Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

34 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

But, like, was it really a backflip?

(I know it was.  But he also looked extremely stiff in doing it.  It was not the natural athletic elegance that you see from a bunch of these back flipping guys.  And I acknowledge that most of those guys aren't 6'5" 220+.)

And the backflip appeared to be in his backyard. I will withhold judgement until I see him do it in a game.

• Like 2

—If you’re looking for a sleeper in the class Texas might look for at tackle, look no further than Dallas Jesuit’s Ryan Langyel. Texas staffer Jake Langi reached out recently, according to Langyel, and he’s also had contact with Herb Hand. Langyel told me that while everything is still new with Texas, he feels they are moving quickly with him.

The premier metroplex private school OT prospect for the 2021 class, imo

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, Fud said:

That's part of it. He wasn't as long as he was thought to have been, which supports him now playing guard in the NFL. He also had some bad tape from the few games he played; see him getting his ass kicked by the Maryland DE. He did come back and kick ass against West Virginia though. 

If i had a nickel every time i heard that. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

@golfclap Did I miss your take on his tape? Very little pass pro. He's nasty, though. Feet look okay to me, but he's doing a lot of catching against pretty small DEs and LBs. 

I hadn't watched it before. I watched Leyrer's not long ago. On Langyel -- it's almost impossible for me to even tell with this level of competition - it's so bad. It's like watching some of those NE aggy targets. I will say that if he's really 275 here he's got a frame that will easily carry a lean 310. Outside of that, it's nearly impossible to get a feel for him. Would've been huge to see him in a camp. He doesn't lumber - he moves like an athlete but otherwise, I just don't know. 

I'll say it again, looking at Leyrer and Langyel - and even the other interior OL guys we've looked at, I keep going back to DeKedrick Sterns - who looks exactly like a Herman/Yancey kind of take. He's far more flexible than any of these other guys and is SO much quicker, esp laterally than any of the others names we've kicked around. I don't know much about him, but I know that his HUDL is miles better than all of these guys. His size might be a concern (though he's self-reported up to 266 pounds now), I'd love to get some clear measurements. He's just so flexible and quick. 

https://247sports.com/Player/DeKedrick-Sterns-46096708/

HUDL ::  https://www.hudl.com/video/3/9746827/5dcd75482348190d883013dc

very athletic ::

Edited by golfclap
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Roach is doing a Q&A

File this under obviously: The question was "if we have a good season, who is most likely to flip" and Roach says the staff is working hard to flip Earle. Also, he said Texas is in a good spot with Evan Stewart, '22 WR who is, imo, better than Burton

https://247sports.com/Player/Evan-Stewart-46096676/

IT is still on an island with the Mukuba to Clemson smoke. Roach says "If we are monitoring my confidence like a stock i'd say the stock is slightly up right now."

Could be a linebacker mystery visitor. That would be Jalon Williams imo

Didn't one of the IT guys say we were recruiting Stewart as a DB and weren't in an ideal spot with him as a result?

38 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Sounds like mike White has some work to do. 

White told Herman, "You don't win national championships by wasting scholarships on dead weight. You never should have offered Luke and James just to get Tommy, now get out of my office and stop wasting my time."

23 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

ROACH:  "It's odd they hadn't already offered but nonetheless, I spoke with Billy and he said there is no reason to worry."

Roach never, ever has any reason to worry.  He's the most worry-free individual in the history of humankind.

15 minutes ago, BornOrange said:

White told Herman, "You don't win national championships by wasting scholarships on dead weight. You never should have offered Luke and James just to get Tommy, now get out of my office and stop wasting my time."

His girlfriend was the Gatorade national player of the year and believe she’s the #1 overall softball recruit for her class. Wouldn’t consider her dead weight. 

• Like 1

Nahlin definitely doesn't like Helm. He described him as having 'marginal athleticism' in an earlier post, whatever that's supposed to mean.
Not sure what that means indeed. I dont know many people at his height that can do a flat footed backflip without landing on their ass. I'm only 6'1 and was a decent athlete back in the day, but never attempted such..

Yeah, that has little to do with how well he can play TE, but doesnt seem to be an atheticism issue.

2 hours ago, golfclap said:

I hadn't watched it before. I watched Leyrer's not long ago. On Langyel -- it's almost impossible for me to even tell with this level of competition - it's so bad. It's like watching some of those NE aggy targets. I will say that if he's really 275 here he's got a frame that will easily carry a lean 310. Outside of that, it's nearly impossible to get a feel for him. Would've been huge to see him in a camp. He doesn't lumber - he moves like an athlete but otherwise, I just don't know. 

I'll say it again, looking at Leyrer and Langyel - and even the other interior OL guys we've looked at, I keep going back to DeKedrick Sterns - who looks exactly like a Herman/Yancey kind of take. He's far more flexible than any of these other guys and is SO much quicker, esp laterally than any of the others names we've kicked around. I don't know much about him, but I know that his HUDL is miles better than all of these guys. His size might be a concern (though he's self-reported up to 266 pounds now), I'd love to get some clear measurements. He's just so flexible and quick. 

3 hours ago, irishtexan said:

Dallas Jesuit is in 6A District 9 with Allen, Prosper, McKinney, Boyd and all three Plano schools. They're not the typical private school so competition isn't too bad. Unless you mean"better competition" going from high school to college. 

