Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

19 minutes ago, Fud said:

We're going to have to scramble/hustle to find some underrated kids to fill out the class, unfortunately, unless we can flip JoJo (might be doable, he never visited LSU and it feels like he might have been told to commit or lose his spot) and/or decide to take Quay. Michael Jackson III and Presley are solid takes, and hopefully we land them, but we'd need two more. Might make sense to find a talented transfer from the 2019 or 2020 classes who isn't happy with his situation. 

My dream would be for Dylan Wright and, if he can get his head straight, Trejan Bridges to transfer here from aggy and ou.

7 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

My dream would be for Dylan Wright and, if he can get his head straight, Trejan Bridges to transfer here from aggy and ou.

I'm not sure Dylan Wright can be accused of being a head case. I don't remember any of that. He is just a guy we thought we had, and then he got bought straight up and went to aTm. That's not a head case to me, just a kid who got paid. 

If memory serves Trejan Bridges had some red flags. I don't think it was necessarily being thuggish, though, although I could be misremembering. I thought it was the fact that he was real close to being functionally retarded. So, yeah, not sure I see that guy being someone who is going to transfer out. That and he's going to get plenty of chances to showcase at OU. Wright might be an option, I guess, if he comes in and gets passed immediately by Demas. But he would have to play this year, be dissatisfied, transfer, sit out a year, etc. In short, none of your proposes seems like it's going to be giving us any immediate help any time soon. 

The level at which we're sucking hind tit and taint at WR recruiting this cycle is undeniable and concerning. But at the same time, we've got talent on campus. Washington,Whittington, Smith, Eagles, Moore are all plus contributors or potentially elite at the college level. Omiere and Woodard could give us good snaps. Plus our TE's should be functional to decent this year. Most of the players I just mentioned are going to be Sophomores or younger. We just need to show out and bring in a crop of elite talent in the class after and hope Coleman can get them into workable shape as freshmen. It's not unheard of. But it sure as shit isn't a great position to be in, that is for sure.

All that being said, the next season Tom Herman doesn't have 2-3 unforced errors running this program will be the first fucking season. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

I'm not sure Dylan Wright can be accused of being a head case. I don't remember any of that. He is just a guy we thought we had, and then he got bought straight up and went to aTm. That's not a head case to me, just a kid who got paid. 

If memory serves Trejan Bridges had some red flags. I don't think it was necessarily being thuggish, though, although I could be misremembering. I thought it was the fact that he was real close to being functionally retarded. So, yeah, not sure I see that guy being someone who is going to transfer out. That and he's going to get plenty of chances to showcase at OU. Wright might be an option, I guess, if he comes in and gets passed immediately by Demas. But he would have to play this year, be dissatisfied, transfer, sit out a year, etc. In short, none of your proposes seems like it's going to be giving us any immediate help any time soon. 

The level at which we're sucking hind tit and taint at WR recruiting this cycle is undeniable and concerning. But at the same time, we've got talent on campus. Washington,Whittington, Smith, Eagles, Moore are all plus contributors or potentially elite at the college level. Omiere and Woodard could give us good snaps. Plus our TE's should be functional to decent this year. Most of the players I just mentioned are going to be Sophomores or younger. We just need to show out and bring in a crop of elite talent in the class after and hope Coleman can get them into workable shape as freshmen. It's not unheard of. But it sure as shit isn't a great position to be in, that is for sure.

All that being said, the next season Tom Herman doesn't have 2-3 unforced errors running this program will be the first fucking season. 

Trejan is the one who has issues..think he is suspended too right?  Wright from what I know doesn't.. he's going to waste away in B/CS.  Also don't forget Kennedy Lewis who I think will be better than Washington.

Honestly, the only hope Texas has of making the playoff is to recruit lights out.  We haven't had a coach that can adequately develop talent since Darrell Royal so we have to win on talent alone, a la Vince Young.  Once the recruiting slips, it's lights out.  I think Herman signed his pink slip with the birdie to the camera.

