Matrix Resurrection

Nole-4-Life

Probably posted this in the other thread…but man the original Matrix sucked me in (millions of others as well).  Saw it an an early screening in the OKState student Union as a freshman, where they gave us schwag like a first-edition poster (that appear to be worth like $100 now.)  Had bootleg VCD copies before it came out on DVD, watched it a zillion times, chased those Neo sunglasses, etc   

Someone else did a brilliant breakout of why that movie was special above, so I’ll leave it at that.  Reading y’all’s comments just makes me want to avoid it…feels like exactly what they did to the Alien franchise with that forgettable, confusing, pointless Prometheus flaming bag of dog shit left on the front porch of one of the best movies ever made.  Ugh.  

2 hours ago, Homercles said:

Had bootleg VCD copies before it came out on DVD, watched it a zillion times,

High Five Sacha Baron Cohen GIF by filmeditor

2 hours ago, Homercles said:

…feels like exactly what they did to the Alien franchise with that forgettable, confusing, pointless Prometheus flaming bag of dog shit left on the front porch of one of the best movies ever made.  Ugh.  

Alien 3 killed the Alien franchise.  Newt and Hicks go through all of that shit to survive in Aliens, and they just fucking kill them off immediately in the next movie.

Fuck that.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, Homercles said:

Probably posted this in the other thread…but man the original Matrix sucked me in (millions of others as well).  Saw it an an early screening in the OKState student Union as a freshman, where they gave us schwag like a first-edition poster (that appear to be worth like $100 now.)  Had bootleg VCD copies before it came out on DVD, watched it a zillion times, chased those Neo sunglasses, etc   

Someone else did a brilliant breakout of why that movie was special above, so I’ll leave it at that.  Reading y’all’s comments just makes me want to avoid it…feels like exactly what they did to the Alien franchise with that forgettable, confusing, pointless Prometheus flaming bag of dog shit left on the front porch of one of the best movies ever made.  Ugh.  

Prometheus was a fucking atrocity but it at least lived up to the technical aspects of the previous Alien movies. It looked good, it sounded good, it had cool aliens.

This movie isn’t good but my biggest disappointment is that it doesn’t look or sound good. The “cool” things from previous Matrix are gone. Fight scenes are poorly choreographed and hard to see because of bad camera work. Action sequences are all effects driven and not even good effects. It’s just not a fun movie to watch at all.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just watched it and thought it was a decent action flick but I have no desire to watch it again where I can watch the original Matrix over and over.  I guess I’m not too bright but all the sequels kind of confuse me with what I am watching and what is being explained to me where the original makes total sense and is a perfect movie in my opinion.

Same. I liked the new one from an action standpoint but had no idea what was going on toward the end because I’ve successfully purged the two other sequels from my mind. Also, Carrie Anne Moss has aged very well.
  • Drool 1

On 1/9/2022 at 4:11 PM, hobbes2702 said:

Prometheus was a fucking atrocity but it at least lived up to the technical aspects of the previous Alien movies. It looked good, it sounded good, it had cool aliens.

This movie isn’t good but my biggest disappointment is that it doesn’t look or sound good. The “cool” things from previous Matrix are gone. Fight scenes are poorly choreographed and hard to see because of bad camera work. Action sequences are all effects driven and not even good effects. It’s just not a fun movie to watch at all.

Fair points.  I guess the action cinema I enjoy the most has compelling characters that behave in a relatable way, such as the ‘space truckers’ of Alien or ‘another day in the office grunts’ of Aliens or the ‘these guys have seen some shit together’ soldiers of Predator’ or even the motivations of minor crew members in Matrix.  Prometheus had some of the dumbest supporting characters like the cartographer (who was the first to get lost) or the scientist (who touched space snake vagina creature) were obviously just fodder to support the scary concepts the script writers thought would look cool.  

And yes the Shaky-Cam crap sorta ruined the outstanding action in one of my very favorite trilogies in the Bourne series.  There the fight choreography was clever, echoing Jason’s training to utilize any resource available and his understanding that the optimal way to survive is to prioritize escape over fighting…such as ball point pens, rolled up magazines or the faceted exterior of a building to escape.  It was a smart movie in that regard but it was hard to follow as the camera never stopped moving.  Note he only ever ran when it was absolutely necessary. 

The Matrix was the opposite in that regard where bullet time allowed you to appreciate the inhuman reactions of the key players.  

Action for actions-sake only wows me when it’s congruent to the plot advancement framed with appropriately-advanced character development.  Maybe that’s why I can’t get into most MCU movies or the latest Star Wars movies.  

Edited by Homercles