Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

4 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Sounds like Alexis is close to announcing something. He's gone quiet on the 9.95ers. Such says the class is confident he'll join them. We'll see. 

He's not a big Twitter follower. He followed Pearson a while ago and no one very interesting since.

Edited by texifornia

6 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Intriguing - Carrington and Yurcich started following Alton McCaskill

Fuck yes. I really like him and powerful one cut 200 pound guys running 10.9 100s don’t grow on trees. 

7 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Drayton

veronica mars middle finger GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Intriguing - Carrington and Yurcich started following Alton McCaskill: https://247sports.com/Player/Alton-McCaskill-46084459/

Not Drayton though because NCIS marathons don't watch themselves

Perhaps a sign we've figured out we're behind with Wheaton. I'm not suggesting we are, but this is a data point. 

(Mike Roach) Lunchtime Nuggets: Tons of tidbits on Texas targets

—I spoke briefly with Jacksonville (Fla.) Bishop Kenny offensive lineman Michael Myslinski yesterday. He indicated that a decision will come soon and could be in the next two weeks. Myslinski told me that Texas was set to meet with him today via a zoom call. Iowa, Maryland and Florida State are the other schools factoring in here, but there is some confidence on the Texas side. Myslinski is close with Herb Hand and their families are old friends. We will see how Texas pans out down the stretch.

—If you’re looking for an offer for Garland Lakeview Centennial OL Ezra Dotson-Oyetade, this could be one that directly affects it. Over the last few cycles, Texas took a bunch of interior bodies and they are looking for tackle bodies. I think this is the reason the Longhorns aren’t really pushing for a ton of interior guys at this point. Dotson-Oyetade’s future could rest on Myslinski’s decision.

—If you’re looking for a sleeper in the class Texas might look for at tackle, look no further than Dallas Jesuit’s Ryan Langyel. Texas staffer Jake Langi reached out recently, according to Langyel, and he’s also had contact with Herb Hand. Langyel told me that while everything is still new with Texas, he feels they are moving quickly with him.

—I exchanged a few text messages with Englewood (CO) Cherry Creek tight end Gunnar Helm this morning. He and his father made the trip to Austin for an independent visit to see the city. While a visit like that is a good indicator of interest, it’s tough for these recruits to get a great look. They can only drive through campus and can’t see inside any buildings. I’m not sure how much of an advantage it provides with such a limited look. I’m working to get something from Helm later tonight after a day of exploring.

—Speaking of self-visits, there is one I’m heard is being set up with a Texas target that actually could make an impact in the recruitment. I can’t go into the name right now, but it’s a target at a position of need that has never been to Austin. I’m supposed to get confirmation sometime this week and can report it once I’m given the go-ahead.

—I spoke with a key source familiar with five-star Lakeview Centennial running back Camar Wheaton yesterday. This source reiterated that nobody around Wheaton has a real handle on who leads, but the picture is starting to become clearer. Texas and Oklahoma are really emerging as the front runners for the elite speed back. While Oklahoma’s system and offense are very appealing to Wheaton, his relationship with Stan Drayton and respect for his development resume has Texas right in the thick of things. In fact, that’s where Texas has the advantage. While Oklahoma running back coach DeMarco Murray had a great collegiate and NFL career, he doesn’t have a proven track record as a coach. There is a lot of pushing and pulling in this recruitment, and it will be one of the more fascinating races to watch down the stretch.

—Earlier today I visited Argyle Liberty Christian and saw 2022 four-star athlete Cristian Driver in person. The son of former NFL wide receiver Donald Driver, Cristian holds offers from all over the country. Texas is doing an excellent job with Driver spearheaded by efforts from Chris Ash and Jay Valai. He mentioned Penn State, Notre Dame and Oklahoma as other schools standing out at this point but he’s not anywhere close to making a decision. A talented safety, Driver can also play receiver and is interested in getting a look on offense at the next level.

• Like 1

Soooooo, any guesses??

—Speaking of self-visits, there is one I’m heard is being set up with a Texas target that actually could make an impact in the recruitment. I can’t go into the name right now, but it’s a target at a position of need that has never been to Austin. I’m supposed to get confirmation sometime this week and can report it once I’m given the go-ahead.

Just now, Elmer_Fudd said:

How much of a meltdown are we going to have if Msylinski commits which in turn means no Ezra offer?

Who's "we"? I bet IT will be pissy.

It's a funny one, he's a guy Hand really likes, he's got commitable offers from really good OL schools, but man he just doesn't look very athletic. Still, I'll be happy we got an OL we clearly prioritized.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

How much of a meltdown are we going to have if Msylinski commits which in turn means no Ezra offer?

not much different from the past few days..  I think ou gets Wheaton, Farrell seems very confident on his UT doom and gloom piece.

6 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Soooooo, any guesses??

—Speaking of self-visits, there is one I’m heard is being set up with a Texas target that actually could make an impact in the recruitment. I can’t go into the name right now, but it’s a target at a position of need that has never been to Austin. I’m supposed to get confirmation sometime this week and can report it once I’m given the go-ahead.

