Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

1 hour ago, Thiefery said:

I wonder if his dad has ties to the state of Texas.  Many people from the 757 area aren't native to VA due to being stationed there and just never left.

Might not be his dad actually.

But the connection is that Grimes and Latrell Neville are cousins.

Edit: I was right the first time, he's the father.

Edited by Machinator
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Thiefery said:

I wonder if his dad has ties to the state of Texas.  Many people from the 757 area aren't native to VA due to being stationed there and just never left.

We'll have to get Drew Livingston on the case for the good guys. 

https://virginiasports.com/news/2018/7/3/swimming-diving-drew-livingston-named-head-diving-coach.aspx

IT

By: Justin and Eric
- Duncanville’s Ja’Quinden Jackson returned to his new haus at Moncrief, this time as a member of #cloUT2020. It’s no secret the DFW-to-ATX movement is working to build momentum and if they can get that train over the hill Texas is going to dominate in DFW for players it would have struggled with in the past. In the meantime, JQJ brought his left tackle with him, Savion Byrd. The 6-foot-5, 270-pound junior is already on many radars, and we expect a national surge in his profile in the coming months. It’s safe to say Byrd left Austin wondering what he might look like in burnt orange. Starting to really like him, but I’ve been beating that drum since January. He’s special.

By: @josephcook 

2021 Dallas Skyline WR Quay Davis

The first member of Texas’ 2021 class returned for the first time as a commit, and had only positive things to say.

“I had a great time,” Davis said. “It was live.”

Davis said that the atmosphere at the Heat Wave helped him already feel more comfortable in his pledge. He’s already started to recruit players both in his class and in the class of 2020, but just being back on campus was a positive.

“I’m ready,” Davis said. “I’m ready to be here.”

Texas received the “dream school” label from Davis, and playing for the in-state school was something that made the decision easier for the Dallas Skyline product. “We need to stay home regardless,” Davis said.

He also spoke about the impact of Ja’Quinden Jackson committing to Texas. He mentioned he grew up playing with Jackson, and several other of Texas’ targets did as well.

“You need him,” Davis said of Jackson. “That’s a bad man right there.”

Davis said he feels he fits into multiple roles in the Texas offense, and likened his game to Dez Bryant’s.

2021 Jalen Milroe

The Katy Tompkins QB returned to campus for the first time since receiving a UT offer, and enjoyed every facet of the visit. In addition to meeting with the coaches, Milroe spoke highly of Tom Herman’s overall philosophy at Texas and on offense, as well as the relationships the coaches have with their players.

Put shortly, “I like talking to Coach Herman and Coach Beck.”

Milroe is familiar with the program as he told Inside Texas he’s been coming to campus since he was entering his eighth grade year. The fact that he’s on this side of the recruiting process is something he is thankful for.

“Having an offer and now that the 2021 class is on right now, it’s cool building a relationship with the coaching staff and I’m liking the coaching staff at Texas,” Milroe said. “Now I’m more comfortable because I’ve been going back and forth for a game and for visits.”

When asked about his fit in the offense, Milroe’s explanation revealed he had done his research. He mentioned he watched Herman not only at Texas but at Houston as well. He feels like even now he has a solid grasp on the Herman offense.

He also mentioned he felt additional coaching from Beck and Herman would be great for him.

“The offense that he’s been running, I run it in high school," Milroe said. "I feel like I would feel comfortable running the offense I’ve been running in high school."

Milroe plans to take one more trip this summer to Oregon to check out the Ducks. He knows he’ll be building relationships with coaches during the dead period over the phone.

That process may not drag out very long. Milroe wants to enroll early, and realizes that will likely move up all aspects of his timeline.

“I’m thinking about making my commitment earlier because I’m graduating early,” Milroe said. “I’m only going to take four months of my senior year, then I’m on to college. I’m making a commitment either before the season starts or in the middle of the season.”

Milroe has a list of top schools he has yet to release, but did mention Texas was one of those top schools.

Shemar Turner

While on his visit to Texas, and after looking around the Longhorns’ trophy room, 2021 Desoto DL Shemar Turner spoke with academic advisors before making his way to Tom Herman’s office.