Edited by 2300 Nueces
  • Like 1

Bobby Brown: 2016 recruiting class

The 2016 Texas recruiting class ended up producing four draft picks (there remain three who have yet to exhaust their eligibility). What’s interesting is that the top two rated players in the class were also the first two Longhorns drafted - Devin Duvernay and Brandon Jones. Attrition played a large role in this class, with one of those ending up being drafted (Jordan Elliott). That’s unsurprising with the coaching change that took place. All of these players were recruited by Charlie Strong.

In all, eleven players transferred before exhausting their eligibility in Austin. Others physically retired from football, like Andrew Fitzgerald and Pat Hudson. The 2016 recruiting class was not a bad one by any stretch for the Horns. Remember, LJ Humphrey is already in the league, too. And both Malcolm Roach and Zach Shackleford signee with teams yesterday.

If Chris Brown makes it in the league, I would be pleasantly surprised. He’ll do it because of anticipation, intelligence and determination rather than even average athleticism for the NFL. With Denzel Okafor, it’ll be about how he plays as a senior. He has the size and arm length to be a guard on the next level. He has the NFL level size but he will have to prove he has everything else.

Andrew Hatterrsley: 4-star DE Landon Jackson honing in on decision, updates timeline

April and May was expected to a busy time for four-star defensive end Landon Jackson, who was just about to kick off his junior season in baseball and had trips planned as well to A&M and LSU.

With the country coming to a standstill, many of those plans have come to a halt, however, the four-star defensive end has stayed busy working out, running a lot and embracing his role as one of the leaders of the team heading into his senior season as the Hawks look to make another state title run. “My main goal is really just building a relationship with this group of players we have this year like we had with the good players we had last year,” Jackson said. “Then getting my weight up to about 245.”

Jackson was originally scheduled to take his first scheduled official visit to A&M last weekend with one set for LSU next month, but with the timing up in the air as to when or if those visits will happen, Jackson will be ready either way. LSU, A&M, Washington, USC, Oregon and Texas have been the schools in touch with Jackson the most, with the Huskies, Trojans and Ducks also conducting virtual visits with him this spring.

“It really all depends because if the whole event keeps on going, I'm probably not going to take any of my officials,” Jackson said. “I might take one on our bye week during the season, but if it doesn't open back up until the season, I'm not going to take any.” The four-star defensive end said he still expects he will be ready to make a decision prior to the start of the season and if need be would just take an official to the school he is committed to later in the year.

Despite not being able to host Jackson earlier this month, Jackson did take a visit to College Station for the Super Bowl junior day and spent time talking with the coaches and players before touring the new dorms and taking in the game. “I liked it a lot more that it was like a smaller group rather than like a junior day where there's a load of people,” Jackson said. “It was basically like their main recruits there, so it was a lot of the guys I knew but I was able to spend a lot more time with the coaches.”

Jackson also had a chance to spend some time talking with Jimbo Fisher, who he usually speaks with once a week. “It went really well, we talk quite a bit at least once every week,” Jackson said. “It's just asking how the family is doing, how's it going down here mainly and just basically talking about all the guys that they have so far committed and everything and how my class is standing at right now.”

The four-star defender also had the chance prior to the dead period to take a trip to LSU, which made a strong impression on him after also visiting last fall. “I'm not going to lie, LSU's visit stood out,” Jackson said. “I was able to have an individual visit and really just get a whole lot of one-on-one time with all the coaches. And then I got to see just about all the facilities and everything I had a great time.”

Jackson is rated as the No. 106 prospect nationally, according to the industry-generated 247Sports Composite, and No. 3 weak-side defensive end in the 2021 class.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2300 Nueces said:

Honestly, the only hope Texas has of making the playoff is to recruit lights out.  We haven't had a coach that can adequately develop talent since Darrell Royal so we have to win on talent alone, a la Vince Young.  Once the recruiting slips, it's lights out.  I think Herman signed his pink slip with the birdie to the camera.

the middle finger? Really?  I think it's his choices of staff that have burned him..but yeah lets go with the middle finger here.

