Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

For you percentages boners

OBs

Spoiler

We released our first installment of the 2021 Recruiting Board this week, so I thought this would be a good time to go through it, prospect by prospect, and break down why I have the percentages where I do.

This is already proving to be a bit of a trick year to predict since there are so many unknowns in terms of visits, and recruits are rapidly changing their timelines, but let’s work through the board (not including UT commitments) …

Garrett Nussmeier – 25% - He didn’t commit on his original schedule (last weekend) so there’s still time for him to get down to Austin for a visit, which is still a strong possibility. If/when that happens, these percentages will go up, but I’m expecting this to be a one-man QB class of Jalen Milroe.

Camar Wheaton – 50% - These percentages are Texas versus the field, so I’m basically saying I think it’s a coin flip on whether or not Wheaton winds up in Austin. If I was breaking each school down by individual percentages, I’d probably go Texas 35%, OU 35%, SMU 15%, some out-of-state school like LSU or Bama 15%. I think this one could ultimately come down to either Texas or OU, and it’s really hard to say right now which one of those two might have the lead.

LJ Johnson – 40% - Some may feel this is a bit low but I can’t quite shake the fact that Johnson did a recent update and didn’t mention Texas. To be fair, when I asked a follow-up if Texas was still in the mix, he said UT definitely was and said he has a really good relationship with Stan Drayton. All that being said, I can’t put Texas as the leader in this one.

RB Jonathon Brooks – 80% - I think I had him about 65% when I first started building this thing, but after talking to him last week I’d be surprised if he landed anywhere but Texas.

WR Ketron Jackson – 40% - Jackson is keeping an open mind, but he was really excited about his recent Texas offer when I talked to him that same day. He also said this week he’s been staying in touch with Tom Herman, which makes me think he’s a pretty big priority. Jackson wants to get to Austin for a visit whenever possible, and I could see this percentage shooting up quite a bit when that happens.

WR Hal Presley – 40% - Another guy who is pretty open but Presley’s a guy Texas has been talking to for a while. He was able to take a lot of visits before the dead period hit, including attending a UT game, so Texas should stay in the mix here.

WR Theodore Knox – 45% - I wish I had a better read on Knox but he’s been tough for me to track down for a one-on-one update. Rivals.com’s Sam Spiegelman told me last week he thinks this one might be down to Texas or Mississippi State, two schools he’s been high on for a while. With JoJo Earle committing to LSU, the importance of getting Knox goes up a notch or two.

WR JoJo Earle – 20% - I had him at 20% but he committed to LSU on Thursday. Texas tried to get back in it and did a good job of getting him to listen, but it was too little too late. Interesting that he committed to LSU without ever having visited there.

WR Quaydarius Davis – 40% - Tough one to predict because Quay is all over the place. He’s been committed to Texas publicly once. He was VERY high on Texas earlier this spring but has backed off on that recently. If certain things work out, UT could still land him but right now I’d take the field.

TE Landen King – 60% - He’s picked up some big offers so this one’s a little less clear than I thought it was earlier this spring, but Texas really likes him, he really likes UT and his sister is a student at Texas. King to UT still makes a lot of sense.

TE Elijah Arroyo – 40% - Arroyo doesn’t have the ties to UT that King does, so I’ve got him slotted a little lower. He did tell me after picking up his Texas offer that he would consider a Texas OV, so we’ll have to see if that happens at some point.

TE Lake McRee – 35% - I don’t have a great feel on what McRee is thinking after he decommitted, but it’s not often that a guy decommits and then recommits to the same school. Not having spring ball stinks for McRee, who was hoping to get some non-contact work in after missing last year with a knee injury.

