples will deliver Duncanville. Its legit boner worthy gif if it happens. 

6 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I’m just guessing. But assuming we don’t fuck up the brockermeyers, and I think we’ll hold on there, samples will deliver Duncanville. Its legit boner worthy gif if it happens. 

But not Blackshire?  He’s all Sec right?

8 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

But not Blackshire?  He’s all Sec right?

I dont have any insight there. It definitely feels like a battle. But if we win and the duncanville pipeline, and the necessity of the position I’ve gotta think we have a good shot. We won’t concede him.  

Edited by SydneyCarton

On 7/12/2019 at 3:34 PM, cafe society said:

They want to drag Beaty thru the mud...

But Kansas should settle... doubt KU wants their cupboards opened in court.  Might find some skeletons in their closets if they aren't careful.

https://www.kansascity.com/opinion/editorials/article230667214.html 

"KU fumbled David Beaty’s dismissal. It’s time to pay fired coach’s $3 million buyout"

BY THE KANSAS CITY STAR EDITORIAL BOARD MAY 23, 2019 

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1