Formula 1 2022

Anton Chigurh

If McLaren could just get their shit together with the new car it could be incredible racing.  I do think Danny Ric has to go after this year.  He just doesn't have it anymore IMO.
He was in front of Lando when his car shit the bed. The car is a piece of shit.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Buncha nonsense getting talked about Danny Ric up in here.

The last time he had a quick car, he finished 6th behind 4 world champions (3 at the time + Max) and 4 cars unquestionably faster than his. 6th without even finishing 8 of the 21 races.  He matched Max in wins, and in the 13 races he finished, he was never lower than 6th - a slower car never beat him.

I thought he should have stayed at RBR for another year and fought it out with Max, but I completely understand why he left with their proven history of favoring one side of the garage to the other.  Not sure where else he could have gone that would have been better in 2019.  There were only 3 good cars and he was leaving one of them.

Don't think of him as a true WDC driver outright, but in the grouping just below Lewis and Max - Leclerc, Checo, Sainz, Bottas.

With Lando coming in 7th, hopefully McLaren is a little closer to figuring it out and they can get the reliability there as well.  I'm absolutely pulling for Danny in Melbourne coming up - he's had some absolutely shit luck at his home race.  8 starts, 4 DNF, no podiums (4th is best finish).

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

I’m biased as a big Danny Ric fan but even I know there are plenty of races we can look at and question if he’s still got it. Today wasn’t one of those. He was just outside the top ten for points, before he car shit the bed. Maybe would have finished in front of Lando as well. McLaren has some big problems. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

2 of the last 3 races have been given to Max by safety car. Leclerc had him right when the VSC came on.

Yeah. It’s also fascinating to think how the race would’ve gone without the first SC. Checo had just pitted and came out stuck behind George, Charles was staying out with Max about 2.5 behind him.

Both safety cars definitely benefitted Max the most. 

• Like 1

I’m biased as a big Danny Ric fan but even I know there are plenty of races we can look at and question if he’s still got it. Today wasn’t one of those. He was just outside the top ten for points, before he car shit the bed. Maybe would have finished in front of Lando as well. McLaren has some big problems. 
And apparently Lando said other tracks will be worse because it is slow in corners. So back to fighting with Williams...

Fun race, even if ESPN did spoil the replay for me.
Glad to see the cars being able to run close has seemingly worked out. Hopefully we get racing like this all year.

How did you navigate to the race? If you use the Auto Racing category they have highlights with titles that spoil the event. Use the F1 category and you shouldn’t run into that.

17 minutes ago, ConferenceRoom said:

How did you navigate to the race? If you use the Auto Racing category they have highlights with titles that spoil the event. Use the F1 category and you shouldn’t run into that.

In the ESPN app on the Xbox, which is what I'm using on my living room TV, I have to select Auto Racing first and then I can select F1. F1 isn't in the first list of choices.

A lot of Ricciardo apologists. Dude chose to leave the second best car in the sport because he was worried about being relegated to the second seat. The horror, being the 4th most important driver in F1. Now, two teams later, he's definitively proven that he's the 2nd best driver on his current team. But it's the car's fault.

He went looking for greener pastures, and it bit him square on the ass. No need to overthink it.

• Hook 'Em 1

A lot of Ricciardo apologists. Dude chose to leave the second best car in the sport because he was worried about being relegated to the second seat. The horror, being the 4th most important driver in F1. Now, two teams later, he's definitively proven that he's the 2nd best driver on his current team. But it's the car's fault.
He went looking for greener pastures, and it bit him square on the ass. No need to overthink it.

Yeah, Danny, just sit there and take being another Mark Webber. You’re important. Or something.
  • Hook 'Em 2

Oh, maybe. I didn't scroll down that list. It's probably like 20 down that. Will try to remember for next time.

I also wish you could select the live one but start it at the beginning. It sucks having to wait until the event concludes before you can watch the on demand version.

Their app is just clunky.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ConferenceRoom said:

Yeah, Danny, just sit there and take being another Mark Webber. You’re important. Or something.

I understand his logic for leaving, but there's not really much argument that, thus far, the decision has failed. And not just because of the car.

He didn't want to be the 2nd fiddle and he's probably never going to be in as good a car again.  He's made more money, so he's got that going for him at least.  He's not great at picking teams if he is serious about winning.  I like him, but he's not as good of a driver as he thinks he is.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 1

I don't begrudge anyone leaving a team run by Horner. I wish Ric could have landed in a better situation than Renault. That ended up being unfortunate.

F1 is like that though. Alonso has had multiple unfortunate team changes. It's not a spec series, so politics, budget, and luck are just as much of the overall equation as driver skill 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

He's been on par with Lando this year and I don't think anyone here thinks Lando sucks. They just have a shit car.
  • Hook 'Em 3

He didn't want to be the 2nd fiddle and he's probably never going to be in as good a car again.  He's made more money, so he's got that going for him at least.  He's not great at picking teams if he is serious about winning.  I like him, but he's not as good of a driver as he thinks he is.

He definitely went to the Fernando Alonso school of team picking.

Meanwhile, Carlos Sainz has been much luckier (which is funny because he has literally been on the exact same teams Alonso has, just when they were actually pretty good).
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Mittens said:

Don't think of him as a true WDC driver outright, but in the grouping just below Lewis and Max - Leclerc, Checo, Sainz, Bottas.

I can agree with this minus Bottas (I think Bottas has the right passion, just not the skill).  That lack of attitude and team selection/positioning I was referring to is the difference to me between him and the others.  