“Then, we went and talked to Coach Herman and he offered me,” Turner said.

“He said ‘I’m very excited to offer you, and we’re going to offer you a scholarship to the University of Texas,’” Turner added.

Why does Texas have interest in Turner?

“I’m explosive,” Turner said. “I’m quick for my size.

Turner said meeting players and other recruits outside of a football environment was an enjoyable experience. He mentioned how comfortable he was on campus as well.

“It feels like I’m at home,” Turner added. “I’m very comfortable here.”

He plans to be back in Austin after the dead period, and wants to make a decision “probably sometime at the end of my junior year.”

The 6-foot-3, 260 pounder profiles to growing into an athletic defensive tackle.

Savion Byrd

The five-star 2021 OL from Duncanville didn’t have too much to say after his visit, but did note “it was real fun getting a little experience of what’s going to happen in the future.” He described Herb Hand as “welcoming,” and took note of the #DallasToAustin movement his teammate Ja’Quinden Jackson is helping lead: “It’s gaining momentum. It’s getting in the head of a lot of players. It’s building.”

• Like 1

Roach: Stampede (2021 relevant)

Spoiler

— Five-star Virginia Beach (Va.) Princess Anne cornerback Tony Grimes and his father made the visit to Texas after seeing Texas A&M and Oklahoma earlier in the week. The Longhorns are going to have to topple some giants in this recruitment, but I feel like they have a good shot if they really go all in.Texas A&M has an early advantage because the Aggies have been building this relationship for a while. Texas is making up ground quickly though, and if the Longhorns keep trending in this direction, they will likely receive an official visit next year.

— 2021 Texas commit Quaydarius Davis talked about the Dallas to Austin movement, and he credited Ja'Quinden Jackson with leading it. Davis himself said he was working on recruiting for his class, and he also said his love for Texas was what made him shut things down early. There’s something real here early on, and the Longhorns can totally turn the tables in an area of the state where they’ve struggled in the last few cycles.

— Speaking of Dallas guys, Savion Byrd received a lot of attention over the weekend. I’ve reported in the past that I think Texas is in prime position for Byrd following Jackson’s commitment, and Byrd spent quite a bit of time on campus Saturday. Byrd is very quiet, and it doesn’t appear he has a timeline set in stone yet. This has the feel of a kid who could pop at any time.

— DeSoto defensive end Shemar Turner was offered when he visited. He talked about wanting to stay in state, and he said that the Dallas-area prospects are talking about making that happen. I think Texas put itself in a good position early, but it’s likely he’ll take a bunch of visits and see the rest of the in-state programs.

— 2021 Richmond Foster OL Reuben Fatheree said he had the opportunity to see more of campus on his visit. I get the feeling that he’s in no rush to make a decision, and I think that Herb Hand is starting to make a difference with the Houston-area prospect. Fatheree comes from a family of coaches and athletes, and they will take their time to find the right place. He would like a chance to play basketball, but he said it isn’t a deal-breaker.

— Everman ATH Juan Davis isn’t a name familiar to most recruiting fans, but it probably should be.The 2021 WR/TE was offered by the Longhorns a month or so ago, and he said that Texas is really the only school pushing for him. Davis is a big-bodied receiver who is built like a thicker version of Lil'Jordan Humphrey. When we talk about great early evaluations, this could certainly be one.

— Four-star Katy Tompkins quarterback Jalen Milroe returned after earning an offer a few weeks ago.He enjoyed coming back to build more of a relationship with the coaches and players. Milroe and his family spent some time with Tom Herman early in the day, and he’s very interested in Texas. He’s been looking into the offenses Herman ran over the last few years and said there are similarities between it and the one he runs in high school. Milroe said that Texas was a childhood favorite for him.Texas has been in a great spot with Preston Stone, but Milroe is looking to make some moves quickly. This one could be very interesting in the next month or two as the Longhorns figure out their 2021 quarterback situation.