Dekel Crowdus. He's committed elsewhere and a position of need who has not been to campus. The OL misses have all been to campus. 

8 minutes ago, satyanash said:

—If you’re looking for a sleeper in the class Texas might look for at tackle, look no further than Dallas Jesuit’s Ryan Langyel. Texas staffer Jake Langi reached out recently, according to Langyel, and he’s also had contact with Herb Hand. Langyel told me that while everything is still new with Texas, he feels they are moving quickly with him.

The note on looking for tackle bodies is interesting. Langyel has one, especially if he can eek out another inch or 2. 

3 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

not much different from the past few days..  I think ou gets Wheaton, Farrell seems very confident on his UT doom and gloom piece.

Sure seems like if Wheaton was an OU lean Drumm, Farrell, McQuiston, and other $9.95ers would have in OU picks by now.

2 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Sure seems like if Wheaton was an OU lean Drumm, Farrell, McQuiston, and other $9.95ers would have in OU picks by now.

"Instead, Oklahoma has won five straight Big 12 titles and is the king of that conference, doing so by taking elite-level talent like Wheaton (soon)"

Edit.. NVM this isn't farrell

Fucking Nahlin, every time there's a post from him I start grinding my fucking teeth. That fucker is whining about Blake Smith? Fuck, I mean if he was gonna wind about a late-marginal TE take why not at least pick Yelverton? Drake Dabney at Baylor is also a better example of a TE worth at least a pause. Blake Smith? A maxed out 245 pound kid from Southlake with frosted tips? GTFO. 

goddamn. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Who's "we"? I bet IT will be pissy.

It's a funny one, he's a guy Hand really likes, he's got commitable offers from really good OL schools, but man he just doesn't look very athletic. Still, I'll be happy we got an OL we clearly prioritized.

Myslinki looks pretty athletic to me. Will he still be athletic after he puts on some weight? How would he do against better competition? No idea on those, but Hand/Yancy/Herman know OL evaluating better than I do, so we'll see he he pans out 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Fucking Nahlin, every time there's a post from him I start grinding my fucking teeth. That fucker is whining about Blake Smith? Fuck, I mean if he was gonna wind about a late-marginal TE take why not at least pick Yelverton? Drake Dabney at Baylor is also a better example of a TE worth at least a pause. Blake Smith? A maxed out 245 pound kid from Southlake with frosted tips? GTFO. 

goddamn. 

I don't think Eric particularly likes Helm or Smith

13 hours ago, Mdhorn said:

The sport's web jockeys are continuing to ride the hell out of Blake's sons choosing Bama.  I expect them to drop a fresh batch of rehashed woe is Herman and Texas articles in the morning and every day until some new recruit chooses Texas, thus beginning the yeah, but they're not the Brocks.  If anything, they're building some hype on these kids that if they don't start or do well, they will have a jolly big, burnt orange F'k you to their family and all these recruit writers.   And they'll get it for the remainder of the days they live in Texas.  

"My role as a father is to provide them with knowledge and education on how to make that decision, the best decision that they can make."

Sure would be great if Herman cut Luke and said, "My role as a head coach is to provide the team with knowledge, education and preparation on how to win, along with the best decisions that I can make. And we just had better opportunities at the position."  And it would be true.  

Spiteful?  Who gives a f'k--Bama can take Luke since the Brocks are all in on Saban and what they offer.  I'm sure Texas can find another 2 star linebacker.  Hell, get a transfer.  The complete Bama package doesn't include an education you big half wit.  If they did nothing but go to school, at Texas they'd have the alumni base and education to be successful. And I sure hope the mental midgets asked Saban about the part of their package that includes what happens to their scholarships should one if not both of their sons sustain an injury that prevents them from competing in football.  Oh yeah, like an injury that Tommy just rehabbed from.  

If Herman does manage to beat Bama, I hope during his press conference he repeatedly mentions being just fortunate enough to get players who along with their families bleed burnt orange.  The bonus would be the press conference in front of a huge picture of Texas players in victory formation with scoreboard in the background, and then Herman giving a "Hook'em" to the all the recruitniks along with the recruits that chose to leave the state because they doubted Texas.    

"The complete Bama package doesn't include an education you big half wit".  Well, duh...why do you think they went to the private Christian school?  

Roach is doing a Q&A

File this under obviously: The question was "if we have a good season, who is most likely to flip" and Roach says the staff is working hard to flip Earle. Also, he said Texas is in a good spot with Evan Stewart, '22 WR who is, imo, better than Burton

https://247sports.com/Player/Evan-Stewart-46096676/

IT is still on an island with the Mukuba to Clemson smoke. Roach says "If we are monitoring my confidence like a stock i'd say the stock is slightly up right now."

