2021-2022 Winter weather thread for non-Texans

Parliament

Yeah, I'm relatively seasoned with tornadoes.  I've never had my home take a direct hit, but I know enough people who have, and I've assisted in clean up efforts, and have also been up close chasing an F3 - not in a professional sense, but with some buddies following it from less than a mile away watching it hit farmsteads and grain bins.  I've seen 4-5 total, with said F3 being the most severe.

Of course, this all happened in May-July, where you weren't going to be exposed to below freezing temps on the back side of the storm.  I guess on the plus side, if we lose power I won't have to worry about all the meat in my freezer thawing.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Good luck Al. I’m in the edge of the lightest green. The maps I’ve seen for my area are crazy…ND gets dark blue snow while MN gets thunderstorms. So I’m in the pink mixed bullshit.

The worst will be the brutal cold that’ll follow for a few days. Hope the power can hold up for you.

A local meteorologist I follow on FB is usually the “don’t believe the weather terrorist, it’ll be bad but not doomsday”!type..says this shit is about to get real

c205e5d4a999020133a07a07fc5b0dd8.jpg

Tom Szymanski is not prone to hyperbole.  Shit's gonn get real, yo.

6 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

So this shit is obviously pretty foreign to those in the great north.

Are tornados more dangerous if you’re going from 60-70 degrees down to the 20s vs what we normally see in the summer which is upper 80s to the 60s? Is that why the one traveled 200 miles last week?

If you hear a train and it gets really dark, hunker down in the safest place you can with no glass.

This storm is hauling ass today. Blew through in about 15 minutes. The grade of my home helped with the 90+ straight line winds. My Aunt and uncle 75 miles west and folks 55 miles south both had some tree damage but nothing major, but for the same cell to catch us all is wild. It smelled like an April day this morning so you knee is was going to be nuts. 

• Like 1

A line of storms just blew through here in central Kansas. We have tree limbs down all over town and some power outages. I don't have a clue how strong the winds were but it was stronger than anything I have seen that wasn't a tornado. Wife says we have some shingles laying in the backyard so I'll get the insurance guy out. Lucky that it was nothing like KY, AR and IL saw. You Iowa folks better keep your head on a swivel. Good Luck

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

When Texas was getting walloped by freezes, so was Portland. The whole time my family in Denton County never lost power, but here in Portland 1000s were without, and the fiancee and were two of them. We lost power for a week. 

Interesting.  Have never lost power here.

5 minutes ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

A line of storms just blew through here in central Kansas. We have tree limbs down all over town and some power outages. I don't have a clue how strong the winds were but it was stronger than anything I have seen that wasn't a tornado. Wife says we have some shingles laying in the backyard so I'll get the insurance guy out. Lucky that it was nothing like KY, AR and IL saw. You Iowa folks better keep your head on a swivel. Good Luck

This is probably going to like an ice storm levels of power outages across Nebraska and Kansas and it’s going to be widespread that it’ll be hard to share crews. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

I probably should have said Portland, but damn was I sour about the whole ordeal.

https://katu.com/news/local/snow-ice-causes-thousands-to-lose-power-in-portland-willamette-valley

That would suck, for sure.

After I posted this I went to pick up my son from Middle School.  Two wrecks within a block from each other.  It has been snowing all day.  I thought these folks were supposed to know how to drive in this stuff?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

That would suck, for sure.

After I posted this I went to pick up my son from Middle School.  Two wrecks within a block from each other.  It has been snowing all day.  I thought these folks were supposed to know how to drive in this stuff?

They don't know how to drive in the rain.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Tornadoes all over western half of Iowa. No damage reports yet. Just sitting here waiting to see if it will run out of steam before it reaches the Driftless Area or not.

Good luck Al. We were pretty lucky. I lost a double garage window and maybe a third of the shingles on the west side of my house. Got off pretty light considering the power of that storm. I’ll be out in the morning helping clean up in town. They got hit much harder. 

• Like 1

60's today in Chicago.  Was in a short sleeve polo heading to meetings this morning.  Of course windy as all hell.  Reminded me of my time in Oklahoma...in March/April.  Also boo, nobody wants to remember that place. 

Hope you guys in harm's way tonight have a good spot to shelter.  Bad feeling about how this is setting up to hit at night...

The latest tornado in Minnesota was confirmed 90 years ago, and Nov. 16th, not December 16th.  this is totally fucking normal.  Quit your bitching!  This shit happens all the time.  Caring about what's happening hear and now to your family and community is alarmism.  Don't fall for it.  by April, it'll disappear.  It'll be like a miracle, you'll see...