— Kennedale safety JD Coffey also returned shortly after he received an offer from Texas. The four-star prospect has a great relationship with Craig Naivar, and Texas is extremely high on his list. Coffey said he loved the laid-back environment at Texas during the Heat Wave, and he’s looking to make his decision following his junior season.Coffey’s mother loved the parent panel, and she spent some time with Caden Sterns’ mother. As of now, I would put Texas out in front.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

took note of the #DallasToAustin movement his teammate Ja’Quinden Jackson is helping lead: “It’s gaining momentum. It’s getting in the head of a lot of players. It’s building.”

That is exactly what you want to hear from guys.  Sounds like Dallas could be a huge boon for the 2021 class. 

10 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I want my OL and DL as old as possible. We’re not in dynasty mode on Madden. Give me some crotchety motherfuckers going up against the greenhands any day of the week. 

When Moro Ojomo wins the Bednarik award as a 16 year old, you're really gonna have to eat some crow on this one. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I want my OL and DL as old as possible. We’re not in dynasty mode on Madden. Give me some crotchety motherfuckers going up against the greenhands any day of the week. 

Oh I don't disagree. I'm just not interested in rehashing the inverse of the Ojomo/what's the avg age of a graduating HS senior debate. 

I suppose if I were going to concern troll, I might say this adds some skepticism to James' ability to get up to D1 OL weight. But I'm not going to do that.

16 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

Oh I don't disagree. I'm just not interested in rehashing the inverse of the Ojomo/what's the avg age of a graduating HS senior debate. 

I suppose if I were going to As a concern troll, I might say this adds some skepticism to James' ability to get up to D1 OL weight. But I'm not going to do that.

You've got some expert level trolling in you, but that's what I'd expect from a stinking WOP genius. 

• Like 1

Oof.

Not just catching the DE but the way he gets out over his feet and then gets all that weight on the outside hip. Hand technique/punch can be fixed, balance is innate (imo). it can be improved upon, but there's only so much that you can improve there.  Would like to see some more reps to see if he's consistently extended out over his feet.  

27 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Oof.

Not just catching the DE but the way he gets out over his feet and then gets all that weight on the outside hip. Hand technique/punch can be fixed, balance is innate (imo). it can be improved upon, but there's only so much that you can improve there.  Would like to see some more reps to see if he's consistently extended out over his feet.  

Like I said earlier, I don’t see Jackson being one of the elite Texas OL this year. He seems to be a clear step below that from what I’ve seen. 

Just now, Burt Macklin said:

Like I said earlier, I don’t see Jackson being one of the elite Texas OL this year. He seems to be a clear step below that from what I’ve seen. 

You're going to need to apologize to his mother if you don't think he's for real.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Mortgages aren’t even that long. Did a psychic tell him he’d only live to 57 or something? What the fuck?

In Texas, you must serve 40 years on a capital murder charge before you can be paroled 

...I heard 

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Mortgages aren’t even that long. Did a psychic tell him he’d only live to 57 or something? What the fuck?

That's a Saban Special. I think it's on his office door or some shit, but he basically talks about thinking of college as a 40 year decision not just 4 years. It's kinda funny from a guy at Alabama of all schools, but you know how it is - anything that fucker says is gospel. 

7 hours ago, golfclap said:

That's a Saban Special. I think it's on his office door or some shit, but he basically talks about thinking of college as a 40 year decision not just 4 years. It's kinda funny from a guy at Alabama of all schools, but you know how it is - anything that fucker says is gospel. 

It's not unique to Saban.  We've used the same pitch to recruits as well (i.e. Forever Texas program)

36 minutes ago, Stampeder said:

It's not unique to Saban.  We've used the same pitch to recruits as well (i.e. Forever Texas program)

The concept isn’t but the specific phrase is. The point is that all reports have Bama out in front for Tunmise and him tweeting that out is just another data point indicating the same.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stampeder said:

The Forever Texas program is MILES and MILES above what almost every other team is doing, including Bama. I was simply pointing out (as Mr. Janet Snakehole pointed out) that the phrase is specific to Bama and that it's clear where Tunmise wants to be. 

• Haha 1

What do you guys think of Shemar Turner?  It's looking like he may be in this class and he looks like a grown man already.  I know he's got 2 more years left, but just wanted thoughts from anyone who has seen him live or film.  IIRC, wasn't he the DL MVP at the Dallas Opening?

