2021-2022 Winter weather thread for non-Texans

Parliament

42 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I'm going to Tulsa this weekend to visit my cousin and go to a concert at Cain's.  Figured it would be a break from our winter clutches.

Nope.  They're looking at 9-10" of snow Wednesday into Thursday.  Mid 30's on Saturday.  Won't be much different than here.

Northwest Arkansas here.  The forecasts vary between 1 inch and Planet Hoth.  Makes me think they think it's a huge event and they don't want to commit to it.  

12 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Northwest Arkansas here.  The forecasts vary between 1 inch and Planet Hoth.  Makes me think they think it's a huge event and they don't want to commit to it.  

That tells me that someone, somewhere between KC and central Oklahoma is getting butt fucked and they just aren't sure on who is getting the brunt of it.

2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

That tells me that someone, somewhere between KC and central Oklahoma is getting butt fucked and they just aren't sure on who is getting the brunt of it.

That sounds right. Locally they are saying 4"-8" but southeast of here, Joplin and the like, they are showing 10+. Somebody is getting clobbered, they just don't know who yet.

4 minutes ago, mooseoutfront said:

I know it’s a weather thread, but it’s always nice to cross paths with the critters around here. This is a young cow moose with last years calf that have been hanging out in our neighborhood. They are doing well, even at 30 below. 

142D9B05-9C67-4C05-8C21-E8F75AEA7B00.jpeg

big ask but would love for you to start a thread chronicling y'all's adventures and life up there.  fascinating to all of us Texas folks. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 6

15 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Denver/Boulder/Front Range snow predictions with this next blast tomorrow evening:

The newspaper here in Fort Collins said we're supposed to get 6 to 8 inches out of this storm and have lows below zero, along with 20 mph winds.

12 minutes ago, Updawg said:

Thirded

Next number. Fascinating. 

10 minutes ago, Chopper said:

The newspaper here in Fort Collins said we're supposed to get 6 to 8 inches out of this storm and have lows below zero, along with 20 mph winds.

Those winds up there must be cooking. This should be fast and dirty for us down range of you. this is headed to the south plains. It will marry up with gulf moisture and cause a ton of ice for them. The ice line is what they need to watch - that’s where the danger is from this. Poor Texas is in the danger area. Texas should be watching this storm as it hits Colorado. Ice doesn’t have to linger in order to cause damage. 

TLDR -

Colorado - I hope it is white and fluffy.   Not worried. The storm gets worse as it dips down southeast towards loved ones in Texas and surrounding territories. 

The South Plains: pay attention to ice line. Ice is a bitch from hell.

any salt works on ice. Margarita salt, bath salts, and Morton’s salt. It will melt it and make your journey outside easier. 

good luck and Godspeed to all. 

The boy lives off Prospect just east of campus and will probably have to be told by his Texas mother that snow is coming.

This winter storm was spawned by a blocking wall of high pressure off the west coast. The pent up cold arctic air saw an opening and it’s sprinting down south like an escaped convict with dogs on his tail.  

Arctic air is bitter cold when it’s screaming past you - pushed on by the jet stream. The cold is backing up in the northwest. The jet stream is dipping down and bringing cold into the plains. I think some people call these storms an “Arctic Express.”

I call these storms the “Canadian Curse.” 

13 minutes ago, DaysOff said:

The boy lives off Prospect just east of campus and will probably have to be told by his Texas mother that snow is coming.

Not a lot of hype for this one. 

We have had regular snow in Denver. It’s almost like living in the mountains - and then it is warm again. People are used to it. Thank goodness.

The clear days between storms have been great in Denver. We still need more moisture east of the Rockies. Or is Denver west of the Rockies? Anyway - I am praying for snow - light fluffy quiet snow out of this one. 

Edited by washparkhorn

26 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

This winter storm was spawned by a blocking wall of high pressure off the west coast. The pent up cold arctic air saw an opening and it’s sprinting down south like an escaped convict with dogs on his tail.  

Arctic air is bitter cold when it’s screaming past you - pushed on by the jet stream. The cold is backing up in the northwest. The jet stream is dipping down and bringing cold into the plains. I think some people call these storms an “Arctic Express.”

I call these storms the “Canadian Curse.” 

Is that the same as what we call a "blue norther" in Texas?

2 hours ago, DaysOff said:

I have a rental house over there with 3 college girls living in it, and my nephew is at the nice on-campus apartment building a block from the football stadium. I love living here. The ice has been hanging around a lot this year after the snow. Usually it melts away.

Hopefully the natural gas, electricity and water don't shut off.  Dunno looks bad.

A storm system is projected to track into the southern Plains by late Tuesday and then intensify across the Midwest and Great Lakes on Wednesday and Thursday. With widespread arctic air draped across the north-central U.S., the dynamics are coming together for a potentially significant event producing heavy snow, whiteouts and possibly thick ice accumulations.

Based on the latest model guidance Monday morning, the favored areas for ice would be in a zone from the southern Plains through the southern Midwest and eastern Great Lakes. The National Weather Service has already issued winter storm watches stretching more than 1,000 miles from Colorado to Michigan, anticipating ice and/or snow. More places may be added.

