Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

Mike at Night: Notes on several defensive targets

—It sounds like Texas is trending in the right direction for a few different prospects. I think one of those prospects is Kennedale safety JD Coffey. Coffey was close to pulling the trigger for Texas last summer but decided to hold off. During the staff change, Coffey felt that Texas may not be as serious towards him and wanted to explore other avenues. During that time, programs like Oregon and Washington were able to gain a foothold with Coffey. While Texas might not be the outright leader, Chris Ash has been working hard to reel him back in. Over the last few weeks, Texas was able to make some headway with Coffey over sharing their vision for him in their defense. I wouldn’t put them as the odds-on leader right now, but I think they are very much trending in the right direction.

—Count Austin LBJ safety Andrew Mukuba as another prospect Texas is making moves with. There was a perception around Mukuba’s camp that the offer from Texas came way too late, but I’ve been told Texas did a lot over the last two months to change that perception. There was some buzz surrounding Mukuba and Oklahoma shortly after the Sooners offered, but I was told this week that nobody is recruiting him harder than Texas right now. Of all the players on the board, Mukuba might be the one I’m closest to putting in a crystal ball pick for.

—When Texas offered Denton Guyer cornerback Deuce Harmon a few weeks ago, I stated that the Longhorns would need to do a ton of work. That is still true, but it sounds like the early returns are positive. Jay Valai and Chris Ash have been all in on this recruitment since the time they offered, and it seems to be helping a bit. Texas is still behind in this recruitment, but the good news is that Harmon is listening. Had the shutdown not happened, it’s likely that Harmon would already be committed to a school, but the quarantine allowed Texas to play a little catch up. I’m supposed to connect with a good source later this week to get a strong read on where things are with Deuce.

—South Oak Cliff linebacker Jaydon Williams announced his Top 6 today ahead of his May 1 decision. After speaking with sources near Williams, it sounds like this will probably come down to Texas and Arizona State. The Longhorns are the dream school, but Arizona State has been recruiting Williams for a while even though they just recently offered. Sources in Dallas and Austin are confident in Texas winning out, but I was told that Arizona State will be a tough opponent and Kansas could be the darkhorse.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Yeah didn't IT just say Texas is way behind?  $9.95 battle.

Humidor

Spoiler

About safety, the scuttle around Kennedale’s JD Coffey and Austin LBJ’s Andrew Mukuba is warming up. Coffey and Ash are getting closer, but there’s still work to be done here from both sides. Coffey won’t go to a school unless he feels like a priority, which of course is smart.

Texas still has work to do on Mukuba. He’s being prioritized by head coaches like Lincoln Riley and Dabo Swinney. He’s had extensive contact with each of late. We think there’s a path for Texas to land him, and UT holds some home field advantages, but it won’t be easy.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Yeah didn't IT just say Texas is way behind?  $9.95 battle.

No, that's just what you took away from their nebeluous writing. Texas is close now?must have put in that work. He commits to Oklahoma? Riley was just too far ahead. 

That's $9.95 please

50 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

And wtf does TCU even have for a QB to get him the ball?

Think it goes without saying that A) Malcolm Kelly will continue to rob us blind on the recruiting trail until we do some real winning, and B) we still haven't fully optimized DFW recruiting.

spacer.png

Edited by satyanash

In about a 4 month span a team that didn't even make a bowl game will have flipped one of our highest rated commits, kept a kid from taking an OV the last week to us, and is now going to beat us out for our #1 WR target.

With Knox trending to the Pirate and Davis being a complete wtf type of recruitment, WR recruiting is looking like a dud.

33 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

In about a 4 month span a team that didn't even make a bowl game will have flipped one of our highest rated commits, kept a kid from taking an OV the last week to us, and is now going to beat us out for our #1 WR target.

With Knox trending to the Pirate and Davis being a complete wtf type of recruitment, WR recruiting is looking like a dud.

Sorry -- this Covid-19 down time is making me forget stuff.

Who are:

1. The flipped committed recruit?
  2. Kid who didn't OV?
  3. Guessing the #1 WR target is JoJo?

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

Think it goes without saying that A) Malcolm Kelly will continue to rob us blind on the recruiting trail until we do some real winning, and B) we still haven't fully optimized DFW recruiting.

spacer.png

Would be nice to have Samples. Andre Coleman, what is you doing?

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Well when you put it like that...tough to take for sure. I just gotta hope we find some magic in WR recruiting soon