IT

By: Joe Cook and Eric Nahlin

We know the board is uniquely focused on the 2020 class. Now you have something to read to take your mind off of it while we go back to trying to cultivate news for the Humidor.

Joe is up first.

REUBEN FATHEREE

In between playing summer basketball and taking basketball or other football visits, the 2021 offensive lineman from Richmond Foster made the trip to Texas for the Heat Wave.

“It was pretty nice,” Fatheree said. “I actually got to speak to Coach Tom Herman about some things. I got to explore the whole Forty Acres and everything. The pool party was actually pretty fun. We got to play some basketball.”

Basketball has recently been at the forefront for Fatheree. He hopes to play in the EYBL Peach Jam in mid-July, and has seen both the football and basketball side of several schools.

On Saturday, the 6-foot-8, 299 pound Fatheree told IT he hasn’t had much contact with Shaka Smart and the Longhorns basketball program. He mentioned he’d like to play basketball in college, but explicitly said a school doesn’t have to offer him the opportunity to play basketball and that it wouldn’t be a deal-breaker for him.

“I would like for the possibility, but if it’s not going to happen it’s fine,” he explained.

Though he hasn’t started speaking with Texas basketball coaches, he has a relationship with Texas offensive line coach Herb Hand and enjoys interacting with him.

“It’s amazing,” Fatheree said. “He treats his players like a father-like figure. He’s an amazing person. He can get things done, and he will coach you up to be the best player you can be.”

The next step for Fatheree is to play basketball at the Peach Jam, followed by releasing his top schools list. Fatheree told IT Saturday he anticipated Texas making that list.

BRIEF COFFEY and DAVIS NOTES

2021 Kennedale defensive back JD Coffey also made the trek down to Austin. He told IT he enjoyed the unique opportunity to bond with Texas players and coaches outside of the football field. He explained he has a “great relationship with Coach Naivar” and that he planned “to stay in touch with him for sure.” He wants to decide after his upcoming junior season. Texas is in a good early position for Coffey.

2021 Everman tight end Juan Davis received the Lil’Jordan Humphrey comparison from the Texas coaches. He didn’t have a lot to say, but gave positive marks to the job the Texas coaches have done recruiting him. When asked what school is recruiting him the hardest, Davis replied “the school recruiting me the hardest is Texas. Only Texas.”

TONY GRIMES

One of the best 2021 corners in the country used the summer to visit schools all over the country, including Texas, Texas A&M, and Oklahoma.

After his trip to Austin, Virginia Beach (VA) Princess Anne CB Tony Grimes gave Texas glowing remarks.

“Amazing, it was amazing being down here,” Grimes said. “I came down here and off the interstate, the first thing I saw was Texas. It was beautiful.”

Grimes traveled with his father first to Norman to see Oklahoma. They then drove south to see Austin before heading to College Station.

The uniqueness of Texas pursuing a player from Virginia wasn't lose on Grimes.

“They don’t really recruit in (my) area,” Grimes said. “A lot of people from Texas play at Texas, some from Georgia, some from the West Coast. They’re treating me right so far.”

Interactions with the players stood out to Grimes, but he noted there’s a coaching connection he’s steadily building.

“Coach Washington is the man,” Grimes said. “Me and him have a good connection.”

Schools from around the country are recruiting what could be the top corner for the class of 2021, but Texas will have a chance to see Grimes in-person again. He plans to make a return trip this fall for a game.

By: Eric Nahlin

MORE ON GRIMES

Joe gave you the particulars from Grimes, but I wanted to offer his father Deon's impressions as well. Grimes is going to be coveted by every school in the nation. That sort of demand will make him a difficult pull for every school but he's one you get in line for to take your shot during the speed-dating portion of early recruiting.

Here's Grimes working against kids a year older.

That Twitter handle belongs to Grimes' father. Here's what he had to say about the swing through Texas.