OL Tommy Brockermeyer – 45% - This one’s been discussed a bunch. There was a time when I thought Texas was the team to beat, but never the sure thing some made it out to be. Clemson surged for a bit but seems to have fallen back. Alabama is the trendy pick right now, which makes sense because Tommy and James were scheduled to take two visits there before things shut down. There’s some thought that a good 2020 season would really help UT’s chances – and I agree with that – but the plan has always been for the brothers to commit before their senior seasons kick off. If they push that back due to an inability to take summer visits, that could weigh in Texas’ favor.

OL James Brockermeyer – 45% - He and Tommy have said it’s not set in stone that they’ll play together at the next level, but it’s hard to see a scenario where they’re at different schools. Like Tommy, Texas is in a good spot here, but Alabama and a couple others are going to put up a good fight.

OL Bryce Foster – 40% - I’ve been saying for a while that Oklahoma was the team nobody was taking seriously enough. Now, OU is the trendy pick. Foster visited Norman in March, so the Sooners have had the last chance to make an impression before things got shut down. Texas needs to hope Foster sticks to his plan to take all five visits and commit in December, which I’m expecting.

OL Bram Walden – 40% - Going in at 40% is probably higher than most people would put UT’s chances, but I’ve had an Arizona source tell me Texas’ chances are as good as anyone’s. This one could get interesting if/when Walden gets to Austin for a visit.

OL Jonah Miller – 35% - This might be a bit low for Miller considering he’s visited UT twice and told me he wants to get out of state for college, but my gut tells me he stays in the Pac-12 region when it’s all said and done.

OL Savion Byrd – 40% - There was a lot of LSU buzz earlier this spring but any time I’ve communicated with Byrd, I’ve thought that was a bit overblown. Does he like LSU? Definitely, but he’s never visited there. The last time I talked to him, he mentioned SMU and Texas being atop his list because of his familiarity with both programs. Lately, there’s been more SMU chatter, thus putting him at less than 50%.

OL Matthew Wykoff – 30% - It’ll be interesting to see if Texas turns up the heat on Wykoff depending on what happens with some other guys. He likes UT and visited in January, but he also has some out-of-state schools (like USC) that he really likes.

DE Landon Jackson – 50% - I just can’t go higher than that before Jackson takes his visit. And A&M is always going to be a major factor for him. After talking to him recently, I honestly don’t think Jackson knows where he’ll wind up just yet.

DE/DT Shemar Turner – 50% - That’s a pretty high number considering the competition in this one (Alabama, LSU, Georgia, Ohio State, A&M, Oklahoma, etc) but I can’t forget that Turner visited Texas twice this spring before the current dead period kicked in.

DE Jordon Thomas – 70% - He’s down to Texas and Texas A&M and social media clues seem to favor Texas.

DE Arden Walker – 40% - I normally don’t put guys on the board who haven’t visited, but Walker was planning to get to Austin before the world was turned upside down and his interest in UT is definitely legit now that Texas has offered. I fully expect him to visit at some point if Texas keeps pushing.

DT Marcus Burris – 35% - I’m a bit torn on this one. There’s so much A&M talk, that it’s tough to ignore. Yet the times I’ve talked to Burris, he’s been very open about how much he likes Texas, and he basically told me those are the only two that he knows will get OVs. I could see this one coming down to an in-state battle, and you have to wonder how the recruitment of Jackson might factor in. Tough one to call, but A&M has been believed to be the longtime leader.

LB Terrence Cooks – 65% - I’ve been saying it for a while, but this one just feels like it’s going to fall Texas’ way.

LB/DE Clayton Smith – 55% - It felt like things had cooled a bit with Smith earlier this spring (maybe because I had been unable to get in touch with him) but when I spoke to him last week, Texas is definitely still a priority for him and I like UT’s chances better than anyone else’s at this point. LSU could be a real threat if the Tigers prioritize him.

LB Jaydon Williams – 60% - He’ll announce May 1, so we’ll have our answer soon. Whenever I talk to him, including this week, he mentions that it’s been a lifelong dream of his to play at Texas. The thing that worries me with picking UT as the team to beat is a connected SMU source tells me the Ponies think they’re going to get him.

