Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

12 minutes ago, DontCallMeSurly said:

How about Anwar's reaction to said tweet?

Having this happen on the Paul Finebaum Show today, seems like a "hit job" from somebody in the SEC right before National Signing Day...  this follow-up tweet was out almost immediately

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, NoName said:

the odds of 10 players actually being drafted in any class are pretty damn small. they are especially small in this class compared to prior years based on the current composition.

your second sentence is the shit that TCU and Baylor fans say. breaking news - stars do matter. development matters as well, but acting like the ratings services are shitty in general are dumb.

Texas has shit the bed with evaluations so many times over the last 10 years that they do not deserve the benefit of the doubt. Hell, members of Tom Herman's staff have shit the bed a ton on evaluations over the last few years.

also, your mentioning of Rivals anywhere near 247 shows that you 1) have been away from recruiting for 10? years 2) are a troll or 3) are new to recruiting and somehow think Rivals is good.

let me be very, very clear - Rivals is shit and has been for a long time. It isn't 2000 anymore, use the 247 composite and you are going to be in pretty good shape.

---

people are crying about the class because Texas is in play for 2 of the top 10 recruits in the State (LJ and J'Tavion), they missed out on targets at top positions (QB, DE, CB, OT), they have missed out on legacies that should have been slam dunks (The Brocks), they have missed out on dynamic players (Bowman), ended up losing the commitment of players who were huge in recruiting for the school (#PraiseMilroe), slow played players at the QB position so badly that in a class that includes 9 players in the top 40 they never really had a chance at any of them and ended up getting Charles Wright who is outside the top 30 Pro Style QBs in the country. Texas skullfucked QB recruiting a million ways after losing Milroe - Texas lost him on August 17th, lost Ewers on October 28th and their recovery was to offer exactly one person (Wright) since then. Texas has 6 total offers to QBs in the '21 class - they wanted Nussmeier (overall #86 in composite lol) and Sawyer Robertson (#135) as 2nd QBs behind Milroe. Clearly that didn't happen. They offered Jake Garcia at some point and Preston Stone.

Texas missed out on basically every top In State offensive target - the top 8 players int he class are defensive. They have missed out on literally ever OT target and ended up with a guy ranked #162 in the composite in Texas whose second best offer is probably Indiana? Vandy? Arizona State?

WR recruiting wise, thank God for Jaden Alexis - otherwise they would really be in trouble. They landed Casey Cain and they have lost basically every other in state target (Hal Presley, JJ Henry, Theodore Knox) to programs such as Baylor, Mississippi State, Auburn with Gus and TCU yet again.

when it comes to TE, the guys that were committed and now aren't are ending up at Auburn (King) and USC (Lake McRee) - plus they slow played Arroyo who is going to Miami.

OT is a hilarious story in and of itself - missed on The Brocks, Byrd, misplayed their inherent in with Bram Walden and Jonah Miller (OG), couldn't land Foster, waited until too late to offer Jack Leyrer, missed on Jacoby Jackson, had Ryan Lengyel pick Baylor over Texas, made the right call on Fatheree and are going to end up with Max Merrill.  They fucked around and waited to offer Remington Strickland and missed him, they then "lost" (not necessarily a bad thing) Myslinski which noone is sad about.

On defense they lost out on Andrew Mukuba and didn't ever really recover with any of the other dudes offered or identified.

Texas is landing the lowest composite rated QB, WR and TE they have offered. They are getting the 2nd lowest OT offered (Merril is #162 in Texas vs Lengyel at #167),

People are pissed because targets ended up picking places such as Memphis (Andrew Jones), Boston College (Jalon Williams), Baylor (Lemear, Lengyel), AZ State (Jaydon Williams), Baylor (Hal Pressley, who is now at Auburn), couldn't flip a WR from Kentucky of all places (Crowdus), etc

To act like people are bitching about this for no reason is dumb. People are pissed because Texas is wasting any built in positives the program could possibly have and they are doing it in highly visible ways at highly visible positions and haven't really learned from their mistakes over the last 3 years.