Related: Chaining up: 4 pro tips for truckers

In general, snow totals will reach 6 to 12 inches for many places, with some locations possibly getting buried by as much as 18 inches. 

https://www.freightwaves.com/news/major-winter-storm-aiming-at-midwest

i'm fascinated by the moose household lifestyle. one of my best friends has a similar setup on the southern shore of Lake Superior in Wisconsin, including the outhouse and extreme temps in the winter. but it's just a fun vacation spot, not a fulltime residence! that's amazing.

at the risk of freaking out surly menfolk's delicate sensibilities lol, i cannot imagine being a woman of...child-bearing age we'll call it, and living in those conditions without modern bathroom facilities 😐

i mean, i realize women have managed since time began. im just intrigued with the idea of how, particularly in sub-zero temps, wearing 10 layers of clothing and not even having a sink 🤨 kudos to mrs. moose! 

23 hours ago, Kennythetiger said:

I hit a cow cow on the road the other night. I suppose a collision with one of yours would be about the same. 

You don't want to hit a moose, those fuckers kill you when you hit them. Because of their height, you take their legs out and then a few hundred pounds lands on the cab of your car. There are signs all around north Vermont and New Hampshire to warn "Brake for Moose!"

11 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

You don't want to hit a moose, those fuckers kill you when you hit them. Because of their height, you take their legs out and then a few hundred pounds lands on the cab of your car. There are signs all around north Vermont and New Hampshire to warn "Brake for Moose!"

Like hitting a horse with spikes coming out of it's head.  No Bueno

Yuck. Sounds like Mass is about to get hit with some freezing rain tomorrow. That front that was over the midwest is coming our way. Our temps are above freezing, so it's just rain. But tomorrow the temp will drop.

https://www.wgbh.org/news/local-news/2022/01/28/a-brief-but-delicious-history-of-the-french-toast-alert-system

How's your time in Tulsa? I live about 60 miles northeast of there...

A family friend passed away unexpectedly this week and the funeral is this afternoon.

I’m still up in Hoth, although my understanding is that Tulsa isn’t in much better shape.

I might head down early tomorrow but it doesn’t seem worth it to spend 18 hours on the road for a 2 hour concert

21 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

A family friend passed away unexpectedly this week and the funeral is this afternoon.

I’m still up in Hoth, although my understanding is that Tulsa isn’t in much better shape.

I might head down early tomorrow but it doesn’t seem worth it to spend 18 hours on the road for a 2 hour concert

Sorry to hear that 😕

22 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Would we though? I’m in 100 degree (or at least feels like it) heat every summer. I’m certainly not used to the ceaseless nature of it, but it’s not like we lack the baseline capacity.

That’s not the point. Of course you could move to Houston and adapt to the 100 degree humid sweat factories in the summer. The same for Moose man moving from Texas and acclimating to 30 below Alaska. Most people are unable to handle unexpected events. Texas freaks out during ice or snow because it’s rare and unexpected. People aren’t prepared. I visited New Hampshire one summer and the state shut down for an unexpected heat wave of 93 degrees. I laughed at them, but most houses don’t have AC and people actually died. 

I moved to Mountains, and it when it snows. They have crews that salt the road, and our neighborhood pays someone to plow the roads. The grid doesn’t shut down. It’s not a big deal. Because it’s not unexpected. 

Yeah when I was up north, roads got sanded and plowed, utility lines were buried, and I had clothes to handle the cold. 

at least I still have the cold weather gear. 

down here, maybe the bridges and overpasses get sanded, but there’s only enough sand for one storm.  Many people don’t have a nice heavy coat. When it gets cold here, guys dig out their hunting gear and wear it.  There’s a reason Texans are famous for skiing in jeans. 

8 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

It seems like the frequency of winter events in Texas is increasing to the point that y’all need to start prepping more than the past required

It really isn’t. Same shit we have every year. Just everyone hears everyone’s bitching about it. Last year was once in a lifetime. People need stop making mountains out of mole hills

4 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

It really isn’t. Same shit we have every year. Just everyone hears everyone’s bitching about it. Last year was once in a lifetime. People need stop making mountains out of mole hills

Yeah and there are plenty of years with 0 frozen precipitation. Outside of electricity concerns there is little need to change too much infrastructure. 

Edited by SimonBolivar

18 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

It seems like the frequency of winter events in Texas is increasing to the point that y’all need to start prepping more than the past required

Things like this week happen every winter for much of the state. For one or two day events, it’s easier to just shut down for a day or two than spend the time/money/energy to keep things running. 

high temps up north don’t come with the same burdens. 

Things like this week happen every winter for much of the state. For one or two day events, it’s easier to just shut down for a day or two than spend the time/money/energy to keep things running. 

high temps up north don’t come with the same burdens. 

Very true on your last sentence. Excessive heat does almost nothing to the infrastructure, and a lot of the things we do to prep for winter come in handy during heat waves, like insulation.

1 minute ago, SimonBolivar said:

Yeah and there are plenty of years with 0 frozen percepitation. Ouside of electricity concerns there is little need to change too much infrastructure. 

Concur. About every 4-5 years we have a pretty good freeze that shuts our small plant down for 24-48 hours.  We get outrage and asked about winter proofing our system from upper mgmt. We say sure, it is possible, here is the price to keep us running an extra 24-48 hours out of a 4-5 year timespan (assuming equipment we use once every 4-5 years doesn’t have startup issues).  Since not even our youngest employee would live to see payback, and no lives are in danger, no one wants to commit the money (rightfully so). Rinse and repeat with new mgmt in a few years. 

• 2 weeks later...

Whiskey. Tango. Foxtrot.

It's gonna be nearly 60 today around Boston.

The nice thing - it will melt off most of the snow here. My yard's gonna be a swamp, but I will deal with that.

It appears we will have over freezing temps for at least this week and next. Maybe snow next weekend (which is good, I blew out the gear box of my snowblower during the last storm and I'll have time to fix it before the next snow).