Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

1 hour ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

I'm just sort of catching up over the last couple of weeks of recruiting but I'm beginning to think that we're going to have a monster defensive class.

The one spot I'm worried about is CB. Last class left less room for error. Interested to see how Valai does.

1 hour ago, BornOrange said:

Beatty has a reputation for being a good recruiter, specifically in the Dallas area.

His experience

• high school head coach in the Dallas area
  • college coach for over 10 years
  • recruiting coordinator 
  • college head coach

Nothing against Samples because it seems he may have a good future, but Beatty would be a better hire.

Strong disagree. His resume’s not that impressive. He coached at Rice, Kansas, and A&M as a position coach and then Kansas reached hard for him as a HC, and he was an abject failure there. He doesn’t have some proven history of being a good coach. 
He also has a reputation of being a dick, like Herman, and his Dallas recruiting rep is overblown. He had a lot of success recruiting coming off Manziel’s Heisman, but just about anyone would have had success in that scenario when combined with the cash aggy was throwing around. Other than that short stint, he doesn’t have a long track record of being a lights out recruiter or great position coach. I’d take Samples over him easily. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, BornOrange said:

Beatty has a reputation for being a good recruiter, specifically in the Dallas area. His experience

It's Beaty...

https://247sports.com/Coach/David-Beaty-681/

45 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Strong disagree. His resume’s not that impressive. He coached at Rice, Kansas, and A&M as a position coach and then Kansas reached hard for him as a HC, and he was an abject failure there. He doesn’t have some proven history of being a good coach. 
He also has a reputation of being a dick, like Herman, and his Dallas recruiting rep is overblown. He had a lot of success recruiting coming off Manziel’s Heisman, but just about anyone would have had success in that scenario when combined with the cash aggy was throwing around. Other than that short stint, he doesn’t have a long track record of being a lights out recruiter or great position coach. I’d take Samples over him easily. 

Agree with Burt on this!!  Hope CDC stays away from hiring David Beaty...

Edited by LTtxfan

46 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

It's Beaty...

https://247sports.com/Coach/David-Beaty-681/

Agree with Burt on this!!  Hope CDC stays away from hiring David Beaty...

siap,  15 April AAS article.

Texas coach Tom Herman wanted to hire his friend and former Kansas coach David Beaty for a low-level analyst job with the Longhorns before Beaty’s former athletic director cautioned UT against it.

The details of the job offer were made public in court filings and first reported by the Kansas City Star. Beaty is suing Kansas Athletics, Inc., for $3 million in a wrongful termination suit.

According to the Star, Beaty testified in February that he had been offered a job at UT, moved to Austin and had even received a UT staff identification number.

It’s become commonplace around the country for head coaches to hire analysts, people who examine game film, prepare scouting reports for the full-time coaches and do self-scouting on their employer. Most times, these positions are filled by coaches who are between jobs. At UT, an analyst makes about $25,000.

Before Beaty started work, Texas athletic director Chris Del Conte called his Kansas counterpart Jeff Long as a courtesy, according to The Star.

“Jeff stated at that point … ‘I wouldn’t do that if I was you. His behavior is egregious,’” Beaty testified. “‘It was definitely Level I.’ And that … I think it made Mr. Del Conte take pause.”

A Level I infraction is considered the most serious by the NCAA. Beaty was later accused of a less serious Level II infraction, which was self-reported to the NCAA by Kansas.

Ultimately, Texas did not hire Beaty. “I have no comment on that issue,” Del Conte told the American-Statesman on Wednesday.

The university typically does background checks on all incoming hires. Historically, UT officials have steered clear of anyone under any possible NCAA cloud. Former football coach Charlie Strong had to fire one of his assistants the same day UT learned NCAA investigators were looking into his actions at a previous school.

Beaty, Long and Kansas athletics are now entangled in a long-running legal battle over whether the school should pay the balance of his contract. Beaty was 6-42 in four seasons at Kansas from 2015-18.

https://www.hookem.com/2020/04/15/report-kansas-ad-cautioned-texas-hiring-former-football-coach-david-beaty/

26 minutes ago, torre said:

siap,  15 April AAS article.