Even if you go out and say they have reasons to not go after some players in the State top 20 (Adeleye,  Byrd, Fatheree, Preston Stone, Burris) they have flat out lost H2H battles to rivals for the #1 (Tommy Brock), #2 (Jackson), #5 (Turner), #7 (Bowman), #10 (Earle), #12 (Foster), #13/14 (Milroe/Nussmeier), #19 (Landon Jackson) players in the state and haven't really even had one of them drag things out to the end.

Of the uncommitted players in the Top 40 in the State, Texas is only really in it for LJ Johnson. They aren't landing Byrd or Foster or Wheaton.

---

This is the worst Texas class in years and the coaching staff has made it worse across the board by their bad planning, slow playing and bad evaluations.

Personally, I am still fucking terrified that Ja'Tavion Sanders is going to flip on NSD1 or wait to sign until NSD2. If he leaves this means that Texas top player in the class is going to be the #25 player in the State.

Even if Texas gets Sanders and LJ Johnson they are going to have 2 of the Top 10, and 3 of the top 25 players by composite in the State.

That isn't going to cut it.

Oh yeah, and recruiting for 2022 is fucked with a capital F if Tom Herman stays. There is zero reason to believe that the team will overall be better than they were this year with the best DL (Ossai), QB (Sam) and OL (Cosmi) they have had in years. Add in that they are losing their starting QB, the 2 best OL on the team, the best defensive player and DE, starters along the OL, TE, multiple starts from the safety position, etc and the on field results aren't going to change minds.

late edit: oh yeah, and you add in free transfer and a coach who clearly isn't beloved by the team and you are in a situation where it is entirely possible the only scholarship QBs on the roster in the fall are Hudson Card and True Freshman Charles Wright. Because if Card wins the starting role, I don't see any reason for Casey Thompson to stay.

That means you are 1 snap away from True Freshman Charles Wright taking meaningful snaps.

The number of potential transfers out from players who have taken snaps in 2020 should terrify you. Free transfer away from a program who has underutilized you for years will absolutely be appealing to guys like Jake Smith, Marcus Washington, Jared Wiley and Brayden Liebrock. Add in guys like Cook and Thompson, who have already hit the portal once before and it gets comical.

Seriously, if you are Wiley or Liebrock and Cade fucking Brewer got the majority of snaps at TE this year why do you have faith in the staff to properly utilize you? Same for Jake Smith - if they are going to play Kai Money over you...that has to bring up a ton of questions.

That mindset makes it difficult to recruit because ultimately you want blue chip recruits 

But the NFL Draft says the NFL doesn't care where a player is ranked coming into college. 

So I withhold judgement on the players until I actually see them.

I admit I laughed when Florida signed Kyle Trask. But they were right about Trask. Even if they were recruiting against Houston Baptist for him.

Edited by TheWellofInformation
  • Fuck You 1

35 minutes ago, TheWellofInformation said:

That mindset makes it difficult to recruit because ultimately you want blue chip recruits 

But the NFL Draft says the NFL doesn't care where a player is ranked coming into college. 

I admit I laughed when Florida signed Kyle Trask. But they were right about Trask. Even if they were recruiting against Houston Baptist for him.

This could not be more wrong. Recruiting rankings absolutely correlate to draft picks and college team success.  Listing an outlier at the end of your post doesn’t change that. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

This could not be more wrong. Recruiting rankings absolutely correlate to draft picks and college team success.  Listing an outlier at the end of your post doesn’t change that. 

Do me a favor 

Go back to 2008 and look at the recruiting ranking of players from the state Texas in the NFL.

• Fuck You 2

Just now, TheWellofInformation said:

Do me a favor 

Go back to 2008 and look at the recruiting ranking of players from the state Texas in the NFL.

They would absolutely correlate to draft picks, but I Don’t have to pull all that data, because there’s plenty of studies already done to show correlation to recruiting rankings for both. You can pick your own sample sizes to try to ignore the overall data all you want, but recruiting rankings still matter. 

