2021-2022 Winter weather thread for non-Texans

Parliament

22 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Looks beautiful.  I assume that's somewhere in the northern Appalachians.  Adirondacks?  Whites?

It's the Whites, the center of the picture is just about dead Southeast. We're just across the Connecticut looking into New Hampshire. That patch of along the middle of the picture is Moore Reservoir, currently frozen (saw ice fishing the other day).

Here is a decoder map the old residents left, I plan on redoing this with a panorama and an app like Peak Visor, because this doesn't get all of the mountains you can see.

image.thumb.png.74f540a1209109f80ad66725d5fca1ff.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

It’s not moose cold, but it’s pretty fucking cold this AM. Most likely (hopefully) our coldest day of the year.

7a1e1ac8142d1faef52331bfe4e19078.jpg

You are colder than we are.  It's hovering around zero today.  We had a Chinook blow through and it's been above freezing the last couple of days.  The roads are now properly fucked. From 60 below at the first of the month to 42 above yesterday.  It's been a weird winter.

2 hours ago, Kennythetiger said:

How do you choose whose portraits get hung in the shitter?  

The shitter has actually evolved into a place of honor because so many people have never used an outhouse before they come out to the place.  When someone new comes out we ask them to bring some sort of tchotchke to put on the shelves or hang in the shitter.  The inside walls are covered with all kinds of stuff.  Funky outhouse decorations are actually a thing in Alaska. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, mooseoutfront said:

You are colder than we are.  It's hovering around zero today.  We had a Chinook blow through and it's been above freezing the last couple of days.  The roads are now properly fucked. From 60 below at the first of the month to 42 above yesterday.  It's been a weird winter.

We've had swings like that in terms of range between the high and low.  In 2018 we had -20 on New Year's day and hit 60 in late January.  We had -35 a couple years ago.  2019 I want to say.  Only a day or two, but that shit sucked.

It seems like the last few years we've had the weekly winter roller coaster.  Temps plunge below 0 for a couple days, come up to around freezing, plunge, rise, plunge, rise for most of January and February.  Usually there will be at least one big warm up that melts off all the snow we've had, and then the plunge down results in snow fall, and then the snow freezes when it bottoms out.  It's quite annoying.

Then you factor in the wind.  The wind in the northern plains states is nothing to scoff at.  It's relentless, and bitter.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

Snow in the forecast for this weekend. We're getting hit by a bomb cyclone. The models all agree where - everything from DC all the way up to Maine. What they don't agree on it snowfall totals. European models have the storm coming more inland with massive snow totals, US models show the storm further out with smaller snow totals.

5SQBQ6HFIFBVNJ6QIQMVLSBTB4.PNG&w=916

The key is what path does the front take up the coast.

Details were from yesterday, its sounding a lot more like "classic" or "Eastern" track than the Inside track.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2022/01/26/blizzard-noreaster-bomb-cyclone-northeast/

The models today will better predict what we get.

But likely we will get Slurpee waves and thunder snow.

Edited by Captain Ron

7 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

Snow in the forecast for this weekend. We're getting hit by a bomb cyclone. The models all agree where - everything from DC all the way up to Maine. What they don't agree on it snowfall totals. European models have the storm coming more inland with massive snow totals, US models show the storm further out with smaller snow totals.

5SQBQ6HFIFBVNJ6QIQMVLSBTB4.PNG&w=916

The key is what path does the front take up the coast.

Details were from yesterday, its sounding a lot more like "classic" or "Eastern" track than the Inside track.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2022/01/26/blizzard-noreaster-bomb-cyclone-northeast/

The models today will better predict what we get.

But likely we will get Slurpee waves and thunder snow.

I'm flying out of JFK on Friday night, so if this thing could slow it's roll a bit, that'd be greeeeeat.

We bitch about snow and cold, but those noreasters (and the lake effect snow as well) often drop as much snow in one damn storm as we get all winter.

I mean yea, 1-3 feet would suck. But their streets are usually melted off within a few days. I’ve been driving on icy snow packed residential streets since Christmas.

The one day we get some melting, it either blows snow over it creating blow ice or a clipper moves through that night

Last weekend of January…then just February left until I begin seeing the light. Could be a good morale lift for the troops knowing December and January are behind us

I mean yea, 1-3 feet would suck. But their streets are usually melted off within a few days. I’ve been driving on icy snow packed residential streets since Christmas.

The one day we get some melting, it either blows snow over it creating blow ice or a clipper moves through that night

Last weekend of January…then just February left until I begin seeing the light. Could be a good morale lift for the troops knowing December and January are behind us

Anymore February is our worst month. We barely get snow or severe cold in December nowadays.

But February is the turd in the punch bowl. February is when it’ll warm up into the 40’s only to have a massive blizzard/ice storm butt fuck us and then drop down to -20 in its wake.

Fuck February
  • Like 1

And this is deteriorating quickly. My flight out of Austin (which is coming from jfk and then turning back around) is already delayed 2 hours. 

Yeah, you may want to turn your attention to finding a nearby hotel with a well stocked bar.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

And this is deteriorating quickly. My flight out of Austin (which is coming from jfk and then turning back around) is already delayed 2 hours. 

It is. I’m on a commercial shoot in LA and everyone is watching their flights get cancelled one by one. I’m supposed to be back in NYC Saturday to get to Philly for a job Monday.
I might have to wait it out here and just fly to Philly Sunday. Problem is my clothes are packed for a Santa Monica job and not a Philly in January job.
  • Rage+1 1

13 minutes ago, nycHorn said:

It is. I’m on a commercial shoot in LA and everyone is watching their flights get cancelled one by one. I’m supposed to be back in NYC Saturday to get to Philly for a job Monday.
I might have to wait it out here and just fly to Philly Sunday. Problem is my clothes are packed for a Santa Monica job and not a Philly in January job.

Your future.

giphy.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, nycHorn said:

It’s a total shitshow. It better be fucking buried in snow. Although the idea of 30mph winds with 60mph gusts don’t sound fun to try to land a plane in.

Yeah.  Flights are cancelled for a reason.  They don't want to do it either.  I overheard the pilots getting off the flight from JFK (the one I was waiting to get on that got cancelled right after they landed in Austin) that they were on the runway in JFK this morning for 2 hours due to ice and they had never experienced anything like that.

I'm currently at home drinking and on hold with Qatar Airways trying to reschedule my Maldives flight.  According to the interwebs, our original 9:30pm flight out of JFK is still happening, but watching it on flightaware says they have been sitting on the tarmac for an hour.  Just cancel that shit.