1 hour ago, Anton Chigurh said:

He definitely went to the Fernando Alonso school of team picking.

Meanwhile, Carlos Sainz has been much luckier (which is funny because he has literally been on the exact same teams Alonso has, just when they were actually pretty good).

one might even say he's a smooth operator

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Checo deserves the #1 seat somewhere. He's likeable, not a bitch, and has serious racing skills. If he wasn't with RBR and relegated to being a prop for Max and Horner, he'd probably be near my favorite. 

I'm pretty vain though - I like Sainz because he loves golf. 🤷‍♂️

• Hook 'Em 1

Got curious and tuned in to Checos mic/cam on F1TV to see how he reacted when that shit went down w the pit/virtual safety car and the end of the race.

Dude is fucking CLASS.

Kept cool, thankful, knows his turn is coming and didn’t whine/say any thing stupid at all.

The best part was when he’s told at the end of the race…RBR radio guy “all good man….this podium doesn’t even have champagne”…

He replies, “ok…so a good one to miss then”.

Radio guy - “Yeah….if you’re gonna miss one….we’ll save it for Melbourne”.

LEGEND.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, VABuckeye said:

I know you guys love him because he loves Texas but I think he's lost a step.  Great personality.  Driver who job hops regularly for money and didn't give several teams time to develop the car under him.  JMO.

i mean, he's a top ~5 paid driver on the grid i think? makes ~15m / year for his 2 years deal at McLaren.

took ~10m in pay cut from Renault when he left for McLaren (~25m to ~15m)

i don't think anyone under the sun can blame him for leaving RBR when he felt that the team was going to be pretty heavily tilted towards Max for the foreseeable future (and correctly guessed it btw, not that it was a wrong move for RBR but he was right) for a chance to make $25m / year and be the clear cut #1 on a team?

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, aggie08 said:

imagine paying even a minimal amount of attention to the sport last year and thinking that the car had nothing to do with it.

his teammate has multiple years of experience under the current car. everyone who has driven it (including Sainz) says it's very difficult to drive compared to the others on the grid. Danny has a driving style that did NOT match the current car, lengthening the on boarding timeframe.

i read somewhere he was making between $5 and $10m as a RBR driver and he jumped to Renault and made $25m. if you think that is the "wrong decision", well..can't help you there.

Edited by NoName

22 minutes ago, NoName said:

imagine paying even a minimal amount of attention to the sport last year and thinking that the car had nothing to do with it.

his teammate has multiple years of experience under the current car. everyone who has driven it (including Sainz) says it's very difficult to drive compared to the others on the grid. Danny has a driving style that did NOT match the current car, lengthening the on boarding timeframe.

i read somewhere he was making between $5 and $10m as a RBR driver and he jumped to Renault and made $25m. if you think that is the "wrong decision", well..can't help you there.

Okay...so you're arguing that he did, in fact, leave a fast car primarily for financial reasons? More power to him--get yours while you can--but he also doesn't need white-knighting for opting to put himself in position where he's no longer competing at the top of the sport. He made his choice, and it's led to him being the clear #2 on a lesser team. It's not a knock; it's just reality. The car factors in, obviously, but that's life when you're no longer in one of the 6 seats in the sport where winning is a realistic possibility every week.

So just binged all of the F1 netflix series the past couple of weeks and now have watched the two races this year.  I am in.  

Just curious.  Do most people typically pick a team and support them or do they usually pick a driver and support him, not matter which team he jumps to? 

5 minutes ago, Mac8111 said:

So just binged all of the F1 netflix series the past couple of weeks and now have watched the two races this year.  I am in.  

Just curious.  Do most people typically pick a team and support them or do they usually pick a driver and support him, not matter which team he jumps to? 

Either or both, really.

I started watching in the 80s and have always been a Ferrari fan, so that's my team.  But there are also some drivers I like, and I'll pull for them no matter who they're driving for, even if it's the hated McLaren. ;)

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mac8111 said:

I picked a team, but I have favorite drivers, too. Some people just go with drivers. The cool thing about F1 is you don't even really have to support anyone to feel invested in the sport. There's so much drama and intrigue from race week to race week, sometimes session to session, that you can get your fill. 

• Like 1

I think it's primarily people following teams, but certainly some follow drivers only. I would wager the vast majority are like the above responses where you would follow a team and selected other drivers you would have a soft spot for.

15 hours ago, dieucla98 said:

Checo deserves the #1 seat somewhere. He's likeable, not a bitch, and has serious racing skills. If he wasn't with RBR and relegated to being a prop for Max and Horner, he'd probably be near my favorite. 

I'm pretty vain though - I like Sainz because he loves golf. 🤷‍♂️

Where, though?  Williams?  Haas? 

Checo isn't going to leave Red Bull. He's entering the twilight of his career and he has the opportunity get a couple of more race wins to his name which is the maximum he's going to get at this point. There's even a small chance he gets lucky and gets a WDC but I don't think anyone believes that will happen. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Okay...so you're arguing that he did, in fact, leave a fast car primarily for financial reasons? More power to him--get yours while you can--but he also doesn't need white-knighting for opting to put himself in position where he's no longer competing at the top of the sport. He made his choice, and it's led to him being the clear #2 on a lesser team. It's not a knock; it's just reality. The car factors in, obviously, but that's life when you're no longer in one of the 6 seats in the sport where winning is a realistic possibility every week.

Danny struggled with the car last year, no doubt.  But this year he's been right there with Lando in practice, quali and in races, they just have a shit car that is not competitive.