Irishtexan somehow an hour ahead of this analysis. You saying Jesuit's district sucks? I assume there's some film where he's lined up against respectable players

Then I would like to see a few full games because his highlights/HUDL show very little pass pro — and a lot of clips of him punishing 165 pound kids at the second level, or crashing down on 200 pound DL. I assumed that it was a bad level of competition but it may be a highly selective highlight reel. 

2 hours ago, golfclap said:

Yeah Sterns looks like what we typically look for in an OL.  I'd go:

1. Sterns

2. Leyrar

3.  Lengyal

9 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Then I would like to see a few full games because his highlights/HUDL show very little pass pro — and a lot of clips of him punishing 165 pound kids at the second level, or crashing down on 200 pound DL. I assumed that it was a bad level of competition but it may be a highly selective highlight reel. 

He does have an offer from Wickline.

9 hours ago, Luka Skywalker said:

You can't change the narrative when there is so much rot at the top.  I don't blame them for not joining a sinking ship.  2 offensive lineman are not going to overcome the arrogance of Tom Herman and right this ship.  They see the writing on the wall.

I don't understand the Luke vs. the "twins" argument.  Luke had no options.  He could play on scholarship for Rice or walk on at Texas.  Might as well go play for your "dream" school.  The twins had options.  They went with the option that gave them the best chance of winning and getting to the NFL.  You can't blame them for that. 

Herman came into to cook the cake and found out that he was missing the oven and some ingredients.  I thought Charlie was a good guy but he sucked as the head coach at Texas and he screwed us for the last 5 years.  Blaming Herman for not winning more with what Charlie left him is like hating a Chef on a Chopped because they could make Eel’s brain, Honey, pomegranates and bourbon taste like a turkey. 

The first class that we brought in has been solid. His 2 OL signees will get drafted in the higher rounds. Both Cosmi and Kerstetter were 3 stars.  The proof is 5 years after he starts.  I remember all the haters on LonghornFanZone screaming for Mack to be fired after 3 years.  He worked out ok.  Give Herman his time and sees what happens.  Winning changes everything.  It’s up to Tom now 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, BornOrange said:

3 hours ago, bEastTexas said:

His girlfriend was the Gatorade national player of the year and believe she’s the #1 overall softball recruit for her class. Wouldn’t consider her dead weight. 

White recruiting her and saying the above to Herman aren't mutually exclusive.

Honestly I'd respect them more if they had gone to OU. Gong to Alabama just proves you don't give 2 shits about football beyond it being a job, Tommy will make his millions and then retire early. He made a business decision so good for him but he'll have 0 impact on the history and legacy of Alabama he'll just another cog in their factory who was there for his required 3 years. Or maybe he'll get hurt his 2nd year never play and will be forced to transfer. He preferred that to joining the pride and winning tradition of becoming a Longhorn for life.
Not untrue.. but thats a texags level comment.
  • Like 2

Kendrick Blackshirhe's mom

" Well as the parent of Kendrick. Staying in Texas would have been great but the recruiting process in Texas lags. They do not communicate well. Coaches change. We were not impressed with the structure. We did talk to a lot of the players kids talk. That’s a big impact on a lot of the recruiting. They wait to late to show real interest especially when you dealing with multiple schools communicating all the time. Slow with relationship building. the development at a lot of the out of state school is much better in my opinion. And yes my son wants to go to the league so we decided to put him with one of the best defensive mind coaches".

sounds about right as ive said before the visits are wack compared to the strong era visits 

Edited by hornfromdallas
  • Fuck You 1

Maybe you're right that he hasn't had much speed specific training, but it's worth noting that he's a Cherry Creek kid, the equivalent of the Woodlands in Denver, and likely has a lot of high dollar training available if he wants it
I don't have a dog in the fight, I haven't seen anything of him other than a backflip video 
If he lives in Cherry Creek, he would have gone to Valor Christian if his parents were really all about football.
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Beau Vine said:
4 hours ago, bEastTexas said:

Plus, OU's softball program is a hell of a lot better than ours.

Texas probably goes to college World Series and has a very good shot to win it if they finished the season. When the season ended they were ranked #1. Bowman just now being offered is the story not that he has any intention on flipping. 

Edited by utfan87
  • Like 4

14 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

Sterns, Foster, Whittington. All composite 5 stars. All also from the state of Texas.

Do you even Rivals, bro?

7 hours ago, Katfid54 said:

But, like, was it really a backflip?

(I know it was.  But he also looked extremely stiff in doing it.  It was not the natural athletic elegance that you see from a bunch of these back flipping guys.  And I acknowledge that most of those guys aren't 6'5" 220+.)

Is this gonna be another “but does Duvernay really have good hands” thing?

5 hours ago, texifornia said:

Fuck aaaaaaall the way off

How the fuck have they not already offered him? 

5 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

His girlfriend is a nationally ranked softball player who has committed there. This is my nightmare.

Fear not. UT thots got this. 

/ Carl

16 minutes ago, hornfromdallas said:

sounds about right as ive said before the visits are wack compared to the strong era visits 

CompetentNextGallowaycow-size_restricted

Edited by Burt Macklin