Texas coach Tom Herman wanted to hire his friend and former Kansas coach David Beaty for a low-level analyst job with the Longhorns before Beaty’s former athletic director cautioned UT against it.

The details of the job offer were made public in court filings and first reported by the Kansas City Star. Beaty is suing Kansas Athletics, Inc., for $3 million in a wrongful termination suit.

According to the Star, Beaty testified in February that he had been offered a job at UT, moved to Austin and had even received a UT staff identification number.

It’s become commonplace around the country for head coaches to hire analysts, people who examine game film, prepare scouting reports for the full-time coaches and do self-scouting on their employer. Most times, these positions are filled by coaches who are between jobs. At UT, an analyst makes about $25,000.

Before Beaty started work, Texas athletic director Chris Del Conte called his Kansas counterpart Jeff Long as a courtesy, according to The Star.

“Jeff stated at that point … ‘I wouldn’t do that if I was you. His behavior is egregious,’” Beaty testified. “‘It was definitely Level I.’ And that … I think it made Mr. Del Conte take pause.”

A Level I infraction is considered the most serious by the NCAA. Beaty was later accused of a less serious Level II infraction, which was self-reported to the NCAA by Kansas.

Ultimately, Texas did not hire Beaty. “I have no comment on that issue,” Del Conte told the American-Statesman on Wednesday.

The university typically does background checks on all incoming hires. Historically, UT officials have steered clear of anyone under any possible NCAA cloud. Former football coach Charlie Strong had to fire one of his assistants the same day UT learned NCAA investigators were looking into his actions at a previous school.

Beaty, Long and Kansas athletics are now entangled in a long-running legal battle over whether the school should pay the balance of his contract. Beaty was 6-42 in four seasons at Kansas from 2015-18.

https://www.hookem.com/2020/04/15/report-kansas-ad-cautioned-texas-hiring-former-football-coach-david-beaty/

Holy shit that is some gumption considering what Self has done while at Kansas.

• Like 1

I thought it was wrong to give negative feedback on former employees as it can open you up to lawsuits. Unless I am used as a reference and I have positive things to say, I won't give any information other than confirmation of past employment dates.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Bevo said:

If you follow the link you quoted, his tape looks pretty good.

11 minutes ago, Bevo said:

If you follow the link you quoted, his highlights look pretty solid.

13 hour gap for a double post?  is that a record?

edit ah well nevermind, not the same post.  did you forget your first post?

Edited by futureman

1 hour ago, futureman said:

13 hour gap for a double post?  is that a record?

edit ah well nevermind, not the same post.  did you forget your first post?

Great question. I thought I posted it yesterday, but I didn't see it today. So, I figured that I forgot to hit Submit yesterday. Now I'm curious whether the original post actually disappeared and reappeared or if I just missed it somehow.

3 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

All these OOS offers seem like pipe dreams with no visits these days.  Maybe we end up with a couple in the end.

Probably, but it is worth trying (except Arden Walker's highlights were pretty meh despite being first team all-state).

On 4/17/2020 at 12:13 PM, texifornia said:

"This kid is all about academics. Loves school. Has a 4.0. Parents stress school comes first. Texas is behind OU and Clemson in this recruitment."

Every. Single. Year.

general academic question but I thought Clemson was closer to above average than they were to OU or Auburn, am I wrong here?

On 4/17/2020 at 3:14 PM, Ricky's one-hitter said:

There are only a few ways this could play out:

1. Hagen sucks, Giles proves he can coach 25 kids at once, shitcan Hagen and add a receivers coach (or the inverse, same result)
  2. Boulware sucks, give ST to Hutzler and hire Samples for TEs with Yurcich helping coach
  3. Coleman sucks, straight swap.

The most realistic is probably 2, but I don't think Boulware will suck, so...wild card option!

1. Fire both Hagen and Giles, hire Dan Quinn/Rod Marinelli/George Edwards/Matt Patricia type and allocate the extra coach to WR.