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

They would absolutely correlate to draft picks, but I Don’t have to pull all that data, because there’s plenty of studies already done to show correlation to recruiting rankings for both. You can pick your own sample sizes to try to ignore the overall data all you want, but recruiting rankings still matter. 

So therefore we should withhold judgement until the players are on campus. 

Who knows with Brooks. 

Who is to say Brooks isn't the #1 RB in the state or let alone the country. 

So recruiting rankings after college are a lot more important than before college. Recruiting rankings are determine by the NFL draft.

1 hour ago, TheWellofInformation said:

22 minutes ago, TheWellofInformation said:

Do me a favor 

Didn't @Huckleberry already do this study and showed a strong correlation between players stars and their draft status?

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, Viper said:

Didn't @Huckleberry already do this study and showed a strong correlation between players stars and their draft status?

There's this: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/college-football-recruiting/2016/2/2/10889856/national-signing-day-rankings-ncaa-football

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Why don’t you do this?   You made the claim, you do the work.  

I already know. I am not the one freaking out over where 247 and Rivals has our recruits.

If a program bases their recruiting on where those recruiting sites have players they will fail.

Let's wait until the players get on campus and judge them. 

Makes life difficult for our coaching staff 

We expect Top 100 recruits. But often times players who aren't in the Top 100 are just as good. 

So by demanding that we recruit a certain level of player we are only hurting ourselves. Because there are numerous examples of players who aren't in the Top 100, 300 or even Top 1000 who are playing on Sundays 

I just want Sunday players regardless of their ranking 

• Fuck You 3

27 minutes ago, TheWellofInformation said:

I already know. I am not the one freaking out over where 247 and Rivals has our recruits.

If a program bases their recruiting on where those recruiting sites have players they will fail.

We expect Top 100 recruits. But often times players who aren't in the Top 100 are just as good. 

So by demanding that we recruit a certain level of player we are only hurting ourselves. Because there are numerous examples of players who aren't in the Top 100, 300 or even Top 1000 who are playing on Sundays 

So your reasoning is let's stop trying to take layups because sometimes we can hit a 20ft jumper?

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Viper said:

So your reasoning is let's stop trying to take layups because sometimes we can hit a 20ft jumper?

I want the staff to evaluate well regardless.

Problem this year is there hasn't really been camps.  

I don't know understand why you would think the people at 247 and rivals can evaluate better than football coaches.  I would be interested if any college or NFL hired someone from 247 or Rivals to evaluate for them 

So your analogy is incorrect. 

Like with Caden Sterns. Great Safety. Will play in the NFL. But doesn't have the over the top athleticism that other Safties have that will be drafted higher than him.

Caden Sterns wasn't the #1 safety that year. 

3 hours ago, TheWellofInformation said:

Aggy used to say this before they were good.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, TheWellofInformation said:

either you are about 15 or

493.jpg

Edited by NoName

7 hours ago, TheWellofInformation said:

I want the staff to evaluate well regardless.

Problem this year is there hasn't really been camps.  

I don't know understand why you would think the people at 247 and rivals can evaluate better than football coaches.  I would be interested if any college or NFL hired someone from 247 or Rivals to evaluate for them 

So your analogy is incorrect. 

Like with Caden Sterns. Great Safety. Will play in the NFL. But doesn't have the over the top athleticism that other Safties have that will be drafted higher than him.

Caden Sterns wasn't the #1 safety that year. 

yeah just in case folks needed to have more clarity around who and what exactly this guy is.

Sterns was the #19 overall composite player in his class, he was never lower than #30 in the composite. he is the #22 all time commit to Texas by recruiting ranking.

he was the #1 composite safety and the #1 composite player in Texas.

he was 247's #2 safety in the country behind Overshown and just ahead of BJ Foster and the #3 overall player in the state behind Overshown and Jalen Green.

go back to the football board. NSD isn't the day to either learn recruiting and crack your eggs of knowledge over us or for you to troll the handful of people in the universe who do actually care about recruiting.

• Hook 'Em 1