Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

I've banged this drum on here before, but Louisiana has maybe their deepest WR class ever, and with LSU having an all time passing season, they'll probably take some national kids (they already have a WR commit from Mississippi and Texas) over the in-state kids, and some of those kids will be available without LSU interference. 

So I was really surprised when Texas offered Casey Cain, who's the 8th ranked WR (with 3 athletes also ranked ahead of him), before they offered much more highly regarded WRs (the only other one who's been offered is the #4 rated WR, and we were a little late on him and didn't make his top whatever list of schools). It's weird to me that all of these guys don't have offers, but maybe some are just overrated or some they know they have no shot at. 

Similar to the recent offer Michael Jackson III (who unfortunately doesn't have a junior hudl up), I think Cain is very attainable and perhaps even likely if the staff really likes him. 

I'm not trying to be overly positive and pumping these guys up as adequate replacements for JoJo Earle, Quay Davis, Banks, Jackson, etc., just pointing out two guys who could easily end in this class. 

• Like 2

Don't see it with Cain. Doesn't create easy separation for the level and doesn't appear to be big enough to make up for it, and on top of that he's not a hands catcher. Maybe there's some game tape out there where he's faster that I'm not seeing 

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/9723218/5df7db077bdcb314f4e49dcd

I like Michael Jackson III a lot more. He's not JoJo, but he's a take, imo. Nahlin mentioned Duvernay with him; I think he's a little stocky like Duvernay, but I think he has less long speed but more short area agility and fluidity

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/13236226/5de3ee142aa6880e34322aad

Just now, Fud said:

Don't see it with Cain. Doesn't create easy separation for the level and doesn't appear to be big enough to make up for it, and on top of that he's not a hands catcher. Maybe there's some game tape out there where he's faster that I'm not seeing 

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/9723218/5df7db077bdcb314f4e49dcd

I like Michael Jackson III a lot more. He's not JoJo, but he's a take, imo. Nahlin mentioned Duvernay with him; I think he's a little stocky like Duvernay, but I think he has less long speed but more short area agility and fluidity

Nahlin said “Duvernay workout the top end speed” so you’re not far off there. Cain is baffling to me. 

1 hour ago, Fud said:

I've banged this drum on here before, but Louisiana has maybe their deepest WR class ever, and with LSU having an all time passing season, they'll probably take some national kids (they already have a WR commit from Mississippi and Texas) over the in-state kids, and some of those kids will be available without LSU interference. 

So I was really surprised when Texas offered Casey Cain, who's the 8th ranked WR (with 3 athletes also ranked ahead of him), before they offered much more highly regarded WRs (the only other one who's been offered is the #4 rated WR, and we were a little late on him and didn't make his top whatever list of schools). It's weird to me that all of these guys don't have offers, but maybe some are just overrated or some they know they have no shot at. 

Similar to the recent offer Michael Jackson III (who unfortunately doesn't have a junior hudl up), I think Cain is very attainable and perhaps even likely if the staff really likes him. 

I'm not trying to be overly positive and pumping these guys up as adequate replacements for JoJo Earle, Quay Davis, Banks, Jackson, etc., just pointing out two guys who could easily end in this class. 

So what would a wish-list of Louisiana WRs overlooked by LSU look like? Just go down the 247 rankings or do your opinions differ from theirs?

7 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

So what would a wish-list of Louisiana WRs overlooked by LSU look like? Just go down the 247 rankings or do your opinions differ from theirs?

I haven't watched them all, mostly going off of offers and rankings. I have a pretty wide open day today and was going to watch some WR recruits while following the draft

1 hour ago, Fud said:

Man those highlights are off the wall. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Fud said:

Fud,do you live in Louisiana?

7 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Can't even use what Lil' Jordan and Dev Duv did the last 2 season as a slot WR to land anybody.

LJH went undrafted. So who gives a shit? 

Duv went in the 3rd. That’s solid. But no one goes to a school dreaming to be drafted in the 3rd round. It’s not a great sales pitch. 

We are still paying for the sins of having arguably the worst WR coach in all of college football. It will take more than a couple of months to wash away the stink of our former coach who’s name is not even worth mentioning. 2021 is already forsaken. Our best hope is improved on field performance combined with Coleman’s relationship building in the next class yielding better results for 2022. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

We are still paying for the sins of having arguably the worst WR coach in all of college football. It will take more than a couple of months to wash away the stink of our former coach who’s name is not even worth mentioning. 2021 is already forsaken. Our best hope is improved on field performance combined with Coleman’s relationship building in the next class yielding better results for 2022. 

I mean, our best hope would have been to hire someone who could recruit AND coach. 

• Like 2

We're going to have to scramble/hustle to find some underrated kids to fill out the class, unfortunately, unless we can flip JoJo (might be doable, he never visited LSU and it feels like he might have been told to commit or lose his spot) and/or decide to take Quay. Michael Jackson III and Presley are solid takes, and hopefully we land them, but we'd need two more. Might make sense to find a talented transfer from the 2019 or 2020 classes who isn't happy with his situation. 

• Like 1