All options feel unlikely. 

the odds of an NFL head coach (Quinn or Patricia) going to be a college position coach is quite low

the odds of Rod fucking Marinelli going to college is literally zero

On 4/18/2020 at 5:59 AM, NorLa Horns said:

On reflection. While wishing for Samples back is nice. And I do think the whole Drayton/Boulware thing is a set up for Deaytons exit. I realized this isn't set up for Samples.

It's set up for Beaty, when he gets his shit straight at Kansas( those are some sorry fucks, huh?)

Y'all know Tom. He hasn't forgot about his boy. Or stopped wanting to hire his boys. 

to be fair, i thought Beaty was seen as both a great recruiter and a good developer - vs Samples who is showing to be a great recruiter and hasn't ever been a position coach before...

On 4/19/2020 at 9:54 AM, Bevo said:

I thought it was wrong to give negative feedback on former employees as it can open you up to lawsuits. Unless I am used as a reference and I have positive things to say, I won't give any information other than confirmation of past employment dates.

I believe that depends on the state in question. Texas is a right to work state, but the guy giving the feedback was in Kansas. Honestly not sure how it shakes out, or what Kansas is, but I don't think it's cut and dry what you can or cannot say depending on the state. 

Also, for the record, Beaty is overrated trash. Burt detailed many of the reasons why, above. His reputation is smoke and mirrors and lucky timing. I'd take Samples over him without question.

People talk about rain making recruiters all the time, and most staffs have one guy who is a mediocre coach who recruits like a motherfucker. Guess what, that can be samples. Do I think we should be able to do better than him at Texas? Yes. But Tom Herman is a prick to work for, and he hasn't stabilized our program or himself, so it's a tough sell for the best of the best to want to coach for that condescending shit. Samples would, however. And yeah, there's no room to criticize his coaching chops at this point considering previous hires at WR were Meekins and Mehringer, and he passed on other recruiting studs to promote Andre Coleman full time (when he could have done it mid-season and still retained Quentin Johnson). And I'm not anti-Coleman, but he'd better live up to the reputation the existing players give him as a witch position coach, because he's an average recruiter historically and so far. Look at what Samples did at Texas and what he's done currently at SMU. He's getting guys we want. At least he brings something to the table. That's more than we can say for many other Tom Herman hires. Jesus, some people on this thread have advocated and questioned why we don't bring on Bryan Carrington as a 10th assistant so he can hit the road recruiting full time, but others spit the bit at Samples because he's only had less than a year as a position coach? Shit, at least he played a position. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Should take Knox and Earle IMO.

Disagree. Give me Earle, Ketron Jackson, and whichever of Quay or Hal Presley. Maybe we can snag Pazon one of the Louisiana kids that LSU doesn't take. 

I like Knox but nothing about him is really rare. 

Edited by Ricky's one-hitter

25 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Losing Knox to Mississippi State would be a big kick to the fucking dick. And I'm looking squarely at you, Andre Coleman. Somehow there's not a ton of great WRs in Texas, or at least ones interested in us. And that's bad. 

Texas WR rankings using composite, in case folks were not aware of how true it looks like this is right now

• *JoJo Earle - 10 has Texas offer
  • Shadrach Banks - 12 (A&M) has Texas offer
  • Cody Jackson - 15 (OU) has Texas offer
  • *?Quay Davis - 18 (who even knows) has Texas offer
  • J Michael Sturdivant - 27
  • *Theodore Knox- 29 (100% CBs to MSU) has Texas offer
  • *Ketron Jackson - 30 has Texas offer
  • Bryson Green - 40 has Texas offer
  • Latrell Neville - 45 (Va Tech) has Texas offer
  • Jerand Bradley - 46 (TTU)
  • Blaine Green - 50 has Texas offer
  • Dylan Goffney - 59
  • *Hal Presley - 63 has Texas offer
  • Elijah Bean - 70
  • Rodrick Daniels - 88 (100% CB to SMU)
  • Cameron Bonner - 89 (100% CB to Baylor)
  • Brady boyd - 90 (Minnesota)
  • Javon Gipson - 95 (Baylor)
  • Jimmy Valsin  97

Guys off the top of my head that Texas is "in" on/interested in are noted with a star

Edited by NoName

5 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Disagree. Give me Earle, Ketron Jackson, and whichever of Quay or Hal Presley. Maybe we can snag Pazon. 

