Formula 1 2022

Anton Chigurh

13 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

There was a mission attack on an Aramco facility 10 km from the track, but they finished FP1 anyways and are currently running F2 Qualification. F1 gonna F1. 

Remember when Bernie censored Force India during a free practice because they had the audacity to complain about team members getting caught in the middle of petrol bombs in Bahrain? 

So the missile attack was by a rebel group that’ at war with the Saudi Arabian government and they decided to specifically target Aramco, who’s one of the largest F1 sponsors and the reason the Jeddah race exists. 

FOM and the team principals met and unanimously agreed to race. The Drivers have been meeting for over 2 1/2 hours now. Obviously they are split and trying to reach a consensus.

If only this weren’t in relation to a potential missile strike, we might be able to get a reenactment of this photo. 

34A4C752-B210-4FB7-8C17-D44B8A4C2CEB.jpeg

10 minutes ago, ConferenceRoom said:

Drivers should quit. There’s no guarantee the rebels won’t try to pull some shit. Saudís can’t guarantee their protection. The race should never have been approved in the first place.

Maybe I’m underestimating F1’s soullessness, but I can’t believe it’s even a debate. Saudi Arabia is literally at war, a missile just hit 7 miles away, but all the team principals are fine with putting their employees’ lives on the line for a stupid fucking race. Crazy. 

Even if Toto doesn’t actually care, shouldn’t Merc and Aston Martin have voted against it since they know their cars suck relevant to the competition? Skipping this race would be the second huge windfall in a row for Merc and Lewis. 

19 minutes ago, ConferenceRoom said:

We will be racing. Cool…

I dunno about cool.  A terrorist incident happened 10km away from the track during FP1 and they're still racing?  Fuck that.  I mean, I'll still watch, but I think the race should be canceled.  What are the odds something bigger is planned for the race?  High enough to cancel, IMO.

8 minutes ago, dieucla98 said:

What I would give to be a fly on the wall of that driver's meeting. I'm sure Max and Lewis were not on the same side of this issue and neither are the type to take a back seat (they're F1 drivers, duh).

I wonder what Seb is thinking. He is one of the elder statesmen. Wonder if he wishes he were there to make a stand or happy as hell he isn't in the middle of it all.

14 minutes ago, dieucla98 said:

What I would give to be a fly on the wall of that driver's meeting. I'm sure Max and Lewis were not on the same side of this issue and neither are the type to take a back seat (they're F1 drivers, duh).

Everything I've seen from Max says he wouldn't care at all and hopes that others drop out to improve his chances of winning. Everything I've seen about Lewis says he will say it is wrong to race, make a comment saying that safety is the most important thing and how he doesn't feel safe... and then race anyway. Maybe he wears a helmet that says "Keep drivers safe" or something while he does it.

Edited by FirstTimeCaller

Everything I've seen from Max says he wouldn't care at all and hopes that others drop out to improve his chances of winning. Everything I've seen about Lewis says he will say it is wrong to race, make a comment saying that safety is the most important thing and how he doesn't feel safe... and then race anyway. Maybe he wears a helmet that says "Keep drivers safe" or something while he does it.

Weird take.
  • Like 5

BBC is reporting part of what convinced the drivers to race is the difficulty they’d have leaving SA if they didn’t race. Realllyyy glad F1 has sold out so hard to all that Middle East oil money. 

If that is true, F1 should never go back there. Which means Greg Maffei will schedule 2 more Saudi races because he's a terrible person.

13 hours ago, NoName said:

literally no one - that guy is acting like i am saying that the entire reason AM/Williams/McLaren are at the bottom is due to the Mercedes PU, which all i (and you?) were saying is that teams with Mercedes PU are under performing basically across the board. all Mercedes powered teams have (pretty) major issues, which as far as we can tell so far, include a lack of power from the PU compared to Ferrari and RBR PUs

Yep. That's why I asked the question. Of course, there was no answer. Poster seems to have gone missing.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ConferenceRoom said:

Drivers should quit. There’s no guarantee the rebels won’t try to pull some shit. Saudís can’t guarantee their protection. The race should never have been approved in the first place.

Send in the storm troopers

9 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

BBC is reporting part of what convinced the drivers to race is the difficulty they’d have leaving SA if they didn’t race. Realllyyy glad F1 has sold out so hard to all that Middle East oil money. 

Why would it be difficult for them to leave?

11 minutes ago, ConferenceRoom said:

They wouldn’t be allowed to leave by their hosts. Like I said, they should never have made this deal in the first place.

Hold them against their will?  That would be a very bold move.

is it just me or is the commentator audio track slightly ahead of the international feed? seems like they react to things right on top of when they happen.  when tsunoda's engine popped the audio of them saying 'hear that' was right on top of the pop. 

Latifi brushed the wall. Max jumped the curb in Turn somethingorother and caught air. 2 hours to repair Gasly's car for qualifying. Bottas driving like his hair is on fire.

Things are getting interesting.

Edited by RPM
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
3 hours ago, leaf said:
Yes, serious

MBS didn't think twice about chopping a journalist into pieces in an embassy. Why would he care about some F1 drivers?

Because Mercedes generates about $180B in annual revenue (Top 40 in World) and their F1 team is valued >$1B.  Might be some repercussions if MBS decides to cut up, or even detain, their drivers.  Latifi and Albon might be fucked though.  Moot point regardless as we are racing this weekend with some potential bonus fireworks in the background.

Edited by Bodhi

42 minutes ago, Bodhi said:

Because Mercedes generates about $180B in annual revenue (Top 40 in World) and their F1 team is valued >$1B.  Might be some repercussions if MBS decides to cut up, or even detain, their drivers.  Latifi and Albon might be fucked though.  Moot point regardless as we are racing this weekend with some potential bonus fireworks in the background.

They literally detained WWE once.