Formula 1 2022

Anton Chigurh

33 minutes ago, elfenix said:

bit of a clown show by race control to put marshals on the track without a safety car

This. Virtual safety car shouldn’t be longer than a min. Put the safety car out there, but it damn sure should be out there with people on the track and cars still powering by. Max’s blown tire last season on the straight by himself last year comes to mind. 

Go Leclerc!!. 2-0 v Sainz 

Edited by ChickenSandwich

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

having JB on the broadcast is such a +

Yeah I love his insights, really great to have him around.

Was hoping LeClerc could hold off Max but two Ferraris on the podium again, is a beautiful thing.

Fred and DannyRic DNF on the other hand, is not a beautiful thing.

Man, Leclerc had almost two seconds on Max before that last VSC. It definitely seemed like he was going to be able to hold him off. He lost about a second coming out of it, and then Max had too much straight line speed once he got in the DRS. 

Still though, that was some extremely good racing for about 8 laps at the end. I can’t really think back to a stretch of prolonged battles for the lead like we’ve had the last two races. 

Man, Leclerc had almost two seconds on Max before that last VSC. It definitely seemed like he was going to be able to hold him off. He lost about a second coming out of it, and then Max had too much straight line speed once he got in the DRS. 

Still though, that was some extremely good racing for about 8 laps at the end. I can’t really think back to a stretch of prolonged battles for the lead like we’ve had the last two races. 

Max somehow gained 3+ seconds under VSC. It was like 4.4 before the VSC and like a second after it.
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Max somehow gained 3+ seconds under VSC. It was like 4.4 before the VSC and like a second after it.

I’m pretty sure it was about 1.9 before the yellows hit. It did jumpy to over 4 at some point but the real gap was about 2. The slowing under yellow and  the VSC are still funky, because someone always seems to lose or gain a good bit. 

Charles also had terrible luck with the Albon/Stroll crash on lap 48. He was about half a second back with DRS coming and probably would’ve gotten Max, but then didn’t get it because of the waved yellows and he never got that close again. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The only people who whine as much as Verstappen are the people cheering against him. 

What I took out of today is that just plain sucked for Pérez and the new regs seem to be working. We'll see on the more classic tracks, though.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Hook 'Em 4

46 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

I’ve kind of liked Max but have completely flip flopped. His constant whining and begging for race control to help him is beyond annoying. 

Honestly, I completely tune out all driver radio at this point. It's all always just some variation of, "The guy in front of me is being unsporting in a manner that I would never dream of being! Somebody do something!"

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Someone on Reddit looked at the onboards and Charles was 1.8 up at the VSC. It got to 4 but Max could catch up because he was below the required delta. However when it turned green Max was only down .9, so he did gain almost a second and critically it put him in DRS which starts right away after the VSC.

So yeah, the VSC giving Max .9 basically won him the race. Safety car with no DRS for 2 laps would’ve been better/more fair. They clearly don’t have VSC down well enough to get the gaps close enough to be reliable. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I’m pretty sure it was about 1.9 before the yellows hit. It did jumpy to over 4 at some point but the real gap was about 2. The slowing under yellow and  the VSC are still funky, because someone always seems to lose or gain a good bit. 

Charles also had terrible luck with the Albon/Stroll crash on lap 48. He was about half a second back with DRS coming and probably would’ve gotten Max, but then didn’t get it because of the waved yellows and he never got that close again. 

Yeah, just re-watched and it is pretty much what you said. It was like 1.7-1.8 then jumped up to 3s immediately after the yellow was converted to VSC. Gap probably moved around from there some, too.

Then it was pretty much right at a second when it ended.

Ocon was saying the cars are definitely much better at following, and should be much better “everywhere”.

21 minutes ago, ConferenceRoom said:

He caught up to meeeeeeee

I hate Verstappen probably more than the next person.  And, I certainly don’t hold myself to be anywhere near their level. I also don’t think I am a whiny person and would think most people that know me think I am pretty nice.  But, stick me in a race with  all that adrenaline and competitive juices pumping and I have said some pretty dumb things over the radio even to people I think of as friends so I don’t hold that mid race chatter against them.  

But, great freaking race amd I think we have our new generation with Russell likely to join the party.   

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Atxracer said:

I hate Verstappen probably more than the next person.  And, I certainly don’t hold myself to be anywhere near their level. I also don’t think I am a whiny person and would think most people that know me think I am pretty nice.  But, stick me in a race with  all that adrenaline and competitive juices pumping and I have said some pretty dumb things over the radio even to people I think of as friends so I don’t hold that mid race chatter against them.  

But, great freaking race amd I think we have our new generation with Russell likely to join the party.   

I'm normally in the same boat with race communications but today was different. He was throwing a massive fit for the last third of the race. 

Job hops for money. Good grief. He left Red Bull because he could see the writing on the wall with Max. He did Renault a big favor by dragging their car up to the podium a couple of times. He won a race last year, McLaren's first in almost a decade. Is he running out of time? Yes. Is he past it? No. Give him the car and he'll perform.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I said that last year.  I like him but, I think he’s been done for a while

I like what I/we see of him from a likable standpoint but he seems too professionally lackadaisical which is uncharacteristic of a champion driver. He also seems to make bad team choices which is half the battle.