I like Knox but nothing about him is really rare. 

Didn't he recently post some track times that suggest he has legit (perhaps rare) speed? And yes I realize track speed doesn't always translate to football speed, but if the time is low enough it does

2 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

Didn't he recently post some track times that suggest he has legit (perhaps rare) speed? And yes I realize track speed doesn't always translate to football speed, but if the time is low enough it does

per this article: https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/Texas-recruiting-20-fastest-recruits-in-2021-class-Theodore-Knox-Camar-Wheaton-LJ-Johnson-145579158/

THEODORE KNOX, WR

Verified Numbers: 10.40 seconds in the 100 meters, 21.03 in the 200 meters, 4.42 in the 40
247Sports Ranking: Four-star, No. 164 overall, No. 27 WR, No. 28 in Texas
The Skinny: Theodore Knox did not get a chance to throw any new track times on his resume this season, which would have been his first track and field campaign in Texas after moving last offseason from Baton Rouge to The Woodlands in the Houston area. As a sophomore in 2019, he recorded those blistering times of 10.40 seconds in the 100 and 21.03 in the 200 to win district championships in both events. Knox ran a 10.72 and a 21.69 in the 100 and 200, respectively, to win silver medals in both events at the 2019 Louisiana 1A-2A track and field championships. Additionally, he recorded a verified 4.42-second 40-yard dash in March 2019 at The Opening New Orleans regional camp. The 5-foot-10, 167-pound Knox owns almost 20 offers, including schools such as Alabama, Baylor, Mississippi State, and Texas, among about a dozen others. Knox plans to make a decision by some point in June.

then from LJ Johnson's blurb

LJ Johnson's 4.42-second 40-yard dash time from The Opening Houston regional camp in March 2019 ties Theodore Knox for the fastest verified 40 time in the Lone Star State's 2021 recruiting class

IT Scoop - Nahlin/Wells

Spoiler

This week's Scoop dives into in-state offensive linemen, interviews with Jaydon Williams, Greg Brown III, and Bear Alexander, and news/notes on recent offers at defensive line and cornerback. Grab a slice.

I was working on 2021 rankings and asked a good college contact for insight on some offensive lineman I was mulling over. I have a good handle on the Brockermeyers and Savion Byrd so they were excluded.

This is based on what they’ll look like in three years. I found it interesting and somewhat confirmatory.

Reuben Fatheree - Richmond Foster
Hayden Conner - Katy Taylor
Matthew Wykoff - Magnolia
Bryce Foster - Katy Taylor
Jack Leyrer - Highland Park

I’ve been higher on Fatheree than most. My source said, “he can be a Mekhi Becton if he wants it and stops playing hoops. It’ll come down to mental makeup but there’s a home run factor.”

Before he sent his order of players, I mentioned the quickness Foster shows in the throwing ring doesn’t quite show up on tape.

Leyrer’s a promising prospect but needs more experience. My source says he should go to a school where he’ll get all the attention and develop.

The source also mentioned Erick Cade, “tape is decent but he’s fallen off the map.” Indeed, I reached out to the mammoth Denton Braswell tackle a while back and never heard back.

As for recruiting:

I think Fatheree is LSU’s to lose at this point but he’s still pretty open. UT is still recruiting him.

Conner is committed to UT.

Wykoff is liking out-of-state schools. Despite holding offers, I’m not sure he feels like the in-state schools are recruiting him hard enough.

Foster is liking OU at this point but I think that recruitment has a ways to go.

Leyrer is just getting started. He picked up Stanford this weekend. I’d build a relationship with him now in case they need to offer down the road. Not being able to camp this summer will probably hurt him with offers. Traits are there, he just needs to get more consistent.

DL CONTINGENCIES

Despite being in good position to sign a tremendous defensive line haul, the staff is casting a nationwide net at the position. I caught up with two recent offers.