LB Morice Blackwell – 30% - He doesn’t say much so it’s hard to get a good read, but he’s a guy I’d need to see visit another time or two before I go much higher than this.

CB Ishmael Ibraheem – 35% - Ibraheem’s a guy I could certainly see in this class when it’s all said and done, but he has a star-studded top 10 so Texas is going to have some tough competition. He’s got four in-state schools plus out-of-state programs like Alabama, LSU, Michigan, Georgia and Auburn.

CB Hunter Washington – 30% - Washington did take a Texas visit earlier this year and said he really liked it, but he’s also mentioned a bunch of out-of-state schools he wants to visit. Tough one to read, honestly.

CB Deuce Harmon – 25% - I put this number pretty low since Texas just offered and he basically said the Longhorns are behind the pack. But I fully expect this number to consistently rise if Texas recruits him heavily.

S JD Coffey – 60% - I’ve always felt like Texas looks good here. Coffey visited in late January, loved it and was supposed to visit again in late March for a spring practice. If Texas pushes, I like the Longhorns’ chances.

S Andrew Mukuba – 40% - When Texas first offered, Mukuba was fresh off an OU visit and the Sooners had most of the buzz. Not so much anymore, as Texas has done a good job of late. I need to follow up with him this week because I’m not sure 40% isn’t too low.

S Isaiah Nwokobia – 40% - He’s very high on Texas and wants to take an official visit to Austin. If that happens, this one could be very interesting. SMU is a school that’s generated a lot of chatter with him of late.

DB Ceyair Wright – 25% - He hasn’t visited yet, but he was scheduled to come to Austin the weekend everything got shut down so he deserves a spot on the list.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, The Marsellus Wallace said:

Well, as of this afternoon that's two targets we missed on. Is this class going to be worth a shit? Honest question.

DL and LB looking very good so far. DB is fine for a kinda thin year. Ain't worried about QB at all. Plenty of irons in the fire at TE.

True we fucked up WR already, and we may or may not be in the process of fucking up OL.  Let's all take a deep breath, though.

1 hour ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

OBs

Hide contents

We released our first installment of the 2021 Recruiting Board this week, so I thought this would be a good time to go through it, prospect by prospect, and break down why I have the percentages where I do.

This is already proving to be a bit of a trick year to predict since there are so many unknowns in terms of visits, and recruits are rapidly changing their timelines, but let’s work through the board (not including UT commitments) …

Garrett Nussmeier – 25% - He didn’t commit on his original schedule (last weekend) so there’s still time for him to get down to Austin for a visit, which is still a strong possibility. If/when that happens, these percentages will go up, but I’m expecting this to be a one-man QB class of Jalen Milroe.

Camar Wheaton – 50% - These percentages are Texas versus the field, so I’m basically saying I think it’s a coin flip on whether or not Wheaton winds up in Austin. If I was breaking each school down by individual percentages, I’d probably go Texas 35%, OU 35%, SMU 15%, some out-of-state school like LSU or Bama 15%. I think this one could ultimately come down to either Texas or OU, and it’s really hard to say right now which one of those two might have the lead.

LJ Johnson – 40% - Some may feel this is a bit low but I can’t quite shake the fact that Johnson did a recent update and didn’t mention Texas. To be fair, when I asked a follow-up if Texas was still in the mix, he said UT definitely was and said he has a really good relationship with Stan Drayton. All that being said, I can’t put Texas as the leader in this one.

RB Jonathon Brooks – 80% - I think I had him about 65% when I first started building this thing, but after talking to him last week I’d be surprised if he landed anywhere but Texas.

WR Ketron Jackson – 40% - Jackson is keeping an open mind, but he was really excited about his recent Texas offer when I talked to him that same day. He also said this week he’s been staying in touch with Tom Herman, which makes me think he’s a pretty big priority. Jackson wants to get to Austin for a visit whenever possible, and I could see this percentage shooting up quite a bit when that happens.

