Formula 1 2022

Anton Chigurh

The dark red matte Ferraris look off to me. Could be my tv but I’d like them to be more traditional Ferrari red.

I dig it. But the yellow (other than the Shell logos) needs to go.

Edited by wood

13 minutes ago, wood said:

If I had to put money on it, my money would be on 'No'.

Yeah, I can't see Haas staying up there as the big teams develop their chassis over the season. I hope McLaren can climb their way up from the bottom, I think they are capable. I have no idea if Aston Martin is capable, the are pretty to look at at least.

1 minute ago, faps said:

Yeah, I can't see Haas staying up there as the big teams develop their chassis over the season. I hope McLaren can climb their way up from the bottom, I think they are capable. I have no idea if Aston Martin is capable, the are pretty to look at at least.

Yep. Imho it depends on how much Ferrari help they're going to have with the upgrades & how much Gene is willing to spend on them. But who knows. They could slip back but limit the damage just based on PU strength alone, if current form holds.

I tried the trial version of the F1 app and am cancelling it as it thought it sucked.  Yes, you have the choice of watching the race from the broadcast view as well as the track positions of the driver or the driver view but you can't do it at the same time... No split screen of mix - let me see broadcast view but hear the specific driver radio I want to gear or pop-up the track position map on demand or as an overlay. They don't make canceling the trial easy either...

4 minutes ago, Grimas said:

I tried the trial version of the F1 app and am cancelling it as it thought it sucked.  Yes, you have the choice of watching the race from the broadcast view as well as the track positions of the driver or the driver view but you can't do it at the same time... No split screen of mix - let me see broadcast view but hear the specific driver radio I want to gear or pop-up the track position map on demand or as an overlay. They don't make canceling the trial easy either...

Lol. That seems like some picky stuff there. 

I'm a big fan of it. But I also like the commentary during the race. If there is something specific about a driver, afterward I'll go back and watch the onboard.

15 hours ago, utee94 said:

Finally watched the race, Viva La Ferrari!  What a fantastic drive from Charles, and a great entire weekend for the team.

This season should be fun.

It really was... and I was the guy the other day that was questioning Leclerc. Saw a clip where he was saying that he made sure to let Verstappen pass at T1 so that he would have DRS to retake a few corners later. Smart stuff and executed perfectly. 

It was a great race for Charles, but I think the real question will be if he can be at the top of his game at basically every track, like Max and Lewis were last year. 

Historically, Charles has certain tracks where he’s just insanely good, Silverstone, Bahrain, Monza, COTA, most street courses. However, he also has certain tracks he really struggles at. Abu Dabhi is a big one, France and Mexico tend to not be great for him. Now that he finally has a car that looks like it will be capable of winning at most tracks, this year will be a big test if he can be consistently at the top, or if he will be up and down based on tracks he traditionally likes or dislikes. 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, ConferenceRoom said:

Is he bad at those tracks or has he been car limited at circuits where you can't pass?

He’s had bad performances almost every year at Abu Dabhi going back to 2019. It’s definitely a little hard to tell because the Ferrari cars have been so inconsistent and had so many weaknesses the last few years, but there do seem to be some trends at certain tracks.

This Ferrari has looked really good in all types of turns and conditions at both Barcelona and Bahrain so this year will be a great for him to prove he can perform anywhere because this will be the first year he’s in a car that doesn’t have glaring weaknesses at certain types of tracks. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

Interesting stuff from Scarbs. He thinks the ethanol might be attacking the spec fuel pumps, breaking down their plastic parts and housing. If so, then we could see others having the same issue.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 2

Interesting stuff from Scarbs. He thinks the ethanol might be attacking the spec fuel pumps, breaking down their plastic parts and housing. If so, then we could see others having the same issue.

RB said yesterday the spec fuel pumps were not the issue, but they did not elaborate beyond that.

50 minutes ago, wood said:

It’s looking like RB just said that to point the blame at a spec part, instead of their PU. Reports are now that it wasn’t the fuel pump, but they aren’t saying why it was. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

4 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
49 minutes ago, wood said:

RB said yesterday the spec fuel pumps were not the issue, but they did not elaborate beyond that.

Yep. He and Hughes also mentioned that it could be cavitation or vapor lock at lower fuel levels.

Just now, Burt Macklin said:

It’s looking like RB just said that to point the blame at a spec part, instead of their PU. Reports are now that it wasn’t the fuel pump, but they aren’t dying why it was. 

I didn't ever see where RBR said it was the pump. I only saw them saying yesterday that it wasn't the pump.

Would a fuel pump cause the steering issue that Max had before? And the battery recharge lights flashing at weird times during the lap? And then Checo's car just going kaput in the middle of a corner -- different than what Max had?