Could be a linebacker mystery visitor. That would be Jalon Williams imo

Edited by Ricky's one-hitter
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Roach is doing a Q&A

File this under obviously: The question was "if we have a good season, who is most likely to flip" and Roach says the staff is working hard to flip Earle. Also, he said Texas is in a good spot with Evan Stewart, '22 WR who is, imo, better than Burton

https://247sports.com/Player/Evan-Stewart-46096676/

IT is still on an island with the Mukuba to Clemson smoke. Roach says "If we are monitoring my confidence like a stock i'd say the stock is slightly up right now."

That's a ok dig at Nahlin's stupid stock market analogy articles, which adjusting for Roach's milquetoastness is a FUCKING BURN YO.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

I'm hoping that Dabo wouldn't let him commit without visiting, although with the way this cycle is going, Dabo might relax some of his commitment policies 

8 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Also, he said Texas is in a good spot with Evan Stewart, '22 WR who is, imo, better than Burton

Agree on Stewart, he's really good and I am at a bit of a loss for Burton's current ranking. It seems WAAYYYYY high. I really like Randy Masters as well. I'd love to have Cooks, Masters, and Drones all from that Shadow Creek team, even if it's unrealistic. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Fud said:

I don't think Eric particularly likes Helm or Smith

Nahlin definitely doesn't like Helm. He described him as having 'marginal athleticism' in an earlier post, whatever that's supposed to mean.

Edited by satyanash

1 hour ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Dekel Crowdus. He's committed elsewhere and a position of need who has not been to campus. The OL misses have all been to campus. 

The note on looking for tackle bodies is interesting. Langyel has one, especially if he can eek out another inch or 2. 

Has JoJo Earle been to Texas?

6 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I wish I had the marginal athleticism where I could do a backflip at 6'5" 225lbs.

But, like, was it really a backflip?

(I know it was.  But he also looked extremely stiff in doing it.  It was not the natural athletic elegance that you see from a bunch of these back flipping guys.  And I acknowledge that most of those guys aren't 6'5" 220+.)

4 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Nahlin definitely doesn't like Helm. He described him as having 'marginal athleticism' in an earlier post, whatever that's supposed to mean.

Helm is a  6'5" kid that (that has commitable offer/interest from Iowa (aka TEU)) and clearly hasn't had any real S&C training (much less agility and speed training) -- based solely on actually looking at the kid...  but he can do a backflip with his "marginal athleticism"? I'm going to to take a wild stab from watching his HUDL and this backflip clip etc .. that Gunnar Helm is a lot like Wiley in that he's really late to his height and size. Without knowing at all, I bet Helm wasn't over 6' as a FR or maybe even as a SO. Wild speculation, but I bet I'm right. Look at this dude's frame. He's gonna accidentally add 35-40 pounds and likely get faster in the process. fucking Nahlin. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fud said:

Myslinki looks pretty athletic to me. Will he still be athletic after he puts on some weight? How would he do against better competition? No idea on those, but Hand/Yancy/Herman know OL evaluating better than I do, so we'll see he he pans out 

Dallas Jesuit is in 6A District 9 with Allen, Prosper, McKinney, Boyd and all three Plano schools. They're not the typical private school so competition isn't too bad. Unless you mean"better competition" going from high school to college. 

Just now, irishtexan said:

Dallas Jesuit is in 6A District 9 with Allen, Prosper, McKinney, Boyd and all three Plano schools. They're not the typical private school so competition isn't too bad. Unless you mean"better competition" going from high school to college. 

He's talking about Myslinski, not Lengyel

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

Intriguing - Carrington and Yurcich started following Alton McCaskill: https://247sports.com/Player/Alton-McCaskill-46084459/

Not Drayton though because NCIS marathons don't watch themselves

Have you heard the story of the two Bulls on the top of the hill looking out at a field of cows?

20 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Helm is a  6'5" kid that (that has commitable offer/interest from Iowa (aka TEU)) and clearly hasn't had any real S&C training (much less agility and speed training) -- based solely on actually looking at the kid...  but he can do a backflip with his "marginal athleticism"? I'm going to to take a wild stab from watching his HUDL and this backflip clip etc .. that Gunnar Helm is a lot like Wiley in that he's really late to his height and size. Without knowing at all, I bet Helm wasn't over 6' as a FR or maybe even as a SO. Wild speculation, but I bet I'm right. Look at this dude's frame. He's gonna accidentally add 35-40 pounds and likely get faster in the process. fucking Nahlin. 

Maybe you're right that he hasn't had much speed specific training, but it's worth noting that he's a Cherry Creek kid, the equivalent of the Woodlands in Denver, and likely has a lot of high dollar training available if he wants it

I don't have a dog in the fight, I haven't seen anything of him other than a backflip video 

4 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

Was hoping for Alexis.  But would take either or both.

I don't think it would be so under wraps for a non-committed prospect. "Don't tell Miami I'm visiting another school I'm interested in" would feel odd. 

Crowdus is committed to Kentucky. Now, what would be ideal, is if he brought his buddy Jager down with him. 2 birds one stone. Smarter, not harder. It could also be recent Georgia commit, Adonai Mitchell considering he's moving back to Texas. 

• Like 1