WR Hal Presley – 40% - Another guy who is pretty open but Presley’s a guy Texas has been talking to for a while. He was able to take a lot of visits before the dead period hit, including attending a UT game, so Texas should stay in the mix here.

WR Theodore Knox – 45% - I wish I had a better read on Knox but he’s been tough for me to track down for a one-on-one update. Rivals.com’s Sam Spiegelman told me last week he thinks this one might be down to Texas or Mississippi State, two schools he’s been high on for a while. With JoJo Earle committing to LSU, the importance of getting Knox goes up a notch or two.

WR JoJo Earle – 20% - I had him at 20% but he committed to LSU on Thursday. Texas tried to get back in it and did a good job of getting him to listen, but it was too little too late. Interesting that he committed to LSU without ever having visited there.

WR Quaydarius Davis – 40% - Tough one to predict because Quay is all over the place. He’s been committed to Texas publicly once. He was VERY high on Texas earlier this spring but has backed off on that recently. If certain things work out, UT could still land him but right now I’d take the field.

TE Landen King – 60% - He’s picked up some big offers so this one’s a little less clear than I thought it was earlier this spring, but Texas really likes him, he really likes UT and his sister is a student at Texas. King to UT still makes a lot of sense.

TE Elijah Arroyo – 40% - Arroyo doesn’t have the ties to UT that King does, so I’ve got him slotted a little lower. He did tell me after picking up his Texas offer that he would consider a Texas OV, so we’ll have to see if that happens at some point.

TE Lake McRee – 35% - I don’t have a great feel on what McRee is thinking after he decommitted, but it’s not often that a guy decommits and then recommits to the same school. Not having spring ball stinks for McRee, who was hoping to get some non-contact work in after missing last year with a knee injury.

OL Tommy Brockermeyer – 45% - This one’s been discussed a bunch. There was a time when I thought Texas was the team to beat, but never the sure thing some made it out to be. Clemson surged for a bit but seems to have fallen back. Alabama is the trendy pick right now, which makes sense because Tommy and James were scheduled to take two visits there before things shut down. There’s some thought that a good 2020 season would really help UT’s chances – and I agree with that – but the plan has always been for the brothers to commit before their senior seasons kick off. If they push that back due to an inability to take summer visits, that could weigh in Texas’ favor.

OL James Brockermeyer – 45% - He and Tommy have said it’s not set in stone that they’ll play together at the next level, but it’s hard to see a scenario where they’re at different schools. Like Tommy, Texas is in a good spot here, but Alabama and a couple others are going to put up a good fight.

OL Bryce Foster – 40% - I’ve been saying for a while that Oklahoma was the team nobody was taking seriously enough. Now, OU is the trendy pick. Foster visited Norman in March, so the Sooners have had the last chance to make an impression before things got shut down. Texas needs to hope Foster sticks to his plan to take all five visits and commit in December, which I’m expecting.

OL Bram Walden – 40% - Going in at 40% is probably higher than most people would put UT’s chances, but I’ve had an Arizona source tell me Texas’ chances are as good as anyone’s. This one could get interesting if/when Walden gets to Austin for a visit.

OL Jonah Miller – 35% - This might be a bit low for Miller considering he’s visited UT twice and told me he wants to get out of state for college, but my gut tells me he stays in the Pac-12 region when it’s all said and done.

OL Savion Byrd – 40% - There was a lot of LSU buzz earlier this spring but any time I’ve communicated with Byrd, I’ve thought that was a bit overblown. Does he like LSU? Definitely, but he’s never visited there. The last time I talked to him, he mentioned SMU and Texas being atop his list because of his familiarity with both programs. Lately, there’s been more SMU chatter, thus putting him at less than 50%.