Arden Walker, Cherry Creek (Englewood, CO): Some interesting stuff here. He’s been in contact with Oscar Giles since the beginning of December and Texas was going to be his next visit before the 'Rona put everything on hold. Before the virus set in he visited Colorado, Texas A&M, USC, and Oklahoma. His father, Arthur, is from Houston and played at Colorado. Schools of interest don’t match his .84 rating. Walker says with unofficial visits being up in the air he’s starting to think more about official visits. He’s going to sit down with his family soon to discuss those visits. If Texas pushed for an official visit I think they can get one. He seems genuinely interested. Seems like a real solid kid, too.

Keanu Koht, Vero Beach (Vero Beach, FL): He wants to visit Texas as soon as things normalize. He had to postpone official visits to LSU and Auburn already. He also wants to take official visits to Florida and Georgia. Along with Texas and the other schools mentioned, he said he’d like to visit A&M. He’s an early enrollee.

The biggest thing to me is Texas is wisely playing the long game. Things can change very quickly in recruiting and you better have contingencies lined up.

I feel strongly Texas will land one of Shemar Turner or Marcus Burris, but Walker fills the same need for a grow 'em defensive tackle.

I really like UT’s chances with Clayton Smith, but if they miss, Koht would be a great target.

JAYDON WILLIAMS

I caught up with the 2021 linebacker offer from South Oak Cliff. He’s raw but possess tons of upside for the position. In the modern game, you don’t want blocky thumpers. You want guys who can legitimately run and cover while also playing downhill.

Williams is a man of few words, but those words gave me enough confidence to immediately predict he’ll end up at Texas.

What have you been doing during this period of isolation:
“I’ve been running, doing private workouts and lifting. I have weights at the house.”

Played wide receiver but moved to defense during his junior year:
“I can play anything, that’s why. It doesn’t matter to me. I can play off the edge, in the middle, I can cover, it doesn’t matter.”

Visits he’s taken so far:
”I’ve been to OU and A&M, but no offer. A&M said they’ll keep in touch. OU says they want to see if I can play safety.”

How long have you been talking to UT?
”Been talking to Texas about two weeks now. Texas is my dream school.”

Oh really?
”Being from Dallas, I grew up a Texas fan. It have Texas socks, Texas jackets. It’s a dream come true.”

Is this a situation where you might commit before taking more visits?
”I want to visit Arizona State, SMU, Kansas, and Mississippi State, but I might commit soon.”

[Interview was conducted prior to Williams announcing he’ll make his commitment on May 1st]

Things seem pretty promising. Here’s some more background from a coach at South Oak Cliff:

“Started out at Rowlett, folks are originally from SOC area and wanted him with more hands-on type people. Athlete that can play anything. He was at WR, our offense was bad and he wasn’t contributing. Exceptional on kickoff, made us move him to defense. DE was the easiest during the season to transition. Became our pass rush kid (we didn’t have one) and pursuit/play speed was high level. Going to prep him then move him to OLB during the season when we get into the district games.”

We’ll go into a bit more detail in the Humidor about how the 6-foot-2, 195-pounder fits what Coleman Hutzler is looking for.

MARQUIS GROVES-KILLEBREW

Texas had some success in 2019 cycle when they four-star corner Kenyatta Watson II from Grayson High School in Loganville, GA. No reason not to go back for another slice.

The Horns staff offered junior Groves-Killebrew last week and instantly became a favorite. The 6-foot-0, 180-pound four-star holds 25 offers already including Georgia, Auburn, LSU, Florida, and Texas A&M. The in-state Bulldogs have started pushing for the talented defensive back, but he might want to journey farther from home.

While he's in the middle of SEC country, he's willing to leave the comforts of home. Austin definitely is on the agenda.

This kid has the tools. He's aggressive, has great body control, and will mix it up in the run game. While the in-state crop of corners is salty for 2022, Groves-Killebrew is a name to remember. He wants a school where he can flourish on and off the field, and has heard great things about UT. You can guess from where.