IT looks like a derecho now, but that would have to be determined by the NWS.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derecho

A derecho (/dəˈr/, from Spanish: derecho [deˈɾetʃo], "straight" as in direction) is a widespread, long-lived, straight-line wind storm that is associated with a fast-moving group of severe thunderstorms known as a mesoscale convective system.[1]

Derechos can cause hurricanic or tornadic-force winds, actual tornadoes, heavy rains, and flash floods. In many cases, convection-induced winds take on a bow echo (backward "C") form of squall line, often forming beneath an area of diverging upper tropospheric winds, and in a region of both rich low-level moisture and warm-air advection. Derechos move rapidly in the direction of movement of their associated storms, similar to an outflow boundary (gust front), except that the wind remains sustained for a greater period of time (often increasing in strength after onset), and may exceed hurricane-force. A derecho-producing convective system may remain active for many hours and, occasionally, over multiple days.

A warm-weather phenomenon, derechos occur mostly in summer, especially during June, July, and August in the Northern Hemisphere (or March, April, and May in the Southern Hemisphere), within areas of moderately strong instability and moderately strong vertical wind shear. However, derechos may occur at any time of the year, and can occur as frequently at night as during the day.

Various studies since the 1980s have shed light on the physical processes responsible for the production of widespread damaging winds by thunderstorms. In addition, it has become apparent that the most damaging derechos are associated with particular types of mesoscale convective systems that are self-perpetuating (meaning that the convective systems are not strongly dependent on the larger-scale meteorological processes such as those associated with blizzard-producing winter storms and strong cold fronts). In addition, the term "derecho" sometimes is misapplied to convectively generated wind events that are not particularly well-organized or long-lasting. For these reasons, a more precise, physically based definition of "derecho" has been introduced within the meteorological community.[2]

We were in a tornado warning at 7:15. There was allegedly one on the ground 11 miles SW of my town (Cresco) heading northeast. Must have just missed to the west. We’re without power. I’m sitting in my car driveway, with a beer, charging phones and listening to Sturgill on CD.

c9f99038b42c6aec48c65684e369e281.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

well we didn't experience any thunderstorms or rain, but we drove thru the wind portion of a 'derecho' today!

all total we saw 13 tipped over rigs, from CoSprings to Raton, including 2 travel trailers 😳

i mean it's not every day you're just driving down the road and you see a dozen tipped over vehicles!

20211215_120620.jpg

20211215_120820.jpg

20211215_120837.jpg

20211215_121515.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

We're still without power and no end in sight.  What's so frustrating is that it just depends on your provider, which you have absolutely 0 control over.

People in the country are on rural electric coops and they are fine.  Anyone in an incorporated town is on Alliant Energy, unless that town has municipal power.  Alliant has been out since 7:30 last night and in some places around here they're telling people it will be 10PM tonight.  I'm starting to even doubt that.  They quoted 10AM for my town, but so far nothing.

Here is my PSA for driving in the event we get winter weather - probably most applicable to Austin and Dallas. Part of why we have road chaos with snow and ice:

• 40% of drivers are Southerners scared shitless and drive 20 MPH on the highways
  • 60% of drivers are Yankees that think we have northern street clearing / salting capability and drive 60 MPH on the highways

So this happened in my town; 7 people, 4 adults and 3 kids-2 elementary aged and 1 HS aged-died this weekend in the same house. Early indications was carbon monoxide poison. I’m guessing it happened overnight Friday into Saturday since the kids were seen Friday.

Discovered on a welfare check since nobody was responding to messages. Make sure those outside vents are clear of built up ice or snow. Dangerous shit since you can’t tell if it’s there or not

8 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

So this happened in my town; 7 people, 4 adults and 3 kids-2 elementary aged and 1 HS aged-died this weekend in the same house. Early indications was carbon monoxide poison. I’m guessing it happened overnight Friday into Saturday since the kids were seen Friday.

Discovered on a welfare check since nobody was responding to messages. Make sure those outside vents are clear of built up ice or snow. Dangerous shit since you can’t tell if it’s there or not

That's awful, and a damn good reminder to keep vents open.

But I'm not sure it's going to snow here this year.  If it does, it's going to wait until the end of March to start just to fuck with us.

That's awful, and a damn good reminder to keep vents open.
But I'm not sure it's going to snow here this year.  If it does, it's going to wait until the end of March to start just to fuck with us.

Youre due. 30 inches!

I can’t complain so much so far…we’re maybe at 8-10 for the year. Can still see grass in areas. Decembers almost done, just Jan and Feb to go!

5 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Youre due. 30 inches!

I can’t complain so much so far…we’re maybe at 8-10 for the year. Can still see grass in areas. Decembers almost done, just Jan and Feb to go!

I like to ski and snowshoe, so I'm kind of actually ready for it.  It's been at least 3-4 years since we've had a white Xmas in northern Iowa.  Lately we seem to get that first "stick around" shot of snow between X mas and New Year's or just after NY.