OL Matthew Wykoff – 30% - It’ll be interesting to see if Texas turns up the heat on Wykoff depending on what happens with some other guys. He likes UT and visited in January, but he also has some out-of-state schools (like USC) that he really likes.

DE Landon Jackson – 50% - I just can’t go higher than that before Jackson takes his visit. And A&M is always going to be a major factor for him. After talking to him recently, I honestly don’t think Jackson knows where he’ll wind up just yet.

DE/DT Shemar Turner – 50% - That’s a pretty high number considering the competition in this one (Alabama, LSU, Georgia, Ohio State, A&M, Oklahoma, etc) but I can’t forget that Turner visited Texas twice this spring before the current dead period kicked in.

DE Jordon Thomas – 70% - He’s down to Texas and Texas A&M and social media clues seem to favor Texas.

DE Arden Walker – 40% - I normally don’t put guys on the board who haven’t visited, but Walker was planning to get to Austin before the world was turned upside down and his interest in UT is definitely legit now that Texas has offered. I fully expect him to visit at some point if Texas keeps pushing.

DT Marcus Burris – 35% - I’m a bit torn on this one. There’s so much A&M talk, that it’s tough to ignore. Yet the times I’ve talked to Burris, he’s been very open about how much he likes Texas, and he basically told me those are the only two that he knows will get OVs. I could see this one coming down to an in-state battle, and you have to wonder how the recruitment of Jackson might factor in. Tough one to call, but A&M has been believed to be the longtime leader.

LB Terrence Cooks – 65% - I’ve been saying it for a while, but this one just feels like it’s going to fall Texas’ way.

LB/DE Clayton Smith – 55% - It felt like things had cooled a bit with Smith earlier this spring (maybe because I had been unable to get in touch with him) but when I spoke to him last week, Texas is definitely still a priority for him and I like UT’s chances better than anyone else’s at this point. LSU could be a real threat if the Tigers prioritize him.

LB Jaydon Williams – 60% - He’ll announce May 1, so we’ll have our answer soon. Whenever I talk to him, including this week, he mentions that it’s been a lifelong dream of his to play at Texas. The thing that worries me with picking UT as the team to beat is a connected SMU source tells me the Ponies think they’re going to get him.

LB Morice Blackwell – 30% - He doesn’t say much so it’s hard to get a good read, but he’s a guy I’d need to see visit another time or two before I go much higher than this.

CB Ishmael Ibraheem – 35% - Ibraheem’s a guy I could certainly see in this class when it’s all said and done, but he has a star-studded top 10 so Texas is going to have some tough competition. He’s got four in-state schools plus out-of-state programs like Alabama, LSU, Michigan, Georgia and Auburn.

CB Hunter Washington – 30% - Washington did take a Texas visit earlier this year and said he really liked it, but he’s also mentioned a bunch of out-of-state schools he wants to visit. Tough one to read, honestly.

CB Deuce Harmon – 25% - I put this number pretty low since Texas just offered and he basically said the Longhorns are behind the pack. But I fully expect this number to consistently rise if Texas recruits him heavily.

S JD Coffey – 60% - I’ve always felt like Texas looks good here. Coffey visited in late January, loved it and was supposed to visit again in late March for a spring practice. If Texas pushes, I like the Longhorns’ chances.

S Andrew Mukuba – 40% - When Texas first offered, Mukuba was fresh off an OU visit and the Sooners had most of the buzz. Not so much anymore, as Texas has done a good job of late. I need to follow up with him this week because I’m not sure 40% isn’t too low.

S Isaiah Nwokobia – 40% - He’s very high on Texas and wants to take an official visit to Austin. If that happens, this one could be very interesting. SMU is a school that’s generated a lot of chatter with him of late.

DB Ceyair Wright – 25% - He hasn’t visited yet, but he was scheduled to come to Austin the weekend everything got shut down so he deserves a spot on the list.