3 hours ago, NoName said:

general academic question but I thought Clemson was closer to above average than they were to OU or Auburn, am I wrong here?

Far from a true answer (especially for undergrad) but USNWR:

Texas: #48

Clemson: #70

Oklahoma: #132

Honestly, I'm surprised Clemson's that high. I have a couple Gamecock grads (SoCar: #104) as friends that always had me thinking of it as a cow school.

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, NoName said:

Damn. Did not realize LJ Johnson ran a 4.42.  I already had him higher than Wheaton, but if that time is even close to accurate, then there's a pretty big gap between the two IMO.

17 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

IT Scoop - Nahlin/Wells

Hide contents

This week's Scoop dives into in-state offensive linemen, interviews with Jaydon Williams, Greg Brown III, and Bear Alexander, and news/notes on recent offers at defensive line and cornerback. Grab a slice.

I was working on 2021 rankings and asked a good college contact for insight on some offensive lineman I was mulling over. I have a good handle on the Brockermeyers and Savion Byrd so they were excluded.

This is based on what they’ll look like in three years. I found it interesting and somewhat confirmatory.

I’ve been higher on Fatheree than most. My source said, “he can be a Mekhi Becton if he wants it and stops playing hoops. It’ll come down to mental makeup but there’s a home run factor.”

Before he sent his order of players, I mentioned the quickness Foster shows in the throwing ring doesn’t quite show up on tape.

Leyrer’s a promising prospect but needs more experience. My source says he should go to a school where he’ll get all the attention and develop.

The source also mentioned Erick Cade, “tape is decent but he’s fallen off the map.” Indeed, I reached out to the mammoth Denton Braswell tackle a while back and never heard back.

As for recruiting:

I think Fatheree is LSU’s to lose at this point but he’s still pretty open. UT is still recruiting him.

Wykoff is liking out-of-state schools. Despite holding offers, I’m not sure he feels like the in-state schools are recruiting him hard enough.

Foster is liking OU at this point but I think that recruitment has a ways to go.

Leyrer is just getting started. He picked up Stanford this weekend. I’d build a relationship with him now in case they need to offer down the road. Not being able to camp this summer will probably hurt him with offers. Traits are there, he just needs to get more consistent.

DL CONTINGENCIES

Despite being in good position to sign a tremendous defensive line haul, the staff is casting a nationwide net at the position. I caught up with two recent offers.

Arden Walker, Cherry Creek (Englewood, CO): Some interesting stuff here. He’s been in contact with Oscar Giles since the beginning of December and Texas was going to be his next visit before the 'Rona put everything on hold. Before the virus set in he visited Colorado, Texas A&M, USC, and Oklahoma. His father, Arthur, is from Houston and played at Colorado. Schools of interest don’t match his .84 rating. Walker says with unofficial visits being up in the air he’s starting to think more about official visits. He’s going to sit down with his family soon to discuss those visits. If Texas pushed for an official visit I think they can get one. He seems genuinely interested. Seems like a real solid kid, too.

Keanu Koht, Vero Beach (Vero Beach, FL): He wants to visit Texas as soon as things normalize. He had to postpone official visits to LSU and Auburn already. He also wants to take official visits to Florida and Georgia. Along with Texas and the other schools mentioned, he said he’d like to visit A&M. He’s an early enrollee.

The biggest thing to me is Texas is wisely playing the long game. Things can change very quickly in recruiting and you better have contingencies lined up.

I feel strongly Texas will land one of Shemar Turner or Marcus Burris, but Walker fills the same need for a grow 'em defensive tackle.

I really like UT’s chances with Clayton Smith, but if they miss, Koht would be a great target.

JAYDON WILLIAMS

I caught up with the 2021 linebacker offer from South Oak Cliff. He’s raw but possess tons of upside for the position. In the modern game, you don’t want blocky thumpers. You want guys who can legitimately run and cover while also playing downhill.

Williams is a man of few words, but those words gave me enough confidence to immediately predict he’ll end up at Texas.

“I’ve been running, doing private workouts and lifting. I have weights at the house.”