Yeah, Herman can only look at himself in the mirror.  There’s very little room for error when ou and LSU are competing for national titles.  I’m sure Herman can feel his ass getting spanked by Ogre and Riley.  He’s got this year.  If he doesn’t compete for a playoff spot this year, next year we will go through the motions and fire him.  

A guy I know here in town has a son Landon’s age. He told me that the last time Landon was over at their house he asked him about recruiting. He said that he was really high on A&M before both Texas and LSU made changes on defense. Since then, he has been all Texas and LSU. He also told me that he thought Landon was leaning Texas. This comes from an LSU fan so tifwiw.

4 minutes ago, EE2B said:

A guy I know here in town has a son Landon’s age. He told me that the last time Landon was over at their house he asked him about recruiting. He said that he was really high on A&M before both Texas and LSU made changes on defense. Since then, he has been all Texas and LSU. He also told me that he thought Landon was leaning Texas. This comes from an LSU fan so tifwiw.

not this shit again harvdog

• Like 2

Here is the post on tigerdroppings for the reasoning:

what I was told today by a member of his family was he was tired of all the phone calls, text messages and mail that he receives and is ready to shut it down and that it was LSU...even told his parents of his decision...like I said this is just what I was told.

41 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

the middle finger? Really?  I think it's his choices of staff that have burned him..but yeah lets go with the middle finger here.

For me, it was making fun of the Mizzou QB in the Alamo Bowl.  College kids acting a fool is one thing ... “adult” acting like a foolish kid is quite another.

• Fuck You 2

31 minutes ago, EE2B said:

Was Jackson seen wearing some Longhorn gear?  Because that would pretty much guarantee he'll choose UT.

It’s just frustrating.  Not much you can point to at this point.  We can’t develop players, we don’t win, we can’t beat our rival consistently,  we play in a shit conference, and can’t compete for the playoffs.  We can’t even get our own 3Rd generation legacy players to commit.  This stupid fuck Herman had a great opportunity to get rid of Beck and dead weight after the sugar bowl win without much backlash.  Instead his ego was so big he doubled down and ended up embarrassing himself.  We were on an upward trajectory.  Having a bad season in your 3rd year with your own players and staff and having to fire all off them have completely fucked us as far as making progress and taking the next step.  

What makes it worse is that he a complete arrogant narcissist.  The fans dislike him, the reporters dislike him, many of the his own coaches and players dislike him.  He’s childish and immature.  Getting caught going to strip clubs on recruiting trips and throwing up middle fingers at the cameras indicates he’s nowhere ready to run a program like Texas.  I listened to his most recent virtual tailgate with Anwar.  Even when he tries to interact with fans, he comes off like a complete dick.  I can see why he has a hard time developing relationships with parents, players, and recruits.

There is no excuse for us to lose players like JoJo whose family is all longhorn fans, who visited us more than any school, he we offered his sophomore year.  He committed to a school he hasn’t even visited yet.  After all that effort, we don’t even make his top 5.  Something is broken. Even SMU is kicking our ass in recruiting right now.  Unacceptable for us to be in this position in year 4.

Rant over, fuck Herman!

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Thiefery said:

Holy shit.. This feels like deja vu from last June with all the doom and gloom. Ready for a run of commits to get this board drinking kool-aide all over again 

you say that as if those predicting 'doom and gloom' weren't ultimately correct.

3 minutes ago, satyanash said:

you say that as if those predicting 'doom and gloom' weren't ultimately correct.

ugh.. because of the lackluster season? yes.  But prior to the season we were riding high after the run of guys we had late July through August..  Yet we still closed strong with perhaps the best DL haul we have had in the last decade.. ALONG with a gamechanging 5 star RB.. but please keep crying 

• Like 1