Whats good my dude? A&M Is always an awesome visit. We expect nothing less from them.... 1st class all the way. Texas!!! :oops:Was incredible!! Real talk!! More than the history and prestige of the university; the coaching staff, in particular Coach Jason Washington and Coach Herman were amazing!! We are people people... just like they are interviewing us, we are interviewing them. This is a business; but you can feel and see the genuine love they have for their players. The players will tell you what you need to know without even asking them a question. Great staff!! We get more love from the residents that live in Texas than our own state. Even the players in Texas show Tony mad love.

Sounds like the first rounds of interviews went well. They've been to A&M a few times and every time they return to College Station the staff needs to be angling for a visit as well. That's in addition to trying to get Grimes to campus as often as possible.

Pulling out-of-state five-star corners will be rough sledding but the staff is taking its shot with a legitimate "Texas-type" kid.

LATRELL NEVILLE

If you don't recall, Neville and Grimes are cousins and have discussed playing together. I'm not sure that will happen but Texas is chasing both. Here's a little background from late April.

Neville wasn't able to make it to the Heat Wave last Saturday but did come in the day before. He was heading home to New Orleans for his grandmother's birthday bash. I don't know if it was a bash, but with it being Louisiana I have my suspicions.

A likable, outgoing kid, Neville has been taking the process seriously from the beginning. He's been a well-known prospect for over a year now but he'll need a big junior year to earn his reputation. I'm guessing he'll have that.

Here are the takeaways from our recent conversation:

Texas: He mentioned Herman thanked him for making it to Texas before traveling to NOLA. Herman underlined how big of a priority he is for the class. Neville spoke most glowingly about S&C. "Out of all the schools I've been to, I think Yancy McKnight is the best." That's high praise, because these are the schools he's been to.

Top suitors: Other schools he mentioned as visiting were Alabama, LSU, Georgia, and A&M.

Cutting his list: Neville will trim his list to six on July 4th. Texas will make the cut.

Davis: I asked what he thought of the potential of playing opposite Quaydarius Davis. He got a little animated and said, "ooh, we'd be double trouble. Who do you stop?"

2021 QUARTERBACK

Katy Tompkins dual-threat quarterback Jalen Milroe made a quick turnaround to Austin after a private visit recently. After that initial visit he received an offer. Last Saturday he met with Tom Herman. Private intel tells us it went well. UT seems to be in the top-three along with Alabama and A&M. One thing I've heard is, that while he knows he's a great fit for the offense, he wonders if he'll be developed as a passer rather than treated as a dual. Those are easy concerns to alleviate and will only be made easier by Ehlinger's progress since arriving.

I've been doing my homework on both Milroe and Preston Stone from Parish Episcopal School. That homework has led me to favor Stone by a decent margin. While Milroe is a better physical fit for what we've seen thus far of the offensive direction, Stone is indeed in the 205 pound range after a spring of hard work in the weight room. He's actually benching 265 pounds, which offers some reassurances towards durability. As a runner he's not as fast as Milroe, but he can make people miss and has decent quickness. The Manziel comparisons are off to me because Manziel had absurd quickness that led to escapability that would translate everywhere except law enforcement. I think Stone's quickness translates to buying time in the pocket and taking free yards in the quarterback run game.

I know that Milroe is competitve with leadership and I now believe the same of Stone. I would have liked to see Stone end up at a 6A school but for people named Preston private schools are public. I don't fault him for not wanting to ride the bench behind nepotism at Highland Park. Should have gone to Prestonwood who plays 6A ball, imo.

Stone gets the nod because he's an uncommon passer. Both have good arm strength but Stone makes all the throws with ease. He's accurate on the run. He can drive the ball; he can throw it with pocket speed and from different arm slots. He has good pocket presence, an innate feel for pressure, and keeps his eyes downfield. On the other hand, Milroe is trying to nail down repeating one arm slot, and isn't as accurate on the move.

I do have some concerns about how long Stone would stick around if he didn't win the job, but roster turnover sets up well for him to come in for at least a year and give it a go.

I think both will recruit well but I think Stone has a bit of brashness to him, similar to Ehlinger, that players -- specifically offensive skill -- will gravitate towards.

That's my take on 2021 quarterbacks. Lock up Stone, push for Savion Byrd, and try to create momentum in the 2021 class and see if it reassures any 2020 players on the fence.