“I can play anything, that’s why. It doesn’t matter to me. I can play off the edge, in the middle, I can cover, it doesn’t matter.”

”I’ve been to OU and A&M, but no offer. A&M said they’ll keep in touch. OU says they want to see if I can play safety.”

Oh really?
”Being from Dallas, I grew up a Texas fan. It have Texas socks, Texas jackets. It’s a dream come true.”

”I want to visit Arizona State, SMU, Kansas, and Mississippi State, but I might commit soon.”

[Interview was conducted prior to Williams announcing he’ll make his commitment on May 1st]

Things seem pretty promising. Here’s some more background from a coach at South Oak Cliff:

“Started out at Rowlett, folks are originally from SOC area and wanted him with more hands-on type people. Athlete that can play anything. He was at WR, our offense was bad and he wasn’t contributing. Exceptional on kickoff, made us move him to defense. DE was the easiest during the season to transition. Became our pass rush kid (we didn’t have one) and pursuit/play speed was high level. Going to prep him then move him to OLB during the season when we get into the district games.”

We’ll go into a bit more detail in the Humidor about how the 6-foot-2, 195-pounder fits what Coleman Hutzler is looking for.

MARQUIS GROVES-KILLEBREW

Texas had some success in 2019 cycle when they four-star corner Kenyatta Watson II from Grayson High School in Loganville, GA. No reason not to go back for another slice.

The Horns staff offered junior Groves-Killebrew last week and instantly became a favorite. The 6-foot-0, 180-pound four-star holds 25 offers already including Georgia, Auburn, LSU, Florida, and Texas A&M. The in-state Bulldogs have started pushing for the talented defensive back, but he might want to journey farther from home.

While he's in the middle of SEC country, he's willing to leave the comforts of home. Austin definitely is on the agenda.

This kid has the tools. He's aggressive, has great body control, and will mix it up in the run game. While the in-state crop of corners is salty for 2022, Groves-Killebrew is a name to remember. He wants a school where he can flourish on and off the field, and has heard great things about UT. You can guess from where.

lulz at the idea of having Fatheree first in that group and comparing him to Makhi Becton.  For every massive guy that develops the strength and functional athleticism to become a Mekhi Becton, there's about 999 other guys like him who turn into total busts. Put me in the camp that says Fatheree's part of the 999.  Also, Becton measured in at 6'7 at the Combine. Fatheree's already pushing 6'9 and growing.  There's an extremely short list of OTs at 6'9 or up that have had any success at all. The amount of functional strength and athleticism he will have to gain in order to become good at his height is pretty daunting, and it's unlikely, especially considering how high he currently plays and how stiff he looks when protecting the edge, that he can get there. He's a decent lottery ticket because he is very athletic for his size, but his bust rate is very high IMO. 

Leyrer will be an interesting guy to watch. We have a reasonable shot with so many good OL this cycle, there's no excuse to not reel in a good class, even if, God forbid, the Brocks go elsewhere. 

27 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

IT Scoop - Nahlin/Wells

Reveal hidden contents

As for recruiting:

DL CONTINGENCIES

JAYDON WILLIAMS

Oh really?

MARQUIS GROVES-KILLEBREW

Yeah what did happen to Erick Cade? UT offered during his sophomore year. 

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Losing Knox to Mississippi State would be a big kick to the fucking dick. And I'm looking squarely at you, Andre Coleman. Somehow there's not a ton of great WRs in Texas, or at least ones interested in us. And that's bad. 

Knox's roots are sec. Most sec fb players are not playing school. One of aggies selling points is the fact that you do not have to ever attend a class if you do not want to, you can spend all of your time in the fb building and never worry about a professor or sitting in front row while coaches are checking on you...Plus WR's & QB's are the stars of a Leach offense.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Damn. Did not realize LJ Johnson ran a 4.42.  I already had him higher than Wheaton, but if that time is even close to accurate, then there's a pretty big gap between the two IMO.

LJ is an absolute beast. Drayton not being a rainmaker might help us this year, the spring evals/camp diamonds in the rough could remain undiscovered through the fall and give us a time to recruit before they commit.