I’m not sure I’ve ever read an update that makes it more clearly obvious that the author(s) are fucking clueless and don’t have a fucking source or valid info about anything. For starters, someone explain to them the difference between a coin flip at 50% and 35% for Camar Wheaton. Because they think it’s the same thing. And even bothering to mention Lake McCree. May as well be Futuremaning Jaylen Waddle simply by including him in that article. Congrats OB, on managing to scrape beneath a bar of expectations that was already ground level. Especially for a fat fuck like Ketchum. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 5

I went through and logged the new follows for the coaching staff on IT, but it's not an easy copy/paste. The highlights are 

- Hand, Ash, Coleman, Giles, and Hutzler are all really active in following recruits

- Herman is a little more active than I remember him being in the past. He and Carrington have similar follows

- Drayton is by far the least active. I'm shocked

- Most of the staff are now following Jaydon Williams, Bryce Foster, Michael Jackson III, and JoJo Earle's dad

- They're following a ton of 2022s. Especially Ash

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Fud said:

I went through and logged the new follows for the coaching staff on IT, but it's not an easy copy/paste. The highlights are 

- Hand, Ash, Coleman, Giles, and Hutzler are all really active in following recruits

I bet Giles phone is absolutely covered in wing sauce at all times if he keeps hitting that follow button

17 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I’m not sure I’ve ever read an update that makes it more clearly obvious that the author(s) are fucking clueless and don’t have a fucking source or valid info about anything. For starters, someone explain to them the difference between a coin flip at 50% and 35% for Camar Wheaton. Because they think it’s the same thing. And even bothering to mention Lake McCree. May as well be Futuremaning Jaylen Waddle simply by including him in that article. Congrats OB, on managing to scrape beneath a bar of expectations that was already ground level. Especially for a fat fuck like Ketchum. 

They made a mistake in committing to being TH's town crier. While some of their team notes are better, most is obviously "what Tom wants you to believe". They continue to refute Tyler Owens to linebacker, are reporting this will be a small recruiting class, and the published spring depth chart is...not accurate.

27 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Me reading that part about Wheaton:

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

I’m not sure I’ve ever read an update that makes it more clearly obvious that the author(s) are fucking clueless and don’t have a fucking source or valid info about anything. For starters, someone explain to them the difference between a coin flip at 50% and 35% for Camar Wheaton. Because they think it’s the same thing.

th?id=OIP.WexTH0m6-OSKhc553SscYQHaGM%26p

3 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

OBs

Reveal hidden contents

These are all some variation of feeling too high given the text, or just straight up contradicting the text.

15 hours ago, NorLa Horns said:

Texas has already said kids are back for the fall session. 

You keep posting this, but that's not accurate. From KVUE yesterday: "Last week, UT told KVUE there were no plans to delay the fall semester, but it was continuing to monitor the situation with COVID-19." So they're basically saying, "fall semester will happen. PREPARE to come back to class, but we're gonna wait and see before we make the call".

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/local/university-texas-fall-2020-semester-announcement-coronavirus/269-3dea245c-5f0c-41b5-a142-2504a1a36442

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

You keep posting this, but that's not accurate. From KVUE yesterday: "Last week, UT told KVUE there were no plans to delay the fall semester, but it was continuing to monitor the situation with COVID-19." So they're basically saying, "fall semester will happen. PREPARE to come back to class, but we're gonna wait and see before we make the call".

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/local/university-texas-fall-2020-semester-announcement-coronavirus/269-3dea245c-5f0c-41b5-a142-2504a1a36442

Some professors think at this point, 80% chance classes will be online. Like other universities, they're saying these optimistic things so enrollment doesn't drop bc of deferred enrollment and gap years

2 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Nice to see we are identifying what we want at LB and going after.

Just think, if it wasn't for Strong and Orlando, we'd potentially be starting a Sr. Buddy Johnson and RS Soph. Dashaun White at LB this year.

With Kenneth Murray just graduated and Josh White backing them up *sobs*

• Like 2