I think it's pretty clear what the issue is. 

gremlins-1.jpg

2 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Would a fuel pump cause the steering issue that Max had before? And the battery recharge lights flashing at weird times during the lap? And then Checo's car just going kaput in the middle of a corner -- different than what Max had?

In the video they said the steering issue was caused by a bent track rod that happened when the car was dropped down at the end of that pit stop.

2 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

It was a great race for Charles, but I think the real question will be if he can be at the top of his game at basically every track, like Max and Lewis were last year. 

Historically, Charles has certain tracks where he’s just insanely good, Silverstone, Bahrain, Monza, COTA, most street courses. However, he also has certain tracks he really struggles at. Abu Dabhi is a big one, France and Mexico tend to not be great for him. Now that he finally has a car that looks like it will be capable of winning at most tracks, this year will be a big test if he can be consistently at the top, or if he will be up and down based on tracks he traditionally likes or dislikes. 

Stupid question amnesty? What’s the reason for that? Are those tracks similar in some specific way that works well with his driving? 

8 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Stupid question amnesty? What’s the reason for that? Are those tracks similar in some specific way that works well with his driving? 

That can be a big part of it. Every driver has their own style and their own strengths and weaknesses, combine that with the car's strengths and weaknesses, track and weather conditions, etc, etc, and you typically get varying results from track to track even for the same driver/car package. Sometimes it can also be as simple as just consistently having a hard time getting the right setup for a particular track.

39 minutes ago, wood said:

That can be a big part of it. Every driver has their own style and their own strengths and weaknesses, combine that with the car's strengths and weaknesses, track and weather conditions, etc, etc, and you typically get varying results from track to track even for the same driver/car package. Sometimes it can also be as simple as just consistently having a hard time getting the right setup for a particular track.

That really was more my question. Obviously the driver will have their own quirks just wondered if the cars truly did also. I know the aero vs power but figured it was a bit more complex than that. Thanks

26 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

That really was more my question. Obviously the driver will have their own quirks just wondered if the cars truly did also. I know the aero vs power but figured it was a bit more complex than that. Thanks

Yeah there are a million variables which, among other things, can make even just setting up the car a massive challenge. Then when they do go down the wrong path, it's often a huge job just to figure out which variable or combination of variables made it go sideways. The same is true of car development.  And car development is something I left out in the above post. The car's development throughout the season, or lack thereof, can also at least partially account for varying performances, esp when considering different rates of development among the teams. So many things ...

The development battle this year is going to be intense, since the bigger gains are often made toward the beginning of a new ruleset era and get smaller as the seasons go by. So that battle will be one of the best, most fascinating aspects of this season imho.

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1

Apparently multiple Italian sources, including Duchessa (who’s the most reliable usually) are reporting Ferrari ran their engine in a pretty conservative mode at Bahrain since it was their first race with the new engines. If true, it means Ferrari could have a pretty decent engine advantage since their engine was already considered the strongest at Bahrain. Granted, other teams may also have been running conservatively due to the new E10 fuel. 

Just now, Burt Macklin said:

Apparently multiple Italian sources, including Duchessa (who’s the most reliable usually) are reporting Ferrari ran their engine in a pretty conservative mode at Bahrain since it was their first race with the new engines. If true, it means Ferrari could have a pretty decent engine advantage since their engine was already considered the strongest at Bahrain. Granted, other teams may also have been running conservatively due to the new E10 fuel. 

Yeah, if the report is true, apparently Ferrari is keeping it tuned down while they verify reliability. If they can win tuned down, then why turn it up, I guess. Sounds familiar.

47 minutes ago, wood said:

Yeah, if the report is true, apparently Ferrari is keeping it tuned down while they verify reliability. If they can win tuned down, then why turn it up, I guess. Sounds familiar.

Yeah, it’s hard to say how much they can turn it up compared to others obviously. I expect RB trimming weight and continuing to develop plus Merc figuring out the best solution to the porpoising (first big upgrades coming around race 5) will mean Ferrari need more from the engine sooner than later, but every race they win without having to turn it up is a big windfall.
Ferrari also have a floor upgrade coming for Australia or Imola, so they’ll make their own aero gains as well.

It should be a fascinating season. With the regs being new, any team could figure something out and make a big jump in a short amount of time. 

I have no ill will toward Ferrari, but it has crossed my mind how everyone is talking about how they've nailed this change, ran a great race, had a faster car/better engine than everyone... but the 2019 scandal doesn't come up at all.

Once the FIA told them they couldn't do whatever the hell they were doing a few years ago and swept it under the rug, the team stunk... until now. Yet no one really brings that up. 

Instead it seems like it's this Ferrari redemption "We're back!" story. Instead of a "we were doing something that was a grey area and sucked when we couldn't do it anymore" story.

I hope for the sport's sake there ain't nothing fishy going on.

Edited by FirstTimeCaller